1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Vinery's Mirror Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by thevinery, Jul 1, 2008.

1. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Hey all-

I'm taking advantage of the new JSF blogs but have found it kind of quiet and lonely over there... glutton for attention that I am, might start posting a "mirror" of my journal over here as well.

Off we go...

2. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

1st post over at the blog...
    Now with more starting

Posted June 2nd, 2008 at 03:37 PM by thevinery
    Updated June 23rd, 2008 at 04:58 PM by thevinery
    NO WORKOUT
    I can happily say that since my first posts to JSF I've dramatically changed the way I eat, am getting more exercise, and fixed a lot of misconceptions about the best way to get fit and healthy. Sadly, I've never been able to keep consistent for long enough to turn that newfound knowledge into the smokin hot body I want - life seems to intervene. I've had a few forum diaries on here which will chart a stop-start progress I'm sure many of you will appreciate. I'm going to move house to the blogs over here (which is a format I'm much more comfortable with anyway!) and chronicle the rest of the progress.

My final school exam for my MSc degree is tomorrow morning, and I'm deep into final preparations. I'd love to say that I've managed my schedule so superbly that I've already worked in my lifting and exercise for the day energized and ready to hit the books, but the truth is I'm not planning to work out today and will be pleased if I can just keep my eating in check while I focus on my schoolwork. And the no alcohol mandate of any good lifter? I am SO going out and celebrating this last exam tomorrow. We'll see how we feel about alcohol restrictions after my day of celebration...

In any event, I'm here. Look forward to workout posts and scraps of thoughts from the books I'm reading, etc. I'll look forward to logging in here pretty damned close to every day and getting this done.

My birthday is in mid-October, which means I've got 4 1/2 months of good solid work available before my 26th birthday. I'd like to take a trip home around then - a trip including family and friends, old boyfriends and old crushes, etc. It's always nice to look better than the last time someone saw you. Younger would be nice too, but I'll take what I can get.

See you soon.
    C.

3. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Up to date...

End of June; phase 1 complete.

Posted Yesterday at 10:35 AM by thevinery
    Updated Yesterday at 10:25 PM by thevinery
    CARDIO PLANNED
    FOOD PERFECT 1077cals 35F/31C/34P

I'm feeling much more myself after a weekend of quiet and reading (and bike shopping!), and ready to get back to work. I've been hiding out at home a bit to avoid the peak fare train ticket (now £5 round trip to work!?! :mad:) but am headed in now. I've got loads to do today but am looking forward to hitting the routine with a little more enthusiasm than I was able to muster last week.

I've decided to go back to explicitly tracking calories for a while as my progress has stalled just a little bit. I'm trying to keep a 1.5lb/week pace. The lack of cardio and slightly higher calories are, I'm sure, almost entirely to blame. Added to the fact that some of what I lost last month was water weight, I've got to step up the game a bit these next four weeks to keep on pace.

The good news is that if I DO keep it up, I should be 132 by the end of July and a fantastic 126 by the end of August when I take a trip back home. It would be absolutely brilliant to head back to see family and friends (and a few old flames) at a weight I haven't seen since about 2002 or 2003. I'm going to cut through September and see where it takes me, but at the current rate of progress I will without question be in the best shape of my life before my birthday in October -- which is the whole idea. Aging backwards, per Justita's excellent example.

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of lifting. Moving the weights to my room was a brilliant idea. My schedule is hectic and changeable, and concerns about missing the gym were getting in the way. I think eventually I'll have to sign up for the gym membership again as some of the weight gets higher, but I've got a month or so of progress to make that I think can be made just as well at home.

Back to focus, back to Monday. Wish me luck. Am tracking food as I go today to keep me on target.

FOOD:

--Breakfast: egg white omelet (3 whites) with the tiniest sliver of cheese plus tomatoes. Also two very small slices whole grain bread with a tad of butter and a bowl of tomatoes.

--Snack: few hazelnuts, 2 walnuts, 2 brazil nuts

--Lunch: Chicken 4oz

--Meal 3: Chicken 4.5oz and tomatoes

--Snack: Apple

--Snack: Pear

--Meal 5: 1/2 can tuna on half a cucumber.

4. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

July Update

July Update

Posted Today at 11:35 PM by thevinery
    I started this journal in early June (not June first, but who's counting) and although it took me a while to put out some academic fires and focus (getting diet back on track, getting lifting back in) I'm counting this as one month back into dedicated cutting and lifting. I'm going to record new measurements and stats on the first of each month until the birthday in October. I'm also taking pictures tomorrow - which I won't post until I have progress to weigh them against on August 1.

Without further ado:

UPDATED STATS:
    June 2008 Weight: 144
    July 2008 Weight: 138
    Pounds Lost June: 6
    Pounds Lost Total: 6
    June Lifting/Bodyweight Sessions: 5 (just starting back up!! :))
    June Cardio: 10 (getting back to consistency)

MEASUREMENTS:

Neck: 34cm (down 1cm... surely a measurement error last time! :lol:)
    Shoulder: 101.75cm
    Bicep: 30.5cm
    Chest: 91.5cm
    Tummy: 70cm
    Lower Tummy: 80.5cm (1 inch below belly button)
    Hips: 102cm (one inch below leg crease)
    Thighs: 59.5cm (down 1cm)
    Calves: 39.5cm

So down a total of 2cm from my last measurements on the 18th - didn't expect to really see any change here and I'm not sure that the change I have noted isn't due to chance/error. Should get a better picture of what's happening a month from now, but at least now I have a better baseline.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:wave:
    I don't read the blogs much. Happy to have another journal to read.:)

I don't think you need the luck you requested. Everything seems to be going according to your plan.

Calories 1077 to lose 1.5 pounds/week? Is that from a formula? Sounds low, but maybe it will work for you.

Here's to being in good shape for your birthday, and growing more youthful every day. :tu:

6. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Thanks, Guava!

And yes, the 1077 is a bit low -- I'm aiming for about 1100-1200 per day, although there are definitely days where I'm closer to about 1300 or so (esp if there's any cardio involved). So it's balancing out. That said, one of my crippling habits has been eating at night (a bit of cottage cheese turns into a lot of cottage cheese turns into whatever), so right now if I hit about 9pm and am a bit low, I'm not adding extra food in while I train myself better habits. This hasn't left me starving on any nights yet, just very quietly slightly hungry on a few occasions.

Where does 1100-1200 come from? No formula (I think my metabolism is a bit f'd.), just trial and error. I did about six weeks of pretty strict cutting some months back aiming for 1300-1400 per day and simply didn't lose much -- I think about 3lb over the 6 weeks. Some of the failure was due to cheating, but even on weeks of perfect consistency the weight just wasn't shifting. For me, that rate of weight loss is completely demotivating and I fell out of habit quickly.

In any event, it's all up for revision as I go... we'll see how progress behaves over the next month. :)

7. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Tuesday lower session [​IMG]

Posted Yesterday at 11:09 PM by thevinery
    UPPER LIFTING SESSION
    FOOD PERFECT: 1136 F37%, C21%, P41%

Breakfast: Patented 4 egg whites omelet with sliver of cheese and tomatoes; three cut tomatoes; 2 slices whole wheat bread and a little butter.

5oz chicken

5oz chicken and a couple cherry tomatoes

3 pieces sushi (white rice, empty bad carbs, bla ba bla.)

latte

2-3 nuts each - brazil, hazelnuts, walnuts.

• Tri Set 1:
      Dumbbell Upright Rows: 5kg X 12, 11
      Dumbbell Curls: 5kg X 12, 10
      Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions: 6.8kg X 10, 10

• Tri Set 2:
      Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions: 5kg X 15, 12 (need weight up)
      Lunges: 12X2, 12X2 (balance still sucks; having trouble taking large enough steps)
    • Tri Set 3:
      XDumbbellX Wall Squats X 8,xxx (abbreviated, will do two sets tomorrow... the wall I use is shared with my flatmate, and I keep hitting it when my form is off!!! he he...)
      Stiff Legged Dead lifts 5kgX2X15, 15 (weight low for form but will up next time)
    Of note, my squat form is already improving - the wall sits really help. I've read so much contradictory advice on form and had been stopping WAY higher than I need to be -- with the wall sits, have been concentrating on really sitting as low as I can instead of the near 90 degree foolishness I was doing before. Feels much more natural and much more safe!! I need to keep my attention on having my back arched and keeping my weight a bit forward, or I fall out of form and tip back right as I'm pushing back up from ground. I've had this happen in the weight room before - part of what has scared me off squats. In any event, will add squats in tomorrow to make up for missing this today. Eager to drive the form into my brain so I can add the weight in...

8. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

6 pounds in one month is great progress:tu:
    Glad you are posting here too, as like Guava I also forget to look in the blogs:o

9. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

slight tip off the wagon... but back to form

Posted Today at 01:11 PM by thevinery
    FOOD OVER ON CALS (But good on macros)
    approx 1700
    NO CARDIO - MAKE UP!!
    137.24lb/62.25kg

Yesterday was a day of endless procrastination, very little work, and spotless food until about 9 or 10 at night (was until about 2). I haven't fallen apart on the late-night eating thing for a while, and this wasn't exactly a cave-in, but I'm feeling rather sheepish.

During the day:
    Breakfast - omelet w/4 egg whites and very small bit cheese, grape nuts and milk, 2 tomatoes.

Meal - tuna/couscous

Meal - tuna/couscous

Meal - about 3-4oz chicken

Treat - very small piece apple cake

I even went to the store and picked up another chicken (which I roasted last night and should last til or to Friday) and salad in case I was hungry because I hadn't broken up my meals that well during the day. And then while cooking and cleaning etc the chicken, added in:

another 4 oz chicken
    kimchee
    1-2 shots of Baileys. :o

I'd just picked up the Bailey's for my housemate and didn't resist it. I don't even LIKE the stuff that much.

Ah, well. The damage wasn't so great, just feeling foolish. I also got home so late I had to choose between cardio or chicken, and I didn't want to buy food for the next three days. Will make up cardio today.
    ----------
    Feeling seriously off my game in terms of work/academic concentration. I don't know what the hell's going on.

Also have a phone conference at 6pm today with my old boss about a project I'm still involved in (and should be writing a paper on). These stress me out, for whatever reason. I sort of dread the call during the day...

Oh, good news though! Despite last night's slip, scale is down! I don't have any illusions it will STAY down as it's a broken, lopsided and changeable thing, but it's down nonetheless.

10. Acedog

Acedog Well-Known Member

I just noticed that there were blogs yesterday. I thought of using them, but it seems that this journals section may be a little better to watch each other, get some input, exchange ideas, etc. It's really nice to see what works/doesn't work here in this forum.

From your stats, it looks like you're making good progress.:tucool: Keep up the good work. Sometimes I envy you younger folks since I used to keep in shape in my 20s but blew it when I hit 30. Stay strong and make it last a lifetime. :)

11. hornguy

hornguy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side of journaling :evil:!

I must say, I like the blog format a bit better visually, but the interaction of this can't be beat.... Keep up the good work!!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on the weight drop; you're definitely seem to be more focused on your nutrition.

Since there' s been some recent journal/blog discussions I hope you don't mind if I ask you (or anyone else who wants to chime in) what are the benefits of the blog over keeping a journal? In other words, since I keep a journal what benefits would accrue to me by keeping a blog also? Thanks for any advice.

13. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Thursday upper session

Posted Today at 09:35 PM by thevinery
    CARDIO (Running 22min)
    UPPER SESSION
    FOOD GOOD

1100cal 50P/28C/21F

Food was back on track today, and my appetite is a lot lower than usual, prob because of the higher calories yesterday.

Working from home today was very nice. Got some editing work done, some academic work, am taking a break now and then working on an article I'm supposed to be handing in... oh, yesterday or so. :lol: I "watch" movies sometimes while I'm editing to take the edge off the tedium -- and, truthfully, it doesn't take a lot of brainpower -- and put on Sweeny Todd today. Enjoyed it, esp as it managed to make me pull away from the screen on several occasions and drop my jaw at the ooze and blood and guts. Every time I see Depp on the screen I find it remarkable that he's managed to scratch out such an interesting little niche for himself, the go-to guy for creepyness in relatively mainstream movies. He started acting late, too - had no interest or pretensions as an actor, and a buddy suggested one day he try out for one of his parts, etc. Ended up big old J DEPP. Well done.

Need to put my lifting numbers up - will get that into the post later tonight.

Oh, also? TOTALLY OUT OF SHAPE FOR RUNNING. From past experience I adapt fairly quickly, but today had be stopping for breathing breaks on my scant 22min run (about 25min total, I subtracted time for walking breaks). Hilarious. Looking forward to getting my breath back. Seriously out of shape on the cardio side of things.

