1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Return - Reno's comback Trail.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Reno_1ted, Nov 3, 2008.

1. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Whoa, you're a solid looking young man. :whistle: :o

:eek: Yer hyooge!!!

Have "fun" on your cut :crazy:

2. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Wow Reno you're looking great. You've definitely put on some size. Nice work. :tu:

3. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I intend to gain a little more before the cut begins. I know mentally this is going to be a tough cut to crack. See what I did there?

I do feel a little fat around the middle. Other times, not so bad.

This week is not the most productive I have ever had. Probably in the main the effect of a whole night of missed sleep. I am a man who loves his sleep. I am no Margaret Thatcher thats for sure. I took Monday off to recover, then hit a good but perhaps over specific arm session Tuesday. Yesterday was an out of town late meeting for work, tonight I plan to hit back and traps (as already done arms). Tomorrow I have a gig in Manchester with DC79, so thats Friday out.

Next week is my fiances 30th Birthday, so I am taking her to the Lake Disrict, which is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. We are going to stay in a little village and for the first time ever, I will be eating at a Michellen starred restaurant, where the chef has agreed to adapt his 8 course taster menu for veggies (which she is, I will be having meat still!). Its always been a life goal of mine to do this, and so I am really excited. We are staying in the hotel for B&B which is joined with the restuarant. Plus 2 days away in the quiet landscape of the lakes sounds pretty good right now ! I will be sure to feedback on the food and the experience. I have always wondered, when I eat a really good meal out, "What can be so much better then this to warrent an award". I cant wait to find out.

Also on the cards is starting to clear out my front yard, which has been a shit tip since we bought the house. Overgrown, in need of a clean, plus I need to get a metal shed put in for my motorbike, which I didnt get out to ride last year, and remains in my old mans garage. The fun of this project starts Saturday. I am off work Monday, but we dont go to the lakes till Tuesday, so will do some more then as well, weather permitting (which is still shitty in the UK).

Next week will also be difficult to get any serious weight lifting done. I am due a week off, as you know I always drop off every 8 weeks or so, but I am reluctant to do so and lose my lifting momentum. Maybe if I get 2 sessions in this week, same next week, then that will do, and I can pick it up again the week after. I also need to think when I need to start my cut. I would like to be where I should be by download this year, which is June 11th. Last year I wasnt quite as cut as I would have liked. We shall see.

Have fun y'all and thanks again for the comments on the pics, makes this old fatty feel good ! :tu:

4. Reno_1ted

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=49942

This is my brothers progress pics and first post on JSF, he was nervous to put them on here, but I have pursuaded him! You will see he has done very well !!! Very pleased and proud of him, especially his progress in the last year.

Post your comments for him guys. :D

5. Reno_1ted

Its cutting time guys.

Yes I have put on some decent muscle, but man, I have put on some tubby lard as well. Especially in the last 2 weeks.

I took last week off due to going away with my other half for her birthday, and then being in work training at the end of the week. Plus it felt right to take a week off as well.

While I would love to carry on eating lots of food, I just cant seem to keep it clean anymore. I have got the point where I am not comfortable with my mid section, so time to put a plan into action.

To give you some idea, I took my starting measurements this morning, at 15.7% body fat, 34.5inch average waist and 12 stone 6.5lbs fully fasted, as you can see, boy got fat.

So today is Day 1 of my cut. Plan is to start off by cleaning up my act completely. I am going to keep up with min 3 weight training sessions per week, and add 2 morning cardio sessions per week. This is delayed until my car gets fixed (as it broke down the other night). I know what your thinking, me and morning cardio (or any cardio) doesnt work right? Well, my workout partner has hit a stall on his fatloss, so he is going to join me, and I think having someone there to meet and relying on me to turn up will be a big help.

