1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ripped to Shreds Cutting Challenge: Aug8-Oct9

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by 5M17H, Aug 9, 2004.

1. 5M17H

5M17H Well-Known Member

5M17H

#1 5M17H, Aug 9, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  2. Benjammin

Benjammin Well-Known Member

Right On!

name: Benjammin
    height: 6'2"
    weight: 170lbs
    bf%: I would say upper 12%, I'm not sure though.

I along with kastro (I assume, since he reccomended this to me) will be following a very strict diet that can be found at www.fatlosstips.com.

Diet

7:00 am Workout
    8:30 am All the Whey protien shake, creatine
    10:30 am Meal [egg white omlette]
    1:30 pm Meal 3 [5oz chicken breast, 1 cup of brown rice, small salad]
    4:30 pm Meal 4 [snack] (not sure what to eat here, I would be open to suggestions)
    7:30 pm Meal 5 [6oz of tuna, 1 cup of vegetables]
    10:30 pm Whey protein powder

If some people have some input here, maybe some changes here and there, I would love to hear them. Anything to help right!

Lifting Routine

I will be following the exact weight program that SCHTEEVIE explained in his Bulking article, which can be found here SCHTEEVIE's Bulking Article

Cardio

As for cardio, I will run the local wetland trail in the morning before I eat anything. This will be done on the days that I wont be lifting. On the days that I lift in the morning, I will run at night, the same trail. The trail is about 6 miles long.

Good Idea???

Im not sure that the bf% is right, but maybe you can judge, I get a solid pinch of fat on my stomach, love handles, and man boobs. So thats me, any suggestions would be great!

http://apotheosis.tv/files/MVC-007X1.JPG

3. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

height: 6'
    weight:159.8lb
    bf: 12.6%

goals: get to 8% by october 8th without screwing up my shoulder. Maintain muscle. Maintain focus on goals while beginning a new job and moving to a new apartment. And of course win this contest.

My Diet will be based around whole foods. I'll be eating a good assortment of vegetables, nuts, fruits, unrefined carbs, dairy and lean meat/fish. I'm shooting for three meals and three snacks a day.

My training plan will go something like this:
    2-3 days a week of lifting.
    a couple days of core training.
    1 or 2 days cardio and or yoga.
    extra rest if I need it.

Attached Files:

4. LaynePink

LaynePink Well-Known Member

I've got the longest way to go of any of you, but that leaves more room for improvement! :D

Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 205 lb
    BF: 20-25%?

Goal: Get down to the mid-lower teens (or lower if possible) in BF%, get "in shape", maintain muscle.

I did start this on the 8th, here is a picture of me then.

[​IMG]

5. bigdog9801

bigdog9801 Well-Known Member

pablo bro you should pack pounds on dude, not get smaller 6 feet and 160lbs so at 8% you would be what like 140lbs thats kinda rough dont you think

6. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

Hey Bigdog9801,

Interesting point. There are a couple of reasons why I’m cutting. Some of these may contradict each other a little bit, oh well.

1. I think a low level of body fat is a good place to start from. It’s not an end. It leaves you with a blank canvas and a good idea of what you are working with.

2. I have a shoulder that will get crabby if I become overly enthusiastic about heavy lifting. Heavy lifting seems like a prerequisite for “packing on the pounds”. So right now, lowering my body-fat seems like a safer and more attainable goal.

3. In general I don’t think in terms of bulking and cutting. Even though this is a “cutting” contest my approach is fairly laid back. I’m not lowering my caloric intake very much. I’ll probably be consuming around 2200-2400 a day with larger days here and there. I’m hoping I may be able to gain a little muscle while simultaneously getting rid of some body fat.

4. I do prefer the feeling of being light and essential to the feeling of being muscular but heavy. So I guess that’s why I’m more inclined to enter a cutting contest than a bulking one. Ideally I want to feel strong and muscular while simultaneously light and essential.

7. LaynePink

One-week update here. I'm down to 197 from 205 lb, but I'm assuming most of that is water weight. Here is a photo taken just now:

[​IMG]

8. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

Layne: Weight is weight, good job in a short period of time. Keep it up!

9. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

Hey Layne, great progress so far. Keep at it!

Here's my first weeks progress
    height: 6'
    weight:160lbs this morning, up from 159.8lb last week
    bf: 11.9% this morning, down from 12.6% last week

I feel fairly happy with my progress so far though my shoulder has been acting up. I've decided to take at least a week off from any lifting, possibly two or how ever many it takes to feel 100%. I looked back through my traing log and realized I've been lifting since mid may until now without any proper breaks (3 monthes). That seems like enough time to warrant a break. I'm a bit upset but feel some what resolved that I'm wise enough to take the time off to let the joints recuperate. I've been icing the baby like mad.

I'm shifting my focus to cardio and core training. I still plan on out-shredding my fellow challengers so don't slack off. ;)

What else, I hope to improve my diet this week. i.e. less blueberry pie more blueberries.

Here's this weeks photo:

Attached Files:

10. LaynePink

Two-week update here. I'm down to 195 lb, which is exactly where I wanted to be after losing a bit too much (IMO) last week. 2 pounds is perfect. All my lifts have gone up by 5 lb as well. Transformation is a slow process but I'm excited about what I've done and what I'm gonna accomplish in the coming weeks.

Attached Files:

11. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

5M17H, you are working from a good base. It probably won't take you long to see the definition you want. Based on your activity levels and weight and height, I think your daily calorie intake level is too low. Why did you choose 1800?? I believe you could cut well on mid-2000's per day and lessen the risk of losing muscle mass.

Good job on the weightloss, Layne. You have a good shot at making the most dramatic changes.

12. LaynePink

I lost 3 lb this week. I'm down to 192.

I'm wondering when the fat is gonna start leaving my gut! I can tell it's left my legs and upper shoulders, but I've seen 0 change to the gut and love handles. Guess it's genetics. The only thing I can do is to keep plugging away.

Attached Files:

13. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! Keep it up and itll come off... there isnt a magically formula for how is comes off... it has a mind of its own. Great work!

14. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

The last couple weeks have been crazy. I've moved to a new apartment and am still waiting to get an internet connection there. My exercise schedule and diet have both been all over the place. Also my shoulder is still hurting. I need to make things work with what I have available right now. I want to focus on cardio and core training neither of which hurt my shoulder.

I have been getting in a lot of bicycling, about an hour a day. I'll post some pics once I make some progress. I'm still in the upper 11% range.

-Pablo

15. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

You look way lower than 12% bf

16. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

Hey 5M17H,

Thanks for the motivation. John's progress is always amazing to see. And I really enjoyed the link to the Clarence Bass website. I have a couple of his books (challenge yourself and ripped 3) both of which have excellent information and are very motivational. I think he's got a really sensible approach to fitness and health. I'm interested to check out his videos.

The only core training or ab training I've been doing is Paul Chek's swiss ball ball video for "better abs, backs and buns". I've been trying to do it 2-3 times a week. It's excellent. I always feel more balanced afterwards. He really know his stuff. I eventually want to move on to the swiss ball training for athletes tape. http://www.chekinstitute.com/product_subcat.cfm?SubClassID=5

17. LaynePink

Interesting update for me. I weighed 192 on Aug 29, then on the next Sunday (Sept 5) I weighed 193. I'd been strictly following my diet, so I wondered what was going on. I decided to up my calories a bit, and go figure, I lost 3 pounds this week. Down to 190. I'm having computer problems so I'll have a picture next week.

18. jtchen22

jtchen22 Well-Known Member

5M17H - hey, that's not a bad breakfast! keep up the good work, you can totally see the 6 pack just waiting to rip out! you've only got 1/2 a month or so until your goal date, so keep up the great work. :bow:

i've tried anthony ellis' gain mass workout for 2 weeks or so. but i couldn't keep it up. i need to gain some more bulk now, but i just can't seem to eat that much anymore. usually, i take in about 2000-2400 calories a day, but trying to eat 3000 just wasn't in me.

keep the pictures posted! your progress looks great.

19. jtchen22

5M17H

man, that's some awesome progress... you gained weight, and you still look the same from those pictures!

seriously, i used to weigh myself all the time -- i eventually became a slave to the scale. even though the mirror would tell another story, i became obsessed with my weight.

after a while, i realized, you're going to go up and down about 5-10 lbs (no joke! i can go up 10 lbs in a single day! then i probably #2 and #1 it all out! hahaha), so i stopped weighing myself everyday. i just started weighing myself every once in a while, to check on my progress. it's more about how i feel now, more than how much i weigh. i realize you're supposed to weigh yourself at the same time daily, but u know how it is!

i mean, people say you have to eat/cut 3500 calories to gain/lose 1 lbs.
    i can eat 2000 calories, but if 1000 of them are from 3 lbs of food, then guess what, i might be 3 - 5 lbs heavier the next day... it makes sense, because it's used as fuel, but at the same time, the scale doesn't lie... so where are the calories really going?

anyway, great work! maybe you and me should get a challenge going :eek:

here's me 2 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

my workout consists of running (different courses, sometimes flat, sometimes a mixture of up/downhill, etc) 2-3 miles 6x a week, 240 (8 sets of 30) pushups/400 crunches a day...

20. jtchen22

:tucool: thanks dude!

i'm 5'9, 140 lbs...

in the bulking phase right now... consuming about 3500 calories a day! i'd like to be about 155 with 9-10% bodyfat...

i'm not too concerned about the 6 pack look, but would rather be overall fit. being overly ripped is not too much of a concern of mine, but being healthy is. that's why i don't hit the gym as much as i should, but i've been doing lots of curls recently, and using freeweights.

we could start a ripped challenge thread! we could see how many people want to get in on it. it'd be fun!

but you're already getting ripped... i dunno if i'd be much of a challenge for you... i think you're more cut than me ;