1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Return - Reno's comback Trail.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Reno_1ted, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Did he do the Bun-Bun story? :lol: Some friends of mine and I used to watch his spoken word over and over and over. Awesome.

I read Now Watch Him Die a few times in high school. Great book. Cheerful and all.

2. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

It was all brand new material based on the last 18 months of his life. I last saw him at Leeds Music Festival where he did an hour or so, so was cool because it was like what he had been up to since i last saw him.

So the weekend was as hectic and draining as I thought it would be. I am so glad I had the foresight to book Monday morning off work, Monday afternoon was a struggle as it was, never mind if I had had to get up and do the morning to. Slept until 11 (had 3.5 hours of "sleep" on a wooden floor Saturday night, then had band practice Sunday night from which I didnt get home until midnight), the sleep was essential, and I dont feel to bad today. I DID make the gym and pushed myself hard, went up in weight again on the military press and my side / front raise superset, so thats cool. I nearly wussed out of my shrugs though, the devil on my shoulder telling me I can just do them on Back day. But I did them anyway. Fuck you shoulder devil.

I have a feeling I may get stuck in work tonight, but hopefully not. Back and Bi is the order of the day, my back is still tender from last week, so will keep all the weights the same tonight and focus on form I think. Was a tough session last week which left me battered, so I dont feel too much of a pussy focussing on rep increase and form instead for this week.

Keep it real. Laters.

3. Reno_1ted

Not much posting this week, but its been a good one. Back and Bis was very solid, and chest was at another level, as I hit my PB for bench with some venom. Plus two people this week have commented on my frame, in a good way, one of whom was my hairdresser who I last saw pre xmas (so like right before I started back), the other a girl in work. Both said I looked like I had gained muscle, with no prompt from me. :) Always good. I think Month 1 has been superb, and here it to pushing it in Feb and March, hitting some new PB's, adding unheard of mass (for me) and then cutting down a bit for summer to reveal all the hard work.

As an aside, I went to see a Chiropractor yesterday, for a niggle I have in my back, where my lat meets my ribs meets my spine sort of place. Man. That was a painful 20 minutes of my life! After assessing me and finding the spot, he then cracked my spine in 3 places, then went to town on the sore spot, and I cant tell you how much that hurt (the cracking however was wonderfully nice!). Its still sore now, but I go back on Monday for another session (should only need that), if it works great! I will keep ya posted.

I finish work at 3pm today, and then drive 3 hours to my gig tonight with DC79, my AC/DC tribute band. Then after the gig, 3 hour drive back. Hope I dont fall asleep at the wheel ! :eek:

Have a good weekend everyone ! Say hi to your smile for me.

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:evil: :claplow:

:eek: What do you wear to work? One of my coworkers could lose or gain 20 pounds and I doubt I would notice. :o

Have a great weekend. :guitar: :)

5. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Reno, thanks for posting this. Great Stuff. What rock have I been under? This is the first I've seen of Rollins' material.

Kudo's on the comments from others. You must be doing great work. :tucool:

6. Reno_1ted

The reason for the comments is that I have been wearing my own clothes to work these past 2 weeks as a way to generate money for this Hati Earthquake appeal. Everyone in work has. So the comments I got were in T shirt and jeans, and I agree, short of a belly hanging over the waistline, its tough to tell under shirts and suits what a persons physique is like. Ned Flanders is of course the best example of this.

I got another comment on my arms before the gig friday. So I must be doing something right!

Weekend was ok, food was not the best, but didnt get drunk which is always a blessing. Friday was very late home from the gig, didnt get in till 3.40am! Yikes! Made up for the sleep over the weekend and dont feel too bad today (for a Monday).

Back to the gym this week, week 5 already. Shit man, it will be christmas again soon! Oi, Life, SLOW THE F%^K DOWN !!

Off to see Ramstein tomorrow night, should be a great show. Not seen them before, but apparently their live show is amazing. Music isnt bad either.

Oh yeah, been to the chiropractor twice now, my GOD what a painful experience! He cracked all my spine which wasnt too bad, but then he went to town on my left scapula (the area of pain), pressing, pushing, rubbing, twanging, OW OW OW OW !! Time will tell if it helped, but to be honest before I went i felt like that was the sort of thing it needed. Been twice, and he does want me to go again next week, but as I am paying privatly, I will see how I go. As a body builder, I prefer a plaster, not a cure. ;)

Think I will hit legs tonight.

