1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Return - Reno's comback Trail.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Reno_1ted, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Last night I had a friends leaving do from work, she is off to have a baby, so we all went to a mexican place for food and drinks.

First thing of note is that I didnt have any drinks (of course). Being in the company of 2 pregnant ladies, this meant I wasnt the only one. Still tough though. The meal itself was far from the plain steak, no sides, that I will be having tonight. However, I did what I could to make it as clean as possible. I am not, as you know, a person who will shirk a public meal with friends, or sit there not eating because I have a grilled chicken on standby at home. I started with a handful of plain natchos, with a fresh salsa, while others delved into spicy meatballs, sweet chilli mushrooms, and Nachos covered in sour cream, spicy sausage, guacamole, chilli and tons of cheese. Then for main I had chicken wraps, with so little cheese I would almost say no cheese, a small spread of sour cream, and some guacamole. Others delved into very cheesy, meaty, creamy main courses. So I did well.

I felt kind of guilty afterwards, which I hate, and which isnt like me at all. Sometimes I wonder if this is worth it, but I remind myself I dont live like this all the time, but I have a goal, and this is what I need to do to get there. For me, after the holiday, I will probably increase the carbs and calories a bit, and likely float back to about 12% bodyfat. It is where I am happiest; I am still far from fat, I can lift, have more energy, and more then anything I have the freedom to do what I like without being guilty. I wont go above 12 because I train, and I eat clean 80% of the time, and I keep myself checked. Fuck 3. 12 is the magic number.

For now though, its onwards and downwards to the single digits. I am starting to get all the "your obsessed", "its not normal", "why do you need to diet" etc etc, :rolleyes: I just take it to mean I am doing things right for a cut to single figures. :tu:

Weights wise, I could sure use a week off, my body is in bits right now. Got a bum hip, bum pec / shoulder joint, and sore neck. Ah well, 2 weeks tomorrow... I hit the gym yesterday lunch time again for a cardio session, couldnt go last night due to the meal, or this lunch time due to a meeting. I will be going tonight, for weights, but I will do biceps and back, because thats about all that isnt sore. I wont do deads though for the first time in years, because my hip and lower back is pretty sore. Some rows, pulldowns, close grip chins and maybe BB rows, then some arms, should see me through.

I have a gig tomorrow night, and will be driving back for sure, so that saves the worry of the booze. I doubt I will get to the gym tomorrow after work, but should be able to get a lunch time in. That will mean 3 weights, 3 cardio. Which is cool, shows I have upped my game this week. Never count your workouts before they have hatched mind, its a deadly game.

Its all going to come down to the next 2 weekends. It wont be easy, but, it will be the difference maker for sure. My scale weight isnt moving, and while I put little focus on that per se, I do feel it needs to show me 11 stone 6 now. I think by the time I get to 11 stone 7, I blow out at the weekend, and put myself back that little bit. When your going under 10%, one cannot afford that "Little bit". Each percentage point is but mere lbs of weight, and so thats a bit difference. When you think 22% down to 21% BF can be a large number of lbs, you can afford to backslide a little and still make progress. At this level, one doesnt have that luxary.

Its the reason I would never maintain a <10% body fat for long, and the reason I feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to.

12 is the magic number.

2. Reno_1ted

Hit the gym last night, good solid back and bi session. It was a slight "going through the motions" and lacked a touch on intensity, but I still got it going. I didnt deadlift, which is usually where I start my workout (I start them all with the big lift), and because I shift a decent amount of weight, and am pushing the numbers every week, that usually gets me fired up. I guess i missed that. However, my shoulder and hip feels a lot better today, so right decision. I still got a good workout in. I ended up stuck in work till late, and as I got to the gym and was getting changed, I thought "I would so have skipped this workout a few months back" due to being at work late, tired and sore. The thought didnt even occur to me to skip it, I just left work and drove down. Pretty cool. :)

Slight change of plan today. No gym. Weighed it up last night. Gig tonight = 2 hours of me pracing about the stage under lights showing off, usually a pretty tiring experience in itself. Didnt want to do myself in before the show with a lunch time session, and as I am NOT drinking tonight, I will go tomorrow, and, yes, really, hit a weekend session! Probably abs and calves, as I havent done my calves this week. Shouldnt be a problem.

I may even check in here over the weekend, to keep me on course. This weekend HAS to be good. Fingers crossed.

PS Weighed back at 11 stone 7.5 this morning, so am at the low weight that I get to every week but never beat. With a decent weekend, I know I can see 11 stone 6 next week. Come on !!!

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree. This weekend has to be good. :nod:

[​IMG]

4. Reno_1ted

Well, friday night done, and all is well. No cheat meal for tea, no carbs, no mars bar on the trip to the venue (I usually "fuel up" with a mars, I love mars bars), and no beer at the venue, even though it turned out I didnt need to drive back anyway. And no fast food stop on the way home.

I feel good. Gig went well to. However, its now 1.10am here, and I am done in. So goodnight. Here is to Day 2 being just as good.

5. Reno_1ted

So its now Wednesday and I havent posted since the weekend. Does that mean I had such a fall from grace that I couldnt face the music? Well, no it doesnt. I had a superb weekend diet wise, no beer whatsoever, no late nights, no nights out on the booze, no takeaways or junk food of any note. For my cheat meal I had a sunday dinner of roast venison, potatos, parsnip puree, turned glazed carrots and sweet red cabbage. :drool:. And I had a small handful of sweets and a small bag of crisps while watching a couple of films. I avoided snacks, and had no carbs in the evening. Saturday night i was sat in and got a craving for something sweet, so I had a protein shake, with ice and a bannana blended in. :cool: Quite possibly the best dietary weekend for as long as I can recall.

So why the delay?

Well, I woke on Monday feeling pretty sick, and by the end of work Monday I had eaten next to nothing and felt terrible. It seems my good weekend was ruined by a stomach bug, and I left work early, and was done for until this morning. I was off work yesterday, and ate very little yet again. I was wiped out.

Today I feel much better, but still a little delicate. Thats what happens when you have the perfect weekend! My body rebelled !! :lol:

With less then 2 weeks to go till my holiday I was a little pissed off, because this week will not be as planned now, no way. But I have to think at least this was before my holiday, and also maybe the low carb and 2 per day gym sessions were a bit OTT. My body does like a weekend refeed, and while that doesnt mean beer, it should mean a bit more to eat them normal.

I may chance a gym session tonight, but I wont be breaking PB's with heavy sessions, far from it. I would still like to workout in some capacity though, but believe me, I wont overdo it or even go if I feel bad come 5pm. At the moment I have eaten my diet as planned today (carbs for lunch, not going low day this week), and so far I feel ok. While I wont push it, I also wont use it as an excuse either.

What a week ! Things will get thrown at you in life, and you have to roll with the punches.

6. Reno_1ted

So i did go to the gym, but it wasnt very good. I was very tired and felt weak, and in the end, I did a small shoulders routine then went home. I think it probably did more harm then good, though no relapse today. So I will write this week off and get a few sessions in next week before I pack and leave. Its a shame my cut ends this way, this week should have been my crucial and effective week, but hey, at least I am feeling better in time for the holiday, that would suck more. I have that feeling of my abs blurring away into nothingness, which is pure bullshit and all in the head, but its weird how you feel fatter just from not training. Reality is that I am not, and will likely just maintain what I have by this time next week, with another clean weekend, which I will have (though I am half tempted not to after whats just happened !).

I know a few of your hardcore fans might be wondering what I am going to do re chest rug removal? Well, decision is that I will go for a trimmed look, like a 3 on the clippers. I have tried this, and am pleased with the results. I think to shave will leave a rash, to wax is a lot of hassle and pain and may still leave a rash, this way some rug remains, but is trimmed enough to show definition. Plus I can keep it like that. And I still retain a certain amount of manliness. :lol:

So sleep easy now folks, you are in the picture on this hot topic.

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:whistle: :o

Keep rollin' with those punches. Not every week is going to be perfect, and there are a lot of different angles of perfection.

Parsnips have been coming up a lot in conversation lately. I might have to give them a try again. :drool:

8. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thing happened at the end of my cut earlier this year. I hardly managed to eat anything or lift anything for 4 or 5 days but I managed to loose an extra 3lbs in the process and my end of cut photos looked ripped.

I didn't last of course. :(

All the best!

9. Reno_1ted

Thanks for the comments guys. I have this all in perspective. :)

Next week will be tough as I tie things up at work ready for a week off. But hopefully i will eat clean and get a couple of sessions in.

Last night I had to really push not to eat crap. It seems as usual when I dont train, my diet goes to shit, weird thing really. It seems I need to do one to get the other, diet and training need to be together, if one falls, the other falls, or at least makes me want it to fall. Its like they fuel and motivate each other. Anyway, my resolve held off, which is cool. :nope:

This morning, weigh in was 11 stone 7.5 lbs. Again. It seems that even 2.5 days of starvation isnt enough to get past this weight. I did drop to 11 stone 7.25lbs when i wasnt eating, but I dont count that, as it was food weight. Starvation isnt the answer kids, remember that.

