1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Less then 200lbs by age 21 challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by kidswole, Mar 7, 2007.

1. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

Well the title says it all.

As of Valentines day 2007 I have convinced myself to change my lifestyle and get into shape. After weighing in at 230lbs I was truly unhappy with myself and commited to changing that quick.

In exactly 80 days now I'll be turning 21 years old in which my plan is to be under 200lbs by then. My overall goal is to weigh 180 - 189 cut/ripped. For my frame that is just about right.

I currently weigh in at 218lbs and I stand 6'0". It seems that shedding these next 19lbs should be no problem until my deadline that I gave myself. If I weigh in at 205lbs or less by April 14th I will push myself to get to 190lbs or less.

I have been committed 21 days strong now attending the gym daily as I know if I miss even one day i'll eventually miss another then another and I'll be back to the beginning.

I made a rather large post on a previous forum which ended into a referral to this forum here, but I'll go ahead and put it up for your viewing pleasure.

The whole topic can be viewed here.
    I had done nearly 3 weeks of pure cardio and ended up plateauing. I was obviously doing something wrong and one member pointed out that my body had gotten used to all the running and to mix it up some. After doing some research on this forum here I learned that it's actually better to have more muscle then to not have it. the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just by being alive.

Last night I changed up my routine completly which involved just a few miles of treadmill time, about 45minutes on the bicycle, and several different lift machines that focused on the upper body. Assisted pull-ups was probably the one that nailed me the hardest. My first goal is to be able to lift my own bodyweight which I'm sure is the hardest for all beginners.

I'm going to continue this routine for approximatly 2 - 3 weeks before I change it to something else.

I did take a few pictures from the beginning, but I was a week or two late when I had started the conditioning. I'm pretty sure these first 12lbs that I have shed were mostly water weight so I'm hoping that these next 2 - 3 weeks that I put in will make the most noticable difference to my body.

I have never felt much better in my life now with this being a daily task. I should have started this a long time ago. I will be updating my progress either daily or weekly with pictures every 2 weeks.

thanks all, I hope I can achieve this goal and turn my life around.

2. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I don't know if you want someone to do this with you, but if you do let me know. I weigh a little more than you now but if you want a challenge we can figure something out.

3. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

:tu: not a problem at all. I'm up for any challenge that will keep me motivated or push me harder towards my goal. I've been noticing that it's rather common on this site these challenges that go on, but if you know how it all works out just explain it to me and I'll be surely up for it.

4. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Basically how it works is we would set a goal, then race to get there. You want to lose 18 lbs, so maybe a race to 20 lbs of weight loss. I don't know if you do body measurements, but I think 20 lbs of fat loss instead of 20 lbs of weight loss would be better.

Or set a date(your birthday) and then see what your stats are on that date. Pretty much everything is done on the honor system it seems.

5. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

How do you know if you lost 20lbs of fat and now weight? I'm up for it just get it organized somehow since you seem to know how it all works out. I'll stick to my current goal for my birthday, but if you and I want to compete to who can lose 20lbs of fat first, well i'm up for that.

I'll talk to a gym PT today and I'll find out what tape measurers they're using so I can pick one up.

6. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

http://www.dotxls.com/free-templates/20/free-excel-templates--diet-exercise-and-health

I downloaded the fitness spreadsheet from this link. It isn't perfect but it calculates your body fat % on the basis of your weight and waist measurements. It is by no means perfect, but it is consistent. As far as the tape measure I just went to Wal-Mart and bought one from their fabric department for a couple of bucks. As soon as you get your measurements taken let me know and we'll get started. I do my measurements every Saturday so I can post total weight loss and fat loss once a week.

7. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

Well here are my stats according to that chart on excel. I'll go ahead and just make this my starting weight for our friendly competition and my challenge will go on, but on the side. I'll update this one post with all my updates from here on out. The first to shed 20 fat pounds (with no end date) wins. Good luck!

