1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Phoenix Chronicles

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Phoenix, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Well I think 32 is not over the hill yet, my back has improved immensely from a good nights sleep. I think 40 is when you start feeling old :p.

It was most likely caused from a form breakdown in my last couple squat reps. Then doing some goodmornings further stressed the area. I will save the 'I am getting old' copout for later down the track. :nod:

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

No apologies here, I am a self confessed foodaholic after-all :D

I looooovveeee seafood :eat:

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 103.4kg

42mins on the Treadmill. I pulled it out of the garage, there maybe a heat wave in Florida but it has been pissing down rain here on the Gold Coast.

I am feeling much better, my back is almost feeling normal again. I thoroughly recommend walking, jogging etc especially up inclines for back pain if I stop cardio for a few weeks then I start getting a bit sore in the lower back has been this way for years.

4. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

I reckon the good mornings would be a massive contributor, dangerous exercise if you ask me.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Yeah I have heard that but good form and low weights how I will do them. As long as the spinal erectors and associated muscles are not overloaded then I have no fear in doing them. No hyperextension at new gym so it is my substitute.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 102.7kg
    -1kg/2.2lb from last week. Nearly 10lb down from the start.

Today I rest, stretch and play with my son.

7. yourmate

yourmate Active Member

congrats - you made it to the news :)

well, I was all right about your recipes - you made it to todays news...
    well done man :)
    this food pictures just killing me - for sure I should not come here any more ;)

not much luck with gyms it seems - I hope the new one will be OK
    btw I have to pay the same amount here for a year's membership - the only problem it's £ and not $ :(

#127 yourmate, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

:lol: Your funny
    Just like the supermarket, eat before you visit here.

Checkout any new gyms by asking if you can have a workout before you decide if you want to join.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 102.5kg

Cardio:
    62min hill jog/walk
    I tackled a hill that I have not done for at least 6 months, a very nasty incline. Handled it ok.

Been a little tired the last couple of days not sure it this is related the the lower back or a keto thing. Will see how the next few days pan out. No workouts planned until either the end of the week or next week going to allow for some extra rest time.

Better add another 32 mins to the days cardio, took the dog for a walk as well as my little fella(who lasted 16mins). I dropped him off and then did the second half with the mutt.
    I also picked up some half price german bratwurst sausages and cheese slices. That's how to end a day off on a good note in my book.

#129 Phoenix, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. yourmate

yourmate Active Member

when you say hill jog/walk you're talking about a treadmill or you actually go out and do the real thing?
    I can do this back home easily, but not in London...

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Most of the time I pound the tarmac, where I live is not too over-developed compared to other suburbs so there are quite a few semi-rural properties and lots of nice scenery. I go up the back roads of my estate, left turn is a longer route with some decent hills to the right is a killer/suicidal hill that has a wicked incline. I tackled that yesterday and it is a hard session it is so steep a slow jog is the best I can manage on the way back. I only jogged about 10m up the worst part on the way back then walked up the rest as it takes that long to recover the oxygen deficit :lol:
    I don't want to go into to much endurance stuff so I am careful not to overdo it about 30mins of actual jogging of the total time is what I aim for the rest is a fast paced walk.

I should get a couple of pics up some nice scenery where I walk.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 101.9kg

Cardio: 63min hill/jog walk.
    Did this in a fasted state and it was hurting at the end but an addictive kind of pain.

Extra cardio before bed was 30mins on the treadmill watching Underworld on the telly to keep me from getting bored.

I got a stiff neck now nothing to bad but funny how these things crop up when you knuckle down and decide you have goals to aim for. Humbug to you, you will not stop me only serve to harden my resolve :bang:

#132 Phoenix, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  13. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

Haha your telling me! always sick or some injury comes up that you have to be careful of :(

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 102.4kg

Cardio: 1hr 10min hill jog/run - very slow pace usually this can be done in 45mins when fitness is up and I jog the whole way.

Ok it is safe to say the dog is now staying home on long and hot cardio sessions normally he gets through them but on the way home a few times I had to slow down to a crawl. Had to break for about 15mins under a big tree as he had, had enough. Poor fella he is getting old so 20mins in the cooler weather is going to be what I will limit him to, I wet him down when we got home after he threw up :barf:
    Last thing I want to do is hurt him in any way, he is 8yrs old so starting to get on.

I really want to get a Ridgeback, I love those dogs but I don't thing I would be allowed too. Read an incredible story about the guy who basically bred them in Africa over a period of time and at least 8 breeds went into creating the modern Ridgeback of today. I have even more respect for them as dogs once I learnt that one man basically poured his life into creating a working dog that was a companion, lion hunter and guardian all in one.
    They have excellent stamina especially in the hot weather. Eventually I will get one. I am having visions of long 1hr runs in 40 degrees C heat with a big Ridgy by my side. Can't get too excited about it as it will be many years off until that happens.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 101.6kg <--- Nice to see it moving the right way sometimes :rolleyes:

Cardio:
    27.5min Hill jog.

