1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Time Has Come (a fitness journal)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by reve, Jan 20, 2009.

1. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Time to finally start my fitness journal. Been reading and learning for three years now, and today being my birthday, now's a better time then ever.

I've been working out for the past month, slowly gearing up to actually start pushing myself. Got my workouts hemmed out and what I plan on doing until April 10th when I graduate ELT school and have to move from Charleston SC to wherever the Navy is going to send me.

Little background on myself, joined the navy in June 2007, at 202 pounds. Left bootcamp at 183 pounds, and in the best shape Ive ever been in. Needless to say, 17 months of nothing but classroom work with the last 6 months averaging 79.1 hours of work a week (not including drive time which was around 1.5 hours per day) for 24 weeks straight left me fat and out of shape. At the worst I was up to 220 lbs, now in the last two months or so I've managed to get it down to 210lbs. I also quit smoking (~3 years) about a month ago, with the only tobacco consumed being a few hits from a flavored hookah during my birthday celebration last Friday.

Anyways, that leaves me around 11 weeks until I get moved to a new command. Ive been over my max navy weight for the past I don't know, 10 months now. I can barely, barely pass our PT Test, which good news, I just realized, Just got easier at the age of 25.

So anyways, this leads me to the current goals of this journal. By the time I leave Charleston to move on to bigger and better things, I want to be less than 196 pounds, so I no longer have to get measured for my weight, and I want to be able to score a good medium on my next PT test which will occur either just before I leave, or after I get to my next command (one in spring, one in fall type rotation).

Short Term Goals
    Weight - 196 lbs
    Pushups - 51 in two minutes
    Situps - 62 in two minutes
    1.5 Mile Run - 12:15

Longer Term Goals
    Weight - 185
    BF - 10%
    Bench - 1.5 x BW
    Squat - 1.5 x BW

So on to my methods of achieving my goals. 5 days a week, 3 days of lifting, 2 days of cardio, with an additional day of cardio added in once I get 5 days a week down.

Cardio will range from HIIT on the treadmill or Elliptical, Practice PT Tests on the treadmill/Elliptical/Outside. Or longer distance runs for increasing my overall endurance.

Running has always been a weak point of mine, even playing soccer for a few years in highschool. I finally quit smoking, so I'm really excited to see if I can build up some endurance.

For the lifting I'm going to be following the Starting Strength program, though slightly modified, but nothing too drastic.

Workout Alpha
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x5 Chinups (assisted)

Workout Bravo
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    3x5 Bent Over Rows
    3x5 Dips (assisted)

Schedule
    Monday - Cardio
    Tuesday - Off (optional cardio day)
    Wednesday - Workout Alpha
    Thursday - Cardio
    Friday - Workout Bravo
    Saterday - Off
    Sunday -Workout Alpha

and so on and so forth as the weeks go on.

Nutrition
    BMR = 2106 Calories per day x 1.55 = 3265 Calories.

2000 Calories per day, leaving me 1265 calories per day in the hole.
    Friday night is my cheat night when it comes to food and alcohol, all other days will be clean. I'm assuming, worst case, that I will consume 4000 calories on Friday.

This cheat day is not something I'm willing to give up at this current juncture. I know my progress would be faster if I eliminated the empty calories, but going out and drinking with my friends and eating a roll or two of sushi never killed anyone. (well, bad sushi might have... poor example.)

This leaves me with 1200 calories (rounded down) x 6 days - 800 calories (cheat over maintenance) = 6400 / 3500 cals/pound = -1.75 pounds per weak. -1.75 x 11 weeks = -19.25 Pounds.
    210-19.25 = 190.75.

I will post my food logs everyday along with my workout logs if anyone would like to critique. If anyone sees any problems with my current setup, please let me know. My calories seem a little low, but I have no issue living off of 2000 calories a day, haven't in the past two weeks with my workouts.

Anyways, I know I how much I've read and learned from coming to this site for the past three years. I think I've looked at every recipe posted at least twice. :lol: I just figured it was finally time to give a little something back and hold myself accountable for once.

Thanks for reading, I'm going to enjoy my birthday treat of cottage cheese, natural PB and splenda. (I had my treats last Friday :) )

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Go for it man!

80 hours a week? Machine...

3. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

:lol: Nice journal title!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol: Yeah, I figured you would like it.

5. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Oh no...

