1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Phoenix Chronicles

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Phoenix, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

This is the beginning of a periodic ranting for me to document as time goes on.

Well it has been a few weeks since I finished my final transformation and I had plans of really starting to up the weights and getting ready for a serious bulking phase.

Well I guess my body has told me now to take a couple of weeks off, I have still managed to do a compound session last monday and this monday but this mondays workout was a bit discouraging. I ran out of gas and did not perform as well as hoped well deadlifts were up but that was it.

I have had for the last two weeks a bit of a chest infection/bronchial asthma and a nasty raspy cough :cry: I also got some gastro with stomach cramps and fever, headaches etc....

It seems every 1-2 years I get this chesty thing and for the first time in a year or so I actually had to have an inhalation of my asthma medication. I am starting to feel better and am fighting the urge to get out there and do some running and compound sessions but I feel I really have to listen to my body and give it time to recover. It is quite hard to do.

It is actually funny that the catalyst for my final transformation was a 3 month battle with a chest infection/bronchial ashma. Everytime I get it I look forward to my multicoloured puss coughing sessions in the shower :barf:no intention to gross those out. I got so pissed off and angry about it and everything else in my life I channeled that into enormous amount of dedication and zeal.

So coming down with it again after achieving so much can be a bit daunting but because I have learnt so much about diet etc I am not getting to stressed about it.

Out of interest my calories have really come up a lot and especially carbs on some days. I average 3000-4500cal a day with up to 400g carbs eating pretty clean but with some comfort food as I am feeling under the weather a bit.
    I have been working 12hr shifts at my 2nd job so I guess that helps use up the calories. Makes me ravenous at night and I have to stop myself from eating everything in sight. I had a big bowl of miso soup with about 500g of tofu to curb the hunger beast before bed and that helped.
    I have thickened up a bit and am looking a bit more solid no where near where I want but better than nothing.
    My weight has stabilised at about 79-80kg 174-176lb it does fluctuate a tad. I have not done a bodyfat reading but am still holding decent definition.

I was going to train this morning but feel I have to still take it easy for a few more days and listen to my body. I really want to train monday no matter what and do some cardio before xmas as there will be plenty of food and some alcomohol :tucool: in moderation of course.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Yesterday I added some am cardio and did 47min hill walk/jog on an empty stomach. I had brekkie then I went to the gym.
    Hyper Extensions,Pullups,DB Press,Bent over BB Rows, Squats, DB Standing Shoulder Press,Hanging Leg Raises.
    It was a mediocre workout, I hate only doing one workout a week but I am still resting up.
    In a way my body feels weaker from only one workout a week but I am maintaining around the same level of strength but with a bit less stamina.
    I have a stiff neck from the DB shoulder raises so I will be taking it easy for a few days. :bang:

3. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

I've seen your transformation photos which were incredible. Good job on getting in any workout with the hectic holiday season. :tu:

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Thanks bud yeah holiday/silly season is always a challenging time for foodaholics like me LOL :eat:

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Well Happy New Year to everyone.. :spaz:

I gained a few kgs/lbs over the Xmass/New Years period I would have probably come out a bit leaner if I had not been slown down with my ill's but I am feeling pretty good, my chest infection is pretty much gone seems to hang around for at least 3 weeks or so and I did not want to use antibiotics etc.. but rely on nutrition and common sense and it prevailed. I still have a slight cough but it will go soon.

Well I put on about 4kgs in a matter of weeks I can tell I have gained a little size probably lucky if that is 0.5kg of muscle LOL but it is ok I needed some time to unwind from it all.

I embraced in the holiday season with some firey zeal.
    I trained on monday and it went ok, getting back to normal.
    Yesterday I did a 25min session in the hills HIIT for about 12 sprints up the hills and the rest was a good jog. Fasted state cardio.
    This morning I ushered in the first day of the new year with a 1hr 30min hill walk session, a little jogging but mainly down the big hills. Also fasted state.
    I get a lot of strange looks from people when I tell them I do a few exercise sessions in the blaring sun :eek: I guess the temp would be around 35-40deg C and I end up sweating a bucket load :bb:. I grew up in the Tropics so I love exercising in the heat really burns the calories but you gotta keep the fluid levels way up.

I am going to keep the cardio up for about another week and I have dropped back calories a little bit so I can strip off the 4kgs or so I have gained in preparation to doing a bulk.
    It is great I can already see a difference that just a day of hard work and dedication brings leaning out again. I am discovering what I like and don't like and experimenting with finding a balance I like.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

My worst night!

I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and went to the docs to get some antibiotics for my throat. It had taken a hold and it could have ended up being a couple more weeks to get rid of so I plan on getting rid of it by the end of the week.
    I trained on Monday and it went quite well.

I have taken today off to take it easy and let myself recover once and for all I hope.

The main reason I went to the docs is that I awoke about two nights ago choking with my throat all dry and closed over, I could not breath full stop. It was pretty bad, it had happened a week or so before but nowhere near as bad I got some water down and it fixed it.
    My doc told me yesterday after telling the story to him that it was because my throat was so swollen up it was restricting my airway, so hence the antibiotics.
    Anyways on the night I awoke suddenly thinking I was dreaming and was pretty delirious, panicking I stumbled to the bathroom gagging and I only vaguely remember doing it but when I got to the door of the bathroom I stopped and started to smash the side of the wall with my hand on the way past. It was pretty loud as it alerted my wife down the other end of the house. Everything was hazy and I felt like passing out, I could hardly move.
    My wife got there pretty quick and I remember turning to her and she was screaming at me repeatedly "what's wrong?" Here face was pale and I have honestly never seen her that scared before in my life, not even when she was on the hospital bed in a serious state after loosing a lot of blood(another story). She was helpless and could only watch me in horror.
    She said my eyes were wider that she had ever seen in her life :eek:, my face was pale and my lips were turning blue. I fell into the sink and got some water down my throat which slowly opened my throat up and within a minute I was getting air down again but it took a couple minutes of gasping and hyperventilating before I felt a sense of normality returning.
    I stayed up for an hour after that and we did some reading on the web and I lay in bed for a while 'shit scared' of falling a sleep again. My wife did not sleep much that night as she kept a vigil and kept waking up every hour checking my breathing and pulse.
    I guess hands down it was the scariest night of my life not including the incident with my other half. My wife said the cat was freaking out with his back arched, my dog was barking and crying running around scared shit-less. It is funny I did not get a word out but they still new something bad was happening.

Well I guess that moral of the story is if you have a inflamed and swollen throat get rid of it, the fastest sensible way possible. I knew I had an inflamed throat for a week or so but I did not think it was that bad. :doh:

My wife said at first it sounded like I was fighting someone LOL... myself I guess :bang:

#6 Phoenix, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Holy shite! I would be scared to sleep as well. Did you have strep? My wife had it so bad once her throat almost swelled shut, and I made her go to the ER. The doctor there took one look at her throat, said "YUCK!" and gave mer a massive shot of penicillin. You know things are nasty if you can make an ER Dr say yuck. Glad you are okay.

8. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

holy cow Pheonix... I'm glad you're alright... it's amazing how perceptive animals can be :nod:... I hope those med's get you back in top shape fast ;)

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Thanks guys yeah the antibiotics are working pretty quick, I guess seeing my throat in the condition it is now really shows how swollen it was. I am sleeping with more confidence now LOL..

10. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Sleeping without the impending threat of death is highly underrated.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Yeah for a time there is stole my wifes number one hobby :rolleyes:

12. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Dude!!! Holy crap, that's some scary stuff. Glad you're ok and great transformation by the way!

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Ok I am now getting to the stage where I can say 'I train with weights' with confidence.

My throat and cough now starting to subside I felt better in the gym I am not technically bulking yet. I have a couple more xmass kilos to shed and am getting my strength up a tad ready for a real onslaught.

This morning what a very happy workout for me I set a PB for pretty much everything I did. Still training in a 3x8 kind of fashion.

Squat maxed at 110kg/242lb Really felt it in my core as I started to squat this weight
    Bench Press maxed at 80kg/176lb
    Bent over row maxed at 80kg/176lb(underhand grip)
    Military Press maxed at 45kg/99lb(have done better but was my last compound exercise).
    On Monday Deadlift maxed at 100kg/220lb

I know these are not incredible but for me they felt good as for the last year I did not really do any real heavy lifting around bodyweight for most things.
    I have for a long time wanted to start to push myself and lift more, now that I have ramped up the calories I am feeling a lot stronger in the gym. Eating clean and lots of whole grains really helps too. :D

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Yeah I am glad it is all behind me next time my throat goes red I know that to do. :confused:

Thanks as well.

You have my support in your weight loss journey, believe in yourself and go for gold. :)

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Phoenix,
    How are you doing recuperating from you illness. Looks like you went through some trying times. Glad to see it is not getting you down.

16. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Hope your feeling better man.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Yeah thanks guys feeling pretty good now, I went for a 45min hill jog yesterday and it felt awesome. Legs were a tad sore but that is ok a good sore.

Still have a bit of a cough and throat is a little red still but I think a few more days and I will be good as gold.

18. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

do you think it's good to go for a run when you're not completely recovered?:confused: i wouldn't risk it. just be patient and rest a bit more.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Thanks for your concern :p

I knew that I would be taking it easy the next few days so I started out just going for a hill walk but after two minutes I could not fight the urge. Out in the countryside and hills i just had to get a sweat going. I took it easy and only went for a short 45min spell :rolleyes: I am pretty specific when i say jog I do not go crazy or anything just a nice steady pace.

I was feeling really good that is the only reason I went and I was going stir crazy :bang:

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Trained yesterday and I felt pretty good.

I started doing something I should have done sooner but after some reading I decided to start doing full squats ass to the floor. As opposed to partial parallel squats.
    They felt really good, I dropped the weights back a bit 90kg on the last set.
    My legs were a bit sore yesterday afternoon and today, a nice morning walk today helped keep them moving.

I recommend full squats to anyone out there provided you warm up properly and have any pre-existing injuries sorted out first.

I am still focused on leaning out a tad then maybe by friday hitting it hard and heavy.
    I have to work out a bit of a plan for what exactly I will do and track my lifts each week. I have not done this so far, but now I figure if I meticulously record and analysis this as well it can only help to get good results.