1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Quest for the Seven Feathers

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by aBodyInProgress, Feb 10, 2013.

1. aBodyInProgress

QSF : 2/10/13 : Week 1 : T-252

Forty minutes ago it became Sunday, February 10th, 2013, and therefore it is officially time to begin "The Quest for the Seven Feathers", a new chapter in the life of "A Body in Progress".

What began in January of 2011 as a basic pursuit of better health and fitness soon became more specifically a goal of entering a bodybuilding competition. Since March of 2011, when I made that decision public and selected the High Desert Classic (Bend, OR) of 2012 as my goal, it has been an interesting journey: I have met very helpful and encouraging trainers and bodybuilders, I have earned a net loss of thirty pounds, I look and feel a whole lot better.

And also since March of 2011, I have twice missed my goal of entering a competition. I was far from ready to enter the High Desert Classic by May of 2012, and only slightly closer to adequate by the time I passed over the Seven Feathers Classic (Canyonville, OR) in October of 2012.

I technically had a third goal of trying once again for the High Desert Classic of 2013, but after its supervising organization, the NPC, adjusted the calendar of other regional and national competitions, founder Bill Haynes was left with no option but to cancel it for this year.

So now I have turned once again to the Seven Feathers Classic, scheduled for October 19th of 2013. Today begins the 36-week countdown, which I chose as the starting benchmark in keeping with the apparently common practice among bodybuilders to break their training phases down into twelve-week blocks.

I could say more, but it's late and I need to shower and get to bed. I'm sure I will ramble on to excess in the days ahead anyway, so you'll easily catch up on anything you miss or don't understand.

Here goes! Again!

2. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

Cool. Looking forward to your journey.

3. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Preparing for bodybuilding competitions seems incredibly intense, but at the same time, it has to be a very motivating goal. Good luck in making it this time!:tu:

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Training for a show?? That's very cool. Good luck! :tucool:

5. aBodyInProgress

Well, it's the goal and hope. At the very worst, I'll be in better shape for having tried.

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

That's a great goal. Here is a good org you can look into:

http://thenaturalmusclenetwork.com/

Also, the NGA and INBF are also great orgs.

NPC shows are usually non tested shows. If you are not "using" you are going up against guys that are. The judges favor the "used" look.

I've only competed in one NPC show. East Coast Championship. I took second place in 2002 at the Tri Beca Center as a natural. I have never, nor do recommend, a natural bodybuilder who is not on andro, steroids, prescription fat burners, to compete in a non-tested show. I don't know where you are, but I hope I have shed some light on the subject. Good luck...

7. aBodyInProgress

My first competition is entirely personal: I just want to attain a physique that I am proud to take on a stage. That, for me, will be the prize; so in that respect, I have not a care if I'm up against steroid users and I come in dead last.

If I enjoy the experience enough to pursue more competitions with the goal of winning one of THEIR prizes, then I will certainly make sure I am up against other naturals, in a competition that requires them to prove it via testing.

I will certainly, however, tuck that web address away for the future - Thank you! I looked through the calendar of events they track and the only one reasonably close to me is in June, which I wouldn't be ready for at all.