1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Time Has Come!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by kateykate, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I miss all that summer fruit, although grapes now seem to be year round for a reasonable price. I picked up a few pounds yesterday on sale. The other berries and such are available, but the price their prices are usually sky high.

Thanks for the linguistic lesson.

2. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Yeah I always forget how much I love berries, but they're often so expensive. We have a couple of raspberry bushes out the back, but they're not fruiting. I don't think they're big enough yet anyway. There are blackberries that grow wild (terrible weeds) on some of the walks around here, but these get sprayed occasionally, so I'm not game to pick more than a couple at a time.
    Oh the cost of fruit, I think I was eating cherries recently thinking that we buy them here at $14+ a kilo, down to about $6 or $7. So for people to make cherry pies (which doesn't happen here, but I assumed was the case in the US.. if that Warrant song was anything to go by! :P ) they must get pretty cheap. We make apricot jam, peach chutney, etc, but that's because my neighbours have a couple of apricot trees, and Nick picks all the peaches/nectarines/whatever is fruiting off the trees at his work.

It's stinking hot here. 45.6?c today, which is pretty freaking astronomical. Not the hottest day on record, but I think only by a degree. So I spent ages in the pool at my parents' house with my brothers and all the other kids and my dad... we ended up having a war that basically involved us ganging up on Nick. Not exactly exercise, but heaps of fun.

I have much more to write, but I'm stuffed. Nighto, folks!
    I don't know.

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:lol: That happens to me all the time too. There was a great theory from a book I recently read that goes something like "We live our lives to be able to tell a good story about it." There are so many things that I just wouldn't bother to do, if I didn't understand that they would later give me the opportunity to write about. So lame. :p

Great job on the anger redirection! :tu:

Normally I won't pay more than $2 for a pound of cherries, but I don't think we ever saw that price last summer. I think I bought them once, for about $7/kg. The canned cherries are quite a lot cheaper. I think part of the pricing of fruit is dependent on perishability and ease of shipping and because berries are so delicate, they're pretty unreasonably priced. I buy frozen berries and canned cherries when I can. They're usually just slightly cheaper than whatever price was the lowest possible available price for fresh during peak season. We can buy cans of "cherry pie filling" here. I used to buy it all the time, but now that my tastes have changed, I find it a little sickeningly sweet.

I actually had no idea that we had a "pick your own cherry farm" in Ontario. According to their website, it's $10 (Canadian, or about $8.20 US) for 2 1/2 pounds (about 5 1/2 kg). That's not a bad deal! I'm going to go next summer.

4. kateykate

That's a very good deal indeed! I told Nick I wanted a cherry tree. Our peach tree is just started producing a few fruit (it's still only a couple of metres tall) and what we have eaten is so much tastier than what I can buy. We don't get canned cherries here. Morello cherries in jars, but that's different, and not something people commonly eat. (Incidentally, I grew up thinking they were perfectly normal because my Hungarian grandparents used to always have them. It was only when, as an adult, I wanted to buy some realised they're not a common grocery item).

And, yeah-- my life is full of stupid adventures that then become crazy stories. Maybe I love the drama. :D

So this agility workout, a couple of times on Tuesday I really thought I was going to vomit. I really like it. I get a nice amount of muscle soreness afterwards, and I'm getting better at the moves as I do it, particularly the nutcracker curl (which is like, a wide legged jump squat, where you bring the legs in and then land with legs wide again, while holding a medicine ball).
    I don't know much about it, but I read something about plyometric exercises (like jump lunges, which are also a part of the exercise) as being really good for building the muscle that is involved in speed etc.
    I'm a slow runner, so this seems a good way to improve that.

It's still 43 degrees today. I left my drink bottle in the car for an hour and it was disgustingly hot afterwards. Gross.

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

nothing's worse than a tree chock full of not quite ripe cherries teasing the hell out of you only to get mauled by the f*#&n birds. maybe that's not the case in aussie.... but over here it is an absolute MISSION to actually get to eat cherries off ones tree.

6. kateykate

Haha! Nah, it happens here too! You drive past some houses, and they've got all sorts of crazy things like nets and cds and stuff hanging from their fruit trees in order to scare off the birds. It's pretty funny to observe, but I reckon that if birds were eating my cherries, I'd be pretty damned annoyed.

My little dog, Lil, went through a phase of stealing the unripe nectarines off the nectarine tree. Little minx!

This is the doggos running on the beach on Australia Day.

Attached Files:

7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

i envy ur dogs!!

they're super handsome.

great name!

i totally forgot about the CD thing!! :lol:

8. Avy

Avy Active Member

It was 50 C in out car which was left in the shade yesterday :eek:

9. kateykate

It's amazing isn't it? We had the hottest minimum temperature on record the other night. I generally love hot weather, but this particular night was bordering on uncomfortable! The gym was really stuffy as well (I think lots of buildings are!) so some of the trainers were walking around squirting people with spray bottles, which was kinda nice.

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Your big guy's cute!

Your weather hit the news here this morning. You guys are important!

11. kateykate

Fanks. I think they're gorgeous. :)

Heh.. I always maintain we're newsworthy, I just wouldn't have thought it was for a bunch of hot days. It's still warm here, but this morning was noticably cooler than last week. Actually, while we're on cooler mornings (and by cool, I mean, low 30s) I woke up at 6.30am on Sunday morning and decided that, well, I was up, it wasn't hot, so I walked the dogs. Was really really nice-- the heat wave has kept many people indoors so it was really peaceful.

On Monday, touch footy was cancelled.. I was so disappointed! Normally, if the temperature is 38 or under at 5pm, the games will go ahead as planned, but because of the heat wave the committee had made a decision to cancel all the games. The irony, of course, was that at 5pm it was 35 degrees, and seriously, after 45, 35 is fair near pleasant!
    So we went for a walk up the hill, and caught up to a couple that were walking up quite slowly. The woman was walking with those hiking poles which, well, to be perfectly honest, looked more than a little silly. Grace made me run past this woman with her in order to 'teach' her.. I don't know, something. Grace has some pretty funny logic sometimes.

My back and neck have been really sore today. I don't know why, but I took some ibuprofen and it didn't do much. :(

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Good luck with the pain...has that resolved itself yet?

Your dogs are both gorgeous - it was tres rude of me to focus on the big guy. I'm sure Lil won't mind, though. :)

It's a high of 7 here today. I think that, despite it being a bit brisk...it's still better than being 35 (much less 45). I don't envy you that. It's just too damn hot.