1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Return - Reno's comback Trail.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Reno_1ted, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Well, today is a special day, because it marks the first day of being well and truely back on the fitness wagon. If anyone actually reads this, and if anyone reading knows my username, they will know i have been around the forums for a good few years, and have enjoyed a great transformation, and embarked on many cuts and bulks over the years. My thinking is always life comes first, and so i never beat myself up over a cheat meal here and there, and the odd night out drinking, but by and large i am strict with what i eat, make concious and informed healthy choices at weekends, and try not to do too much damage of a saturday night (this is usually easier said then done!).

3 months ago i bought a house, which, in the current climate, is pretty good going. It needed a lot of decorating and re-working, and being of the mentallity that i am, i threw myself into this 100%, literally getting up, going to work, coming home, working on the house, going to bed. Whereas most people would do things a step at a time, god did not give me the patience nor the ability to not finish something which i start, as soon as is humanly possible. I dedicated my life to it and now, short of a few minor jobs, the house is done, beautiful, and i am very proud to be owning my own place.

The upshot is that for the first time in 5 years of training, i had more then 4 weeks off. I did NO training at all, i havent stepped into a gym in those 3 months, and the less said about my diet the better. Takeaways, sweets, candy, deserts, more takeaways, convenience food etc etc took over my life. While the gym missing was acceptable to me, really, there is no excuse for the poor diet i have had. None at all. My training went, and therefore, my diet decided to follow.

Ah well, whats done is done.

So i set myself the date of November 1st to get the house done and in the words of Aerosmith, get back on the saddle. So thats what i am doing now. My freezer is stocked, my meals are planned, my mind is ready, and i know what i need to do. Nothing i havent done before.

So here it is, the comeback trial Day 1.

Wish me luck.

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

People like us never seem to drift too far from the fitness bandwagon. We drift off the beaten path a bit, but we know that eventually, before too much damage is done, we will find our way back. If you're anything like me, you'll see a little progress in the next week or two and it'll be more than enough to launch you back into dieting and exercise with a vengeance.

Welcome back, buddy. I'll be watchin'.

-R

3. Reno_1ted

Well, day 1 of this journey is over and done with, and i got through it 100%.

Getting up while it was dark, and driving in the cold to the gym for a cardio session wasnt easy, nor was it fun, but i guess thats what sets apart the men from the boys. I did it, and thats what matters. I only managed 20 mins LISS, but thats what i planned on doing, and today my legs are sore from it, so probably best i didnt do any more. This week and next is all about routine and finding my feet. Where am I at? What effect has this lay off had?

The evening was spent back in the gym, and it felt good. Just being back amoungst the iron made a big impact, and though my lifts were less then stellar and, if i am honest, even though i aimed to lift light, it was still pretty tough, it was just good to be back where i belong. I missed it.

I trained back, with light deads to start (man, i can see a long haul to get back to where i was on those), then rows, pulldowns, close pulldowns and shrugs. Got some early DOMS already.

Food wise, i was spot on. I feel my body craving sugar and junk. I trust this will pass in a week or so. Its such an addiction, you dont even realise. Last night was tough, but some mandarines from a tin did the trick, and i made it through to bed, where i slept like a baby.

I am trying a new suppliment, which is a creatine/dex mix to aid energy transport. Its orange flavour, and tastes pretty good. I will run it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Tonight i have to take some clients to a football match (soccer for the US amoung us). This could be an early stumble because i am the only person from our firm going, and it is a set meal. I guess if i avoid desert and try and make the right choices, thats all i can do. I cannot whip out the fish and veggies in the middle of a formal pre match dinner. Nor can i avoid eating. Tune in tomorrow to see how that goes. Also means no gym tonight, but meeting my training buddy Wed and thursday, and planning CV again in the morning, so fingers crossed.

In the words of James Brown, i feel good. However, i also feel pretty tired.

The first week is always the toughest. I dont sweat it.

4. Reno_1ted

Cheers my man, good to be back! The class of '04 seems to have dwindled a bit these last few years, gotta keep flying the flag and showing the new blood how we roll !

Good to hear from you again. Do you still blog here?

***reminder to self, must pay JSF subscription again!****

5. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Good to see you back Reno! Certainly sounds like a good reason to have taken some time off! Life dictates different priorities to us at different times and it sounds like you have made good decisions to make a good investment and now that it is complete to make the decision to re-work your fitness on the priority list. :tu:

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

6. Reno_1ted

Cheap Tuna. Cheap ass, horrible tuna.

The week before i started this (which would be last week come to think of it), i went to Bookers (kinda like a wholesale costco for the catering trade) and stocked up on food. I found Tuna for like 30p per tin, "Awesome" i thought, "Ill take 24 tins". I now know why its 30p per tin. Normal tuna is meaty and flaky and dry. This is wet mush. I cant help but think with each spoonful, is this eyeballs and gills in this?

Still, its 23g of protien, whatever it is. Note to self though. Dont skimp on Tuna.

So i went to watch Liverpool FC play "soccer" last night, took 2 clients for the first time for work, which was cool. Its nice to be trusted with these things, and driving the companies brand spanking new 2008 Merc was a nice added twist.

So, i hear you ask, what was the outcome of the meal. Well, i turned down a desert having eaten a pork salad and some meat and veggies with potatoes. The clients went off to get their desert, and came back and with them they had bought me a cake "in case i changed my mind".

I caved. :(

Day 2, and i have slipped up. Hey, i wont beat myself up over it. The feeling i had when i finished it was not pleasant, and i think this is a lesson i needed to re-learn, and in a way i am glad it was so early on. Today work has supplied cakes for the staff and i am not tempted, because i know i will feel down about it afterwards. So lesson learned, if you fall, you learn from it, take from it, pick yo self up n get back goin !!

Man this Tuna tastes bad.

Following my cake evening, i ensured i got up and hit the gym for Morning CV. It was tough again, but easier then Monday. I will aim to go again, nay, i WILL go again Friday. Mon, Wed Fri morning CV works well for me, giving me the other days to get an extra hours sleep. I need my sleep. Weights again tonight, and my workout partner has cancelled, so for the first time in three months its just me and the iron. I cant wait !!!! :spaz: I love working out alone, and pushing myself by myself, and so this will prove to be a great evening. I am looking forward to it. Shoulders here i come.

Must remember to take it easy though. The next 2 weeks are warm ups, the next 2 weeks are warm ups, the next 2 weeks.....

Laters peeps.

7. Reno_1ted

Thanks bud. Aye, i know 100% it was the right decision. And i am 100% ready to hit this and get back to my best. Thanks for the support, and for checking in ! Good to see the Old School coming out ! :)

8. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Good to see you back. Your progress was among the best on this forum and you're totally dedicated, so aside from putting in the effort you know where this road will lead you. Congratulations on the house. That's a great feeling on the one hand and a whole new set of hassles on the other, but it's totally worth it. :nod:

#8 k3vb0, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  9. Reno_1ted

Well, will have to be a quick update today because the forums were down and i have to get back to work shortly. Lunch time is never long enough (especially when its chowing down cheap ass minced tuna eyes).

Got everything right yesterday, the soccer pudding has got me nailed right onto it. Trained shoulders last night, which hurt. I felt good afterwards. No gym scheduled this morning, but tomorrow i will be up with the lark and down the gym weary eyed but determined.

Saturday is a friends birthday and will involve drinks and food. I need to ensure that while i am going to have fun, i make the best choices i can, and dont let it wipe out the week that follows. I dont mind cheating on a saturday if something comes up like this, but what i cant let happen, which i usually do, is let it write off my whole week thereafter.

More on this and more tomorrow.

10. Reno_1ted

Thanks !

Aye, owning my own house is a great feeling, also looking back on all the work i have done and what i have acheived in the last 3 months is just the best feeling ever. Its the bills i dislike ! :lol:

Thanks for stopping by!

11. Reno_1ted

Today is a great day. I found a tin of decent tuna in the back of the cupboard, and so my lunch today was like a cheat meal. I have mixed emotions though, because i know its prolonged the day that i finish the shit tuna. Ah well, its the little things in life. Stopped me having the bacon sandwich i used to have every friday mid morning. The whole of work orders from the cafe down the road on a friday. Was tough watching them chow a fried food sandwich while i ate cottage cheese. The world of fitness is a cruel one. But i feel better for it. Every challege that i overcome makes me stronger. Its like star wars. Kill me and i will become more powerful then you could possibly imagine.

Yesterday i worked legs, and i went so light i could have been mistaken for a small girl. Im glad i checked my ego in at the door when i started back at the gym, as i doubt it would have withstood the beating. I know i can lift more, but i want to ease back into this, especially with legs, as leg DOMS is always bad just from looking at the squat rack.

So i went the gym, got through it, it was ok. Looking forward to ramping the weights up a notch next week, then starting to really push myself the week after that.

I also got up and made morning cardio. I have found placing my alarm on the other side of the bedroom is a great tactic. Never tried it before, but the temptation to fall back asleep is much less when i am vertical. 3 from 3 morning session in week 1. Ill take that. Worked 10 mins CV and then 15 mins abs. Nice. Gym again tonight for light chest, and a swim, spa and steam.

This weekend i have already started to reduce the damage i spoke about in previous posts. The plan is to hit Manchester (a local city) about midday, eat, then watch the England Rugby match at a sports bar, then back to an apartment we rented, eat again, then back into town for a gig (Airbourne for anyone into rock and interested), then a night out on the town. I have opted to drive for the afternoon section, which means i wont be drinking, this is a good move by me. I will then have some beers during and after the gig. Hey, it isnt perfect, but its a good step towards damage limitation, and for me, thats good enough. So long as i pick my ass up Monday morning, i am all gravy.

I wont be checking back in till Monday, ill keep you posted on how it goes. :)

Laters have fun !

12. Reno_1ted

Well, that was a weekend and a half.

What a superb day and night Saturday was. We hit this awesome Brazilian meat resturant, the concept of which was that you help yourself to the side dishes, and the chef / man on the grill brings to your table one type of meat after another, cuts you off a portion, which you eat, and then comes back again, and again, with all sorts of great meats. Chicken, sweet sticky beef, salted beef, garlic and rosemary lamb, beef rack of ribs, pork ribs, chicken wrapped in bacon. Man, it was a veritable feast. By the end, i simply could not move. Protien overload. Hey, at least it was all grilled. :lol:

After that, we watched England walk to victory over the Pacific Islands. I think the new coach is doing well. Some good new players.

We then hit the town, and painted it so red that the rest of the rainbow fell out with us. I consumed a frankly ridiculous amount of booze, and have the headache 2 days later to prove it.

Suffice to say, my diet deserted me, but, it was a much needed blow out, and i wouldnt change it for the world. Fitness and training isnt my life, it is a part of my life, and the important thing to me is and always will be ensuring that i make progress from one week to the next. Im not going to sweat it if something slows that progress, so long as i dont let it mean a backward step. So this week, i have to ensure i hit it like i did last week, and then its all good. What a weekend. :)

So, as planned, no gym this morning, but i will still get my three sessions in for the AM. Tonight marks the start of week 2 of the gym comeback, and i will be hitting back again for the 2nd time. This week will see a continuation of last weeks warm up, play it safe attitude. Next week, although i wont start throwing out PB's, i will up the weight considerably and start to really push myself.

I am not doing direct arm work at this stage, they will get enough of the compound stuff for now. That may change next week.

Catch you tomorrow. Train hard !

13. Reno_1ted

Yesterday was 100% back on track. My back workout was actually very good, i can feel myself getting back into the rhythm. My back today is pretty sore already. I am really looking forward to the gym again tonight.

I also got my ass out of bed for the first CV session of the week. After the cardio, i stretched out my back and man, have i lost flexibility! I really need to work on that, ive never been a Jean Claude Van Damme like, but i couldnt even roll my legs over my head. I used to be able to do that fairly easily.

Johns update was interesting yesterday. You sometimes have to pinch yourself to remember he isnt a professional body builder. The guys dedication is second to none. Personally, i would hit the work event, but thats me. I dont mind a late night, i can usually struggle through and catch back up. But i cant do it like i used to, and i guess with age thats only going to get harder. I cant relate to the all or nothing thing, but thats me, and its probably because i do not have the will power to do it, if i am honest. What works for me works. In the past all or nothing has led to more nothings then all's, and i know that now. Better to acheive something at a slower rate then nothing at all. So long as you make the destination, thats all that matters. At least to me. Not that i think i will ever reach Johns destination. His physique will look awesome after this next cut. :tu:

Speaking of work events...

Next Monday and Tuesday i have a training course, and i plan on bringing some meals with me, but the lunch is free and at a great little restuarant, so fuck it, i aint turning down a free lunch. My challenge is to eat something decent.

