1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Squat Day Thread

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Big_D, Mar 10, 2009.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Today's squats:

2. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

3/20/09 - Morning Workout

SQUAT
    270 x 20
    290 x 12
    240 x 15
    All squats ATG

LEG CURL (toes pointing at wall)
    150 x 12
    135 x 14

3. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

warmup 2x5 45
    warmup 1x5 70
    warmup 1x3 105
    warmup 1x2 140
    working sets 3x5 175

4. tensdanny

Today at the gym I saw a guy with 360 lbs on the barbell. He would then squat down an inch or two, then go back up :lol:

I'm not sure what the point of doing this is.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I see this just about every time I go to the gym. :lol:

6. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

Did some squats yesterday

FSQ 225lbs 5x5

7. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

3 squat workouts this week

a) 5 x 5 @ 80kg

b) 5 x 5 @ 70kg

c) 5 x 66kg, 5 x 72kg, 5 x 76kg, 5 x 82kg, 5 x 88kg.

8. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I too have witnessed this many times!:lol::lol:

Unless you're squatting to at least parallel, the movement is pointless. Those guys would be better off sticking to the leg press!:nod:

9. tensdanny

I'm not going to go that far because parallel is difficult for some people, but yes, I agree this guy isn't seeing too many benefits.

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's not true. There are good reasons to limit range of motion in the squat, both at the top and at the bottom. The muscles don't benefit any more from training full range of motion than they do from training to within about 15 degrees of flexion/extension of full range of motion. And in the squat, the load increases rapidly on the PCL (a ligament) and stops increasing much on the muscles as the knee gets past 100 degrees, (which is above parallel). So the "optimal" bottom is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of parallel, and not always below parallel for everyone.

A lot of movements involve the ligaments taking up the slack as the muscle lengthens, which, unless you are particularly interested in putting as much stress as possible on your ligaments, argues for using an exercise range of motion that keeps the load on the muscles; which means staying short of full length of the muscle. So it's not just the squat. This is a pretty general consideration when thinking about exercise.

It's kind of bizarre that you get people trying to be really critical of squats that aren't deep enough, when those same people know better than to hold out for full depth RDLs, GMs, and know why, etc.

Hip drive for power is actually a short range motion - lots of people make this point (just off the top of my head, Dan Johns has it in at least one of his videos). Both tennis and baseball understand the value and power possible in a "compact" stroke. Boxers have long known how to channel very short range of hip and back motion into devastating punches.

It's worth thinking about if squats really ought to be the odd exercise out of all the other ones.

Isometric exercise doesn't strike me as the answer (although it's probably more worthwhile than I give it credit). But there is a point of diminishing returns for range of motion in every exercise. The last bit of range of motion is probably almost always counterproductive.

11. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I understand where you're coming from, but I look at the squat a little bit different. The reason why I don't think shallow squats are very productive is because they really only work your knees and quads. Your hamstrings and glutes hardly even come into play when performing a shallow squat. I've always felt that the squat movement in its correct form was intended to work all four of those muscle groups.

12. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My experience is that I can get glutes fully activated in a heavy enough squat almost no matter what depth. Hamstrings? Even ATG doesn't do much for my hamstrings in a squat. Not even Bulgarians. I can get just about every muscle in the legs working really hard in a squat, but not hamstrings.

This is true of a lot of people, which is why a lot of people pair RDLs with squats. And for a lot of people, RDLs fully work the hamstrings. For me, it's not so much. If I do single stiff leg deadlifts, I get a bit more hamstring.

But frankly, if I want to hit my hamstrings, it's time for the Krispy Kreme. Since my weight has gone up from about 200# to 225#, those have become, uh, indescribably and mercilessly severe.

13. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Legs/Calves

A)Squat
    135x12
    185x10
    235x8
    260x6
    290x4 I did 5 here but there was too much back into it. I'll shoot for a good 5 next week.

B)Leg Press
    6plates 4x10

C)Leg Extension
    120lbs 3x12

D1)Leg Curl
    170lbs 3x10

D2)DB Lunges
    45lbs 3x10

E1)Seated Calf Raises
    115 5x10

E2)Standing Calf Raises
    BW 5x50

14. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I guess we all have slightly different results from the same movement. The only way I start feeling squats in my glutes is to go below parallel. Now don't get me wrong about the hamstring thing, I'm not saying I get a huge hamstring burn or anything from doing ATG squats - but I can definitely feel them in my hams.

I've heard so many different theories about squats over the years. Some of them make a lot of sense while others I don't neccessarily agree with. I've heard many times the tales about how full squats will damage the ligaments in your knees. I'm living proof that this is not the case. In 1998 I tore my ACL in an auto accident. I received some very poor advice from my doctor and decided not to have surgery. My knee was never right after that, and I didn't do any squats at all until 2007. Prior to that I was doing strictly leg press stuff. I started very light and worked my way back up to some decent weight again with the squats, and suddenly my knee started feeling pretty decent again. Now, after about 1.5 years my knee feels as good as new, and believe it or not the clicking noises have even stopped. I can't even tell that I had an injury. The only thing I can really attribute this to is semi-heavy full depth squats.

That's just my two cents worth, and I do realize that everybody has different results from doing different movements. I probably shouldn't have said that partial squats were pointless, and I apologize if I offended you.

15. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I squatted 130kg for 1 yesterday. I may have even be able to get 2 reps. I consider this pretty good as I'm cutting and have lost 5lbs in the last few weeks. Strength is still good though.

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK here's today's squats:

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This was rather intense. My fourth rep on every set had a hell of a sticking point. The ellipsis means I had to rack the bar, wait a few seconds, and then unrack to squeeze out the other rep to complete the planned volume. This isn't a good sign, but, hopefully, if I eat a lot today and tomorrow, my strength will get a boost for Wednesday.

BSQ: 3x135, 3x205, 3x250, 4x290, 3x4x325, 4x325 ... 1x325

18. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Not much to do but squat these days:

19. tensdanny

felt tired, didn't eat nearly enough today due to extreme circumstances. Still hit desired weights in all lifts (5 pound increase).

Sets x Reps Session #2
    Squat warmup 2x5 45
    warmup 1x5 70
    warmup 1x3 105
    warmup 1x2 140
    working sets 3x5 180

20. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

did some squats today

BSQ: parallel
    315# 6x4

SLDL: