1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Time Has Come!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by kateykate, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

:lol: You're right, I do talk a lot. But I'm quite efficient at maintaining whatever I'm doing while talking- actually takes my mind off the activity so I tend to do a little more!

I decided today I'm going to start blasting the arms hard. I mean, I might not actually start it *today* but I reckon it's gotta start happening. I like the look of nice, shapely arms and I think working on my triceps (particularly) will help that.

2. kateykate

WOW, did a Body Attack class today, because I'm trying to get my fitness up for touch footy (which starts again in a few weeks). I reckon I'm pushing myself more now, because my fitness is improving and I'm able to. I either read or heard someone say, a while back, that once you achieve a greater level of fitness, it's easier to push yourself harder (and burn my calories, I suppose). That's a big thing- and something I notice with the running as well. If my fitness is at that next level, where I'm not struggling or taking "options" (cop out moves, like marching instead of shuffling) then I'm improving, right?
    To the point where today, with one more high intensity track left to go, I found myelf thinking, "yeah, I can do one more" instead of clock watching and thinking, "What?! Another one!?!" -- and I made sure I pushed myself as well.
    Plus, I did pushups on my toes. :D

3. kateykate

Speaking of touch footy fitness...
    I organised to meet up with a friend of mine at a local park so we could have a throw of the ball, and a bit of a run. Maybe practice a couple of plays, nothing too intensive. We got out there, started passing the ball around and walking through a couple of plays and just got more...intense. I don't know what it was, precisely, I think it was a combination of the other guys (my friend, and Nick) being faster runners than me, as well as the fact that we're all probably feeling a bit panicky about not having the fitness for when games start, but we ended up going fairly hard, I think.
    It was great, touch football seems to work the lungs in ways I struggle to mimic in any other activity. A few other people have commented on the same thing- there's nothing quite like match fitness (even if my version of it is fairly lame in comparison to others).

So today I've eaten 1800 calories, and used 1300. I can't decide whether or not to have another little snack- I don't want to get in to the habit of eating this late, but that's a pretty supermassive deficit (and I suppose counterproductive to fatloss).

4. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the empathy!:D
    The sinus stuff is gone now?

The swelling up after being injected sounds unpleasant.:( Did the doctor at least ask you how you felt otherwise at that point? It could be a little bit of reaction to the anesthetic, but I would think the doctor would ask some other questions if he thought that were so.:confused:

What a hassle! Good luck with the appointment this week....

Yay, pushup progress!!:tu:

5. kateykate

Well, that's what I thought. I mean, all he did was say "your subcutaneous skin [?] retains a lot of fluid" and I think he commented that it was unusual. I thought maybe if he thought it was *that* weird, that he'd do something about it, but the whole procedure seemed like an inconvenience to him.
    A girl that goes to my gym went through a similar process though- I'm not sure if she had the same issue with swelling, but certainly the whole "now I can't find it, you'll have to get it taken out under ultrasound" was the same.

In other news, I can barely walk today, which is kinda awesome. I'm trying to decide between doing my own weights program, or Pump. Pump is very full body, but I've got some other things I wanted to add to my program (woodchop squat and/or a woodchop lunge), so I can't decide.

6. kateykate

Weights was good today, except I forgot my dumbbell row weight, and ended up doing the wrong one. I *knew* it felt too light, but I kept going. I checked my program after I'd completed 3 x 10, and I was 1.5kilos too light. So I did the 3 x 10 again, this time with the correct weight (9kg).

Added some other stuff as well:
    Tricep Pushdowns (3 x 10 at 25kg)
    Sissy squats with a 4kg medicine ball x 20
    Leg Press, 3 x 15 (60kg)
    And some lunges and squats with a lumberjack or woodchop twist (like an oblique rotation, moving the ball from above head to side) the lunges felt weird, so I only did a few of those- I think 10 in total. I did a few more of the squats. I have to practice the technique, I think, without the ball.

Cable crunches seemed easier than usual: I am only using 15kg weight, so I can increase this with no issues, but was already fatigued from doing the lower ab exercises and didn't want to risk my back lifting (frequently happens when fatigued).

Seem to be doing more legs. More supersets of stuff. It's good, I enjoy legs... they're just pretty sore today.

I want to see a running coach. I'm considering asking if any of the trainers at my gym have this kind of experience, but I don't want to be pushed in to a session with a trainer that thinks they can help, I want to see an actual running coach. SA Road Runners do "Learn to Run" lessons, but I think they coincide with the school terms, so there'd be a decent wait before I could do a class, I think (and I'm impatient, right...?).

I *think* I finished my assignment on middle-class masculinity. 3 to go...

7. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

What is that? Now I feel a bit defensive! :lol: ;)

8. kateykate

:lol: It's just on middle-class masculinity in the 19th century, when it was evolving and changing to encompass these images of Australians as bronzed beach goers, blah blah blah.
    Initially, the idea that people would strip down and go swimming at the beach was abhorrent, and there was a moral panic about a social class of men who were 'larrikins' who had no respect for middle classes and didn't take up their values and ideals. One of the things the larrikins were characterised as doing was being completely indecent and stripping down to go swimming at the beach. Over time, these people that were freaking out about the larrikins realised that it was actually middle-class men that were getting nekkid at the beach (and not just working class men) via police raids and such like, and also the image of the bronzed Aussie male was being eulogised by certain popular writers (like Henry Lawson and Banjo Patterson) so the idea kind of evolved to become the dominant masculine identity and encompassed previous middle-class male values, such as self-sacrifice (eg, lifesavers) and stuff.
    It's interesting in as much that this is the foundation of a fairly key national identity within Australian society. It's boring in the sense that I'm over it, and I'm freaking out about other assignments I have to write (on water quality, anthropological studies on postnatal depression, and homosexuality pre1980s). :spaz:

9. kateykate

I want to whinge and complain that I'm seriously lacking motivation today, but I'm not... well, not really. I mean, I enjoy the exercise that I do, and this is motivation alone, but today is check-in day and I'm not happy with results. I had an off week last week, and I don't have an issue with the lack of results in the last 2 weeks, but more so the lack of visible results overall. At what point can I throw my arms in the air and say "I GIVE UP!!" ???
    I know that I don't do EVERYTHING I possibly can, I know that I'm not rigid with eating, etc, but for the amount of work I do do, I would expect to see more. I have done less, in the past, with greater visibile success than this!

So... this week I'm experimenting with greater NET calories overall. I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but because limiting my calories to 1200, then 1500 a day seems to have done SFA. Meh.

10. kateykate

Right, so I'm over my spazzie from this morning.

I read this on the calorieking forum this morning, it's from "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle"

Which is interesting. :confused:

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Glad you're over your spaz. It's terribly frustrating to see someone have to take a bigger caloric deficit than should be necessary for fat loss.:( I always wonder if there's a metabolic disorder that should be looked at first. Jedi's been pretty vigilant about considering those factors and what could help to get it going in the right direction (different macronutrient split, zig-zagging calories, better meal timing, adding LBM, etc.)
    Well, that's interesting. It's written by someone who likes to eat. :eat:

I don't know if you caught it or not, but there was a link here on these forums that quoted a study which found that exercise did not help people to lose weight. That's how they worded it anyway. The real results were that a caloric deficit from exercise was equivalent to the same caloric deficit from foods. So pick what you like best, and decide your deficits from there (keeping in mind your micronutrient needs and cardiovascular health)

But that would be an average of all study participants. I expect that there are large variations between people in the most effective way to lose fat.

12. kateykate

That's the thing. I've been tempted, a number of times, to go to my GP and say, "look, what the hell is wrong with me" - but my issue with doing this is that it seems like a cop out, and also because I can't unequivocably say that I've done EVERYTHING, because I haven't. I'm more vigilant than some people, but less so than others.

As for the Tom Venuto quote, I think I agree. A caloric deficit is a caloric deficit is a caloric deficit, isn't it? I really enjoy exercise, so it suits me to create a caloric deficit here. But... meh to the lack of results. I'm not sure what's going on there, if the deficit is too large or too small or what.

I made an appointment with one of the personal trainers at my gym, I want to work on my running technique. I'm not sure if these guys are the best people to see regarding this, but I figure they're all trained to do it, so with any luck they'll be able to help. The guy I'm seeing and I have a mutual friend, and I've had a session with him before. He's pretty nice.

13. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Hi KK :wave: I did eventually go to the doctors for extra blood tests a couple of months ago. Apart from a pretty high fasting glucose result suggesting i wd be better on low carb, wich I knew, and my normal crazily high LDL results, it showed nothing. However I only went to the doctor after I had tried pretty much everything else. I love Venuto by the way, it was his BFFM that got me into all this 2.5 years ago. I agree with what Guava says, I hate to repeat it but nutrition is key..... I don't know what your nutrition is like but it may be that you really have to be ultra strict with this and play with your macro ratios for your metabolism to lose fat....ie you can be doing daily cardio (as I am doing now) but if diet isn't dialed in, little fat loss. Especially as some research suggests, that women especially don't seem to respond as well as men to a calorie deficit created by exercise (I think if I remember rightly this research was done on runners).

I do hope your running technique session goes well ;)

14. kateykate

Thanks Jedi :) your scenario is *exactly* why I don't see the virtue in going to the doctor...not yet.

My nutrition is (IMO) pretty good, I stick to the CSIRO diet... basically because I'm participating in a study for them. So I can't change this too much.

They recommend,
    Breakfast: 40g high fibre cereal, 250ml skim milk, 150g fruit.

