1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

the ol' durty durty

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by dejavued, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

i'm still deciding.

atm i'm thinking i'll combine improving flexibilty/mobility with learning spanish. something like 2 hours a week spent doing prehab and mobility stuff while listening to spanish language cds.

but i might go with something else. i have another week to decide. :p

2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

yeah it's just one of those things that is going to require you to put urself out there for rejection/humiliation/whatever. accepting that the best things in life usually require that is one of the hard things that most of us don't learn and master til we're too old to care. :D

bout 6 million times easier said than done. :scared:

3. SweetPea

SweetPea Well-Known Member

My goal is to limit my sitting time a day. I don't mean when I am working or driving. I have now spent HOURS today on this dang computer. :mad:

My rules:

If I am not working, doing school work, or driving it counts towards my 2 hours a day on the weekend and 1 hour a day on the weekdays.

Well that being said I am getting off this computer to go and get stuff done. My 2 hours are up!! See you tomorrow.

4. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

this is pretty cool. When I ask myself what do I dislike doing the most and will always find a reason to avoid, it is hands down cooking. I have a complete mental block about it. So at the beginning of this year I made a vague resolution to start cooking and I gave myself the restriction to actually use fresh vegetables and meat (I think this will actually be easier, because I hate freezing and defrosting meat).

So far this month I came up with a sweet potato stew that I love and some chilli that was just gross. So I will participate in the challenge and try to give some extra motivation and structure to the vague goal that I set.

So this year I will come up with 1 recipe per month that I love to eat. And I will post the recipe here. Now the sweet potato stew I made up myself, but I think I got lucky and I will not require that I come up with them all myself. But, I do have to love it. So likely I will need to attempt a lot more than one new recipe per month to get one that I love. I'm off to a good start because I love the sweet potato stew, so I will post that recipe.

Of course the meals will also need to be healthy.

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

ok so i decided on mah durty.

love handles on blast.

i hold a LOT of fat around my middle and am soooo tired of shirts looking like shit or not being able to wear a bikini top because of their size.

i'm going to take a picture of them and post it here once a month. i'll side by side to make sure they look better each month instead of worse.

this :scared: the shit out of me.

but it'll keep me honest. :D

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:tucool:

7. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

That's bound to get you the progress deja.

----

Saturday night + alcohol = new zealand girl. WIN!

8. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:madpimp: that nz accent is damn sexy! way to go foley! :tucool:

9. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Now to do something similar with no alcohol. That won't happen for a while...

10. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

i did lat pull downs today. 65lbs and it was tough. omg im such a weakling. this is good for me!! :nod:

11. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Ok, this isn't going to happen. I've got to stop in front of the baby, since she'll start to pick up on them soon.

I'd never have picked Foley for the quiet, introverted type. :eek:

12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Okay I'm sneaking in before deja locks the door on me. :nod:

My "durty" is flexibility: active mobility work, static stretching, physical therapy.

I still haven't really kicked that hip pain that showed up last year. My squats are limited by my lack of range of motion. I have a very tight posterior chain and hip flexors. I also tend to get large knots around my right scapula - maybe related to posture, or a slight scoliosis.

I've been doing some rolling after my cardio warmup and again after lifting. Right now the goals are:
    • rolling before and aftter lifting
    • hip stretches before and after lifting
    • hip streches and hip flexor stretched before bed
    • lacrosse ball rolling on my upper back after lifting
    • lacrosse ball rolling on my upper back before bed

I'm open to suggestions. Obviously it's not going to happen every day. I'll settle for every lifting day, and take it from there.

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

OK... I've got 3... things that I've always known that I needed to do, but just couldn't get my hands around...

1. Use my electric toothbrush - this is kind of a silly one... but it's been sitting there for a long time! I threw away my manual toothbrush... been going good for about 2 weeks now
    2. Drop the alcohol altogether - currently doing this in the Sober January challenge... so far so good
    3. Work on my posture - I've been thinking of the need to do this... then RTE got on me about it with my recent pictures... gonna try some stuff there that he suggested

14. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

tonight i did 3 sets of 10 lat pulls, 50 lbs i think. i even threw in some girly pushups just for fun. it's better than nothin. i have to find my pull up bar.. i want to start doing some negatives.

i think i hid it when i had company coming over and now i have no idea where i put it. cleaning = losing stuff. lol :)

15. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Going out tonight. Gonna try talk to people I don't know. :o

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I forget where I am. :doh:

I think I got only two sessions in on the elliptical last week because I worked one half day longer than usual and was lazy, then had sore legs from deadlifting and a whole lot of other excuses. :spank: So far this week, I've done two, which is on schedule, but I was supposed to do my third one for the week about an hour ago. :o I have mild stomach cramps, a mild cold/runny nose, and mild personal stress, so it would be really uncomfortable to do it, but not impossible. :(

Two more sessions and I get to buy five songs on itunes. :guitar:

17. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

month 1 update

this sucks. :cry:

but it'll be nice to watch em diminish the next few months.

the little bastards won't be missed. :nope:

Attached Files:

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Not impossible.

One more session and I get to buy five songs on itunes. :guitar:

19. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

It's okay, deja. Is there a reason you don't take a shot from the top of your head down to your toes? Why focus in on the part you like the least?

____

Okay, here's my durty durty. I can't run. Ever since elementary school I've always felt pathetic about even running a mile. I currently have other goals going about bench pressing my body weight, etc. (and I feel really confident about these goals), but it's embarrassing that I have no confidence in getting out and running a few miles. There were a few weeks in 2004 where I could get on the treadmill at 6 mph and go for 30 minutes, but that lasted only about 3 weeks. I'd really like to be able to run for 30 - 45 minutes in a row. I know that's kind of pathetic, but that's enough for me this year. At least once a month I'll post where I am on this.

#39 modmaven, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

well that's the point of this durty. don't worry i feel fine about my body and i'm healthy as a horse, so overall i'm good in that department. now i just want more. to be STOKED about my body. :D

in the big scheme of things my love handles don't bother me in the slightest. :nod: but if one has time/effort for a little vanity....shit why not.

so moddy are ya gonna run indoors or out ya think??