7. Reno_1ted

Ended up hitting shoulders and traps Monday, and then of course no gym yesterday as i went to see Rammstein. They were very impressive, not a band I would go out of my way to see again (especially for the £50 the ticket cost me!), but, a band I am very glad I saw if that makes sense. They sing in German, which sounds pretty cool and fits well but TBH does mean that as a UK crowd you do lack a bit of interaction, there wasnt that sing along moment that makes a gig very special and that is usually one of the memories I take home with me from concerts. That said, they did set a roadie on fire which was pretty cool! The stage show is unprecidented.

Lisa, did you go see Crue yet? How was it ??? :spaz::spaz:

Have to confess i had a couple of beers last night.... Would you say "couple beers" in America, with no "of"? Why dont you like the little in between words? Like "write me". Isnt that "write TO me"? Weird. ;)

Anyway, yeah so a couple of beers, not mega loads, just 3 or 4, but feeling a litle tired as it was coupled with a 12.30am bedtime. I need to hit the gym tonight, but, I have no car as its in the garage (dont ask, I am praying for a cheap one). So I need to find someone else who is going, to give me a lift. Not feeling the love for a session but I need to get down, usually I wind up having an ok session when I make the effort. I fancy legs.

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Tomorrow! :spaz: :spaz: :spaz:

Canadian beer grammar: I say a couple of beer. :crazy: I won't be having any beer, but I'm going to see if somehow I could have just cake for supper :drool:

It's gonna be tight getting in there from work. Last time I was at that venue, I ended up having a box of caramel corn for supper because we didn't have any time to stop anywhere, and popcorn sounded like at least as healthy a dinner option as pizza. :p

How far away is your gym? I've always thought it would be ideal if I could walk to a gym, but so far that hasn't been a possibility.

9. Reno_1ted

So in Canada you include the 'of', but dont bother to make beer a plural, despite the fact the sentence confirms a "couple"? :confused: :p

Lisa, every time I have a midweek gig, my diet goes to shit. As you say, its always a rush to get home, get changed, and hit the road in time to wind up at the show on time. I think you can justify some popcorn, hey, its what Motley Crue would want! So jealous, make sure to sing along to Home sweet home for me. :tucool:

I can walk to work from home, and in theory I could walk to the gym from work, but, its probably about 3 miles back from the gym to home, and the weather here is terrible, the last thing I want to do after a tough weights session is walk 3 miles in heavy rain. In the summer I do often cycle to the gym.

So last night, no gym. :mad: I use the mad smiley (is that possible to have, a mad 'smiley'?), because even though I had no car, I could have got a lift and gone later on, but chose to listen to the fat devil on my shoulder and instead stayed in watching Seinfeld eating curry. Not a smart move. I was really tired and stressed, shouldnt let that dictate when I work out. That said, I do believe my workout would have been demotivating and poor. That said again, I should have tried and failed then not tried at all.

Defo going tonight, with guy from work who to be fair to him has stuck at this gym thing since new year. Its good to have someone to go with consistently. Kudos.

I am tempted to skip arms this week as I have a gig this weekend and last weekend my arms got really weak and sore half way through the set, and it was a struggle to get through it, not good. I may switch arms to the start of the week going forward, but for now I may just skip them. I hope to be able to go to the gym tomorrow to make the 3 for the week (the magic number right?), but I have a phone conference with a client at 5pm (on a friday, worst time ever!), so will have to really push myself to go after that.

---------------------------------

You Know I'm A Dreamer
    But My Heart's Of Gold
    I Had To Run Away High
    So I Wouldn't Come Home Low

Just When Things Went Right
    It Doesn't Mean They Were
    Always Wrong
    Just Take This Song And You'll
    Never Feel
    Left All Alone

Take Me To Your Heart
    Feel Me In Your Bones
    Just One More Night
    And I'm Comin' Off This
    Long & Winding Road

I'm On My Way
    Well, I'm On My Way
    Home Sweet Home
    Tonight Tonight
    I'm On My Way
    I'm On My Way
    Home Sweet Home

You Know That I Seem
    To Make Romantic Dreams
    Up In Lights, Fallin' Off
    The Silver Screen

My Hearts Like An Open Book
    For The Whole World To Read
    Sometimes Nothing-
    Keeps Me Together
    At The Seams

I'm On My Way
    Well, I'm On My Way
    Home Sweet Home
    Tonight Tonight
    I'm On My Way
    Just Set Me Free
    Home Sweet Home

10. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I think it's variable. I hear people say both. I think when people are being extremely casual with one another, they drop articles. Some people. Some of the time. It's hard to make any big generalizations; there's so much regional language variation. :lol:

So nevermind then.

11. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Like Choppie said, it depends on the person and the situation. In casual conversation I would say "a coupla beers." After a coupla beers, I would say "more pleashe." Once again, we are nations separated by a common language. My favorite riff on this is from Eddie Izzard, who says " you pronounce it 'erb, we pronounce it herb...because there's a fucking H in it."

Dude, you look great and have been super consistent for a long time now. Maybe you just need a wee break for a coupla weeks and then back at it.

12. Reno_1ted

13. Reno_1ted

Sleep is becoming an issue at the moment for some reason? Usually give or take the odd time, I sleep very well, but these last couple of weeks I have been waking at like 4am and taking a while to get back to sleep, and its VERY annoying. I go to bed midweek like 10pm, so not mega late, and dont need to rise till 7-8am, maybe my body just doesnt need that much right now? Or is it stuff on my mind? I got nothing on it more then usual. I always have something to think about! I do have an Iphone App that you put on your matress and it documents your sleep patterns by how much you move, maybe I am concious of that and thinking about it? That seems to be all thats changed. I am going to put some fresh sheets on tonight, scrap the Iphone thing, and see how it goes tonight.

Gym last night was awesome, I am not up to my PB for military presses, so thats chest and shoulders back to their strongest, with back not far behind. Legs I still have some way to go. I had a really good session last night, one of those everything clicks days.

Got another busy weekend ahead. I should have mentioned about last weekend, the gig I played on Saturday was amazing. We went down an absolute storm, it was packed out and jumping, easy the best gig I have ever played. www.dc79.co.uk is our website, and check out some of the comments in the guestbook! It makes you very pleased to get that sort of feedback, even if you are playing the music of someone else, you are working a crowd and doing your very best to be the best at what you do.

The gig was so late I didnt get in until 4.30am, rock n roll. Thats the second weekend running where I have had a gig from which I havent returned till late. Maybe thats not helping the sleep? :confused:

So yeah, this weekend I am not playing, but as you have probably gathered, I dont like to go too long without a music fix, so via a rather cool uncle I have tickets to see Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck at the 02 arena in London. London baby!! I dont get to our capital much, and I have never been to the world famous O2 (where Jacko was to play his "This is it" residency of course, as well as where Prince did the same thing, and Bon Jovi are due to do it to very soon). Really looking forward to that, as I have never seen Clapton live even though he is one of the main reasons I picked up the guitar long term (and why my first proper guitar was a black and white strat). Jumping the train down there, and then getting a lift with my uncle to Oxford (home of the University!) where my uncle lives, crashing there, and then back up north Sunday. Should be another busy one, but a good one!

Weekend after that, my ACDC band is off to Glasgow in Scotland, to play a gig for the 30th anniversary of ACDC singer Bon Scotts death. As he and 2 other members of the band are / were from Glasgow, and given the relavance of the weekend, I expect that to be a great show as well. Having said that, were driving up to Scotland and back the same night, so I dont see me getting home until 6am or so !!

Lifes to short to sit around. :tu:

For now though, its all business, and back in the gym tonight for a session with the bench.

Have a good day !

14. Reno_1ted

Word up.

So I scrapped the Iphone sleep-o-meter, and last night I slept much much better. I did wake up as always but got back to sleep fine.

Now, one of my rules of sleep is not to engage with the concious when you wake up; for this reason I have no visable clock in my room and never check my phone when I wake up. I believe this is fundemental to good sleep, because it avoids conciously being aware of being awake too much, or what time it is, or how much more sleep you have left to go. If you wake at 2am, you check the time, you think how much sleep have I got left, great loads, then lie awake, check the time, 2.30, 3am etc, panic now, need to get back to sleep. Also you wake and its 5.30, shit only got 1 more hour, must get back to sleep, great now I am awake, what do I have to do in work today... etc. No time, no problem with that. Could be midnight, could be 6am. All I care about is getting back to sleep and not thinking about it, not putting my mind into the concept of a time. Its sleep time, bed time, time I should be asleep. If my alarm goes off in 15 minutes, fuck it.

