1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ripped to Shreds Cutting Challenge: Aug8-Oct9

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by 5M17H, Aug 9, 2004.

1. jtchen22

jtchen22 Well-Known Member

Thanks Smith!

btw, who is in your avatar?

i think i can stop bulking anytime and start cutting if you want to make a challenge. i agree with you, that for me, cutting is a lot easier than bulking. bulking makes me feel so full the next day, i don't want to do anything except eat some fruit or salad with 0 protein... no eggs, no meat, no nuts, just vegetables and fruit to cleanse the system... dunno why i feel like that, but it's difficult for me to not do what my body tells me to do.

since your cutting challenge is almost up, i guess i could join in with you on it for the next 2.5 weeks! although, i highly doubt i would change much, i'd be willing to help yah out however you want.

i'm not a huge meat eater, although there are times where i will eat like 3lbs of meat in a single meal (usually on weekends). normally during the week, i watch what i eat, eat healthy fruits+vegetables, powerbars, and low-fat items... then come friday evening-sunday, it's eat whatever i can get my hands on... it's sort of a reward for being "good" during the week.

how's your diet like? i like chicken, but i prefer fish.

2. jtchen22

Smith

I don't mind the inconsistancy! bulking/cutting/maintaining is pretty much all a nice change of pace for me... doesn't really matter what I do, because as long as I stay healthy and fit, I don't care what I do.

Your diet is pretty choke-loaded with chicken/chicken and more chicken! I don't know if i could eat so much chicken at one time! but then again, I eat lots of fish, so maybe our roles are reversed...

Usually, I wake up to 2 slices of toast... workout for an hour (run, pushups, then crunches, or reverse the order), then eat a powerbar. around noon, I'll eat a salad (cabbage/lettuce/spring mix/spinach or whatever's on sale! + canned corn + tuna + some dressing). around 2 hours later, I'll have an apple, grapes, watermelon, or whatever else is in season. Then another 2 hours later, i'll eat some more fruit. Then dinner, which is usually a salad like before or some rice+curry. 2 hours later, you guessed it -- more fruit. Probably a beer or two (or sake or 2 shots of hard liquor) in between my before-bed meal. Then before I go to sleep, i'll eat some more fruit or a powerbar.

Pretty much all day long, i'm eating eating eating. I don't eat lots of meat during the week, but then again, it's probably why I'm not The Rock. I'm not into looking great as I am keeping fit. It's more important to me to be able to run 2 miles in 12:10 than to be able to bench 300 lbs.

You don't even want to see my weekend eating schedule, lol.

I usually have plenty of energy to do whatever workout I need to do with lots of intensity.

I'll try to cut this week and over the next few weeks to keep your inspitation up! Good luck, Good job already, and should we set a schedule in which to post pictures?

3. jtchen22

Smith-

How do you only eat 1 chicken breast a day?! THat's so puny! :) I can devour an entire rotisserie chicken in one sitting on my 'off day.' of course, I'll be so darn full, I probably won't eat for the rest of the day! hahaha! Yes, it's unhealthy to do that, but it's good to mix it up a little and never give your body a chance to adapt.

I know how it is to not to be able to eat regularly. Believe me, I've been there. But now, i just carry around powerbars and fruits (easy snacking items). I know it's expensive on the college budget, so try to think of or prepare during the night before, what you're going to eat the following day and set aside 10-20 minutes making it before going to bed. Sometimes, I carry around PB&J sandwiches, in case I know I won't be able to eat a regular meal. I usually eat a lot more carbs than protein/fats. My diet is probably 15% protein, 75% carbs, and 10% fat.

I do eat a lot of fruit, however, I do it because it's so simple to carry around and the local supermarket over here sells it for so cheap... like, i can literally buy one week's food for around 10-20 bucks, depending on what fruit I decide to eat and what they have on sale. Right now, I'm going through 2-3 lbs of grapes a day, but I'm almost 'graped out.' Will probably go to oranges next. Fruit also provides a good amount of fiber.

You seem to have the nutritional diet science pretty down! I don't know much about it. All I know is eating fruits/vegetables/meats and not much processed food has helped increase my health significantly. There was a time where I ate nothing but ice cream, meat, junk food, and more junk food -- all fried, of course.

About running -- Some people love it, some people hate it. I just find it relaxing, and there are plenty of scenic places here to run (Bay area, California). If you hate it, don't hurt your joints, just bike or do the rowing machine, eliptical machine, or anything else that's cardio-based. You can even skip rope (something I do 1-2x a week in the place of running to mix it up... 5 3 minute rounds, alternating speeds, and type of skipping for 30 second durations). I tore my ACL/MCL/LCL and busted the meniscus in my right knee a few years back, which contributed to my crummy eating habits, and gaining about 35 lbs in 1.5 years... I totally went from being healthy, to being overweight, lazy, a junk food eater, and totally lethargic. I can tell you the story if you want.

Those freaking mice and that cow... HOLY COW (no pun in tended). I don't know how healthy that is, but I'd rather have my meat with some fat for flavor hahaha, although a 30% reduced mutation gene pill wouldn't be too bad ;)

The Rock is pretty ridiculously huge. For me, I'd rather just look like... I dunno... I'm not too into the physical shape of my body, but rather the overall health function. I used to do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, and tae kwon do, and I LOVE fighting events. It's right up my alley... Seeing a fat guy have more stamina, power, and win a fight against a roided up muscle head always makes me laugh... Also, look at lance armstrong -- the dude's skinny and weak looking, but his VOX would make most gym rats cry like little girls... To me, that's what being healthy is all about, although being cut is good for confidence, and more importantly, getting the girls ;)

I'll try to post pictures every two weeks, until the deadline is reached.

Good luck with all your progress, and hope you reach your goals!

4. jtchen22

5. jtchen22

What's up! I thought a hurricane got you or something! :) Good luck on them tests... You'll ace them :)

[​IMG]

I've been bulking up slowly, but it's strange... Every time I eat 3000+ calories on one day, the next day, I practically have to FORCE myself to eat. I'm just not that hungry, and end up eating about 1800-2000 calories. Then by the third day, I can eat almost 3000 again, but then the process repeats, and basically evens itself out to my maintenence caloric intake of about 2200-2400... Any tips? Also, everytime I stop drinking alcohol, my weight drops dramatically... I don't want to drink everynight! Maybe a myoplex shake or two?

Good luck, and glad you're back.