To be fair, even if i just maintain what I have now, I would be happy enough. I feel pretty cut at the moment. A clean weekend this weekend will be well tough, because I know me, and my brain will be saying "It wont matter, your there now, your going next week anyway" etc etc, plus the problem i mentioned before of not training. I need to have one last pull, one last push to get through this weekend, and I will be on the home straight.

Off to see Dream Theatre tonight. I am driving, so no booze. Should be a cool gig anyway.

Have a good friday !

10. Reno_1ted

Good weekend, could have been a bit better, I ate a fair bit yesterday. We drove out to a really good pub for some food, so had a big meal and a couple of drinks, but nothing to worry about, certainly I got a heck of a lot of sleep and resisted getting pissed, which is always a bonus.

Probably a bit of bloat to get out this week, but all in all, I think I have done ok.

So 4 days left, and work is going to be taking up a lot of time, but I should be able to get some last minute sessions in this week. I fancy arms tonight, probably get an abs session in at some point as well. With all I have to do these next 4 days, I will keep the carbs up in the day, but will avoid in the evening.

I cant wait for my holiday. :tucool:

11. Reno_1ted

3 days left.

Ended up doing a "jack of all trades" workout last night, as i bumped into a lad I know who trains upper body and lower body, and was doing upper body. So did lat pulldowns, decline bench, BB curls, tricep cable pushdowns, bent over BB rows, face pulls. Was a good workout, probably what i needed this week. I wont be able to go tonight, because I will be working late then have a quiz with a team from work that i need to attend. There will be free buffett food there, god damn this late in the day temptation. I will see whats on the there, and weigh it up. Usually the problem isnt what I eat at these things, its the amount I eat, because its all just there in front of me. Damn you buffett!!!!!!!

Otherwise, food has been spot on. :nod:

I got all my clothes out last night, did some washing and drying, and my other pair of Tapout shorts arrived this morning, which are equally as jazzy and cool as the others. I also hit the sunbed (tanning booth) after the gym session, dont usually use them but want to have a base before I go away, as we got so little sunshine in the UK this summer, I am like a human milk bottle. My legs are like "Ching Ching, 2 pints please milkman." :lol:

All in all though, I think I will be happy with how I look going away. I cant wait to hit a beer poolside and kick back and all this hard work (and at times it has been hard) be worthwhile.

Knowing my missus, I expect she will take loads of pictures as she loves to take pics for facebook (hence the need to look good with 100's of friends and family seeing them !). So will pick out a few and post here. I should also really take some formal pre holiday pics, which I will do if I get time. The next few days should be very busy.

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I finally had to google, because I was curious.

Are they these ones? :whistle:

[​IMG]

Because those are the jazziest. :nod:

I hope you also bought the matching complement for your girlfriend:
    [​IMG]

13. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

For his gf? I think it would look stunning on him. :nod:

14. Reno_1ted

I do have the pecs for it, I must admit. I think I could pull that outfit off ;)

Lisa, no, sorry to disappoint but it isnt those shorts. I think if i wore those, the pool might make them a little see through. :eek:

For the sake of clarity girls, these are the shorts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In other news, I woke up to a new low weight this morning of.... 11 stone 7.25lbs ! Wow, I lost a 1/4 lbs. Maybe I farted before I stood on the scales? At least it hasnt gone up anyway.

So today will be my last day to hit the gym, which I should be able to do. I think I will again do a jack of all trades type workout. Tomorrow is my last day of work (thank god), and I will need to pack etc. We fly out 7am Friday, meaning I have to be up 4am to get to the airport etc. Nice !!

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:cool:
    :lol:

Have you tried holding your breath? My husband is convinced it makes him lighter, but I can't figure out the physics of that one. :confused:

16. Reno_1ted

So this morning is my last morning before the holiday and, guess what, I weighed in at 11 stone 6lbs !!!!! :D 1.25lbs gone since yesterday, fatloss is a funny thing. Nothing for ages, then boom.

So feeling trim, I decided to get some before pics, only to discover the batteries had gone on my camera, and I didnt have time then before leaving for work to get my GF's camera. :( Oh well, I am sure some natural setting action pool shots will suffice. Think I can hit a back double bi poolside and get away with it? :p

I suppose as this is it, T - 1 day, I should take some time to reflect, but honestly, looking back doesnt really work for me. Its been tough, Ive had illness, battled with the booze and fought the Pizza of death many weekends over. I havent been strict, but, I have been more strict then usual, I have played with Carbs and didnt get burned, I have worked very hard in the gym, and hit a few cardio sessions as well. I have taken myself down to 30.5 inch waist, probably 9-9.5% BF, 160 lbs, and beaten several PB's in the gym. And now i am going to fly out to a hot sunny spanish Island with my other half and do what the fuck I like for 7 days.