So my theory could be that by having this thing measuring my sleep, in my head I wake and then think, that will be on the log, then I am thinking about the fact that I am awake, and its being recorded, so then I need to get back to sleep again. And your into that mindset.

Now, does this mean that I slept better because of that? Not necessarily. My missus slept well to, which probably helped because she is not a great sleeper (she checks the time every time she wakes up.. yes, I have told her my theory. No, she doesnt listen. :p). Also, I had a rough weekend sleep wise, and it could have taken until now to reset my body clock. I also went to bed a little later. And for the past 3 days I have been getting up 45 mins - 1 hour earlier (early meetings 2 days, then today just kept to the routine). So it could be a lot of things. But suffice to say, no more Iphone sleep monitor.

Chest and tris last night was good. Energy level dropped a bit midway though. I am back to where I was for chest, shoulders and hopefully back after tonights session. Legs need focus, but it will be a while till they are back, given I gave up squats and am now bringing them back.

New territory means more tweaks. Weight this morning was 12 stone 2.5 lbs, which is 9 lbs heavier then I was before my holiday. Most of that is water and fat, but I feel bigger, and am not too fussed. Its 1-2 months cutting. What I want to do is set some new mass building goals, now I am back to where I was. I want to increase things like arm size which hasnt gone up for years. Increase my lifts 10-20kg more then I ever have. That will need me to tweak my diet and focus a bit more on it. Watch this space.

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:doh: You aren't a supporter so you can't read my journal. I moved it shortly after I started talking about more interesting things.
    Not me. But that is my home town. :madpimp: She may have been one of the women I met in a bar 15 years ago who was wearing only duct tape.

Crue was cool. They didn't play Home Sweet Home until the encore. Airborne, who opened for them were in a way cooler.

I still have the concert bug. I have plans to go in a few weeks to see Helix, "The biggest heavy metal band in Canadian history!" They are playing just a few miles from our home in a tiny little club and will be selling a maximum of 500 tickets. Given my impulse control disorder resulting from crowd anxiety, that's probably a wiser option for me than tempting the large venues where I keep getting in fights. :o

:flex:

:bb:

16. Reno_1ted

Yeah, I have seen Airbourne 3 times, and will be seeing them again in April. They are a cool rock n roll outfit.

Glad you enjoyed the gig anyway. They did Home Sweet Home for the encore last time I saw them, they rolled out a really cool painted Grand Piano for Tommy to play the intro on. Then he runs to hit kit for when the drums come in.

So, good but busy weekend. Jeff Beck and Clapton were both on top form, great show. The O2 arena in London is also a very cool venue. Weirdly I ended up back at the home of a guy who managed the "Brothers in Arms" world tour for Dire Straits in the mid 80's. Needless to say, his house was pretty nice! I dont think he has needed to work since. Imagine running a tour like that, it was on the road for 2 years, 100 cities. 12 consecutive nights at Wembley Arena plus Live Aid. Man. Cool guy anyway by all accounts.

So I am really looking forward to another good week of workouts. Though my back is still really sore, the Chiro didnt seem to help although I did end the treatment early. I got the impression he was dragging out whatever he was going to do, so fuck that. At £40 a session, of my own money, he needed to do better quicker. Then I might have felt like I should stay. I did some very heavy lifts last week, back up to my PB all round now, so no wonder I am a bit sore. I may try a sports massage. I think if it isnt the spine, Chiro seems to not have the answer.

So I did say when I hit my PBs again I would evaluate my position. Stay tuned!

17. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

New position at work....coworkers bugging you because of layoffs.....getting engaged...naw, can't think of what would be occupying your mind. :confused:

:claplow:
    I really envy your rock-n-roll lifestyle Reno. That sounds incredible.

