1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Incredible Shrinking Glaive!

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by Glaive, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

Ok, well I've been around here for awhile now, lurking for months and then starting to post pretty regularly late last year. This board and this community in general, particularly great people like John, 1FastGTX, Doordude42, Kino, and Mastover have really helped keep me motivated as well as helped me on my journey to learning more about exercise, nutrition, and everything in between. I've become so enamored with all of this that I'm considering pursuing a degree in Nutritional Science. I really can't thank everyone here enough. I hope all of you realize what a unique community this is. There are so few places you can go with so much open information exchange without all the bickering and flaming that normally abounds on internet message boards.

Bah, I'm rambling. Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to finally post up some photos of my ongoing transformation.

I started out near the beginning of 2004, fresh out of a 4-year relationship that ended very badly, my whole life turned upside down, a serious case of acid reflux (as in if I didn't get it under control I'd have to have surgery), and a body that greatly resembled the Michelin Man.

Here's some shots of me at 245 lbs. (Note: I cannot recommend highly enough that people take good "before" pictures. I was so ashamed of myself that I always hid from cameras, and now I wish I had some better pictures of how bad I really was. Also, I am sucking in my stomach as hard as is humanly possible in these):

Attached Files:

2. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

From that point I started reigning in my diet (removing junk food, eating more often) and hitting the weights. Over time I refined my diet further, starting counting calories, and starting doing cardio (first LISS and no HIIT) along with weights 4 days a week.

I'm now in the midst of my second long cutting cycle (I bulked briefly in between). I reached a low point a couple of months back of 162 pounds, but was sidelined from exercise for a while due to a medical issue which I have now recovered from. During that time I gained back some weight, but it doesn't appear to have been all fat because I am back up to 170 now but my calipers actually read lower than they did before (according to them I'm at 13% body fat). My goal right now is to lose another 15 or so pounds, hopefully getting down to about 8% body fat before I go on my first major bulk:

(Also note: I am NOT sucking in in these pics. Yay for lots and lots of ab work :) )

Attached Files:

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow! :eek:

Amazing transformation and amazing ink, Glaive! Your shoulders and upper chest look particularly huge. You're gonna look wicked at 8%. :nod: Damn. Seventy six pounds down. That's incredible. :bow:

4. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of my shoulders. They were a particularly weak part of my physique, both aesthetically and literally, so I've made a point of targetting them to try and de-wussify them.

They also help to widen out my upper torso and offset the giant size of my head :lol:

5. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

Great work on the body and on the back wall. You have a keen taste for art and it shows. Think of your body as a work in progress. Weights are your tools to work the composition. Food is your paint so to speak.

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

props man, that's some good stuff right there

especially removing the lip piercings ;)

7. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

Hey hey, now. I'm still pierced, I just can't wear my facial jewelry anymore due to returning to the normal workforce (I was a professional body piercer back in the day).

As for the art, thanks for the compliments! As you can see, I've still got a ways to go before my current stuff is finished. As for the stuff on the back wall, that's my girlfriend's work. She's actually a ceramicist, but she dabbles in photography, painting, printmaking, and drawing (especially figure drawing).

I look forward to when I get wealthy enough to retire, at which point I can put all my piercings back in and tattoo my head :D

8. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

WOW!

Putting before and after head-shots together you can sort of tell it is the same person...

Excellent work and tremendous results. :claplow:

9. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Amazing transformation!!!!!

You have this "strong guy" build, you look awesome!

And I like in particular your lest hands tattoos! :D

10. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

:D awesome stuff. Love the "Walk Away" tats. "Look here" would have been funnier though :lol:

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Those shoulders are far from wussy now!
    :tucool:

12. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Well-Known Member

Glaive man, you look awesome!

Seriously, I see two different people. Obviously your physique is very much improved, but you can see the confidence in your face man.

Nice work. :tucool: