1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Jurassic Gladiator.....

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by HevyMetal, Nov 26, 2011.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

My user name is HevyMetal. I'm 64.

Took an extended layoff...but I knew I'd be coming back sooner or later.

Was into a bodybuilding routine before.....now I've changed up the goal somewhat.

Goal......Be agile.Be fit. Be strong. Develop functional "everday" strength.( a relative term...I want to be much stronger than before but I'm not interested in out-doing anybody else.)

I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 198lbs soaking wet right now.

Weightloss is not the biggest factor I'm interested in......although I might take it down to 190 or so.
    I have no trouble losing weight when I want to....so for me fatloss is not a struggle.

Did my layoff hurt me?........well of course the longer you layoff the more out-of-shape you get. But I have a job where I'm forced to do physical activity 5 days a week so I'm not as out-of-shape as those who have sedentary occupations.

I've been back at working out for several weeks now....and already it's all starting to come back.

I don't follow specific cookie-cutter programs.
    Without sounding arrogant I think I have enough knowledge acquired to taylor my own workouts to fit my goals.

Although...... "no man is an island" so I keep my mind (and EARS) open at all times and constantly gain more knowledge and advice on training and solutions.

A lot of the "old school" tried-and-true methods still stand on their own merit, there are also new things being discovered and I don't want to close my self off to that by walking around with blinders on.

We all live and (hopefully) learn as we move through life.

Until next post......cheers....:wave:

#1 HevyMetal, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. HevyMetal

Typical workout for me right now is a type of circuit.

I don't rest too much between sets. No "timed "rests.....just enough to catch the breath and recover a bit.

First....warmup on the elipt for two minutes.....one minute at med/high intensity, second minute at much harder intensity, When I come off I'm breathing harder and my heart rate is quite elevated. This flies in the face of popular opinion.....the idea being that I will lose strength for later lifts.

Bunk.

I'm only going two minutes.....and I don't lose any strength at all.

Next:- one set of standard pushups but not to failure....just to where it starts to become difficult. No explicit rep count because it could vary from workout to workout.

Then:- Kneeling Lat Pulldowns.....weight is already set up. This a warmup set.......8 reps.

Then:- Dumbell squats......warmup set.....8 reps. I have all kinds of dumbells and I could , if I wanted, rig dumbells that weigh over 150lbs or more apiece.

Then:- one arm Dumbell snatch/clean /raises from floor.....warmup at lower weight.....4 reps each.

Next:- Air skipping.....I have a rope but the ceiling clearance is not optimal so I "air" skip......but I hold a weight in each hand to mimick the resistance of the rope.

Then.......ab-wheel rollouts. First round is the type with knees on floor.
    reps are low....2 or 3. Done not fast but not too slow either.

Next:- take a 20lb medicine ball and move it in as many contorted planes and angles and positions as I can think of with two hands over and around my body.

Then :- Burpees......from floor......one set of 8 or 10.

Round two:- Bench.....low reps (2)...sets (2)...weight....heavy. Weight is already set up.

next:- Seated Row....low reps(2)...sets (2)...weight...heavy.

Then:- Dumbell Lunges....low reps( 5)....sets (2)...weight...challenging.

Next: Turkish get-ups.....low reps (2)....sets (1)....style (varies)...weight ( just to where I have to work for it.)

Then:- Air skipping...as described.....usually works out to about a two minutes at a good clip.

Next:- Ab wheel rollout.....this time wholebody rollouts.....to gradually improve you find a wall that you can roll/stop into, put tape on the floor as a mark for your feet and gradually increase the distance as you get more proficient. Low reps (2)......sets (1 or 2).

Next:- med ball rotations as described.

Then:----more floor Burpees. One set (8 or 10).

Round 3:-

Dips.......low reps (2)......sets (2 or 3)....weight ( varies).

Parallel grip chins:- Low reps (2)...sets (2)....weight(varies).

Gym-ring Flyes.....rings are level with a bench seat. put feet on bench and hands in rings. Body is level and horizontal. Try to perform a held Flye from this position. Only go so far within ability, because if you lose it you could tear a pec or fall....which is why the whole rig is only a couple of feet off the ground over a padded mat.....reps (1)...sets (1)
    weight...(body).

Next:- Squat-to-Press with assorted objects like heavy sandbag, Heavy dumbell plates etc. etc. I have all kinds of plates up to 50lb'ers
    and they can be bolted together through the holes to make way heavier.
    (reps) 3 to 5....sets (2).....weight (challenging).

Then:- Air skipping....one or two minutes.

Next:- Burpees.....one set...reps (varies).

Next:- Standing machine weighted cable rotational twists and /or cable Tug O'wars.
    Sometimes one -arm...sometimes two -arm. Reps....(3)...sets (2)...weight (as heavy as I can go).

Round 4:-

Farmers walks........I alternate the style.

Could be:- one hand dumbell walks with a dumbell that's heavy.
    or......or walk around with a heavy heavy sandbag held in front of me crooked in my arms. Doing this I will walk 10 paces or so then perform a squat......I do this for around 3 minutes. Usually the biceps are fried
    long before the legs.

Reverse Dumbell Flyes...one set (8 or 10 reps) just to make sure the rear Delts don't get off scot-free.

or ...sometimes I'll walk around with the weight overhead.

I also alternate with barbell O/H squats....for balance, form and "chain" development. I don't worry about what weight I'm using on this...as it's more about developing neural form than it is about the actual weight for me.

Sometimes I alternate with barbell deadlifts.....low reps....heavy.

On off days I do all kinds of stretching and "active recovery". I walk a lot.
    I only do this twice a week and the second session I go much lighter on the weights.
    (For now).

This routine can hammer the CNS if one isn't up for it.......so have to make sure my recovery etc .etc. is up to par.

If I was 40 years younger it would be a different story.

I've been this route before though......and I know I'll adapt/recover more efficiently as time goes by.

#2 HevyMetal, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck! Lemme guess, you dont have twitter, right? :)
    Still looks like you are a very fit person.

4. HevyMetal

I don't use Twitter......should I?

Thanks.....I'm pretty fit....I don't have any debilitating medical issues....and I'm not on medication of anykind.....

One of the first things I did was take the "pencil test" which is described
    in "Scrawny to Brawny", one of a whole bunch of books I've collected over time.

This test determines if a person should "tune up" the Rotator Cuffs.

Apparently I need to work on mine a little because the pencils face a tad inwards. They should be pointing straight ahead at natural rest.

I don't have any kind of pain at all.....but the Rotator Cuffs are the most imporatnt aspect of shoulder health....so I want to make sure mine are in good shape. I recommend it to anybody.

You grab a pencil in each hand and then let your arms hang naturally at your sides. The pencils should be pointing straight ahead.

If they are pointing inwards or outwards then the R/Cuffs need some specific exercises.

Cheers.....:)

5. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

HM: Glad to see you back and posting. I've always enjoyed your cerebral posts, longs as they might be at times. :lol: I read a whole lot more than I post here and only pop in from time to time. I've been keeping up with my workouts, I just don't post all the time.

Please keep it up to encourage some of the older guys out there. There is no reason why men cannot stay active as long as they don't have any debilitating medical issues (which working out can help avoid). My uncle is 86 years old, rides his Trikke for five miles in the morning, roller blades seven miles at noon, and rides his bike 10 miles in the evening. In between he does very light weight lifting. He also works out with his slide board in his basement, which is a great exercise that places very little stress on the joints.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

6. HevyMetal

Hi MauiDude!......

Thanks......I read most of your posts too.....:)

That is really impressive about your uncle.....:claplow:

Really,really impressive!......:bow:

Your transformation is also very impressive.....:tucool:

7. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Thanks HM. I couldn't have done without Mastover's help. He's taught me a lot, and like you, I want to know the why of what I am doing. I've always gone and researched the stuff he told me and probed deeper into it. Mastover has been spot on every time. The guy keeps up with the latest research. I have a lot of respect for him.

Its guys like you on this forum that have inspired me that keeping shape can be done even I approach my mid 50's and into the 60's and beyond. Unlike you, my job is primarily a desk jockey. I grew up in construction and as a result just took my physical fitness for granted since I was always in good shape. Now I have to work at it, but love every grueling minute.

8. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi HM. Looking forward to following your success. I'm always glad to see I'm not the oldest person I know embarking on a certain pursuit. Plus you know a lot more about this and I respect your input and knowledge.

We hired a new salesman where I work and before I met him, I heard one of the twenty-somethings refer to his as an older gentleman. So I immediately thought 65, 70. Certainly older than me. He turned out to be 53 and in good enough shape he doesn't look older than 45. Oh well. For all the "older gentlemen" of the fitness world, let's show 'em a thing or two.:flex:

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I'm in. I will try and keep up with you two.

10. HevyMetal

Cheers MauiDude, Leftyx, Carguy and everyone.......:tucool:

I remember when I was a young lad of 53.......those were the days....:dreamy:.....I'd just started junior-high and got my driver's license.....

I also think that Aram (Mastover) is unquestionably a "go-to" guy for top-notch results.

I always remember what Gene Kiniski ( a famous wrestler back in the day) used to say on t.v..........."Young men SHOULD work out.....old men MUST workout".

I don't find too much difference in training "ability" as I get older.

However, "recovery time " is a key factor in the equation.
    Ironically...when I was bodybuilding I didn't worry about flexibility and mobility issues as much as I am now in my current training regimen.

Affter doing what I'm doing for awhile...it became apparent that flexibility and mobility is more important than ever.

Some of the exercises I'm doing currently seem to DEMAND stretching/flex routines on the off days.

e.g.:- skipping tightens up the calves, which in turn messes me up on O/H squats when I do them.
    So I'm doing hip/ankle/calf/hamstring stretches all the time now.

But I don't do them pre-workout....only later or on off days.

11. HevyMetal

Posting my personal collection of "go-to" books:-

(1)" The Cortisol Connection-Why Stress Makes You Fat"- by Shawn Talbott,Ph.d......very good.

(2) "The Fat Counter"----by Annette B. Natow & Jo-Ann Heslin.

(3) "The Protein Counter"----by same authors.

(4)"Eat Fat,Be Healthy- When A Low-Fat Diet can Kill You"---by Mathew J.Bayan

(5) "Complete Nutrition Reference Handbook"-by Mark Bricklin and the editors of Prevention magazine.

(6) "Burke's Law"---by Paul T. Burke---good info for older lifters.

(7) "Pilates & Yoga"-----by Judy Smith,Emily Kelly, Jonathan Monks. Lots of how-to pictures....I stretch lots after workouts and on off days.
    Very good.

(8) "Stretching Scientifically"---by Thomas Kurz. Very good pics/info on Dynamic stretching techniques as well as passive.

(9) "The Complete Book of Abs"---by Kurt Brungardt----exercises,routines and pics for abs until Hell wouldn't have 'em. very good info.

(10) "Strength Training Anatomy"---by Frederic Delavier. Good book with pics showing what muscles work where in an exercise.

(11) "Scrawny To Brawny"---by Michael Mejia & John Berardi. Overall very good and in the first part of the book there are a bank of personal tests that you can do to determine your genetic and other abilities before you undertake to train. Good pic demos.

(12) "The Naked Warrior"--by Pavel Tsatsouline. Get stronger with Pavel's one-arm pushups and pistol squats. Lots of "technique" info.

(13) "Super Joints"----by Pavel Tsatsouline. Get flexible with Pavel, the Russian no-nonsense trainer.

(14) "Training For Warriors"----by Martin Rooney. MMA-style exercises/pics, techniques. Just when you thought you'd heard of every exercise out there....

(15) "Men's Health POWER TRAINING"----by Robert Dos Remedios.
    Get stronger and /or bigger.....excellent book,lots of pics,exes, routines
    and info with an eye toward strength.

(16) " The New High Intensity Training" by Ellington Darden-- say what you like about the "HIT Jedi"...but there's something about this book that calls you back...
    Lots of good info whether you are into HIT or not.

(17) "1001 Muscle-Building Tips"--- by Robert Kennedy. Lots of training tips and perks.

(18) "Power To The People"--by Pavel Tsatsouline. Welcome, comrades, to Russian strength secrets.

(19) "The Ultimate Guide To Conditioning" by Mark Hatmaker. Aimed at MMA fighters, this book contains a ton of exercises and how-to pics for conditioning,agility, speed etc.

(20) "The Warrior Diet'---by Ori Hofmekler. An eye opener on eating habits and nutrition......very good.

If your wife or girlfriend works out:-

"Strength Training For Women"----by Joan Pagano. Lots of pics, easy to understand.

(21) "Secrets Of Advanced Bodybuilders"---by Health for Life.
    This book is a tad "vintage" but I still like it...although you will never catch me doing a Leg Extension.

#11 HevyMetal, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  12. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Wow man, thank you for the library. :claphigh::bb: BTW I have the HIT book by the man.

13. HevyMetal

This last week I cut the workouts from twice a week to once a week.

My normal second workout I spread out over the week on different days.

The purpose of this was to "Grease the groove".

Most of the reps on any weight exercise were reduced to one or two while doing this. But the frequency was increased.

I did Deadlifts and/or such things as Lunges everyday.

The weight was neither max or to failure.

Throughout the days I would do one or two chins for example.....and then 3 hours later do another couple etc.etc. same on other exes.

Carefully watching that I don't overtrain on anything.

"Greasing The Groove" is all about training the neural pathways for strength.

#13 HevyMetal, Dec 7, 2011
  14. HevyMetal

Using Pavel Tsatsouline's "Super Joints" book when I wake up.

#14 HevyMetal, Dec 8, 2011
  15. HevyMetal

Muscles respond from the first day you start training....but it can take months or longer for the neural pathways of the body to "fully" adapt to specific exercises and protocols.

Muscles are only one of several factors involved for strength development.

16. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Are you lifting it or just carrying it around? :lol: Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

17. HevyMetal

Actually I use it to throw at the friggin' alarm clock.....:)

Flexibility is starting to come back BIG-time since I've been doing the routines.......I never miss a day......they are going to be done daily and that's it....period.

A lot of this is "prep' work for later on in the overall plan when I go heavier on some lifts and change the routine up a bit.

But the flexibility work will remain part and parcel throughout.....

#17 HevyMetal, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  18. HevyMetal

Last Friday was a complete workout.

Sat/Sun.....R&R

Monday....Did some Deads, Kneeling Widegrip Lat Pulldowns, and :-

Straight Leg Hanging Raises:-

Some were close -grip parallel (hands)......this also works biceps ,Lats and there is more power to pull the legs up high. Also some Widegrip style.....a little tougher to get the legs way up on these.

One arm Turkish get-ups...dumbell
    One-arm Farmers Walk....heavy dumbell
    Overhead object walk around, arms extended
    One-arm walk around with a heavy sandbag crooked in one arm.

Committed blasphemy by doing a machine exercise:-----Seated Flyes using elbow pads........:rolleyes:.......reps were sets of 5 .....want some extra meat/strength on the Chest.
    Also did some pushdowns that are sort of like a Triceps pushdown but not quite the same.

Earlier in the day (Monday) did some more Hanging Leg Raises
    and some bodyweight lunges.

Today.........Eliptical (one minute warmup, 2 minutes almost flat-out)

Then....simulated raquetball (easy to visualize a game and opponent), continually switching hands with a small raquet that I made out of plywood just to do this.

Then skipping with a rope.

Also Rotator Cuff exes with dumbells.

#18 HevyMetal, Dec 13, 2011
  19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Hey man, crazy workouts. They're so colorful. I love the descriptions. Keep it up. Hey btw I got that book Secrets of Advanced Bodybuilders. I like how they have a short part on theory and then exercises.

20. HevyMetal

Cheers!......:)

Leftyx......Where did you manage to snag a copy of that book?
    I think it came out in the late 80's......glad you like it.

Well......I retired today......so no more pulling the oars while they bang the drum......:claphigh:

In my job I would walk easy a minimum of 5 miles a day and climb minimum of 200 stair steps as well as a good amount of "heft" work.
    5 days a week.

So now that I'm not doing it anymore I don't know if that will make workouts more positive or not.
    I have a basement gym with all sorts of stuff in it, so I imagine the eliptical is going to see more action. And there's no shortage of trails and roads of all description plus hills and mountains around here.

I did find that repetitive moves in my job like walking and stairclimbing with no extra load didn't increase leg/size strength any. It just meant I could walk farther and climb more steps.
    I probably burned a fair share of calories in my ex-job so I'm going to have to factor that into daily meals.
    All the various physical things were probably good for circulation and general conditioning so I'll have to factor that in too.

I have a mountain bike but it hasn't seen much use (yet). I'll probably put it in the back of the truck and hit some trails on a regular basis.

And I'll eat better now........because I have more time/equipment to do meals and stuff. We had very limited amenities/time at the workplace
    to prepare anything good.

:)