I agree with this theory. And I read in another journal that if you wake up and your mind is racing, close your eyes and relax and start moving them back and forth like you do in REM sleep and you will fall asleep in short order. Works for me.
    Get used to that my friend.... you have a penis so you clearly don't know what you're talking about. And when the ring goes on the finger, your IQ will automatically drop 50 points. :)

Holy crap. That must have been quite the visual. And if she wasn't clean shaven before, she certainly was after removing the duct tape.
    :eek:

Awesome workouts and work ethic there Reno. :tu:

18. Reno_1ted

K3, you make some good points.

My sleep has much improved since that spell, whatever it was seems to have passed thank god; I do think the Iphone sleep monitor was the most likely, perhaps coupled with other things. I have tried that roll the eyes thing, but it doesnt seem to do anything for me except make me feel a bit dizzy. :lol:

As for Rock n Roll lifestyle, last night I went to the gym, did legs and abs, came home and changed into comfy pants and dressing gown, watched TV and some Seinfeld, then went to bed at 9.50pm. Somehow I cant see Diamond Dave Lee Roth doing the same ! :p I know what u mean though, it is cool to have so much to do. I dont tend to pass on an oppotunity when it presents itself. I regret what I dont do more then what I do. My mum died at 50 from Cancer, and prior to that was very severely disabled, so you get an appreciation that what you have in life is a gift and it should be used to the max at all time. So long as your well, you should push every area of your life and cram as much good experience in as possible. Also makes you realise life is to short, sometimes you dont get the chance to do the things you put off until your older. I say, do em now while you can.

I could however, use a weekend to chill. And also need to start working on my front garden (yard). However, the weather here is still shitty. Hopefully come March, i will have a few weekends free to get it started.

So, legs last night, for only the second time in 2010. :o I started a log with the weights that I did, and pushed myself, and feel like I proved a point to myself. Legs has its place in my workout week from now on. As does squat, which I made a return to last night. Did a decent squat actually. All good.

Shoulders tonight.

I have purchased some creatine and BCAA powder, and am revamping my workout nutrition. The AMPED had too much caffine to make it viable, so thats out, but I want to try this combo

Pre: 1 scoop Whey, 1/2 scoop Glucose, 1 portion Creatine, 1 portion BCAA powder.

During: 1 portion BCAA powder

Post: 1 scoop whey, 1/2 scoop glucose, 1 portion Creatine

From here on in, its all about my workouts. I hope this attention will allow me to push new boundaries in the gym. We shall see.

I also wish to tweak my nutrition, but will leave that for now and see how I get on with this new supplimentation. Dont want to change too many things, see improvement, and not know what has caused it.

Laters!

19. Reno_1ted

Good chest workout last night. Solid increase in weight on most lifts.

I am thinking of spanking my arms tonight. I did some triceps on the back of yesterdays chest, but feel like doing a session purely on them.

Then again, I may do shoulders. I am though pretty sore from head to toe. Will see how I feel when I get there. I will though train, thats the main thing.

I may soon see 13 stone on the scales. Now, whether thats good or bad I dont know. In the mirror this morning, I could still see some abs, although blurry. Sometimes I feel fat, other times just a bit bloated, and other times pretty trim. I guess when your bulking, this is common. Havent done it for so long. I really need to keep track on my waist. I dont want to cut until I am notably more strong on all my lifts then I am now, which will be more then I ever have been. I want new muscle this summer.

My bro has lost a heck of a lot of weight this last year, he posted some progress pics on Facebook, very good job. I will have to get him to post them on here. He has done it properly, with a lot of mistakes along the way as does everyone, but all with weights and diet, and he has avoided looking skinny, as he has retained and added some muscle. He says I was a big help, with giving tips and advice, so thats really cool.

Also the guy I have been training with since Jan has lost 1.5 stone (21lbs) since he started. Again, I have helped him with his diet and given him pointers and of course the gym program. Very little cardio to.

Its really cool to see people listen and make the effort and get results. If only everyone did. :D

20. Reno_1ted

I am quite happy with the increased muscle mass I have developed. Just a shame I seem to be putting on some middle fat as well. Ah well, a few more weeks of lifting and eating big (and whatever I want! :lol:), and then the "fun" cut will start. I think once I am done, I will have some good new muscle. Since April last year, I have added quite a bit of size. :nod:

Apologies for the stupid faces. I was half tempted to blank them out, except I thought fuck it, I am amoung friends here now. :cool::lol:

Attached Files:

#240 Reno_1ted, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010