3/11/07 -

Weight - 216lbs
    Chest - 41in.
    Waist - 38in.
    Hips - 41 1/4in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 170 3/7lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 45 4/7lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 21%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 29.29

3/18/07 -

Weight - 210lbs
    Chest - 41in.
    Waist - 37in.
    Hips - 41in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 168lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 42lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 20%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 28.48

From last check in:

Total weight loss - 6lbs
    Total fat loss - 3 4/7lbs

3/25/07 -

Weight - 208lbs
    Chest - 41in.
    Waist - 36.5in.
    Hips - 41in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 168lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 40lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 19 2/9%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 28.21

From last check in:

Total weight loss - 2lbs
    Total fat loss - 2lbs

4/01/07 -

Weight - 206lbs
    Chest - 41in.
    Waist - 37.5in.
    Hips - 41in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 161 2/3lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 44 1/3lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 21 1/2%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 27.94

From last check in:

Total weight loss - 2lbs
    Total fat loss - +4 2/3lbs

4/08/07 -

Weight - 211lbs
    Chest - 41.5in.
    Waist - 37.5in.
    Hips - 41in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 167 lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 44 lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 20 4/5%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 28.61

From last check in:

Total weight loss - +5lbs
    Total fat loss - 1/3lbs

4/15/07 -

Weight - 210lbs
    Chest - 42.5in.
    Waist - 37.5in.
    Hips - 40.5in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 166 lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 44 lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 21%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 28.48

From last check in:

Total weight loss - -1lb
    Total fat loss - 0lbs

4/22/07 -

Weight - 205lbs
    Chest - 42.5in.
    Waist - 36.5in.
    Hips - 40.75in.
    Est. Lean Body Weight - 164.75 lbs
    Est. Body Fat Weight - 40.25 lbs
    Est. Body Fat % - 19 5/8%
    Est. Body Mass Index - 27.80

From last check in:

Total weight loss - -5lbs
    Total fat loss - -3.75lbs

#7 kidswole, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  8. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

As of Saturday I was 233 @ 30.5% body fat. I currently have 71 lbs of body fat. Considering I have 25 lbs more lbs of body fat than you I should have an advantage so I'm going to spot you 5 lbs. If it is OK with you I'm going to change the challenge to: I have to lose 25 lbs of fat before you lose 20lbs of fat in the interest of fairness. Good luck!

9. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

Today is the first month since I started eating healthy and finally commiting to it all.

I weighed in this morning at 210lbs and I'll admit I was fn happy. That puts me at -20lbs for my first month. Of course I ate/drank throughout the day and I weighed in at 214ish towards the end of the night.

This really makes me confident that I'll be able to achieve my goal and maybe even more. I haven't been under 200lbs in over 3 years so I'm pretty excited on where I'll end up.

There is exactly 73 days left until my birthday. I'm hoping to be able to shed an additional 15lbs+ this month to put me under 200lbs for good even after eating meals throughout the day.

10. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I weighed in at 230.5 this morning. That is 2.5 lbs of weight for the week with 2.03 being fat loss. If I maintain the same each week that will put me at 200 lbs about June 9. On this course it will be 25 lbs of fat and 30 lbs total at that time.

11. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

just wanted 2 say that ill be checking this guys, specially u MB6 i wanna see u sweat!!!:lol:

good luck, let the fat massacre begin!

12. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

I'd just like to point out a bit of my routine so that you're aware of what i'm up to.

I weigh myself at the gym using their scale with full gym clothes i.e. shirt, boxers, shorts, socks, shoes. I'm sometimes on an empty stomach with no fluids or 'full' stomach with some fluids when I weigh myself. Throughout my whole routine I'm wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood on and tied tight, but comfortably.

I'm at the gym every day of the week and I make sure I don't miss a session. During the week i'm there once at night daily and over the weekends I'll attempt for two sessions a day if I'm not working.

I'm on a strict 1500 - 1800 calorie/day diet which is mostly veggies and other healthy foods. All I drink is water, gatorade, or green tea, thats it. No fast food, No taco trucks, No soda, No ice cream, No candy bars or any type of sugary treat. Basically anything that could possibly be bad I do not eat. I don't treat myself at all to be honest. I watch what I eat like a hawk.

My routine for the past 2 weeks (and I will continue for one more) has been mostly cardio (10min treadmill, 10min skiing maching thing, 10min bicycle) at a fast or high resistance pace with very light weight lifting that consists mainly of assisted pull-ups/chin-ups and some lateral pull downs. I'd say the cardio/lifting ratio is around 80/20 right now.

I'm really pushing myself to get below 200 by my birthday and I'm within the single digits already so it won't be a problem. I'm hoping to be in the 170's by mid june at the latest before I start cutting and really hitting the weights.

I'm going for the ryan reynolds look even though I know it's going to take a minimum of 6months+ to achieve such a figure.

