1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The "NO CARDIO" Cutting Experiment!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ChipPan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ChipPan

ChipPan Well-Known Member

Yes, no cardio. Why? Because I hate it! :D

Seriously, I know there will be pple saying this isn't a very good approach to dropping bodyfat and keeping LBM but I have done cardio with previous cuts and found that I was not only getting bored out of my brain but that I was getting more lethergic for my workouts. What about the possible cardiovascular benefits I will be missing out on? Well, I don't really have any worries in that dept, as I have religiously done cardio (on machines, running 20k's, cycling) for the past 4 years and have a resting heart rate of 52. Also, my weight training will, I think, give me enough in the way of upping my heart rate.

I will be following a low-carb plan for my diet, with an exmphasis on healthy fats (i.e. nuts, flaxseeds, fish oil caps.). The calories will be roughly 10 x my bodyweight in lbs as a starting point, with obviously an increase on training days.

I have been successful in dropping bodyfat quickly in the past but have stalled many times with overdoing the cheat days so hopefully keeping a log will motivate me more.

My starting stats:- 152 lbs, 13.1% bodyfat

2. ChipPan

A good solid 2 days diet-wise & training wise.

EATING

I am currently doing a diet called "T-Dawg 2.0" (you can find it on t-nation.com - the BEST bodybuilding/nutrition/supplement site on the web) which is kindof a keto/low-carb diet but one which allows for carbs for post-workout (i.e. in the PWO drink) - when it is most needed & also one meal out of the day which can include carbs.

The other meals are purely protein & fat, with maybe a tiny bit of carbs but always keeping to healthy fats like nuts, flaxseeds & peanut butter. I did try a version of this diet and included eggs, beef & pork but have since stopped that after a blood test showed I had high cholesterol! My mum has it too even though she is relatively active, follows a balanced diet & is slim so I guess it's genetic.

LIFTING

The workouts are split into 2 parts:-

LEGS/BACK

CHEST/SHOULDERS/ARMS

which are trainined alternately, with a total of 3 workouts a week.

STATS

I was 156 lbs on Friday, and weighed myself this morning when I was 150lbs but a lot of that will be water weight, as I did have an ALMIGHTY cheat day (well, actually make it two!) on Thurs. & Fri.) so I was really carb-bloated. I use my Tanita scale which I know isn't that reliable but gives me just a small indication of how I'm doing. Plus obviously I will use the mirrow as a guide also.

3. ChipPan

UPDATED STATS

156 lbs, 13.1% - 11th March

149.8lbs, 12.5% - 15th March

DIET EXAMPLE

Feel free to critique,i'm always open to suggestions:-

1) PROTEIN+CARB
    Bran flakes, 1/2 milk, 1/2 water, 2 scoops whey

2)PRO+FAT
    2 & 1/2 scoops whey, 30g milled flaxseeds, 3 fish capsules

3)PRO+FAT
    100g turkey breast, 30g mixed nuts, lo-carb ketchup

4)PRO+MIXED
    140g turkey, little curry sauce(lo carb), tsp peanut butter, green veg's

5)PRO+FAT
    200g cottage cheese, 20g peanut butter

That's basically it, although it does vary slightly day to day. I do try & eat every 3 hours or so & at the moment that's fairly easy as I'm not working. On workout days I have a shake straight after with 50g dextrose & 2 & 1/2 scoops of whey.

SUPPLEMENTS

I'm not really much of a supplement person, it has to be said (& plus they cost so much here in the UK!):-

whey protein powder
    multi-vitamins
    fish oil capsules

RANDOM THOUGHTS

Had my legs/back workout today and didn't feel as energetic as normal & plus I have an impt job interview this Thurday so I think I'll have to have an extra carb meal to fight the mind foginess LOL although I am kinda used to it by now.

4. jtchen22

jtchen22 Well-Known Member

any updates?