1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"The rise of the protein drinks for ordinary people"

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by astroguy, Jun 6, 2013.

1. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

From the BBC:

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

People are crazy. I personally have no need for liquid calories. I very rarely have anything other than the occasional serving of milk in this avenue of consumption. I do find the trend interesting.

In fact, there is plenty of evidence that people are crazy. Look at this LA Times article about a single (liquid) food source nutrition plan:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-man-stops-eating-food-and-lives-on-soylent-20130523,0,7924519.story

Taking things a bit too far? I think so. Google Soylent and you can find a lot of folks talking about this product. :eek:

3. Azure

Azure Active Member

Obviously getting most of your calories or anything over 10% from liquid is a recipe for disaster. But, protein is important, and I welcome these products because it means it would be easier for me to get some protein in during my busy schedule.

When your body is as beat up as mine is from work and lifting, protein is a godsend.

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I don't mind being one of those crazy people. I enjoy my liquid breakfast ( a smoothie with everything in it...protein, veggies, fruit) and perhaps a liquid snack ( another smoothie later in the day) depending on the weather.

I can't stand hot, humid weather even with air conditioning. The idea of bouncing place to place with AC to get away from crappy weather isn't my idea of a good time. I'm a fling windows open and enjoy fresh air, kind of person.

If yogurt, a scoop of protein powder, fruit and veggies is the most terrible thing I could whip together when I get out of bed, I'll accept that.

Today I went grocery shopping and saw far too many grocery carts overflowing with cases of Mountain Dew, Pepsi, ect... Want to talk about drinking calories? Far too many diabetics walking around drinking out of 2 liter bottles of Mountain Dew because "they're thirsty"...

5. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

I get at least half my calories from smoothies I make in my vita mix. I usually eat a huge smoothie made out of fruit and whey isolate for breakfast/PWO, then a big salad with chicken breast, omelet or steak tips for dinner.

6. petvan

petvan Active Member

Why is this? Babies get all their cals from liquid and do fine? If you blend your food with water, are you going to die? I don't really see the difference myself.

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I do fruit juices and veggie juices and smoothies. Sometimes it a cucumber pear juice I drink throughout the day--refreshing, tasty, and keeps me hydrated--and other times it might be a protein mango smoothie after a work out.

I figure if it fit my macros and does not leave me unsatisfied, then why not? Blending and drinking is little different that chewing food very well.

But these are drinks I make myself. I buy mangos and slice them up and put them in a blender. I have a juicer and juice my own carrots, beets, and apples for a workout drink. I'm not loading up on Jamba Juice sugar smoothies or Starbucks Coffee-Milkshakes.

I think adding a shot of Energy and Calm (or what have you) to a fruit smoothie purchased at kiosk in the mall is pointless--and is a fake out for a nutritious alternative to soda.

Average individuals with well-rounded diets don't need extra protein. The argument could be made that most Americans don't have well-rounded diets and are deficit in protein, I suppose, but I tend to think supplement companies are all about pushing us to over-consume protein cause it makes them more money. If they have every person out there thinking they need 150g of protein a day or they will get fat--well, that's a huge win for protein shakes makers.

Jaer
    thinks the masses want a definitive easy answer to their health issues. When they are told to go low fat, that was the trend. Then it was low carb. Maybe now it is swinging towards high protein--and it won't help most people.

8. Nuts

Nuts Active Member

Jaer, you nailed it!

I know guys wasting money on protein and creatine for YEARS, still struggling to lower their bodyfat under 10%. They have no idea how to "loose weight", not even started counting calories or following a meal plan with strict caloric deficit (let alone doing tape or even caliper measurements to evaluate their REAL progress). Yet they complain they could not loose bodyfat.Thats just ridiculous.

I think the whole protein thing is just a hype. A healthy average gym-goer with a healthy, balanced diet simply does not need protein supplements.