1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Prowler

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Pete5, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

The Prowler arrived this afternoon. I ended up pushing this thing for two trips up and down our driveway (fairly steep) using the poles and I also tryed some forward and backward sled drags. I haven't tryed the infamous "bucket push" yet because I think it would aggravate my back due to the injury I sustained Wednesday.

Attached Files:

#1 Pete5, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. new_grounds

new_grounds Active Member

lucky! What was your impression of it? Is it as hard as it looks? Got any specific routines for it?

3. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

It took almost half a year of savings to buy that.

*It weighs 75 pounds without weight.
    *It's drag resisted so if you start slowing down you're screwed.
    *I'm in pretty good shape from sprinting at track practice. I didn't puke or anything but I was only messing around/trying things out. I did get pretty out of breath on everything and it really got my heart rate up. I'm going to try the "Prowler Challenge" pretty soon and I think that will definitely be a good time to get an accurate assessment of the difficulty of it. By the way, it was 50 degrees outside for what it's worth. In summer I'm sure it would be a damn lot harder.
    *Easy to add weight, assemble, and break down.
    *The "bucket push" got it's name because it supposedly makes you puke. I've yet to try that but I may give it a shot on Sunday.

As far as routines, this is how DeFranco implements it.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=56596&tid=
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=61885&tid=
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=56610&tid=
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=55261&tid=

#3 Pete5, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  4. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks for posting this Pete!

I've been thinking about buying a Prowler for a while now. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you post any more after using it for a while. :) Good luck with it!

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

"Don't puke in the gym!"

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Looks brutal! Have fun! :evil:

What are the main reasons it's better than just finding random heavy stuff to push/pull/lift? Because you can control the exact amount of weight, or because of the positioning of handles and such?

This girl pushes Smart Cars around, makes her own medicine balls, and carries concrete blocks from one place to another.

7. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I'll let you know how things go.
    Benefits:

*You can control the amount of additional weight.
    *You can control the amount of leverage you have by positioning your hands at different heights on the poles. Same goes for the two horizontal options.
    *With a car, once you overcome inertia the car will be much easier to push because the tires will roll. The Prowler is consistently tough the whole time you're pushing it.
    *Like a sled, with a lot more options.
    *Allows for outside training. It's a nice change-up to conventional weight/strength training.
    *People stare as they drive by.
    *Stronger hips, posterior chain, quads, pretty much everything.
    *Improves cardiovascular system and conditioning level.
    *Strengthens the ankles. Great for rehabbing shin splints as I quickly came to realize yesterday.
    *Allows me to train lower body while having a strained back.
    *There are a ton of different exercises you can do with it. To name just a few.

I keep thinking of more.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=42245&tid=111
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=42246&tid=111
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=42317&tid=111
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=42244&tid=111

#7 Pete5, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  8. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Today I did two trips (50 yards each) with 95 pounds of additional weight (170 total) on the poles. I then did six trips with twenty pounds of additional weight (95 total) on the horizontal handle. My driveway is fairly steep which makes the down-hill seem like a vacation compared to the up-hill. It was only 65 degrees outside but The Prowler seems as hard as it is hyped up to be.

Ten minutes later I did two trips of backward sled dragging with 305 pounds total.

The toughest part is getting enough speed to overcome poor traction on the uphill.

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I know you're a teenager but remember you have to recover and rest after this sort of stuff. Dragging 305# up a slope is just one reason this Prowler workout is not just GPP that you can do every day.

10. new_grounds

that's very good advice. i think they recommend sled pulling 2-3 times a week or to be used as recovery tool after leg days

11. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

How would you guys recommed I implement sled drags and prowler pushes into Westside for Skinny Bastards?

Two to three days a week would be optimal.

12. new_grounds

check your pm's, i sent a few links to some sample sled pulling routines.

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Have you tried this in the grass? I keep trying to figure out a way I could use one of these. Not sure I'd want to tear up my yard, but I could leave it in the truck and haul it down to the community area and tear up the neighborhood grass by the generally unused sand volleyball court. :evil:

14. new_grounds

15. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

:claplow: so cool!

16. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Up2u0qQLUz4
    My dad doesn't really want the yard ripped up although the driveway has already started turning shades of brown/orange from the scraping.

17. Themadstork

Themadstork Active Member

While I don 't want the yard plowed, I kind of like the rust streaks on the driveway--makes it look broken-in. Kind of like shin scrapes from the knurling when doing deadlifts.

I am finding that it is not an exaggeration how difficult The Prowler is. If you load it up to your potential and go slow it's exhausting, but then so is running it lighter and sprinting with it. I tried it again this weekend and I honestly don't think I was fully recovered from the previous weekend when I pushed it 3 days in a row, as I didn't do as well. The Prowler has definitely kicked my butt. I haven't vomited, but that's only because I either run out of breath or my quads give out before I can get to that point.

People do look at us a bit funny when they drive by. While I suspect they can understand a 16 year old doing that, I don't think they can comprehend a guy nearing senior citizen status shoving/dragging this thing up and down his driveway without being forced at gunpoint.

18. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I really like the rowing options available on the Prowler. Last week I did some rows with the sled strap alternating the lead hand. Tonight, I used the low handles for rowing.

19. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Speed/Endurance training session today. When I say endurance, you should not confuse it with LSD (Long Slow Distance)

Medley training:

50 yard Prowler sprints
    Thick handled (towel-grip) 80 pound dumbbell farmer walks (50 yards)
    40 pound Sandbag clean and jerks for eight reps

Four circuits of all of this with the poles and four circuits with the low handles.

Easily the toughest speed endurance training session I've ever done. This makes track practice seem like a breeze (besides the crippling shin splints). Shin splints due to sprinting have been killing me for a month and a half, so I'm looking towards alternate training methods and really cutting down on sprinting volume. I'll be training similar to this now instead of the conventional sprinting work-out usually done at track practice. I'd still like to work in some acceleration training out of the blocks (30-40 meters) a day or two a week. Setting up and exploding out of the blocks has been a huge weakness for me. This is partly due to my mechanics and technique being way off. I've been doing so many things wrong this season in terms of the intricacies of sprinting but I'm definitely learning - mostly thanks to Complete Speed Training's informative videos and breakdowns.

The Prowler is for real. This thing kicked my butt today.

#19 Pete5, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  20. fullpen

fullpen Active Member

i like the looks of this!

i'm glad i can make it rather than pay for it. heck, i should probably fab up an extra and post it on my local craigslist.