1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Return - Reno's comback Trail.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Reno_1ted, Nov 3, 2008.

1. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Oy mate. Where ya be? No posting....no holiday photos? Catch us up man.

2. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Well, I am back ! :)

Last few months, well, where do I start. Not much of a dweller of things that have been done, and for the most part, I dont really mind.

I came back from my holiday, and never really got my Mojo back. I lacked any sort of motivation, no drive to lift and eat clean and frankly fancied a bit of a blow out. It was a concious decision, and thats what I did. I havent been to the gym for 2 months, and while I havent eaten pizza 4 times a day, I havent watched what I ate at all. And, if I am being honest, by and large I enjoyed it. :nod:

However, you know when that light comes back on, and you wake up ready to make a change and "come home". I hit that over xmas, like I knew I would. I woke up with that feeling that more then anything I want to lift weights, eat clean, drink lots of water and get trim and strong, and I have come into 2010 with a new focus, a new drive, ready to hit it off again, just like I was before. Sometimes you gotta take a break. I honestly dont feel negative, annoyed at myself or depressed that I have made some backwards progress. I feel ready once again, and so here I am. Back in the saddle. Feels good.

So there is nothing really to go into in any detail. Just back to the gym, back to how I was, and ready to pack on some serious muscle while dropping a few inches from the waist. Unlike most I know I will not end up being part of what I call the "January sales", come Feb, come March and so forth, I will be there.

Only slight changes from before (for those who follow closely) is that I will not be dropping carbs for now, and will be taking in extra protein pre workout, and using glucose with my shake post workout. Will be using AMPED again. My focus first and foremost is to get my muscle and strength back asap, which with muscle memory shouldnt take long, but dont want to rush and injure myself.

So meals will be:

1) Usual shake of Whey Protien, Raw Oats and Banana
    2) Cottage Cheese and Fish Oil Caps
    3) Chicken & Brown Pasta Salad, healthy fat dressing
    4) Tin Tuna and 1/2 AMPED (1 hour pre workout)
    5) Rest of AMPED drink during workout
    6) Post workout shake of Whey and Glucose
    7) Lean meat, good Carbs, low fat evening meal.

For meal 7, tonight I plan spanish egg white ommlette with lean ham. You get the idea.

Usual splits on the weights. Tonight is back and bi's. Got 2 new people coming training with me tonight which is cool, though 3 people can make for a slow session. Hopefully they will both stick with it.

I promise now I am back I will get the holiday pictures up, I dont feel I ever properly closed off that chapter of my ongoing journey.

Some out of fitness updates, I now play Rhythm guitar in an ACDC tribute band, played first gig last week and it was excellent. Better venues, better money etc. Still with the other band, but got a bit tired of wasting time going no where with it. Life is too short to sit about because other people lack motivation for something. I am also engaged to my other half, as of xmas morning. Very pleased, I am finally growing up !! :D Got a few bits done on the house while I was not going to the gym, which is cool, and ready to sort out the front garden / driveway once it gets a little warmer! Saving for some refurb stuff for the kitchen. Then, its time to save for a wedding ! YIKES !

I hope everyone reading has made their 2010 goals, and is ready to kick some ass !!!!

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:)
    :D

Congratulations. All the best to you in the new year!

4. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the engagement Reno. :tu: And best wishes on 2010 and meeting all of your goals.

5. Reno_1ted

Well, Day 3 into the new start, things are 100% diet wise. I hit the weights for back and bi's Monday night, was a good session. I had to hold back a bit because I didnt want to damage anything, but I felt strong and like it wouldnt be long till i was back to my best. My joints were sore afterwards, but thats to be expected with the shock of lifting again, and I didnt lift properly light weights either. Today I have some great DOMS in my back and arms. Ah Doms. How I have missed you old friend. :cool:

I couldnt train last night because, get this, we are in the middle of the coldest weather for years, and snow is causing real problems. Its a joke really, when you consider Canada etc, we have a few inches of snow at most, and by cold, its -1C to some places -8 or so, cold yes for people in warmer climbs, but probably quite mild for those people used to taking a snow plough to work. England tends to break with any temperature above or below about 17oC. Too hot, and things melt, people moan, offices swelter and people rush out to buy the last desk fan, train tracks get too hot, trains are cancelled etc. Too cold, and everyone freezes, moans, cant drive, trains cancelled etc. Anyway, where was I *reads back*.. ah yes, so the gym was closed as staff couldnt get in! At the moment as I type its lunch time and it is open, but cannot be sure it will be after 5, so need to call and check again. Crazy. Not a good time for a gym to be closed, imagine how many people will fall of the wagon in this time. What an excuse! "I wanted to train, but it was shut, and Maccy D's is right next door.. ah fuck it". Mind you, those fuckers make money no matter what, they have everyone signed up so what do they care. What a joke, I made it to work, its such an excuse.

