1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "I Hate My Career" Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Dorvaan, May 18, 2005.

1. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

Yep...its true. I hate my career. I work in the IT industry as a Technician/Administrator.

Recently, I have begun to realize that many of my problems in my life are stemming directly from the boredom that I have with this job. I have recently all but made the final decision that I am going to be looking to switch jobs....in fact, I am looking at switching career fields all together....I'm just bored, and am starting to truly realize that what I am doing now is NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life....

Who's with me?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I spent my college years in IT and I'd be where you are today had I not. After three years of working and going to school in the same building, by the time I graduated, I knew for sure IT was a career field way out of the question.

What do you want to do?

-R

3. Dorvaan

Ahhh...you see....THERE is the true question...I honestly don't have a clue!! Kind of scary at 25 when you thought you had found your career.....

4. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Been there and done that! Go for what you believe in and what is your heart. I've never heard someone say, "I wish I worked more hours in a job I hated" on their deathbed.

Jeremy

5. neonch

neonch Well-Known Member

Man I am right there with you. I to am a technician/admiinistrator and feel the same as you. I to am just bored and I hate the thought of waking up every morning and going. I am thinking about a career change myself. As of yet I dont really know what I want to do. I also dont want to give up any money. I get paid pretty well not to have a degree and the benifits are great where I work. Plus they are paying for my college education. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

6. SlowBurn

SlowBurn Well-Known Member

What specifically do you hate about your job? You could try moving into system engineering. You could focus on a technology that you actually do enjoy. I did that when I went from standard desktop support to wireless technology solutions. You may even be able to swing your tech knowledge into a consulting/sales type job. I don't consider the IT field to be strictly limited to administration.

7. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Oh man, this thread pierced my heart!

I'm in a terrible crossroad of which profession to choose...

On one hand I want a secure profewssion where I'll always find a job (like nursing).

I guess that my family has really brainwashed me on the issue :mad:

On the other hand, that's just not where my heart is... To me all money making jobs are so boring... It just sucks!

Lately though, I've started to realize that I want to create things. I'm not sure where it will lead me to, but I started considering architecture.
    I'm going on profession counseling on sunday so I'm holding fingers crossed. :D

8. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

My story is more amusing. :) I worked as a nurse for five years, all the while really wanting to be in IT (this was in the 80's and female computer geeks were pretty rare). I then got a job in tech support for a major software company and springboarded into SW development and QA for the next nine (!) years. After all the layoffs and cutbacks in the IT industry (my former boss at Toshiba is now working at a Home Depot), I'm back working as a nurse /sigh..

9. JeremyLikness

"Secure" is a loose term when you have a job (stands for just over broke). Most people buy into the illusion of security. The job basically qualifies them for credit and then the credit buys material items on money that doesn't exist. The litmus test for if you are secure is to imagine your job disappearing tomorrow, and how long will you be able to survive on what you have right now? Most people would only last a month or two.

The fact is, any hospital, government position, company, or other "secure" position can disappear in a heartbeat.

It's also interesting to see people concerned with money. Money is important, don't get me wrong - what was it Zig Ziglar said, "Money isn't the most important thing but it ranks right up there with oxygen."?

But if you stop to think about it, why do most people want money? They want a quality of life. But do they get it?

Statistically, over half of the population will retire at the poverty level. That's fairly eye-popping for all of the secure positions, 401k plans, etc.

I was making an incredible income in the IT industry. What I wasn't earning in salary, I was also earning in stock options, etc. What I lacked was time. Time to be with my family. Having to ask someone else permission to go on vacation - even being called out of vacation to respond to issues and calls. A daughter growing up who I rarely got to spend quality time with.

When I left IT and started my own business, I made probably 1/5th of what I was making. I truly was just over broke, like they say for a j.o.b. But here is where things began to change ...

First, I had time freedom. I don't know if I can ever put a price tag on it. You can ask my daughter. She'd much rather have Daddy home to spend time with her than to have us making steady income but Daddy is always gone. We don't go out to the movies as often, take expensive trips, etc, but we spend time together, and that's GOLD.

Second, I learned how to produce my OWN income. I don't have to depend on someone else. If something goes sour, I can always create. I'm not saying the job market is bad - I may even work part time or contract at some point, and there are certainly many people very happy with their jobs. The key, however, is to learn how to produce value in the free market with your own skills (and EVERYONE has them) so that you don't have to depend on someone else (your boss, your company, etc) for success.