I also want to continue to build strength on this cut, so my diet will be tweaked to ensure I have max energy for my workouts. I will take in glucose and whey post workout, then my final meal of the day will be carbs and fat only. I will continue with my BCAA powder. I may not keep up with the creatine though, I didnt notice much difference when taking it, and its a pain to remember to take.

My goal is to get below 10% body fat and to a 31inch waist. This actually came about because a friend gave me some 32inch classic Levi jeans to wear in my band, fitted style blue denim from 1979, and I cant even button them up. Yes they are tight fitted anyway, but still.

I dont care what I weigh, my goal is based mostly on waist and also body fat, which have always been great measures for me. If i get to 31 inch waist, I know I am on the right lines. Goals in the gym remain increasing weight and reps weekly. Tough on a cut, but watch me rock it. I have the great base that I have built along with my new belly, I am stronger all round then I have ever been, and I am sure I can build on that while cutting, if I do it right.

I will also be attempting to limit what I drink, though that is always a struggle for me as you know.

I would LOVE to cut up to 8% body fat again, just once. Seeing some pictures around the forums has really inspired me. We shall see. For now sub 10% and 31inch waist is the aim of the game, while adding strength.

Anyway, thats fitness. Normal world wise, things are good. I had a shitty cold which I havent quite dropped, but no gym tonight as I am off to see Skynard in Manchester. No booze though !! And need to get a healthy tea in before we leave.

Band is going well, I got fitted out for a wig recently to wear on stage. It was a very weird experience, walking into the wig shop and being surrounded by bodyless, faceless, manakin heads. There was no one in the shop until the lady appeared from the back. Just me and the heads. It was pretty scary !! Lots of gigs coming up, all quite far afield. I am actually quite looking forward to a few weekends off which I have coming up, but alas, I do need the extra money because my car broke down on the way back from a gig 2 weekends ago. Its going into the garage to be checked today. Fingers crossed its nothing major.

My other half (her name is Rachel) and I had a wicked birthday. We attended the Michelin starred restaurant as planned, and it was like nothing I have ever experienced before. You cant compare it to going for a normal, nice meal. While I have had equally as pleasent a meal elsewhere, this was just at another level of cleverness and finesse. Smoke, mirrors, the works. Very very clever dishes, all individual and all with their own concept. Some had scented smoke under the plate cover that whisped up as it was uncovered, so you could smell wood burning fires as you tucked in. One dish was presented as a rock pool, and the memories of the beach as a child and going "rock pooling" with my brother, amazing stuff. Another was presented to look like a little garden, with edible soil and little herb flowers pocking out. Just like nothing I have ever eaten and experienced. All with excellent service, attention to detail, and the worlds best cheese board!

Its little wonder I am a fat fuck these days !!!

Not much else to report. Wish me luck on this cut, here is to pushing it further then I did last year, and really making a real cut happen. I want to uncover this new muscle. :)

6. Reno_1ted

Fair bit of waffle in my last post.

So, I am officially cutting. Day 1 done, no probs. Went to see Skynyd who totally rocked, avoided all junk food, soft drinks and beer. Got back fairly early, so avoided a lack of sleep. And ate an 4 egg 50/50 ommlette with 2 slices of granary toast before I left for my dinner. :)

That said, Day 1 is always a piece of piss.

Skynyd did their new song "God and Guns". If you could capture a stereotype in one song, that would be it. ;)

I need to step up my water intake, as I still feel very bloated. Didnt drink too much yesterday.

Back to the gym tonight, shoulders and traps, woooooo hooooo cant wait. I dont feel up for it at all, still playing with this cold, but I will be there, and I am looking forward to pushing it hard, and seeing what happens.

The avoidance of Carbs in the evening is going to be fun. I didnt last night but I was pretty beat up and needed the energy. Tonight after the gym I will have my shake with glucose, then for dinner I plan a lean steak with a portebello mushroom, baked with a little red pesto and low fat cheese. If I am going to do this, I gotta get back to proper cooking, and proper food.

I am going to go now and drink some water.