Well, I havent let it be an excuse for going off plan, but I cant get out and run or anything instead. I may get the stationary bike out if its closed tonight, but i really want to get a weights session in again. Shoulders are feeling neglected!

Guava, I see that Airbourne are confirmed support for Crue in Canada. I have tickets to see them in April and have seen them 3 times before, including when they first came to the UK and were playing to 300 or so people. You will not be disappointed, proper old school rock n roll. :madpimp:

The line up for this years rock festivals in the UK is looking tasty. Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden and Ramstein confirmed for Sonisphere, and strong rumours of ACDC and Metallica for Donnington (though no official annoucements yet). Fingers crossed, it would be a top summer!! :guitar:

Laters everyone !!!

6. Reno_1ted

Gym was open again yesterday, so got in a good 1st shoulder and trap session in the new year. Should be back again tonight for chest and tris. All meals spot on. Its tough in the evenings not to dig into a bag of haribos. Helps that I dont have any in the house. I always seem to crave sweet things in the evening. It will pass.

Will sort the holiday pics etc tonight.

7. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Craving

Reno, I find this to be the case with me a lot (cravings in the evening--expecially carbs). I'm not really hungry. I just start craving a bag of chips or some other junk. Are these cravings pretty regular with you? Do they come and go? Only come with diet changes?

I eat pretty low carbs, so I usually have a piece of cheese or something. That helps but not always.

8. Reno_1ted

I can only speak for myself, but what you describe is what I get, not hunger, just a craving, except for me its more sweet then savoury carbs that I crave. I am not on low carbs, so I think its more just because most evenings I would eat a lot of sweets the last few months, and my body has got used to that sugar kick, and now it craves it, like it would with nicotene. You would be surprised what your body misses once its used to something. I usually find if I stick to avoiding sweets in the evening, eventually the cravings die down, again just like with any "addiction". Even at weekends, when I do relax my diet somewhat, I will avoid late night snacking where possible, otherwise the cravings start all over again the next week.

In the past I have used tinned pears or fruit to get over that craving. Yes, its calories that could be used for a pre bed protein or something, but, if it stops you eating 2 bags of chips or a large bag of Haribo, then its worth it. Fruit is always a good option, and the fructose does kill the craving quite a bit. Even an apple will help.

So gym again last night, good chest and tri session, and that rounds off my first week back. I am VERY sore right now, everything aches all over. Its good to be back. I have noted down all my lifts this week and will add to them week on week until I am back where I was.

As everyone who reads this knows, weekends can be tricky for me. However, with no money in the bank following a rather expensive ring purchase, I will be staying in, and while I may have a glass of wine, I wont be going OTT. Should be in good shape for week 2. :tu:

The goal right now isnt so much a cut, as it is just regaining my strength. I intend on losing some fat while that happens, with the workouts and clean diet, but once I am where I want to be strength wise, I will re-assess. I would like to continue to lift hard without an agressive cut, and then cut a bit pre summer, but it all depends on timescales. As always, one goal and step at a time. Once I am back to my best on Deads, Leg Press, Mil Press and Bench, then I will be happy, and goal 1 will be done.

Have a good weekend.

9. Reno_1ted

So I have dug out the pictures from my holiday. Rather then post the posed pictures, which to be fair can always be tinkered with a little, I will continue the theme of this thread and just post some everyday shots from the holiday, which do give a very true and real picture of how I looked and how my cut and training went prior to it.

In looking at these, I went back and had a look at my 2004 pictures as well, when I was 6-8% body fat, following my first ever cut when I first came to JSF and made the change. Man, I was cut to pieces back then. 6 years ago nearly. When you look back at those old pictures, its hard to know what to feel really. Back then I had nothing in my life except training and eating. Now I have a house, with the mortgage and bills that brings, a serious and stressful desk job, and all the fun and late nights that can bring, a fiance, 2 bands... life is very different now. Its kind of easy to see why many people post that they were pretty althletic during their 20's, and then as the 30's approach and kids and houses and life gets busy, they get fat. I am 28 now, 29 this year, and I could quite easily get fat if I let myself.

So I have to ask what is the bigger achievement. Back then when I cut in 2004, and man, I looked bloody good if I do say so, or this last cut, where I didnt reach much below 10%, but I did what I did with everything else in life carrying on. I managed to cut without making that cut my life. I added strength and muscle without making that the sole purpose of getting out of bed every day. I kept trim where others would have given up and slobbed out on the couch every night after a stressful day, with a glass of red and a bag of chips. One day perhaps, I will get the time and the drive to dedicate every day to training, never drink, never cheat, eat sleep and breath weight lifting and diet. I may get that 7% BF body again, but for now, I have to give myself credit for where I am. Everyone who reads this blog knows that I havent really abstained from life, but I have kept the balance spot on (IMO) for the first time ever, and that to me is somewhat harder to acheive in a way.

Anyway, enough ramble. I should point out the last pic is my favourite from the whole holiday and the good lady on my arm is my wife to be. :)

Attached Files:

10. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

What a great thing to do--reflect on where you have been and where you are now.

Reno, that's some real maturity (physically and otherwise) right there. Your shots look great. You wear the last six years well.

What a beautiful young lady who has consented to spend the rest of her life with you!:tucool:

11. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Reno, thanks for your help. I've made a couple of diet tweaks (more aggressive) and they are working. Now I have to see if I can get my weight to where I'd like it.

12. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Awesome photos Reno. I think you are spot on with your view that it's harder in many ways to strike a balance you can maintain than to go hard core and be totally shredded. Well done there mate. :tu:

13. Reno_1ted

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

The more I see those photos the better I feel about the progress I made last year, coming back from 35 inch waist and about 15-16% body fat (or something like that), pretty good going. I like the fact those photos arent "staged" as well, no trick of the light, basically capturing how I looked in "real life".

Ive got to say, the weekend was the most boring time ever. I ended up sorting through paperwork, bills and documents yesterday, putting them into a concertina file in the correct sections. That. Is. Dull. I really need a bit of excitement. I sat about a lot over christmas, and that was cool, but now I am feeling more active, and there was just nothing to do.

Was really sore over the weekend, but now am back feeling not so tight, so back to the gym again to start week 2! Back and Bi's, step it up a notch in the quest to get back to where I was.

14. Reno_1ted

Yesterday was not the greatest.

Went out for lunch, could have made better choices truth be told. Then felt too full and bloated all afternoon, and didnt hit the gym. I would say in defence that I wasnt planning to hit the gym, so I didnt miss a planned workout, but, I could have gone. Ah well, hey ho.

Gym tonight for sure, shoulders and traps. Had a good session Monday with back and bis, adding weight to everything except the deadlifts, which was wise as I felt it was heavy enough to be getting on with. Hope to add some weight to everything tonight.

I may then hit the cinema to see this Avatar 3D I have heard so much about. Its right next to the gym, so i can probably work out something that means I am there without having to go home for tea. Will mean a hot dog and cheesy natchos for dinner though... ;) Nah, Nandos is next door, so probably just grab a chicken pitta or something like that, no dressing. Remember folks, size and strength is the focus right now, with any fatloss a bonus. I certainly do not want to get fatter, but, I will switch to a more focussed cut later in the spring.

15. Reno_1ted

16. Reno_1ted

Last week was another good week, I actually managed to get 4 sessions in, all were good solid efforts as well. I broke my 2010 leg virginity with a light leg session (defo didnt want to overdo it and not be able to walk!), and so I can continue to work those now as well. All diet was spot on last week, and while the weekend was far from perfect, it wasnt too bad, and I aint sweating it.

I think I am a little over calories in the week at the moment, I need to start monitoring stats again, which I will start tomorrow morning. Especially interested in waist measurement. Not too fussed on weight, though would be interested to know what my morning natural weight is right now, as I have no idea.

