1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Post-Workout "Amped" Metabolism....Not..

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by HevyMetal, Dec 4, 2011.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

The net abounds with the proposition that for weight loss you need to to keep your metabolism ramped up after a workout so that you will 'burn off' those nasty little fat calories faster.

You accomplish this , supposedly, by doing such things as HIIT.

However it is muscle mass that burns those extra calories...not just the fact that you are 'amped'..(also known as 'idling'...in another thread).

So.....you need to increase musclemass. Accomplished through a weight resistance program of a kind.

But......intense long lifting sessions and HIIT both produce Cortisol....which if left unchecked is counterproductive to muscle growth and noticably moreso the older you get.

The more lean musclemass you have the more you will burn calories at rest regardless of whether you are "amped" or not. If you don't have much muscle mass but you have lots of bodyfat....you are "amped" for nothing except to prolong the stress-related co-efficients which are doing you no good as far as optimal muscle building results go.Depending on how you lift/exercise, the more 'amped' you will be after working out and by-and -large the "amp" will be counterproductive from a stressor point-of-view.

In my opinion, immediately post workout, one needs to do something like meditation in order to lower the post workout stress response as quickly as possible.

I also think that going to bed "jacked and ramped" is counterproductive.

Just before bed I do stretching and some Yoga as well as meditation.
    I want my metabolism as slow as possible when I sleep.
    I will sleep deeper, better, and wake up refreshed.
    If I am "amped" during my sleep, the stressors are still in effect which are counterproductive to muscle growth.

'Amped' is good when you are lifting......but IMO you need to turn it off or lessen it right away after that for optimal results.
    Less stress equals a better CNS..and the better shape your CNS is in the better your glandular/hormone responses for growth will be.
    Just my two cents worth........:)

(And on the flip side of the coin....if you are one of these people that is a high-strung, fidgety, can't-sit-still-for-a minute,"hardgainer" with a normal metabolic rate equal to a sparrow.....you do not want to be "amped" at all. You want the exact opposite for best results regarding the acquisition of musclemass.).

#1 HevyMetal, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

The amount of calorie burned by muscles at rest is very low. If you're counting on that handful of calories it's going to take a long time to drop the fat.

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Truth.

Somewhere around 5 more calories daily for a pound of muscle. So if you add 20 pounds of muscle, you can have another banana. :lol:

Of course, you would likely drop a decent amount of fat working to add those twenty pounds if your nutrition plan is reasonably good.

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I think Hevy is referring to the EPOC effect though (rather than basal metabolic increase from muscle tissue). However, despite the misgivings expressed in Hevy's post, I've had a lot of success with HIIT, and whenever I want to drop some fat, HIIT has always worked for me.

5. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to the effects of HIIT for weight or calorie loss.

I was, in part, referring to the idea that HIIT and OTHER forms of exercise keeps your metabolism "jacked " for hours and that this is seen by many as a desirable goal.

I'm not anti-HIIT.

I think the " post amp" serves no purpose though, is actually detrimental
    to optimal results and should be consciously lessened if possible.

I am actually referring to the condition of a hyper-excited Central Nervous System.

An excessively over-stimulated CNS can have negative results....as in:- when people "overtrain" and then can't sleep at night etc.

Plus the "amp" after training can be mis-leading...it will give sometimes give a person a feeling of "euphoria" and the illusion that they feel like they have energy galore.
    But often it is "false" energy created by the mega-stimulation of the CNS.
    "Living on nerves" is sometimes the term used.

While all this is going on......negative bio-chemicals are released in the body...ones that are detrimental to positive results. ( The alluded testo-spike not-with-standing).

So IMO you need to be able to de-cellerate the post hyper-drive as best you know how.

#5 HevyMetal, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011