I think i am done with the cheap tuna. I am just dreading lunch every day because its so bad, and the only reason i am sticking it out is because its cheap and hey, i just bought 24 cans of the stuff. Oh well. I will grab some more decent stuff later.

Someone at work is eating spagetti hoops from a tin, on toast. It smells great. Its weird what you crave when you are dieting.

Till tomorrow.

14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:wave:

Nice to see you here again. Always a pleasure to read your journal. :)

What's with the cheap tuna?

Is it light instead of white, is that the problem? I know albacore is more mild tasting, and if that's what you're used to then, the skipjack might taste kind of nasty. But there's less mercury in the light, so I include both of them in my diet.

Have you tried mixing it with salsa, or a nice rich tomato sauce with black olives. :drool:

15. Reno_1ted

Today is not the best of days. I didnt plan the gym this morning and therefore today was my extra sleep day, so i stayed up to watch a 2 hour documentary on the Thriller in Mannila, which was awesome, but didnt get to bed till 12. I therefore slept in much longer then i planned, and as a result, didnt get my shit together this morning AT ALL. So i missed meal 2 of the day, and had to improvise meal 3. Fortunately, it isnt a gym day today, so if i was going to royally screw up, this is the day to do it.

If i hadnt been so hungover Sunday, I would have prepped my pasta etc then, so this wouldnt be an issue. Its the things you dont think about when you say a saturday night on the tiles wont effect my week... ah well.

On a positive note, the chest workout last night was excellent. I think my strength will come back pretty quickly, and it was nice to feel that feeling of progress, even though i am a far cry from my best. I am looking forward to my next workout, although i am glad i am off today, as my body needs the break.

I need to get some new clothes. I think that will be my focus or xmas presents. Ive spent so much money and time on the house, i kind of neglected myself in ways other then just fitness and diet. I also need a haircut. Im going to book one in this weekend.

More paiting on the house tonight. I havent done any for a while and this is the last job and its bugging me. So i am going to get it boxed off this week and weekend.

Gym tomorrow morning. Best get an early night.

16. Reno_1ted

:wave:

Hi, nice to see you to. :)

Seriously, this tuna is bad. It isnt just a different kind of tuna, its just really really horrible. No matter how much you drain it, its still mush. Its not like flakes, its like someone has put all the gills, guts and eyes in a blender with some cheap cuts of fish and minced it all into a pulp and canned it.

I can eat most things and get used to it. But it seems 30p tins of tuna is my match. :nope:

17. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

I had Sainsbury's own brand tuna for about 2 days and that stuff was the worst thing I've ever eaten. Sounds like the same stuff you've had... :confused:

18. Reno_1ted

My shoulders are a little sore today, i think from the chest session the other day, and also i did 4 hours of painting last night, which probably made them worse then they would have been. Its a shame, as i was really up for a shoulders session tonight. I will warm them up at the gym tonight, see if the loosen off, and if not, i will hit legs.

I am liking the DOMS feeling. When you train regular, you forget how badass the DOMS of doom can be. My chest hurt to the touch yesterday, and my back wasnt far behind. :cool:

I got up for the gym today, hit the crosstrainer for a bit (what do you US peeps call those again, an Eliptical?). I then did an Abs circuit, which i did last week and intend to do every week, building as time goes on.

I struggle with long term cardio. Even with the TV in front of me, i lose interest and start clock watching after like 5 mins. I wonder if this is boredom or being unfit. I have never enjoyed cardio. I much preferred the Abs session. I might scope out the web for a 30 mins cardio circuit. I think lots of different things would be better for me personally then 30 mins on one thing. Speaking of which, i need to up my CV to 30 mins next week.

Plan to get up again tomorrow morning, making it another 3/3 and will hit the gym for final weights session on Saturday.

Steak for tea tonight. Woo hoo. More painting after that as well. Not so Woo Hoo.

I missed Heros last night, but i recorded it. I am liking the new series.

Well, enough random ramblings, here is to a good gym session for all this evening, and i will catch you tomorrow.

19. Reno_1ted

Aye, i have had that before now, it isnt the best. Got to be Princess or John West from now on.

Seriously, this stuff was appalling. I got it from Bookers Cash & Carry, at £3.50 for 12 tins. The brand name is "Euroshopper". Which i think says it all ! :p

20. Reno_1ted

I am now a member of JSF again. Well worth the $25. Thanks John for all you do and have done.

Now, lets see whats going on downstairs....

Laters.