It seemed like such a good title too, wish I would have known.. :o

6. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Pretty good workout today, first time deadlifting, felt weird on my lower back, so I need to read up on form in my book. The squats have left my right knee feeling awfully funny. It doesn't hurt per say, the front of it just feels, well, tight and well, funny. No pain though, any advice on that? Hopefully it will feel fine tomorrow morning. On another positive note, saw less then 210 on the scale for the first time in as long as I can remember. Hopefully my knee won't be bothersome so I can get my squat above my bench on friday. :tu:

Workout
    5 minute warm up on elliptical
    Bench - 3x5 @ 135 lbs
    Squat - 3x5 @ 135 lbs
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 95lbs
    Chinups - 3x5 @ -80lbs assistance

Food
    whole wheat English muffin - 140
    dannon light and fit yogurt - 60
    breakfast blend granola - 220
    2 cups brown rice - 300
    16 oz chicken (raw weight) - 500
    salad - 25
    sun dried tomato vinaigrette (3tbs) - 90
    1 scoop whey protein - 120
    1 cup milk - 110
    6.9 oz tuna steak - 250
    1.75 cups broccoli / cauliflower - 60
    shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese (2 TBS) - 50
    1/2 tbs EVOO - 60
    3 fish oil pills - 30
    Total Calories - 2015

Pretty good day, breakfast was weak though, tomorrow will be eggs and red potatoes, much more satisfying. And cardio, much less satisfying. Time for :sleep:

7. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

:lol: If it's any consolation, mine came from the walrus in Alice in Wonderland, you know, "the time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things, of shoes and ships and ceiling wax; of cabbages and kings".

8. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Had a terrible day, tired, had to deal with other nukes all day for like 10 hours straight with a 15 minute lunch break. Traffic was brutal on the way home. Tomorrow is lifting/sushi/beer, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I had an amazing cardio session, really left it all out there on the elliptical. Started off with 18 minutes of medium intensity, HR of around 140, then for the last twelve, I pushed as hard as I possibly could. Had my heart rate over 180 for most of the time (if the machine is accurate). Probably one of the best cardio sessions I've ever had. People need to piss me off all day more often. Ended up burning 505 calories in 32.5 minutes.

Nutrition for the day was also spot on.

Food
    1 Cup Egg Beaters - 120
    300 grams red potatoes - 200
    1TBS EVOO - 110
    Reduced Fat Feta Cheese - 50
    Sun dried Tomato dressing (3TBS) - 90
    Romaine Lettace - 30
    1 Banana - 120
    2 Clemintine Oranges - 70
    2 cups brown rice - 300
    Lean Turkey Breast - 420
    8 oz 97/3 ground beef - 250
    Half a plate of broccoli - 100
    1 TBS Butter (cooked beef in) - 110
    3 fish oil pills - 30

Total Calories = 2000 +- 50

I use a food scale for everything I eat, so i know its correct, I don't always list portions on here because when I initially write down what I'm preparing, I just write like Turkey - 420. Oh wells. Im not big into doing the whole macro thing. I just try to eat a lot of protein and don't go overboard on the fats, while making sure I have adequate carbs for breakfast, lunch, and snack. Contemplating upping my calories to 2100 or 2200 per day, because Ive been super drained everyday after work, but this week has been really mentally stressful. I'll see how next week goes on 2000.

Anyways, have a good Friday everyone! :sleep:

9. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Well, my cheat went way way overboard including an all star breakfast from waffle house at 4:30am (oops). Will have to take it easier on future Fridays, as I was hungover all Saturday which sucks. Saturday and Today have both been fine nutrition wise, I didn't keep accurate logs but both ended up around 2000 calories of clean food. My Friday workout was mediocre at best, but my Sunday workout was absolutely brutal. I've not yet to date felt this drained from a workout, even hard cardio. I feel like I could just go to sleep if I wanted to and I slept in today.

Friday's Workout
    Squat - 3x5 @ 145lbs
    Press - 3x5 @ 95lbs
    Bent-Over Row - 3x5 @ 80lbs
    Dips - 3x5 @ -50lbs

Sunday's Workout
    Bench - 2x5 @ 140, 1x5 @ 135lbs
    Squat - 3x5 @ 155lbs
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 115lbs, 1x5 @ 135lbs
    Pullups - 3x5 @ -80lbs

I'm thinking about trying out a spinning class for cardio tomorrow if I can make it to the gym by 6:30pm, should be interesting.

10. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Another really good cardio workout, 18 minutes at moderate pace around level 6, then the final 12 as hard as I could go at level 9 on the elliptical. Followed by a 5 minute cool down. Calories burnt - 560

I really enjoy this type of workout, I think its doing wonders for my overall cardiovascular endurance.

Tommarrow is my day off to let my legs heal up, feeling kinda beat up from the heviest squats ive done followed by a pounding elliptical workout.

Nutrition today was spot on, except I had a glass of white wine with dinner, so ended up going around 100 calories over. Total calories for the day, 2100. I don't feel like posting all the stuff i ate, all clean though. I only got 2.5 hours of sleep last night because I go to bed too late on Saturdays and it messes up my sleep schedule until tonight when I have to reset.

Have a good one everybody.

11. reve

reve Well-Known Member

Took some time off and cheated a lot, probably really hurt the chances of making my goals, but we'll see.

Good workout today

Squat - 3x5 @ 175
    Bench - 3x5 @ 145
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 165
    Pullups - 3x5 @ -80