7. Reno_1ted

Good day yesterday, as I got back in the gym. Was a little off the pace with my military presses, struggling to shift the same weight I was up to, but confident that by next week I will be ok. Also introduced single arm DB clean and presses. 6 a side per set, man these are HARD. They really take the wind out of you. I am also going to do more stretching, which I did 5 mins off at the end. So a good day back. Ate 100% clean. Feel a little less bloated. Water level was better. Could be better still. Cold improving, hopefullly will be fine by next week.

Back and Bi's tonight, bring it on !!!

8. Reno_1ted

Day 3, so far so good. I returned to back with brutal force, hitting up 2 sets of 6 deads at the weight I was lifting prior to last weeks break, and on my last set of deads, notched up 4 reps on what was previously my 2 rep best ever (probably from around 2008). So I am officially into new strength territory. :) I dont like to use numbers to have a who can piss higher on the wall contest, but the weight was 160kg, and that I THINK breaks the 350lb mark, so its a real landmark I wanted to have noted in here. For 4 reps to. Next week I will do all my working sets at that weight and see how it goes.

Its amazing what a difference 3 days of being 100% clean and back on it feels. I just feel slimmer, less bloated and if it wasnt for this stubborn cold making my nose run every 5 minutes, a lot more healthy. The lack of carbs in the evening isnt too bad, the glucose in my post gym shake probably helps, but I do finish my tea and get a 30 min craving for sugar, but that is just because its what my body got used to the last few weeks, and coupled with the lack of starch in the evening, its a little worse, but I am over it.

Back to the gym tonight for chest, and then the weekend ahead sees me with out of town gigs friday and saturday. I need to make a real effort here not to just eat service station rubbish. Friday I will be driving back after the gig, Saturday though I may not be, so may have a little drink then. I shall see.

Although I love playing with this band, I am looking forward to a couple of weekends to myself which I have coming up.

Also need to look at starting Cardio next week. I have my car back fixed, so no excuse. 2 morning sessions should do to start off with.

Have a good day people !:tu:

9. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

i think your new found strength could be down to your new training partner putting you through your paces :flex:

10. Reno_1ted

Dream on Richard, Dream on (for those reading, that is my current training partner posting for the first time).

So weekend, wasnt great, but that was to be expected given I was on the road for the vast majority of it. The two gigs were awesome, and I made some extra pocket money, and no doubt 2 sets of 2 hours on stage burned a few calories off as well. Sunday was a day of rest in the strictest sense of the word; I was physically exhausted! Did nothing but sleep and lay about, and by yesterday, I was fine again. I didnt take my stats, as I am moving it to Thursday, because Monday is never a good day for me after the weekend, so will just give me bollocks stats all the time. I always end up doing this, starting on a Monday, moving to a Thursday. When will I learn?

So last night, great arms session to ease back into the week. Heavy BB curls with the Olympic bar, over to assisted and then weighted dips, back to hammer curls, then follwed by skull crushers, close grip curls then followed, with single arm cable reverse curls finishing it all off nicely. Up in weight on most things, with a new PB for hammer curls.

I actually got up and did some cardio in the gym this morning. Didnt feel too bad! Need to get 2 sessions in per week, but I may well try for a few more. Watched an episode of Peep Show while on the bike, which helped pass the time and the boredom. I hate cardio.

Tonight is shoulders, and last week we changed up the system a bit, still starting with the usual military press, which last week was slightly off pace reps wise, so hopefully that will be back to where it should be again.

Diet so far this week has been spot on, and was 100% last week, save for the weekend, which wasnt too bad considering my travelling.

I dont know if I am losing fat, but I sure feel strong and well and am enjoying my training again.

Laters

11. Reno_1ted

Good shoulder session last night. Military press was better then last week, still room for improvement before I increase the weight. I think increases on this lift will slow down somewhat. I may consider pulling the bar from the squat rack rather then cleaning it up, before I press it.

Good diet again.