I'm taking pictures weekly and I look different in each one.

#12 kidswole, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  13. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

I seemed to have pleatued yet again so it's time to change the workout routine that I'll start this monday. I'm going to involve a lot of weight lifting for this next session and very little to no cardio at all.

I've noticed based off the charts that I'm losing a good amount of weight, but with some muscle shedding off as well. I kinda knew I was doing something wrong. So if it's not considered cheating I'm going to sign up for a personal trainer in about 3 weeks to give me some assistance with my goal.

I want to do things the right way and it's obvious that I am not. I can push myself to do cardio on my own no problem, but weight lifting is a total different area and I'll need someone there that knows what they are doing.

14. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I have no problem with you using a trainer.

I didn't get a chance to take measurements this weekend so I don't know how much fat I've lost but I worked my butt off doing some construction Saturday so I was down 3.5 lbs to 227 Sunday morning. I think most of that was water weight from working on a roof all day. I also had 4 beers Thursday night to celebrate a new job, so I'm sure that set me back some.

15. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

Well I signed up for a personal trainer after all. I sat down and spoke with several, but ended up talking to the one who I think is perfect for my needs for near 2 hours before I signed anything.

I gave him my routine for the past 2 months (since 2/14/07) and had mentioned that I had done 7 weeks of pure cardio and mentioned that I put myself on (what i thought) a strict 1500 - 1800 calorie/day diet and resulted in losing 22lbs.

Well doing so much cardio actually hurt my body dramatically in which I lost a LOT of muscle. I also told him exactly what I ate for the length of a week (my memory is decent) and instead of eating 1500ish calories a day from what I thought I was actually eating BARELY 1000 calories if that. Considering I was at one point running 6 miles for weeks I was burning close to 400 - 600 calories per gym session. Sure i lost some weight, but I did it all wrong.

My goal still stands, I'm aiming for the 180's and signed up for 36 sessions which we will do 5 per week (m-f)

I'm going to be doing a lot of resistance training and a lot of work in the water.

I assure you I am taking tons of pictures as we speak, even more so now because I can tell that this guy is going to take me to that edge and get me there where I want to be. I made it very clear that if I feel that I am not being pushed to my limits and him taking me serious that i will drop him fast.

My first session is tonight and I'm friggin excited.

16. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I use FitDay to track my calories, otherwise I would end up under-eating and starving myself. Considering I still under-eat sometimes when I'm tracking calories, I can imagine how easy it is to do it when not counting.

Anyway, I missed measurements last week, but I did lose 3.5 lbs in one week. As I suspected that was mostly water weight b/c today I was back at 228.5. Normally that would bother me, but I suspected that was the case. The great news is even though I only lost 2 lbs in two weeks I managed to gain to 2 lbs of lean mass while dropping 4 lbs of fat so the two lbs of body fat a week happened.

Fat Loss
    Week 1 - 2.03 lbs
    Weeks 2&3 - 4 lbs

I don't really think I gained 2 lbs of muscle in the past two weeks while losing 4 lbs of fat, but my measurements tell me that so I'm gonna go with it. My body tends to do strange things at times, or it could be that I suck at measuring, but I imagine it will all work out in the long run.

17. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

strange..

My trainer measured my waist at 37.5 so I changed my number to that.

everything else is the same though and even with all the extra calories I've been consuming I managed to lose 2lbs.

My body fat percentage climbed up , my est. body fat weight gained 4lbs, and my est. lean mass numbers droped almost 8lbs. yet my bmi dropped as well.

it's some weird readings I'll admit.

18. kidswole

kidswole Active Member

Upon recommendation of my trainer I started taking supplements which consist of protein, creatine, and multi-vitamins. I'm working hard, but I noticed that I gained a few pounds. I was told to expect this and that it should shed back off after a few weeks... i'm counting on it.

19. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I don't know where I'm at right now. I didn't follow my diet over the weekend b/c I was at home for Easter, and I didn't take any measurements or weigh myself. I'll try to do that tomorrow morning to see how much the weekend hurt me.

20. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I was down to 226 this morning. About two pounds in two weeks. Again my measurements are telling me I lost more fat than weight, but it's 2.11 lbs of fat loss. That puts me at 7.14 lbs total. It's been five weeks. I would like to be at 10 lbs lost by now, but I guess that means I just need to do better.