1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The sum of my parts...before/after/current

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by specialk, Mar 31, 2006.

1. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

I have been lurking on JSF for close to a year and felt it was time to post my progress. First of all I believe this site has been one the greatest motivators for me. I visit it more often than the bathroom, (water relief). I am inspired when I see others post their before and after photos and stories. I have learned so much from what others have been through and overcome. I can relate to the mental dedication and overall commitment that each and everyone of you possess.

I started my new lifestyle February 2005. I can remember the exact reason for my willingness to change. You see, I’ve been to my doctor more times in the past five years than I have been in my whole life. I would get chronic chest pains twice a year which would last about 3-5 days. The only relief would be heavy doses of advil to stop the inflammation around my lung lining. At my request, my doctor released my medical records. I had been diagnosed with relapsing pleuritic chest pains. I read through the records and noticed my weight chart. He had been recording my weight for the past 8 years. If my chart was a stock, than I’ve been very Bullish. At the time I was pushing 206 lbs and a side note written next to the number was “moderately obese”. What? It can’t be, I used to run marathons, windsurf, mountain bike, and I still thought I was pretty active. This is crap I thought.

I stewed with this sentence burning in my thoughts for days. I made a commitment to become healthier soon after. After reading Bill Phillip’s book “Body for Life”, my thought was that if others could get those fabulous bodies in twelve weeks than so could I. I must of started the BFL challenge a dozen Mondays only to fail (in my eyes) by Friday. On the BFL I had modest results just by eating more frequently and cutting down on sugar. I wanted to become fit/quick. By the way “quick” is a term that I used to easily then. I now understand why it has to become a permanent lifestyle.

There is a whole lot more of me that needs to evolve... lets just say when John speaks about his previous addictions I can honestly admit that I have had first hand knowledge. (not proud about it, just honest)

I realize that I will always make poor judgements about what I eat, or how I exercise, but at the end of the day I am happier that I “did it” and not that I “wish I did it”.

Well there it is. I decided to post today so that I could keep some accountability of my ongoing efforts.

PS: I have not had an episode in over a year. It pays to be healthy.

2/27/05 | 214 lbs. BF= 20%
    7/14/05 | 190 lbs. BF= 16%
    3/31/06 | 185 lbs. BF= 14.5%

Attached Files:

#1 specialk, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Great work, K! Looking excellent. :tu:

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    K you look freaking great! Fantastic progress! I'm very happy to hear that it's improved your health so much as well. Fountain of youth, man. Thanks a lot for posting. :claplow:

M@

4. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Great Job my man!!!

keep up the good work. You look great!

5. vidasuena

vidasuena Well-Known Member

Great work, man!

6. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

Wow K, you are looking awesome!!:claphigh:
    Keep up the good workk, your progress is looking great!
    :)

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Very impressive, SK. Looks like you've got this fitness thing really working for you. Aint it grand to lose the gut?:tucool:

8. specialk

Yup, I found the fountain of youth and I'm heathier because of it. I was 42 at the time and man was I looking "long of tooth". I really find my life so worthwhile now. Better outlook on things.

I was happy to see my waist and my negative attitude shrink before my eyes.

Thanks for the props!

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So the Special K diet really works, huh?

You look fantastic! Great work.

10. specialk

Is there really such a thing? If so I'll have to try it.

Thanks for your comments. Positive feedback is always welcome.

11. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Well-Known Member

awesome job! way to stick to it! it's the little things that you notice once your healthy...walking up stairs, afternoon energy, sleeping, etc.

Cheers!
    MIKE

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh yes. But it's a little too high on the glycemic index for me. It's something like what I would do while on vacation, but it's a crash diet, not a great lifestyle program.

My mom actually was doing something similar for a long time. She was quite happy with it for the most part. Makes meal planning pretty simple, but I'm a little worried about the lack of variety and missing nutrients.

13. specialk

Health is one of my goals, as for the sleeping, I'm trying my hardest. I seem to wake up a couple of times a night to use the bathroom. No problem falling back to sleep though. Speaking of little things, I have two girls under five and I want to set a good exemple for them by eating healthy and staying active. Now if I could only get them to start eating what I eat.:eat: Now that would be a hoot.

14. specialk

I have been involved in one of the forums fitness challenges recently and I have to say that it's been very rewarding.

I am highly motivated and when the thought of doing something negative enters my mind I remind myself that I'm part of a challenge and I need to be accountable for my actions.

I hope others might take up some of these challenges to help with their fitness goals.

Attached Files:

15. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

Tremendous accomplishment, K.

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Damn...and I'm gonna start reminding myself that SpecialK is kickin' my ass. GREAT progress man! I hope my shots tomorrow show that kind of improvement. :tucool: :claplow:

Totally dig the cut in your obliques. I want that. Hell yeah.

M@

17. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wow, you're doing great!:claplow:

18. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Whoa. How'd I miss this thread all this time?

Outstanding and inspiring. :claplow: Thanks for sharing...

-R

19. Devery

Devery Well-Known Member

No matter where I look, I see improvement! Thumbs up to you :tucool:

20. specialk

Thanks, still haven't tried the Special K diet yet. Ever since you mentioned it I hear, see it all the time.

You didn't think I was going to sit back and enjoy the summer without doing some hard work first.:D I want to be able to take my shirt of without being self conscience.

I haven't even scratched the surface of this site yet. So much good information and inspirational stories as well.

Thanks, Devery... by the look of your avatar, you are seriously getting cut.