So stats time!

This morning (start stats in brackets with loss thereafter):

Weight: 12 stone 2.75lbs (12 stone 6.5lbs) - 3.75 loss
    Smallest waist 33.75inch (34inch) 1/4 inch loss
    Biggest waist 34.25inch (34.75inch) 1/2 inch loss
    BF: 14.3% (15.7%) 1.4% loss

For a week and a half, I will take those numbers ! :tu:

Clearly the first week is always good numbers, as you lose water and bloat, but I feel the numbers show me to be on the right track. If you couple that with new PB for deads and decline chest last week, and many other lifts going up last week and this week, I am pleased.

No weights tonight as pretty sore, but will be going for some cardio and some abs. Looking forward to it (yeah right!)

12. Reno_1ted

Yesterday sucked balls in a big way, work stressed me out towards the end of the day, and this is usually a classic receipe for me to sack the gym off, go home, and eat comfort food, especially when coupled with my diet. Add to that that it was supposed to be an off day from the gym (though I had taken the decision to go and do abs and cardio), it was tempting.

Instead, I hit the gym as planned, and ate my tea as planned. I knew doing anything other that that would make me feel worse. I wouldnt say the gym helped me feel better, but it stopped me feeling worse. My tea last night called for a few carbs, which was cool, its funny when one gets happy about 40g of brown pasta!

I am looking forward to a quiet weekend with no gigs, take some rest and get some work done at a nice pace at home. I can also catch up with my friends, and probably be easier to focus on my diet.

I am pretty tired. But it is thursday.

Chest tonight. Should be good.

13. Reno_1ted

Last night was chest, and from last week (when I changed up some of my excersizes), I swopped from flat bench to decline bench. Its a technique I like to use to help my flat bench numbers increase. When I hit a plateau on flat, i swop to decline. I can lift a bit more on Decline, so the higher weight helps get me used to being underneath that amount of weight, and gets my body used to the feel of it, with the easier range of motion that the decline allows. In 6 weeks or so, when I swop back, I hope to have broken through the plateau I was in before hand (didnt go up in weight really for 2 weeks). Already I am 15kg higher then I was on flat bench, and ready to go up again next week. Last nights lift marked 1.5 times my bodyweight and was another new PB, and another milestone. And all while cutting weight. Thats the way to do it!

I was up this morning for cardio, got in a good 30 mins to start the day off, and I am off to the gym again tonight for Legs, and that will mean a total of 7 sessions in 5 days, 4 weights and 3 cardio. I havent come off my diet at all for the whole week, I feel tired but good, healthy, and like I am moving in a great direction. Weeks like this dont happen often (fitness wise, been a lousy work week!). I should remember this week.

If I did this every week, I can only imagine the progress I would make. I feel like I have hit a new level from last year. In a couple of weeks I have a run of gigs every weekend, some pretty far away, so I am sure there will be testing times again. I do get these spells of feeling invincible, and they dont often last. But when I look back over the last week, I did it. I had 2 GIGS miles away last weekend, and drank saturday night, but this was the week that followed. What if i repeated last week another 8 times? What would it be like to get to 8% again for the first time since 2004? Maybe I will get to the 10% level (and I WILL get there) and as usual I will be happy with that, life will balance out, and that is that. But maybe the fact I am stronger then I ever have been will give me additional motivation to strip away those last few lbs and see what can be done. 164lbs at 10% (for example). The difference between that and 8% is only 3lbs or so. Ok, they are a hard 3lb to lose, but maybe this year might be the year I do it.

We shall see.

For now, I look forward to a relaxing weekend off from the band and gigs, spend some time with friends, have a beer, get some work done outside in the garden, watch England lose at rugby at my own leisure, and enjoy !

Have a good weekend!

14. Reno_1ted

How do?

Weekend was not too bad, probably could have made some cleaner choices, I felt pretty bloated by the end of the weekend, but I got a decent amount of rest, and enjoyed having a free weekend for a change. This coming weekend will be a real test.

