1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Squat Day Thread

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Big_D, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Olympic Squats: warmups, 1x20@275, 1x5@315

2. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Holy shit!

I'm missing out because I'm poor

3. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

This was following a miss of 530 pounds on deadlift. I had the bar off the ground, but couldn't move it past my knees. Must be a hamstring weakness.

4. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Probably upper back and glute weakness.

5. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Whats the difference from a back squat and an olympic squat -- sorry, would check youtube but at work

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

An olympic squat is a back squat with high bar position and full depth.

7. tensdanny

Hmm. Not really seeing a huge difference from this and how I squat. I get about as low as one with a big gut can get.

8. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Today's squats

9. jdb-44

jdb-44 Active Member

*^%*&^% squats!

I've been on the Starting Strength program for a couple of weeks, following the "Practical Programming Novice Program".

As I understand it, one should be able to add 5 pounds to the squat working sets each time (doing squats M-W-F), at least early on in the program.

So I've been eating at a surplus, not perfect but pretty consistent, getting OK sleep, watching my form carefully, and not missing any workouts.

Today, I went for my 5th and final rep in my 3rd working set at an amazingly heavy weight of...160 pounds...and I failed halfway up. I had to drop the weight on the floor. Fortunately, I was using bumper plates, and there was nobody else in the room to witness this "FAIL".

I was not hurt, just a little scrape on the arms and back. More my ego than anything. It was the first time I ever swore out loud at the Y, anyway.

And now, I get to reset my squat weight, 2 weeks into the program. LAME! And I thought I had fairly strong legs...

Maybe I should've waited a couple more minutes between squat sets. I think I'll try 4 minutes next time--I believe I read that somewhere.

Pardon the rambling message, but I am pissed about this. At least I didn't puss out and blow off the rest of the workout. And I'll be back on Wednesday.

Great way to start a week.:curses:

10. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

You don't have to reset. Just try and get all the reps on Wednesday. This is one of the problems I find with Starting Strength. It gives people the impression that if you can't add 5lbs on the bar three times a week you aren't doing it correctly. Where this probably isn't the case.

I'd say if you fail to increase reps in 3 consectutive workouts then think about lowering the weight about 10%. Otherwise just keep on going. And make sure the reps are good reps. The fact that you had to drop the bar tells me that the 4th rep probably wasn't great and you should have probably called it a day there.

Either way, don't sweat it. We all miss reps. Just try again during your next session.

11. jdb-44

jdb-44 Active Member

Thanks, woodan.

If I don't need to reset, I assume that means I should at least keep the *same* weights when I return to the gym on Wednesday? And adjust my spreadsheet for the subsequent workouts, since I stalled?

Jared

12. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Just keep the same weight. Once you get all the reps with good form increase the weight. If you don't improve reps 3 workouts in a row, then try reducing the weight 10% and trying again.

13. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

jdb-44:

AFAIK, Starting Strength specifically outlines that you should only reset if you fail to improve three consecutive training sessions in a row.

Also, the goal, not the requirement, is to get five reps in every set. So, as long as you improving toward that goal, you shouldn't reset. For example, study this annotated training log:

(Source is one of those internet FAQs about the program.)

Also, if you truly are stalling two weeks into the program, that's just a sign that you didn't perform an initial reset before starting the program. In other words, you started with a weight too close to your current rep maximum.

---

Why do you have entries in your spreadsheet for subsequent workouts? Your next workout should always be based on your performance in the last one. It doesn't make sense to lay out progression into the future by some arbitrary interval on this type of program.

#73 chicanerous, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  14. jdb-44

jdb-44 Active Member

Humph. Maybe I should actually *read* the book I shelled out $30 for. :doh:Not that I actually haven't read it, I just haven't digested it all.

Re: the spreadsheet...you're right; it doesn't make sense. I was (stupidly) blindly following the Starting Strength Logbook Calculator from the Starting Strength wiki. I just plugged in some guesses for my starting amounts (I had no idea what my max amounts were) and figured I'd go from there.

Sheesh. If I'm going to do this right, I need to pay more attention to the info I have access to!

Anyway, thanks again, woodan and chicanerous! I'll be squatting a massive 165 :-)o) in no time at all...

15. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

...and the stance is about shoulder-width with feet pointing straight ahead.

16. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Well, for some olympic lifters that is. I can't hit depth without a wider stance and very wide toe position

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The feet don't have to point straight ahead (and probably never should).

These are all look out to me:

Some are not a lot out, but none are straight ahead. You don't get the real great turnout with a close stance, but you don't have none of it either.

#77 chicanerous, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  18. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

The feet pointing outward is very minimal, that's pretty much what I meant.

19. tensdanny

warmup 2x5 45
    warmup 1x5 80
    warmup 1x3 120
    warmup 1x2 160
    working sets 3x5 205

20. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

(kg)
    Back Squats
    10 x 0