1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Time Has Come!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by kateykate, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Ha! The research scholarship has been great, but I feel incredibly time poor atm. Well, time poor for things like faffing about in the internet, because my minutes.hours.days are occupied with other important stuff like eating, exercising, studying, working, social rubbish and generally just being with the girls.
    Not that I haven't been at the very least *thinking* about my fitness journal, just that it seems that it's a considerable advance from thinking about something to actually doing it.

So, I lost 6.5kg. Or 14.3lb in the old money. :) Truth is, apart from what the scales were telling me (and, let's face it, the mirror, my clothes, etc)... I don't think I even realised I had that much to lose. My motivation was at best, shallow- I had a wedding to attend last weekend and was panicking at the idea that I had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to wear, and I wasn't prepared to buy anything new (I'm not a shopper). Plus, I was pissed at the idea that I owned something perfectly appropriate that just didn't fit right. And there's the cincher, really, isn't it?

So, I hit that treadmill and the exercise bike with furious dedication. I've been doing bike intervals (8 second sprints with 12 second rests) lots of hill walking (outside and inside), rowing and super sets of body weight exercises, like squats.

I also cut my calories to roughly 1200 a day. Which seems low, but I'm not very tall, and it seemed necessary. I was *very* careful with what I ate: lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegies, fortunately it's summer here so there's loads of stuff in season, and the garden has got lots of stuff growing (lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, spinach etc).

So... success!

The best bit was, after the wedding, I've still dropped a little more weight, and haven't had a great desire to go on some massive junk food binge. Quite the contrary: I'm keen to eat well and have managed to resist temptations a few times.

I had a look at the American Women's Health magazine website, and they have some great resources on there. I downloaded and printed an awesome agility workout (from their "20 minute workout series) that I attempted the other night at the gym. It was hard! The first exercise involved stepping on and off a high step with alternating left and right feet, as fast as possible, for 1 minute. Seems straight forward, I've done plenty of step classes in the past, but the alternating feet thing required more thought and coordination that I could initially muster... I suppose that's why this is an agility workout. ;)
    It also had jump squats with a medicine ball, hopping from foot to foot, and medicine ball pushups. It was sweaty stuff. Took me longer than 20 minutes-- I *think*-- and was absolutely exhausting. Plus, I'm super sore today! :D I must admit, my upper back and arms were a little stiff from touch footy on Monday, but today my legs are killing me!

Otherwise, reading a really, really, really engrossing novel titled, "We Need to Talk About Kevin", by Lionel Shriver. I've reached a point in the novel where I can't really put it down because I want to know what happens next, but don't really want to continue reading because I don't want to know what happens next... or at least I hope it isn't what I am anticipating. Ugh.

2. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Congrats on the weight loss Katie-Kate! Sounds like your on the right track!

3. kateykate

Thanks KreeKree!
    It's funny, I was thinking today that initially I would put it down to water loss, or like, some kind of trivial thing (balancing on the scales just right!) but when I compare the weight difference, it actually becomes tangible.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Wow! 6.5! How long did that take? Good work!

5. kateykate

6 weeks... which isn't very long when I think about it. But I had a deadline to meet, so it was easier to say no to alcohol, pies and the like. And then... I lost my taste for lots of stuff. Particularly drinking a lot.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on meeting your goals for the wedding deadline.

If I'm correctly understanding it sounds as if you're going to be continuing with the same general course of action. Is that correct?

7. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Party girl! :guitar::pillowfight:

I've found the alcohol is usually the easiest thing to kick. Good work!

8. kateykate

Yeah. I don't know if it was deliberate, but I've eased since last weekend. The trouble is the inevitable food obsession, and this very quickly (for me) becomes some pretty unhealthy territory. I'm still keeping a comprehensive food and exercise diary and weighing and measuring myself regularly, and I've not really varied from my previous eating regime much... but I don't have the same level of motivation, I guess.
    Incidentally, my brother made fun of me for that exact reason this evening: he had some tim tams (double coat!) at his house, and I inhaled a couple, and he made some joke that highlighted this. A week ago, I'd have steered well clear of the tim tams.
    Gah.

Still, all I can do is learn from these experiences and resolve that NEXT time will be different.

9. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

And by "next time" you mean "next meal", right? :nod:

10. kateykate

Bingo. Or next social event that revolves around food (as they all seem to do... gah!).

Went for this epic 2 hour walk today with the dogs. We hadn't intended for it to be too long, just up through a bit of scrub, along a path and back, but ended up following a bunch of random kangaroo tracks and climbing hill face in order to make it back! The dogs loved it though- Lil found some baby foxes which were pretty cute, and I felt like we were being followed by a couple of kookaburras- we kept hearing them laugh at us.

I just realised how late it is! Ack!

11. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Your walk sounds awesome! I can't imagine walking and see foxes and kangaroos. Your lucky!

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Kookaburra? Interesting...never heard of them. Nice walk!

13. kateykate

I don't know how to embed youtube videos, but there's one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZbykXlg6Q

Kookaburras are like the quintessential bird of the Aussie bush. There are times when it totally feels like they're laughing *at* you, it's hilarious... and yet so disturbing at the same time. ;)

Not much to report today. Went to my parents' house for dinner so decided to get there early and use my dad's rower and bike. I made my little brother (he's 12) do the same amount of time on whichever I wasn't using, which he dutifully did. Had a dip in the pool afterwards... not sure i f that counts for exercise, but it sure is fun! I've been trying to teach Ys how to do backflips, but it seems to come out more like a belly flop. I'm sure the fault is with my teaching, I can't remember being shown... and most of what I do tends to look completely unco anyway!

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

15. kateykate

uncoordinated. I was quite tired when I was posting that, but I had an inkling that it was an ockerism that maybe I'd have to explain afterwards.

Touch was ok yesterday, but diet has been horrible. Not horrible compared to what it has been previously, but horrible compared to what it has been in the last few weeks. I've been eating about 300-400 calories more - and it's inadvertantly, on dumb stuff like a piece of the mountain of fairy bread Grace and Ysobel made. I know this needs to change, and it will. Nick pointed out that if I don't continue to be cautious, I will plateau, and he knows I'm not at a point where I'm prepared to do that yet.
    It's frustrating though, listening to him get annoyed with me for eating something, because I feel like being a food nazi. I know rationally that he's trying to stop me from doing something he knows I'm going to regret later, but being told not to do something makes me even more determined to do it. :roll:

In other news, I've actually been working on finishing my research project. I finally worked up the courage to call the woman I'd been meaning to call to ask her permission to publish an entry on the Women's Archive Project website, and she was fantastic! I think I chatted to her for an hour or more, about the peace movement in the 80s, the peace camps she went to, what she's doing now, and other completely irrelevant stuff (and yet relevant) like Obama and suchlike.
    Then another friend of mine rang me and we had another lengthy conversation about Obama-- awesome stuff.

At any rate, I have to go work on my arse. My abs are astoundingly sore after the situps I was doing on Sunday: my parents have one of those situp benches that makes you lean back, so I did full situps from that position. Previously, I've used the incline bench to do like, a kind of v-twist thing (an oblique exercise) and some other exercise but I was deep in conversation with my brother so just did whatever. But by christ it hurts today.

Also, decided to do agility drill tomorrow instead of today, yesterday I did it the day after touch and was already sore when I started, and ended up REALLY sore for a lot longer than I think I should have done. So, I figure I give myself another day to rest etc in between, and then try and blast the jump squats extra hard tomorrow!

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

"ockerism"? :D

17. kateykate

:lol: As in, Aussie dialectal terms. Like cozzies, arsey, barbie, bung and carn. Which means, erm, cozzies = "swimmers" (or swimming costume, or whatever you call them- we called them togs in qld, and they call them bathers here in sa), arsey = "has balls" (as in, "that's a pretty arsey thing to do", barbie is obv barbeque, bung means broken, and carn is "come on".
    Also, dummy (as in a pacifier) dunny (a toilet) and port (your schoolbag).

AFAICR, strine refers to both the broad aussie accent, and I've heard it used as a term to describe the Australian dialect. But it's been 3 years since I've done Linguistics, and I'm kinda rusty.

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:read::read::read::sleep:

:lol:

Very interesting...not sure how you guys function with normal language, but hey...who am I to judge? ;)

19. kateykate

:lol: But it *is* normal language! It's just that we have colloquial terms peppered throughout, and typically only in informal language. Just as I'm sure you people do, right? :lol:

So, I was so enraptured by the opportunity to to use 'cozzies' and 'arsey' in the same sentence, that I forgot to talk about my workout yesterday.

I had an argument with one of my brothers (the one I often argue with) and so I went to the gym and took my frustration out on, well, myself. Did hill intervals on the bike for 35 minutes (keeping the rpm to 100 on the hills, though I could have had the resistance higher, I think it was only on 7) and then the agility workout I got from WH magazine. No shit, that workout is HARD. Several times throughout it I felt like I wanted to throwup, which is kinda cool in retrospect, but not so great at the time.

Today my back is really sore from these pushups using a medicine ball (pushup with one hand on the ball, roll the ball across, pushup with the other hand on the ball).

20. kateykate

I just thought I'd add, Grace and Ys made a fruit salad that is to die for. We had strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and grapes, they picked some peaches from our garden, and I chopped up some watermelon for their fruit salad. They brought it in for me to try (I'm working on my research project :( ) and then asked me to stop eating it-- it's too tasty!