Hit the gym last night with a couple of friends, my usual workout dude was unable to make it, so as they were going, I went with them. I am getting used to working out with others, and the extra motivation at this stage is needed. They were doing chest so I jumped on that with them. A return to flat bench saw we press a new PB, and I also matched my PB on the decline bench, even though it was the last exercize we did! A very good strong workout.

I have a funeral out of town Wednesday, which we are leaving for tonight, so no gym now until Thursday evening (when I get back). Its 2 days off work as well. Being away from home, its never easy to get the diet right, but I will take my protien powder and a shaker, and some cottage cheese, and do as well as I can.

15. Reno_1ted

Wow, no updates for a week. Its been busy. The funeral went as well as can be expected, but didnt get back to my house till late, by which time I was beat. So no gym. Then the weekend was a work night out friday, then watched UFC 111 at a friends on Saturday, which led to little sleep. I had Monday off work, so didnt really pick up my routine until yesterday.

I like the routine of work and it seems to structure my days in such a way where the gym and diet just seem to fall into place. I have set times for set things, set things to eat, and it works well for me. When that work schedule is ruined by time off etc, it really makes it a struggle for me. I think its more the change in routine, and if for example i didnt work, i would probably get into another routine all the same, but going quickly from one to another is a real knock to me.

Main thing is, I am back on it. Legs yesterday, and I am nearly back up to my PB for reps on those, the last of the lifts to reach that juncture. Shoulders tonight, and I am going to try the presses from the rack rather then cleaning the weight off the floor. Its been a struggle the last few weeks, and I am stuck on this weight, and I think the energy spent to clean the bar up may be taking it out of me. Who knows. Worth a try anyway.

We are going through some storms at the moment, and my gym buddy couldnt make the gym for CV this morning, and due to the weather, I took one look out the window and went back to bed for an hour. I have an early meeting which means I wont be able to make it tomorrow either.

This weekend we have public holidays Friday and Monday for easter. So a long 4 day weekend, which no doubt will throw me out of kilter again with my diet and training. I always struggle at this time of year, as everything seems to come at once. I am off to see Airbourne friday night, then playing a gig with DC79 in Newcastle (about 3.5 hours drive away) Saturday, then out with friends Sunday. So again, it will be tough. IF i can get my ass to the gym tonight and tomorrow, thats my three weights for the week. I could in theory squeeze a quick session in during Friday, but that is likely to be it until the following week. I should be ok going into next week though, its the 4 days of no structure for the diet I am worried most about.

What I really need is 5 weeks of solid, untainted days. As we have 2 more public holiday approaching, thats unlikely to happen, but hopefully I can make some progress, and get stronger and a little bigger if not a little slimmer.

In other news, bought a new car on Monday, a 3 series BMW 330d Tourer. Nice big car for the band stuff, but with all the BMW luxary one would expect. Its not brand new by any means, but good miles on the clock and so far its been great! Ill try and get some pics up.

16. Reno_1ted

Well, that was a HEAVY weekend! Went to see Airbourne Friday night, few beers and then sat up with a friend having a few drinks till 2am. Then Saturday I played a gig in Newcastle, didnt get in until 5.30am. Then Sunday I went out with friends, and everyone came back to my house for a nightcap, and again, 5.30am bedtime. The UK had a public holiday Monday, so I spent the whole day lying on the couch! By last night I was too tired and ill to sleep properly. This morning I feel like death just took a shit, and I popped out.

The good news is that Friday I fitted into a pair of 70's fitted Levi jeans that previously I couldnt even button up. Thats progress. I also wore a pretty fitted T-Shirt for the gig, and got loads of comments about how I looked (all good, although perhaps the shirt was a little on the small side!). One guy asked me what my arm routine was like; thats always cool! :tucool:

Speaking of arms, I am still going to go and try and workout tonight. I dont feel like it, but better to try and fail. Will be doing arms as its tough but short.

