1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Safety Squat Bar...not what you think..

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by HevyMetal, Oct 7, 2007.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

2. goofnut

goofnut Well-Known Member

3. dino

dino Active Member

we have one of those safety squat bars at the gym and I am so so tempted to use it because it has padding on it and I always brusie the back of my neck where it rests, this looks way more comfortable!!

4. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

I have a set of safety squat bar handles that I made from simple galvanized pipe fittings, if anybody is interested in pictures. I know it's sounds pretty makeshift. I no longer use them, but they worked very well, and allowed me to squat when I was having shoulder issues.

A few bucks very well spent. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the high price of one of the dedicated bars, being, I felt I was going to recover from the shoulder problem,...

>>>--->

5. HevyMetal

GRCRYSTYK.....yes...it would be interesting to see what you made.:)

6. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

Ok,..Let me see if I can figure out the photo posting again, it's been a while,..:)

>>>--->

Ok,..That worked,.:) You can see in the pic, it's just a couple plumbing fittings, and a bit of pipe. Nothing special. If I recall, it's a pair of 1" X 1" X 3/4" T's,a nd a pair of 3/4" 30 degree elbows. Pipe as long as you need. The way it sets is very tough on the shoulders, so what I did was wrap it with some pretty thick padding, and it worked like a charm.

I must say, I had to bore out the inside of the T fittings, to slide down the bar, and drilled and tapped two set screws in the back of each fitting to keep the handle where I wanted them. Once you get the spacing where you like it, your all set. This does need to be kept on the bar, if you don't want to change it all the time. However, now that I don't use it any longer, I just removed the parts,and I have the bar back for use as a regular straight bar.

One more thing, if it hasn't been mentioned already. I think Draper stresses it in his write up as well,...Using this type of bar, does change the way you carry the weight. It's just a bit different than using the straight bar. Hard to describe. If you have shoulder issues however, it works very well, to enable you to continue squating.

>>>--->

Attached Files:

#6 GRCRYSTYK, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  7. HevyMetal

Thanks....I can see all sorts of possibilities with angled pipe and a bit of ingenuity.....:tu::)