I had to use up some more rest of the Kaffir lime leaves I bought so I made a Seafood Red Curry with bamboo and cucumber. I was really, really good :drool:. Pretty hot I ate it 10mins ago and I am still sweating from it.

My niggles and pains have pretty much subsided so it is to the gym tomorrow and I will gauge it from there.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Today's Weight: 101.8kg

Workout:

SQ: 120 x 3 x 3, 130 x 1 negative, x 1(heaviest single I have done just felt like trying)
    BP: 97 x 5, x 4, 95 x 4 last rep was a slow negative on the way down as I knew I could not get a fifth.

That was enough for the session could feel my lower back a tad and although it was not hurting I am happy to do some back work next week to get it back to standard.
    I am focusing on good form on the squat nice hip drive with knees staying out with a nice deep motion, I quite enjoy the slight rebound from top of the calves hitting the hammys and the reason I missed my first try at 130kg was because I set the pins one rung to high and I nearly hit the rebound but the bar stole the momentum from me. People look at me like I am a freak because I do full Ass to grass squats, they feel great so I will keep doing it.

Today was a refeed day not too bad a day no more than 3500cal would have been consumed with a decent amount of carbs.

Cardio: After my omlette and sides settles I will aim for 1hr on the dreadmill. Don't usually do cardio on refeed day but I wanna keep the results coming.

#136 Phoenix, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  17. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

I managed 65mins dreadmill cardio last night.

Today's Weight: 102.3kg

Cardio: 58min hill walk/jog - I walked the uphill portions and jogged the flat and downhill bits.

Anterior delt on the left arm is a bit sore uncomfortable to raise my arm too much so I was careful with it at work today and on my jog I used a sling during the jogging times to take the weight off it. Yay another little injury. All I sum it up to is that shit happens and nothing will stop me. It must have happened from bench press :doh:

I can't believe it will be 4 weeks tomorrow time flys when you are on a caloric deficit and flogging your guts out 6 days a week.

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

gotta love it.... ur kickin ass. :cool: keep it up!

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Hey deja,
    Thanks for stopping by to say hi!
    BTW you back looks awesome :bow:

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

So the 4 week mark is upon me. A month going by avg figures is 4.33 weeks so on Wednesday that will be the 1st monthly figures as well.

Today's Weight: 101.8kg
    5.1kg/11.2lb off in 4 weeks.
    Avg: 1.275kg/2.8lb per week.

Measurements:
    Lower abs: 41 1/8 <--- 1 7/8 inches nearly 2.
    Ass: 45 1/8 <--- nearly 3 inches off in 4 weeks(I hate getting a big ass :bang: goodbye junk in the trunk).

Chest: 44 3/4 Still nearly a 2 inch increase in 4 weeks :confused: so the measurement taken 2 weeks ago was accurate.

Reflections:
    From memory my first cut I averaged about 1.25kg a week on a 40/40/20 split and it is about the same but on a Keto plan. I am happy with that. Of course I always want super fast results with little effort but that is not reality and it only would teach one to be complacent and take for granted that body re-composition is an easy road. It takes sweat and a strong will to push through. People are always concerned with thinking you should just keep dropping calories more and more and more where this is verging into the territory of 'crash dieting' aka 'hollywood syndrome'. You don't need to limit calories past about 2000cal untill you are really getting down to sub 8% bodyfat levels and even then you can keep cals the same and just increase your cardio a little of incorporate complex style training. There is always the acception to the rule and someone who is naturally quite a small build may find slight lower cals are needed but 1500cal is the absolute lowest from what I have read that one can eat without down-shifting metabolism and causing long term weight regain issues.

Keto is still enjoyable last night was a bit hard but the day after refeed is the main time I may feel tired but this is also largely dependent on the sleep I had the night before.
    I feel I am very mentally tough when it comes to changing focus from bulking to cutting as there was absolutely no transition or getting used to it period. I flipped the switch and that was that no second thoughts just happiness and a longing to be lean again.
    My attitudes that are developing towards the whole bulking/cutting philosophy are that for me personally I shall be more reserved with caloric intake when going to add size again experimenting on nutrient cycling more and not just a continuous overfeed 24/7. But as mentioned previously I did not eat everything in site and go crazy there was a period of a couple of weeks where I really upped the calories due to 1/2 price eating out coupons :lol: but apart from that I would have averaged 4000cal which is not crazy for someone of my size.
    This just cements in my mind the theory of genetic set points for bodyfat levels/metabolisms and the whole lipid/fat cell levels that vary among individuals. We are what we are and we need to learn how to manage our bodies specifically to work with out short comings and strengths.

Well that is my rambling, too much time on my hands I guess but it gets it off my chest.
    I am looking forward to getting into two digit territory soon and being comfortable with my shirt off again :nod: