1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Slight Edge

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by BJ, Jul 18, 2009.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

So I've been reading this book The Slight Edge, by Jeff Olson. Here is an excerpt where he talks about health... I think it is a worthy read for anyone starting a fitness journey...

What You Do Matters

I am as passionate about personal health and fitness as I am about financial health. I believe your health is your most prized possession. It amazes me how many people pay no attention to their health.

Do you know anyone who would eat a quart of Crisco or a pound of butter a day? Hey, my cholesterol’s down to 239, I need to get it up over 400. There are still a few arteries flowing and I need to get ‘em all clogged, right now, today! Does anyone believe that’s the way to good health? Of course not. Then why do we act like we do?

You know what you’re supposed to eat. We all do. Fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbs, salads, whole foods, lean meats, more fish and poultry than beef … You know it, I know it, we all know it. So why do so many of us still go out and chow down cheeseburgers and fries every day?

I’ll tell you why: because it won’t kill us. Not today.

If you ate a cheeseburger and immediately suffered a near-fatal heart attack, would you ever go near a cheeseburger again? I doubt it. It may take twenty or thirty years, but when you add up the compounded interest on all that high-fat, artery-clogging dietary mayhem, eventually your poor overworked heart just quits, stops dead. And so do you. We dig our graves with our teeth.

It’s easy to eat well. And it’s easy not to.

It’s not the one junk-food meal; it’s the thousands, over time. Eating the burger is just a simple error in judgment. Not eating it, a simple positive action. Eating it won’t kill you – today. But compounded over time, it can and will. Not eating it won’t save you – today. But compounded over time, it can and will.

A simple, positive action. A simple error in judgment. Either way, it’s the Slight Edge at work – working for you or working against you

Invisible results.

Why do you walk past the exercise bike? Because it’s easy. If you don’t exercise today, will it kill you? No, of course not. You know what you need to do to stay healthy and feel fit and live a long life. Get your heart rate up, a little over normal, for twenty minutes, three times a week. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And it’s easy to do.

But it’s also easy not to do. And if you don’t do it today, or tomorrow, or the next day, you won’t suddenly drop dead, and you won’t suddenly put on twenty pounds, and you won’t suddenly lose all your muscle tone and flop around like a marionette with his strings cut off. But that simple error in judgment, compounded over time, will take you down and out.

It is the same with your health, your diet, your exercise, your financial habits, your knowledge, your relationships, your marriage. With anything and everything. With your life.

You see one person eating a good meal, and the person next to him eating an awful meal. One person saving a penny, another spending a penny. One taking a brisk walk, another sitting and watching the news. Is there any difference between the two? Nothing you can see… not today, and probably not tomorrow. It’s easy to conclude that it doesn’t really make any difference.

The difference between success and failure is not dramatic. In fact, the difference between success and failure is so subtle most people miss it. They hold the philosophy that what they do doesn’t really matter. It’s not hard to see how people come to this understanding in life. I don’t blame them. It’s completely understandable. It’s just not the truth.

The truth is, what you do matters. What you do today matters. What you do every day matters.

Those little things that will make you successful in life, that will secure your health, your happiness, your fulfillment, your dreams, are simple, subtle, tiny things that nobody will see, nobody will applaud, nobody will even notice. They are those things that, at the time you do them, often feel like they make absolutely no difference… like they don’t matter.

They do.

2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

3. malnar

malnar Active Member

Cool line...I'll be using that one...

Next time someone asks me "how did you do that?" for one of my accomplishments, I'm going to repeat that paragraph. How amazingly simple, yet true.

Thanks for sharing! :tu:

4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

I'm coming out of lurk mode to say that was great!
    Thanks for sharing!

5. johnhosely

johnhosely Well-Known Member

I wish I wasn't at work right now so I could lift right now.

Maybe I'll print portions of this out and put it on my ceiling.

6. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Loving this stuff. Thanks BJ! :tu:

7. Boligee

Boligee Active Member

Thanks for posting that, such reminders are very motivational.

8. Chuff

Chuff Active Member

That was a great read. Thank you for sharing.

9. asiansensation78

asiansensation78 Active Member

This is amazing.

10. BJ

BJ Active Member

11. Sparx88

Sparx88 Well-Known Member

I would love to comment about someone bumping their own thread, but in this case, your right. Your original post is awesome and deserves a reread! Well done!:tucool:

12. BJ

BJ Active Member

Thanks... I found that I needed to go back and reread it to help me focus... thought it would do some good for others as well

13. Back on Track

Back on Track Active Member

I'm glad you brought it back. I had not read it yet, and now I feel more motivated. Thank you

14. JW

JW Active Member

Wow, that's a greatly inspiring bit of reading.

Just what I needed today, thanks.

15. BJ

BJ Active Member

sorry for the gratuitous bump of my own thread, but I just read it again and I'm reminded how much I love this and want everyone else to read it at least once

16. Back on Track

Back on Track Active Member

Always a good read. Should be stickified.

17. tekniq

tekniq Active Member

Good stuff, thanks for the most inspirational post. It's easy to lose sight of your goals at times but remembering this should help us through such times. A positive attitude goes a long way in achieving ones own personal happiness.

18. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Just bumping this old thread...

I read this thread a couple of weeks ago, (don't remember how I found it), and found it very interesting.
    So I ordered the book, The Slight Edge - Revised Edition from Amazon.
    I am about half way through it and it is well worth a read...especially when one is feeling "lazy" about their fitness routines and diet...(As I am right now)

So thanks, BJ! :claplow:

Bob

19. BJ

BJ Active Member

AWESOME! I love that book... I may go back and read it again. Thanks for bumping the thread... I was honestly considering doing it again the other day, but didn't want to seem too self-absorbed.