Third, I learned how to produce income that will be there even if the carpet is pulled out from under me. Even if I quit doing ANYTHING AT ALL I would still be earning around $1k - $1.5k just through residual income. That's a pretty good amount to come in considering it only required a few hours a week part-time over a year to produce it - imagine how much money you'd have to have in savings just to throw off $1k in interest payments per month. That's probably the most powerful thing I learned - is concepts of leveraged, residual, and passive income. If you don't understand these three income streams, LEARN THEM NOW. It will save you many, many years of struggle.

See, even if you are in a job right now, even if you are paid a salary of $20k, if you learn those three terms: leveraged, residual, and passive income, you can take that $20k / yr salary and turn it into first being completely free of debt and then eventually having more money come in without you doing a thing than you currently make based on your job.

It sounds like a pipe dream, but it's not. Me? I left the corporate world because I wanted time freedom and because I'm a procrastinator. As long as I was working, I would use that as an excuse not to learn how to generate income on my own. So I pulled the rug out from under myself so I could learn "trial by fire style".

I don't suggest anyone else do the same thing ... but I suggest if you are unhappy, you have a few choices.

One is to educate yourself about passive, leveraged, and residual. Then, you can start some projects part time and know that as unhappy as you are, in 3 - 5 years you can quit because you are making passively the income you used to have to report to a boss to make.

Two is to find something you enjoy and pursue that. Instead of being like the 95% who believe a job is secure and they don't have what it takes to survive in free enterprise, you can be like the 5% who are willing to take a risk because they understand free enterprise isn't about being the smartest, the coolest, the most knowledgeable, or the most experienced - it's about having a heart big enough to fail enough times to learn how to succeed.

That's the only difference between people who are truly free - and by free I mean who do what they want, when they want, with who they want - and people who are really slaves because they don't even have the freedom to choose their own vacation or hours they work. The difference? Simply making the dream the biggest priority, rather than the money.

I've been a student of successful people and have had some awesome coaches personally mentor me, from multimillionaires like Jeffery Combs, Mike Litman, and John Di Lemme to others, and I say this not to brag, but to say I know these entrepreneurs did not have luck or some magic skill, and in fact a few of them started out flat broke or even in extreme debt. So how are they where they are today? They decided instead of taking it easy (it's easy to get a job and report every day and fly under the radar to get a paycheck) they'd take it hard (it's tough to be responsible for your own income and to know that every meal depends on you getting out and producing) because instead of getting paid what the job is worth, they decided to get paid what THEY were worth on the free market. The thing about it is, once you realize you can get paid your own value, not the value of the job, then instead of trying to find a new job, all you have to do is find ways to increase your value, which often means becoming a better person.

How cool is that?

When the Legends Die
    The Dreams End
    When the Dreams End
    There is No More Greatness. (Kcorzack)

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMs.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams ... live the life you imagined." (Thoreau)

I have a few videos that really explain the concepts of how you can begin building your wealth part time and create an "exit day" or as T Harv Ecker calls it a "freedom day" so that while you may be unhappy, you can swallow it because you know where you'll be in a few years. Because there is a fee (not to you, but to us) every time they are viewed, i prefer to share the links with only those who are truly interested in learning how to improve their lives, so feel free to PM me or e-mail me and I'll send over the link for you to watch the online movies and educate yourself a bit more about these concepts.

Jeremy

10. conquer_all2002

conquer_all2002 Well-Known Member

I HATE my job. I work retail and make arround 40K. But I am tired of dealing with people. I can honestly say that the average person is barely above broccoli in the IQ chart :mad:

11. Dorvaan

Don't even talk to me about broccoli!!! I shit you not, this is a call that I had to deal with tonight at work.

First of all, let me set this up for you a bit. Part of the system that I support is an industrial setting. We have cabinets that are designed to hold a monitor, industrial PC, and a keyboard drawer. If you are standing, and looking at one, the monitor is slightly below eye-level, and the industrial PC is directly below it. All of these components are screwed into the cabinet. The industrial PC is about 9 inches high, and about 20 inches wide....

Earlier in the night, we were having a problem with one of the PCs, so I removed it from its cabinet (leaving a gaping hole in its place), and took it back to my office to work on it.

Me: This is Dustin.

Caller: Hey, I'm down here at [pc location], and for some reason I can't get my monitor to turn on.