Training chest last week, I bumped into a lad I trained with a good few times last year, he is a big strong dude, and so competative nature took over and I ended up on the decline bench pumping out very near to my PB, and with relative ease. While it wasnt smart, and I was lucky not to be very sore the next day, it does show that a few months lay off isnt the end of the world for muscle growth. In fact, I doubt I lost any to be honest, and its just a case of getting myself and my joints used to the lifting again. If anything, its probably been a good thing to have the time off, after 10 months of solid progress and lifting. Not so good for the waistline mind.

Gym again tonight for week 3.

17. Reno_1ted

I am really pushing the pace with my compound lifts. After the motivation of the decline bench press thing i mentioned from last week, this week I have increased my standing military press by 5kg and added 10kg to my deadlift, and the numbers being lifted are now not far off where I was. Probably another 10-20kg for my deads, and 10kg for my standing press. The deadlifts wiped me out, and the rest of the session was hard going to push myself, but I did. I felt though that I didnt give my bi's 100%, so i may try and fit in another arm session. I would really like bigger arms for this summer. Wouldnt we all ?!

Sooooo I weighed in this morning for the first time, at 12 stone 2lbs. So about 8-9lbs up from my holiday weight. Meh, Ill deal with that. Probably a couple months hardcore will see me back down, but I really want more mass on me at the moment. Having a covering of fat isnt that bad right now, while its cold, and I am enjoying lifting very much. I will keep an eye on it though, so it doesnt go up any further (the scales), because half a stone I can handle, but more is going to make it harder later on. That said, I dont see my weight going up too much, as I should burn some fat and increase some muscle, so will probably not sweat it too much.

No gym tonight, I am off to see Henry Rollins give a spoken word gig in Liverpool. I have seen him speak before and he is one of the most interesting cool people I have listened to. Very insightful, and just, well, interesting. I hope he talks about weight lifting and working out.

Laters !

18. Reno_1ted

Henry Rollins was awesome. The dude spoke for 2.5 hours, man thats value for money. To be able to hold an audience for that length of time, just telling stories about your life interjected with his views, is pretty amazing.

Gym tonight. Work is pissing me off so much today, seem to be getting shit from all angles. A good weights session should help!

"Iron and the Soul" – Henry Rollins.

I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like you parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. Completely.

When I was young I had no sense of myself. All I was, was a product of all the fear and humiliation I suffered. Fear of my parents. The humiliation of teachers calling me "garbage can" and telling me I'd be mowing lawns for a living. And the very real terror of my fellow students. I was threatened and beaten up for the color of my skin and my size. I was skinny and clumsy, and when others would tease me I didn't run home crying, wondering why. I knew all too well. I was there to be antagonized. In sports I was laughed at. A spaz. I was pretty good at boxing but only because the rage that filled my every waking moment made me wild and unpredictable. I fought with some strange fury. The other boys thought I was crazy.

I hated myself all the time. As stupid at it seems now, I wanted to talk like them, dress like them, carry myself with the ease of knowing that I wasn't going to get pounded in the hallway between classes.

Years passed and I learned to keep it all inside. I only talked to a few boys in my grade. Other losers. Some of them are to this day the greatest people I have ever known. Hang out with a guy who has had his head flushed down a toilet a few times, treat him with respect, and you'll find a faithful friend forever. But even with friends, school sucked. Teachers gave me hard time. I didn't think much of them either.

Then came Mr. Pepperman, my adviser. He was a powerfully built Vietnam veteran, and he was scary. No one ever talked out of turn in his class. Once one kid did and Mr. P. lifted him off the ground and pinned him to the blackboard.

Mr. P. could see that I was in bad shape, and one Friday in October he asked me if I had ever worked out with weights. I told him no. He told me that I was going to take some of the money that I had saved and buy a hundred-pound set of weights at Sears. As I left his office, I started to think of things I would say to him on Monday when he asked about the weights that I was not going to buy. Still, it made me feel special. My father never really got that close to caring. On Saturday I bought the weights, but I couldn't even drag them to my mom's car. An attendant laughed at me as he put them on a dolly.

Monday came and I was called into Mr. P.'s office after school. He said that he was going to show me how to work out. He was going to put me on a program and start hitting me in the solar plexus in the hallway when I wasn't looking. When I could take the punch we would know that we were getting somewhere. At no time was I to look at myself in the mirror or tell anyone at school what I was doing.

In the gym he showed me ten basic exercises. I paid more attention than I ever did in any of my classes. I didn't want to blow it. I went home that night and started right in. Weeks passed, and every once in a while Mr. P. would give me a shot and drop me in the hallway, sending my books flying. The other students didn't know what to think. More weeks passed, and I was steadily adding new weights to the bar. I could sense the power inside my body growing. I could feel it.

Right before Christmas break I was walking to class, and from out of nowhere Mr. Pepperman appeared and gave me a shot in the chest. I laughed and kept going. He said I could look at myself now. I got home and ran to the bathroom and pulled off my shirt. I saw a body, not just the shell that housed my stomach and my heart. My biceps bulged. My chest had definition. I felt strong. It was the first time I can remember having a sense of myself. I had done something and no one could ever take it away. You couldn't say **** to me.

It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have learned from the Iron. I used to think that it was my adversary, that I was trying to lift that which does not want to be lifted. I was wrong. When the Iron doesn't want to come off the mat, it's the kindest thing it can do for you. If it flew up and went through the ceiling, it wouldn't teach you anything. That's the way the Iron talks to you. It tells you that the material you work with is that which you will come to resemble. That which you work against will always work against you.

It wasn't until my late twenties that I learned that by working out I had given myself a great gift. I learned that nothing good comes without work and a ceratin amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can't be as bad as that workout.

I used to fight the pain, but recently this became clear to me: pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. But when dealing with the Iron, one must be careful to interpret the pain correctly. Most injuries involving the Iron come from ego. I once spent a few weeks lifting weight that my body wasn't ready for and spent a few months not picking up anything heavier than a fork. Try to lift what you're not prepared to and the Iron will teach you a little lesson in restraint and self-control.

I have never met a truly strong person who didn't have self-respect. I think a lot of inwardly and outwardly directed contempt passes itself off as self-respect: the idea of raising yourself by stepping on someone's shoulders instead of doing it yourself. When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character. It is the difference between bouncers who get off strong-arming people and Mr. Pepperman.

Muscle mass does not always equal strength. Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart.

Yukio Mishima said that he could not entertain the idea of romance if he was not strong. Romance is such a strong and overwhelming passion, a weakened body cannot sustain it for long. I have some of my most romantic thoughts when I am with the Iron. Once I was in love with a woman. I thought about her the most when the pain from a workout was racing through my body. Everything in me wanted her. So much so that sex was only a fraction of my total desire. It was the single most intense love I have ever felt, but she lived far away and I didn't see her very often. Working out was a healthy way of dealing with the loneliness. To this day, when I work out I usually listen to ballads.

I prefer to work out alone. It enables me to concentrate on the lessons that the Iron has for me. Learning about what you're made of is always time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. The Iron had taught me how to live.

Life is capable of driving you out of your mind. The way it all comes down these days, it's some kind of miracle if you're not insane. People have become separated from their bodies. They are no longer whole. I see them move from their offices to their cars and on to their suburban homes. They stress out constantly, they lose sleep, they eat badly. And they behave badly. Their egos run wild; they become motivated by that which will eventually give them a massive stroke. They need the Iron mind.

Through the years, I have combined meditation, action, and the Iron into a single strength. I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind. The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

19. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

thanks for sharing that. awesome!

:dreamy:

#219 dejavued, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  20. Reno_1ted

The "200lbs is always 200lbs" is my favourite bit of that. Its quite an oldish quote that I actually first read here on JSF, and that is what got me into him. I have seen him speak twice, both times very cool. I can highly recommend his gigs.

So gym last night, great chest and tris workout, fueled by a crappy day at work. Really feel back into it now, think I might go and do another extra session tonight. Just had chinese food for lunch for someones last day in work. Whoops. Defo better workout!!

This weekend will be a crazy one. Got an all day session planned with the lads in Birmingham (Midlands, UK....not Alabama :p ), which should be great fun, meeting up with my good friends, just the lads, and letting of some manly steam. Then back to my hometown, quick pack of the car with my band gear, and then off to Manchester (North West, UK... oh, you get it, you nicked all our town name!!!) for band practice. By the time i get back and sit down, it will be late Sunday night. So ive booked Monday morning off work to catch up on sleep, so hopefully it wont wipe out my week!