UPDATE:
    (Girl) Pushups: 17, 13
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows (6.8kg): 20;20, 15;15 (added in 2 count hold at top of row, so reps went down)
    Bent Over Lateral Raises (3kg) 15 (10 good form), 12 (8 good form)
    Two Arm Dumbbell Rows (5kg) 14, 13 (added 2 count hold, reps went down)
    Pullovers (6.8kg) 9, 6
    Leg Raise: 15, 8 (now going ultraslow, reps went down)
    Crunches: 25

#13 thevinery, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  14. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Thanks! And really... nice to be the age I am and everything, but I think all of us think "if I had done this when I was younger..." I keep kicking myself that I didn't get my ass into shape when I was in college - was never overweight, never miserable with the way I looked, but always WAY softer than I would have liked and I think more self conscious than I needed to be. And since my senior year of college have been carrying noticeably too much weight (esp, as always, when naked). Plus, I had a tiny little waist back then -- if I'd gotten my act together I would have been a crazy hot little body! :lol: But, ah well -- no time like the present. Maybe I'll even get the waist back. ;)

Thanks! And yes, you've nailed it -- format works better on the blog, but part of the reason the site is so useful is that you get feedback and encouragement from everyone else (and get to give it too), which you miss on the blogs...

Selzer, I think my work's been partly done for me here -- as these guys are mentioning, the big benefit is the format. The reason I was excited about switching over to the blog format is it is an easier way for me to quickly scan through MY posts (and thus, my progress) because the focus is on what I posted as opposed to people's comments. It's a matter of having comments --attached-- to a post rather than just thrown in together with them (take a look at the blogs and you'll see what I mean). It's really a personal preference thing, but for me that's both more organized feeling and just more visually pleasing. I can scroll down, check my workout stats, get a better sense of what I've been doing and where I'm going, etc.

In theory, having a blog should allow you the nice formatting and still leave room for lots of discussion and interaction too... but since almost no one's using them that part is kind of left out right now. I'm sure it will change over time. For now, I'm double posting so that I kind of have two sets of journals -- one more for me, for ease of reading (blog) and one for interaction and being more participatory on the site (journal). Do I think you should do that too? Only if you're ridiculous and picky like me. If not... stick with the journals!! :lol:

And really, the thing to remember about the whole "blog" thing is that it's just a slightly differently formatted journal, that it treats comments differently -- allows people to comment but keeps focus on the original post rather than treating posts/comments as part of a general forum. The word is shortened from "web log", that is, basically, "web journal." There's nothing special or particularly techy about a blog -- just bad naming on someone's part, as "blog" makes it sound like a more confusing beast than it actually is... I'm simplifying a bit of course, but only the tiniest bit.

I used to run a science blog and when my relatives found out they kind of went... "Hey now, your run a what? A Blooog? Are you sure it's safe to have one of these bloog things on the internet?" If I simply said, "I have a science website" they instead said, "That's great! I got to get me one of those websites too!" :lol: A rose is a rose...

15. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

I can see 136!!!

Weight is down to 136.6 this morning!!!:spaz::spaz:

I've been sort of hovering between 137+ and 138+ for over a week, and it was starting to get to me a bit... thought I might just get stuck here. But in all things progress, chilling the f out and keeping up the work for a few days seems to have done the trick. Excellent. And that's with my higher cal day a few days ago... nice to see that (at least at this stage of the cut) an error doesn't throw me off forever.

I was thinking about stages of weight recently. The lightest I ever remember being with an adult body was 118 back in high school - although surely my hips had some broadening to do and such, etc after that, and I don't think I was at that weight for very long. The first few years of college I stuck under 130, between about 123 and 126. Third year about 133-135 at least. Final year I think was up to 140. The absolute highest I've ever hit was some time after that final year when I ballooned up to about 148, maybe even 150. I'm starting to look at my numbers and think "well, I've crossed off one year... I've crossed off two years..." I'm pretty close to "last year of college weight" now, which is a serious start. But that 123-126 weight is what's going to be really revolutionary, I think.

It's funny - I think I, like most people, cling to a particular weight in our heads as "how we really look" at times, sort of ignoring later and current heavier weights as temporary. I've done that. In my head, that 123-126 is how I really look, with a little sideline right now that's filled out the waist and the hips and the thighs and the arms... But the years were starting to pile up. If I thought of this weight as temporary for too much longer I'd start meeting sub-clinical delusion criteria... :lol:

Damn, it's good to be dropping this.

I was talking to a friend last night -- the friend who originally put me onto weight lifting over a year ago -- and telling him how easy it's been this time around; how dialed in I feel, how I look forward to rather than dread or skip workouts, how the lower cals makes a lot of difference, how I don't miss eating more and less strictly, etc. I think the idea of the birthday has really helped this click into place for me, for whatever reason. September is a huge push too - might go to a festival in the States with a friend I haven't seen in ages, and who was one of the best at making me feel pretty and appreciated when we were closer in touch. Am I doing it for him, for his opinion? Of course not. But shooting for a reaction is a nice little motivator when I need it, and fun to look forward to.

