1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Phoenix Chronicles

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Phoenix, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

T.W: 98kg

I believe that is 0.5kg lost a slow week but still going in the right direction.

8 week mark and 8.9kg/19.6lb fat gone.

Cardio: 32min m-bike ride and 15min walk the dog.

Measurements and photos late tonight to see how I am shaping up.

Have to add in that yesterday evening did some chins x 6, x 5 at BW and they were top notch sternum hitting the bar and feeling a little stronger on these. :)

#181 Phoenix, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

bravo on both counts! :bow::bow:

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Thanks Deja ;)

To think that I was 235lb not that long ago and I was able to do 8,7,6 at bw but they were not always strict. I am confident I could start hitting reps of 10 toward the end of this cut.

I saw your chinning youtube vid and that is a work of art, great strength and you motivate me to get better :tu: :spaz:

Hope your enjoying that book I sent you my head hurt when reading some of it.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

T.W: 97.6kg

Workout:
    SQ: 125 x 2, 122.5 x 4, x 3, 120 x 2
    BP: 93.5 x 3, 92.5 x 3, 90 x 3 x 3
    CL: 62.5 x 5, x 3, 60 x 5 x 2
    StH: 100, 110, 100
    NFl: 12.5 x 8 x 2
    NExt: 12.5 x 8 x 2
    HypExt: 30 x 8 x 2
    Wt Abs: 30 x 8 x 2
    LR: 8 x 2

Ohhhh man that was a bit of a disappointing workout I just had no energy and strength. Wanted to do better on well everything and when squatting I felt really drained. The cleans were not of the best standard did not have the whip and drive I really wanted to flick out the elbows and really nail the bar on my delts and upper chest.
    I did my best to keep volume up so the workout was not a complete waste.

It will be nice if next work out I feel strong as I was in the gym for at least 1hr 30mins and was hard to keep going.

Keto is still going fine I was getting a bit annoyed the last couple of weeks wondering if my body had adapted to it and was not going to let go of any more flab but things seem to be moving along again 'touch wood'. I find perserverence is what pulls one through in this situation.
    I am missing fruit and whole grains a lot and after christmas it will be around the 3 month mark so I will not lot after that really look forward to the change again.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

T.W: 98kg

Cardio: 1hr 8 min Hill walk A + extra, 6km total

Upon using the cars odometer I have discovered that Hill Walk A is about 5km and that would make Hill Walk B about 6km.
    Knee was aching a bit today even though I am not jogging on it.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Y.W: 97.9kg

Workout:

MP: 62 x 4 x 3, x 3
    DL: 145 x 4, x 2
    PlR: 90 x 5 x 3
    FSQ: 60 x 5, 70 x 5
    Chins: BW x 5, x 3 x 2

Measurements:
    Ass: 44" ; -1 1/8"
    Hips:39 1/2" ; -1/2"
    Lower Abs:39 3/8" ; -1 6/8"

Not too shabby even though the weight loss slowed down a little, strength is stabilizing so I hopes this means I am not losing to much muscle.

My Bodyfat came in at 17.7% which is the higher of two measurements I did. It tells me I have a lean bodymass of 80.6kg and that at around 88kg I will be at 10% so around 10kg more to lose to get to around 8% which is awesome.
    My predictions of having a starting Bodyfat of around 25% is accurate as I projected it backwards and it gave me 24.6% so I have lost 6.9% bodyfat in 8.5 weeks.

This is all taken with a grain of salt and at the end of the day I will know where I settle when it happens.

T.W: 96.9kg - Hmmm so I start reintroducing some carbs yesterday and 1kg/2.2lb is lost overnight, so much for water bloat :confused:

Cardio: 1hr on the Treadmill

Over the last couple of days I have been thinking of modifying my diet a little. Going for more of a standard 40/40/20 split with some cyclic keto days and a once a week refeed.
    I think that for 6-8 weeks keto was good for a change and to experience something different, also in a way to suppress my appetite after bulking for a while.
    I did not really experience any tough times on Keto and think that it can have its place as part of an overall process and I enjoyed what it had to offer.
    I will be aiming for around 100g of carbs a day with refeed days being higher and I will every now and again have a couple of really low carb/keto days to mix it up. Whole grains, grainy breads, sweet potato etc all the good stuff even some chia seeds for my carb selections.

I munched on a mango seed after dinner it was very nice I have missed fruit for a few months now.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

T.W: 98.8kg

Weight went up a little over the weekend due to a refeed/buffet and water weight from the extra carbs.

Gives me a 0.8kg rise over last week and gives me a 10 week average of .81kg loss a week, 8.1kg total.
    I imagine I will drop off a bit over the next couple of days if not then shit happens.
    Cardio has been constant and good.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Weigh Day: 96.9kg

-1.9kg/4.2lb from last week

Had a rest week from weight training but did some daily cardio.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Weigh In: Around the 12 week mark

95.8kg
    1.1kg/2.4lb down since last week.

