1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The twinkie diet

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Whoracle, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Cliff notes:
    The guy says it's total calories that matter, not the macros. Sets himself a daily limit of 1800 calories and allows 2.3rds of that to be junk food for 10 weeks. He loses 27 pounds, his body fat% drops about 9%, his bad cholestrol went down and his good cholestrol went up.

So what do you think? While I'm not going to go to this guys extreme I'm going to worry less about nailing macros and more about nailing a daily calorie target. Seems to be working so far as I lost 2 pounds last week even though I went through thanksgiving.

2. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

3. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that a Twinky is good muscle-building food.

I'll still go with a good quality protein in the mix...:)

4. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

I think you'll get results just by hitting a daily caloric target. However, I also think macros are important if you want to get optimal results. There are many diets that will "get results", but that doesn't mean they're the best way to do it.

5. needachange

needachange Active Member

If you are simply looking to "lose weight" hitting a calorie target will work no problem. The only real difference between hitting a calorie goal and hitting macro goals is going to be the effect on overall body composition.

All diets have the same premise, calorie deficit. Keep a calorie deficit over time and you will lose weight. It's how you want to look in the end is where proper macros and weight lifting come in to play.