Ok. Off to work today, no more fun staying home for me as I'm loaded with work. :cry:

Take care, all.

16. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

July 4th Cheat meal

Posted Today at 11:00 AM by thevinery
    Taking the day completely off and having a scheduled big ass cheat meal for the 4th. Looking forward to having the treat and then buckling down for the rest of the month...
    ----
    UPDATE: mission accomplished. Bread, wine, prawns, sardines, polenta, a little bit of ricotta lasagna. And chocolate ice cream for dessert. None of these in massive quantities, but certainly well deserving of its cheat status. I'm not getting back on the scale until Monday at least. :lol:

Hope the holiday weekend is great for you all--
    c.

17. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

House cleaning

Posted Today at 11:09 AM by thevinery
    HOUSE CLEANING
    MISSED CARDIO
    MISSED LOWER

For several years in the states, I lived in a 30-person co-op in a college town, full of anarchistic hippy kids, quiet lawyers to be, an opera singer or two, a couple of pyromaniacs, a couple of rulesters, and a whole lot of kids willing to get their hands dirty to have some fun. This house, although brilliant, got dirty. Like, dozens of people dirty - the kind of dirt that just drifts off of human bodies, that you can't avoid, that gets stuck in the creases and corners of spaces until you vigorously and caringly scrub it back out again. And about 5 times a year those 30 people would come together for a 6am breakfast, start scrubbing at 6:30, and finish at about 5 or 6 o clock. Some years... some years the party then started at 7:30. :D The whole process was called "Work Holiday."

I live with three people now, but we still make our fair share of mess. Yesterday was a scaled down Work Holiday for us - massive house clean from about 11am until about 8 at night, plus an Ikea trip to grab the bits and bobs we realized we needed as we threw assorted crap away, etc. Got back to the house past 11:30... and opted to watch doctor who and go to bed. I'd planned to do cardio and lifting today but this took hours longer than I expected. As I was on my knees with a toothbrush/steel wool ball/scrub sponge all day, I'm not really bemoaning the missed cardio. Both to be made up tomorrow.

Food was decent if sort of scattered, more or less on calories. In no particular order:

1.5 pieces toast and avocado
    coffee and bailey's (one shot) to celebrate
    9oz chicken
    about 1.5 cups broccoli
    wheat toast with cheese and roe
    (about 5 fries off my housemates plate :lol:)

18. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Sunday running, lower session

Posted Today at 12:27 PM by thevinery
    Updated Today at 09:02 PM by thevinery
    CARDIO (23 min running)
    LOWER PLANNED
    FOOD GOOD
    1177cal 31P/31F/33C

Ran this morning (not fasted, after breakfast, was feeling weak and out of it and needing food!!) in the drizzly nasty British weather they call a summer. Temp was nice though, and it was generally easier this time than last.

Today needs to be a thesis day, although I'll take a break at some point to go get groceries for the week and am sure I'll watch a movie at one point or another. Also time to finish an article and send it in, as they're waiting for the manuscript at this point. Not sure about this article... kind of a throwaway effort with a friend, wasn't expecting it to get accepted for publication...

Also really enjoying the fact that today will be a clean foods day again, and more measured, planned eating than yesterday's house cleaning session allowed.

The total count on the food:
    breakfast: banana strawberry smoothie

rye bread with bit of cheese and roe

three tomatoes and tblspoon greek yogurt

6oz salmon and spinach

1 med carrot

very small piece whole bread (homemade!) and tuna

treats: 3 small squares chocolate

Bit low on protein, but decent.

#18 thevinery, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vinery, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Keep up the focus you've had and that goal of 123-126 is going to happen. You're on your way!

20. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

MONDAY

FOOD GOOD (2 glasses wine)
    1359 32P/26C/22F 11alcohol

Off to work. I've got salmon, spinach and tomatoes cooked yesterday for meals, and am just finishing my beautiful egg white omelet and grape nuts with strawberries... funny that eating clean can taste so good.

I'm going to stay away from the scale a bit right now... Starting now it should have an irritating bump in weight for the next week or so.

Food for the day:
    egg white omelet with tuna, grape nuts and strawberries

2 pieces homemade whole wheat bread and honey

salmon and spinach and tomatoes

salmon and spinach and tomatoes

few brazil nuts/walnuts

1/2 cup pasta (friends made dinner, I gestured towards participation... put me slightly over on cals but worth it)

2 glasses wine, 2 pieces chocolate

#20 thevinery, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008