I need to get a back session in this week to.

I sure hope I feel better tomorrow. Nothing major planned for the coming weekend, will get some R&R done. Hoping to have my motorbike up and running again by then, so if the weather is ok, might take a ride out.

So far so good with my new car, what a pleasure to drive.

17. Reno_1ted

I need to avoid weekends like last weekend if I am to stand any chance of making progress. Yesterday I felt terrible, and even now I am still pretty tired. Sleep has been thrown off balance and while I did still go to the gym last night (for arms), and I did push up in weight on a few lifts, the mind muscle connection wasnt there, and I certainly didnt set the world on fire. Still, at least I went.

Will be there tonight, for Back, havent done back for a bit, so should be fun. NOT !

18. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

ditto choclate beer and food are a killer of many a session :eat:

19. Reno_1ted

Considering the weekend I had, this week has actually turned out to be ok. I took my measurements this morning, and they were a little interesting.

Since last time i measured, which was around 3 weeks ago, I am actually up to 12 stone 3.25 lbs, which is about a 1lb rise. However, I have dropped 1/4 inch from my waist and more strange, about 1% BF, making me at 12.8%. I took it 3 times, and that was the highest.

The last three weeks I have trained hard, as I have all year, and I am sure I will have gained some good lean mass. I have entered new territory weight wise on nearly every lift I do. So while it isnt the quickest cut in the world, from where I started at 15.7% body fat, to where I am now, with only a 3lb weight drop, and with my lifts going up every week, I will take that. However, I really want to stip my waist down to 32'' over the next few weeks currently around 33.5inchs. That means weekends like last weekend cannot happen often! However, most of the BF that I have lost has been from chest, shoulders and arms etc, as is usually the case with me and with most blokes. Abs and waist should follow suit. Over 15% BF is high for me, so its no wonder my waist hasnt moved as much as I would have liked.

I am glad though that I am buring body fat while putting on muscle. Sweet.

Last night was legs and was no exception to the rule. As you know, I gave up squats for a good while, but have returned to the king of leg lifts, and my last set (4 reps) last night was my previous PB, so I am back where I need to be. That was the last of my compound lifts to bring up to where it has been. It was a very hard session, especially after back session on Wednesday, which again I added weight to every lift. My deadlift is now over 350lbs, which is not bad at 171lbs! Next stop, 400 !!!! :D

This weekend should be a bit quieter then the last one!! Picking up my motorbike from a mechanics house (just had a full service) and getting it taxed and tested and back on the road tomorrow, for what is promised to be the hottest weekend so far this year (this is the UK so dont get carried away, "hot" is all relative!). Will probably go for some food with the missus tonight, and tomorrow night I will probably just kick back with some films and chill out. Plenty to do around the house and in the garden as well, as always. A homeowners work is never done.

Hope you all have a good weekend and keep training hard. Spring is here, summer is coming, life is good.

20. Reno_1ted

So its Wednesday and I last posted Friday gone. Well, not really much to report. The weekend was very good, no massive piss up or late night, no reems of junk food and sweets. Made a nice change.

I notice the difference this week, as my sleep has been spot on and my gym session Monday was superb. I upped my weight to a new PB on military press, with 5 reps, on the last set. That led to increases on all other lifts. I didnt get in the gym yesterday as I had some repairs to sort out on my new car, but I will be in tonight for Back, and hope to push the numbers up again. I will try and take some measurements tomorrow AM.

This year I will be going to download festival again (as always), and this year looks to be even better then last year line up wise. Slash was just announced on Monday, which is a great addition to an otherwise stella line up.

http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/lineup/

For me, Aerosmith are the band I most look forward to, because they are probably the last on my list of "see before I die" bands. Its nice to know after that I can die happy! lol. I also look forward to seeing Cinderella, who produced 2 great albums and some cracking songs back in the late 80's.