Miss me. :cool:

17. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Hope you're having a great holiday.

18. Reno_1ted

HELLO !

Well, my holiday actually ended over a week ago, but I havent had chance to really post until now because I have been settling back into things, and catching up at work etc all of last week.

The holiday was superb, very relaxing, great weather, excellent food and drink, and a wonderful hotel. I am not sure I could do the inclusive resort thing for longer then the 7 days we did, because it is a bit repetative after a while, but for 7 days, it was perfect. I can assure you I ate whatever and whenever, drank lots of ice cold beer, and I think the only saving grace was the walking we did, as the island we stayed on is basically a volcano, meaning from the sea starts a hill that doesnt ever really end. To get from the sea level part of the hotel, to the main entrace and lobby was up 7 floors, so it was a heck of a trek from one to the other. Kept me trim though.

Speaking of which, i can say 100% that I was truely happy with how I looked this holiday. I felt and looked lean, healthy, and like I lift weights on a regular basis. All the hard work was worth it, and I felt really really good and super happy.

I also felt amazed at the number of people out of shape there. Now, it is a slightly odd group to assess, given that it was a mainly older crowd, and also the type of person looking for 1-2 weeks of nothing but eating, but even still, I did feel kind of like the odd one out in a way. Its hard to explain. I dont want it to sound arrogant, but I think because I had worked so hard, I was kind of checking out physiques more, and it really hit home how out of shape most people are. I am inspired by the older dudes on these forums who are in shape, because it seems at a certain age, it becomes less important to look after yourself. And it seems with every passing year, that age gets younger. Or am I just getting older?

I will get some pics up when I have time, there is one of me and my other half outside the hotel, which I am really pleased with (she made a lot of effort to cut pre holiday as well, and did very well).

So whats next? I dont know. I have a few options, I could bulk a bit, maintain a bit? In the last 2 weeks, I have done nothing and eaten a lot of shit, as of today, I will go back to eating clean, but have no intention of eating low carbs again at this time.

Ideally I would like to just relax the diet a bit, keep hitting the gym each week and maintain. However, like so so many on JSF, i seem to be better with a goal. I have some work to do on the house again which I have started, and the temptation is again to relax the gym, and focus on that. However, when I did that last year, it was when I lost my "he lifts weights" look and gained the 35'' waist. I dont really want to take myself back there.

I will mull it over this week, while hitting the gym, and take it from there.

Good to be back anyway, pics to follow. Thanks for all your support in getting me to my goal. :tu:

19. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Ain't it grand when all that hard work pays off? :tu:
    Based on my travels through Europe, I think it's way worse here in the US. Going to a beach, pool or water park is for the most part not a visually appealing site. And the number of overweight teens here is alarming.
    I agree about having a goal. You seem to have the same mental makeup as me, and when I have a goal, I am more in control and my body looks better.. When there's no goal, it's too easy for crap to sneak back into the diet. I think it's a good time for a nice slow bulk. You've cut down, had a recovery period, and the winter is a great time to have more carbs and add muscle. Follow that up with a slow cut in the Spring and you are ready for the two days of sunny weather in the British summer. :nod:

20. Reno_1ted

K3, yeah, its probably an issue developed world wide. Although a lady in my team at work just got back from Disneyland and said nearly everyone was getting about the park on mobility scooters, young and old!!! :eek::eek: I read the same thing on T-Nation recently to, so was weird to hear it first hand.

I was thinking slow bulk, but honestly, I dont know if I am ready for pushing myself right now, I have a lot coming up with work, trips away, gigs, then xmas and new year before you know it. I dont make excuses, but I am realistic. I really fancy a bulk, really hitting it with a dedication and diet and suppliment plan that will see gains to a new level, but for that I want to really invest the time and energy to give it my all. I feel by the time I get up to my old PB's from pre holiday, probably a couple weeks, and with the disruption I will have etc, it wont be possible to make the gains I want to make, and what will happen is the extra food I eat will go to the waist. If i bulk I want to keep fat down, and that will mean more workouts and more time.

What I am leaning towards is keeping the diet clean during the week, but with evening carbs as part of just a standard, decent meal (pasta, potatoes, rice etc). Hit the gym a few times a week and keep my strength up and the BF down, so I dont start from square one, and then come the new year, design a diet and program during the holidays and then hit a vicious bulk in the new year. 3 months or so of that, then switch to a cut for a couple of months, then enjoy the summer.

I am thinking out loud here more then anything. Apologies readers for the ramble. This place does help me get my shit together in my head.

:lol::lol: Be glad you dont have to live with it !!