I eat:
    Breakfast: 35g of bran cereal, 80ml milk, 10g golden syrup and a banana. BUT- before this I also have 400ml milk, 2 cups of coffee and 4 tsps of sugar. The nutritionist said this was fine- good, even. I always thought they'd have a problem with it but they don't.

Lunch:
    They recommend:
    2 slices wholegrain bread
    1/2 cup salad
    50-100g lean protein

I eat:
    Pretty much that, except I eat 50g protein, 100g is too much.

Dinner:
    They recommend:
    200g lean protein (raw weight)
    3 tsp vegetable oil
    2 cups vegetables
    150g fruit
    200g dairy dessert

I eat:
    2 cups vegetables
    150g (ish) lean-protein
    not sure of the oil, but it wouldn't be more than 3 tsp)

Snack:
    They recommend:
    200g dairy dessert
    tea/coffee with skim milk

Now, here's where I differ. I've already had more than enough dairy for the day, so I eat fruit, maybe nibble on a little chicken or ham and a rice cake. My calories are usually around 1550, give or take. Their diet I think works out to 1600. It might be that this is too much, the more I think about it. I've previously restricted to 1300-1400 calories, which is appropriate for my height (but currently, I get too hungry)
    Apart from that, I'm fairly meticulous about fibre, and adequate fruit and vegetable intake. I realised a couple of days ago that my sodium was too high-- I drink mineral water, and was possibly adding an additional 150mg of sodium a day to my diet!

Exercise:
    They recommend:
    45-60 minute walk 4-5 times a week
    2-3 sets of their resistance program, 2-3 times a week.

I do:
    30-45+ minutes of walking 5 times a week
    and 60 minutes of cardio/weights alternating 6 times a week.
    While typing all this I'm thinking... I'm not actually that strict. I went over my food diary and I could be more rigid. I suppose.. I just don't really want to be, I guess.

I had a look for some studies relating to what everyone's been saying, about caloric deficit from restriction vs exercise. And, yeah, the diet probably could do with a little tweaking.

15. kateykate

oh yeah... today, so, good day.

Gym:
    Feeling strength gains already. I'm pretty pleased with myself. :)

I've been messing around with the legs part of my routine, today I tried a couple of different things:
    20 x lunges with 4kg medicine ball, with a "lumberjack" (I move the ball from above my head to beside my front leg) - I'm not sure if I like this exercise yet. It makes the lunges harder, because the arm movement means I have to focus on stabilising and moving, which is good, but it still feels a little awkward.
    20 x sissy squats (no weight)
    20 x squats with 10kg weight (2 dumbbells). I ended up doing these as sumo squats, the outside of my knee (a ligament) wasn't feeling fabulous when doing regular squats, but was fine with toes and knees pointed out. Felt good on the inner thighs.

Also saw the trainer at the gym, and explained to him what I wanted to do and stuff. I was really pleased about that- I knew that I could explain it fine and he'd deal with it fine on the day- he's a great trainer- but given a little extra notice might afford greater opportunity to come up with some hairbrained plan to get katey to run faster.

Met my friend at the park after soccer training tonight for some touch football training. It was hard! I can feel the practice is going to do me good though. :)

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It looks like a really healthy diet. And you're at a healthy weight, right? But it looks nothing like a diet that a figure competitor would use. It's not a diet that's optimized to get the greatest lean body mass and least fat mass. I think they're two different goals, and might require two different strategies, or a compromise somewhere in the middle. It's possible you could get better fat loss and satiety results if you bumped your protein up, at least to their suggested minimum.

17. kateykate

No! That's the problem. I'm not at a healthy weight! :(

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:( That's a bummer then.

How long are you on the study?

Are they measuring your body weight? I can see why you wouldn't want to differentiate yourself from other people who are on the same plan.

I would guess that 1600 calories would be about enough to maintain (1600/15=) ~107 pounds, with a normal metabolism. If you've been eating this way for a while, and you're more than 10% off of this amount, then it would seem that you're either miscounting calories, or you have a sluggish metabolism. I know that chameleon has to eat extremely low calories to lose fat, and maybe you're the same way.

19. kateykate

Just till end of July. I thought it was early July, but no such luck. :blank: I might play around with it and see what happens... as much as I can, at any rate. See, I was thinking that extra exercise would be enough to give a sluggish metabolism a shove in the right direction, but at the moment, no such luck.
    On the plus side, all this extra work has had a positive effect on atleast the physical appearance of my body composition, or atleast, so says Nick. So that's something. :)

My implanon was taken out today, and, funnily enough- absolutely no reaction. No fluid retention, no puffiness, nothing. My body reacted to the locals (I had 2, one at the hospital and one at the doctor's surgery) really normally, with no oddities. Weird! The doctor was even more confused by this.
    Neither the doctor at the hospital or the GP thought it was an allergic reaction, but no one could offer any suggestions as to why it happened. Oh well.

20. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Glad they finally got it out for you! Whens the next one go in?