Bodyfat: 14.5%
    10.1% down since the start.

Been takin it a little easy at training with legs due to an aching knee.
    Apart from that I have been focused, diligent and dedicated.

My Chest to Ass ratio is now 1:1 which is great :claphigh:

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Weigh In(for Monday) :
    95.4kg
    0.4kg down from last week.

Physio tomorrow to get an opinion on what the deal is with the knee, taking it easy on it for the moment.

11. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

PHX, this is a new statistic. I've never heard of this one. Is it a serious measure? :confused:

What's it all about?

Moveon

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Well it is serious enough for me to get it as high as possible ;)

It is much more aesthetically pleasing for a male to have a big chest with a nice v taper than an hourglass figure.

13. crazychemistryinaz

crazychemistryinaz Active Member

Chest to Ass Ratio

Well, I've heard of waist:hips (aka ass) ratio, but not a chest to hips ratio, but I can see it. Art DeVany calls it the X look - wider at top and bottom than in the middle, but I believe he includes the shoulders, which I think you did not in that ratio (including the shoulders it nearly always be >1, but I can think of a few exceptions :whistle:)

It seems like you are going for a total V look rather than an X look, but you certainly seem to be doing a lot of leg training (squats and so forth), so your "ass" will never get really small, as it shouldn't. One thing we see in modern, out of shape, men are pants that are baggy in the ass and too tight in the waist - direct effects of a sedentary lifestyle.

14. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Golden Ratio

Now this is coming back to me. There is what's considered a "golden ratio" between the waist and shoulders. The ideal is 1.618. That's Shoulders divided by waist. That's a classic measure that seems to have stood the test of time across the last couple of thousand years. It's something that some speculate is hard wired in our brain. The ratio is found in a lot of nature and people recognize things as beautiful and attractive when the elements of the plant/person/animal approach this ration.

15. crazychemistryinaz

crazychemistryinaz Active Member

Ratios and stuff

You can read a lot about the Golden Ratio here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Zen can also hip us to all kinds of stuff about it. I've not heard it applied to human anatomy, but it would not be surprising. It shows up in the architecture of some of those traingles you see over supporting columns in classic buildings, but that's not always true.

Some research on attractiveness and ratios has been done, specifically one that comes to mind is the waist:hips ratio for women (0.7 being most attactive to European-descended men)- Wikipedia again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-hip_ratio

Turns out there is something about chest:waist ratio for men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

So, for men, a chest:waist ratio of 1.3 is good, 1.67 maybe better, which is pretty close to the Golden Ratio.

I hypothesize that for many, maximizing the equity:debt ratio is the most important feature for attracting a mate :dreamy:

There was also something recently on Yahoo about facial symmetry, ratios, and attractiveness, but those things can't be affected by training with weights.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Weigh In:
    94.1kg/207lb

So a 1.3kg/2.86lb loss which is nice as for the whole week I pretty much sat on 95.3kg then whoosh.

My knee is feeling better will still work it light for this week and the next then if all is good go back to normal.

I am upping cardio to 1hr a day and fasted state to change things up and dial it in a bit.

Keen to get to that 90kg mark, only a few more pounds to get to the 200lb figure as well.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Well the chest to ass ratio is predominantly used to describe a womans figure:confused:, a version is the bust to waist to ass so the 36-24-36 figure that African American's like. I was not making any conscious or sub-conscious connection to this it was merely my way of describing my body proportions changing in a positive way.

If you see all of my training logs, I never skimp on legs and always work them just has hard as every other bodypart. There is no way I would ever aim for a 'Y' figure with no legs :nono: YUK, I personally find skinny stick legs disgusting on men and women.
    When I first cut and got to my leanest I still had decent legs and a healthy looking glute setup(tranformation journal has pics), I am merely opposed to excessive bodyfat conglomerating on my ass and any added muscle to that region will be more than welcome.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Most people deep down would probably love to have wide shoulders, a narrow waist and some legs but that would represent a very small number of people on the planet.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

It is very interesting how we are so driven by the subconscious and that things we seemingly never focus to much on actually do end up swaying so many of our decisions and life choices.
    I have found that the most comments I get regarding a woman admiring a nice ass and chunky legs on a man is from African and African/American women. Sometimes European as well.
    As they say it takes a big hammer to drive a big nail :lol:

The most interesting things I have heard regarding face symmetry and proportions is about babies not liking ugly people.

20. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

We are bombarded with images of "beautiful" people all the time and all day long. WAY more images than we would have encountered just 70 or 80 years ago. It's a problem because it creates unrealistic expectations for ourselves and others.

You said it all in your quote above. Those who are gifted with the classic ideal physique (or face, or hair, or teeth, etc, etc, et naseum) are actually very few.