Me: (not believing what I'm hearing) You are talking about the PC at XXX location?

Caller: Yeah, the monitor is just black, and has nothing showing.

Me: (now feeling like messing with him) Go ahead and press the reset button on the PC, and see what happens.

Caller: (after slight delay) OK...I did it....still nothing showing up....

Me: (now not sure what he did that he was calling a reset) Are you CERTAIN you did it?

Caller: Yeah, pretty sure...its still black.....

Finally I gave in and just told him...this is the stuff I deal with on a regular basis.:mad:

12. Gila Monster

That was really great to read!
    Everything you said is just too true - The importance of freedom beeing the thing that cought my attention the most!

I was nodding through out the entire read!

Thanks!

13. conquer_all2002

conquer_all2002 Well-Known Member

Try this on for size. I work for a cell phone company.

Cust- why is my bill so high?
    me- I dont know, let me look it up.
    me-whats ur phone number?
    cust- hmm, 234-3494. No wait. thats my home number. Ah, 348-4 no thats no it. Try 465-3456
    me- Its not coming up
    cust- Shit, ah. Try 364-4565.
    me-nope
    cust0 I dont know!, Its not like I call my self.
    cust-why its my bill so high?
    me- I DONT KNOW, I need to look it up.
    cust- well dont you ahve my number in your system?
    me-yes, but I need to tell the system what to look for
    me-give me your social
    cust-I dont give that out
    cust- cant you use your my last name?
    me- Sir, I can assure you there will be thousands of accounts under that name nation wide
    cust- ok whatever. Why is my fucking bill so high?

OR

cust- my phone wont turn on
    me- (take the phone apart and see a puddle of water stored behind the battery) did you get it wet?
    cust- No
    me- Sir/ Mam there is water behind your battery
    cust- You calling me a liar?

I would like to donkey punch some of my custs :mad:

14. Gila Monster

Didn't he notice some loose whires or SOMETHING??! :d_confuse

15. JetGirl

JetGirl Well-Known Member

I just graduated and I'm currently working as a security guard, night shift (23:00-07:00). I don't make a lot of money, I'm tired all the time, and the job is just so monotonous.. It's driving me crazy!

I'm looking for a new job in marketing, but it's so hard.. I'm having a lot of problems staying positive but, what can I do. At least I have a job to supplement my income .. but gaaaah.

16. Gila Monster

I sooo know what you mean! When I was in the army I would do the 4:00-8:00 shifts, PM and AM. I really hope you are allowed to listen to the radio because radio had been my salvation!
    That and sunrises! :D

17. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

lol - I get this too. I don't so much hate my job as hate the people I am chained to serve.

My favortie exchange ever:

ME: Ok - so do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the server and email it to me
    CUST: I can't email it to you - we're a 'secure' site
    ME: Ok - so read it off to me - starting at the top
    CUST: I can't read it over this unsecured line
    ME: ok..... if I don't have the ip information I can't really help you
    CUST: I can fax it to you?
    ME: Sure.. here's the number ... give me 5 minutes to run down to the fax and grab it

This is the part where I walk down 3 flights of stairs to the fax machine and you know what this nimrod has done to the page he faxed me?!?!?!

Thats right - he marked through all the numbers with a marker......

ARGHHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!

18. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

I work in the Security Industry as a Security Engineer developing and integrating high level systems for Government and Nuclear facilities. I love my job - as it is always changing with new and improved ways of going about things. The thing I hate though is how my company is run. Unorganized cluster F if you know what I mean. The President micromanages everything down to FedEx and UPS deliveries.. its unreal and only hurts the company. Somedays I just shake my head and tell myself if I ever become owner of my own company not to do what she does. The bad part about this industry is there are not many companies that do what we do or have the flexibility that my company gives me. So besides dealing with a "got to know everything" boss.. everything is good ;)

19. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

I am in the same IT field as well and hate it. It is incredibly easy money and I know a ton of people who would want my job. I guess I hate it because I feel that my job does not make an impact or have an effect on anybody's life, outside of mine. To me, the perfect job would be one where I help change peoples lives. I guess that is why I have such a passion for fitness. I have helped several coworkers lose at least 100lbs collectively. That makes me happy.

Jason

20. JeremyLikness

"Sacred Contracts" by Caroline Myss. Find out what you were MEANT to do on this world, not what you were led to believe you SHOULD do.

Jeremy