1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

the growth of rise

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Rise, Nov 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Rise

Rise Active Member

well, almost 8 months after joining the forums i've decided to start up my own journal. i have started to develop some strength goals that i'd love to achieve in the coming months/years. so here are my goals, and my story as i go.

Goals:
    250lb bench press
    25 Pull ups
    25 Chin ups
    10 Muscle ups
    1 bw pull up
    1 bw dip
    300lb squat
    300lb dead
    10xbw pistol squats
    10xbw DB military press
    10x3 Handstand pushups
    sub-6 minute mile
    20 minute 5k

Current Ability: parenthesis are theoretical maximums from here until i try my 1RM for each exercise. i will edit this as i progress.
    (210lb) bench press
    22 pull ups
    22 chin ups
    4 Muscle ups
    15% bw pull up
    33% bw dip
    225lb (x8) squat
    275lb deadlift
    1x pistol squat
    120x6 db military press
    10x1 handstand pushups
    8.5 minute mile
    30m 5k

My Starting Stats:
    5'9
    154lbs
    12.5" biceps

Current Stats:
    5'9
    151lbs
    13.25" biceps
    ??? waist
    ??? thigh
    ??? chest

if you have any all-around fitness goals, please let me know and if i think its interesting i'll add it to my list! this is just the first things i could think of based on what i can do now, what i'd like to be able to do, and what i've seen other people on the forums are aiming to do (that i found interesting).

Before Pictures:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Current Pictures:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next time i'll have my fiancee take the pictures... she just wasn't home at the time.

#1 Rise, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. Rise

Rise Active Member

Well today's workout was fantastic! i did the back-focused lower split today and i blew my old max away. the most i had previously dead lifted in a rep set was 205 (that's the most i've ever tried) and today i threw 2 45s on each end of the bar for 225 lbs. i finished the full 10 reps and i'm pretty sure i could have done more weight. the hardest part of it all is my hands hurt so much. there were lifting straps at the station and i tried them but i don't think i used them correctly. i started to lose circulation in my hands or something and i managed to get blisters in the middle of my palms. i guess i still need to work on that a bit... it also looks like a couple of my goals aren't really a reach anymore since my theoretical deadlift is already @ my goal... not that i can actually do it or have tried to do it, but if i'm that close, i need to go for something higher.

i can't wait for friday's workout. it's chest day and since a friend from work has been going to the gym with me, i feel comfortable doing more weight. i'm even going to use a barbell which is a rarity for me.

i never used to get excited about going to the gym. i feel like it's really becoming a part of my life, and i enjoy it. i feel good, i feel strong, and i want to keep going!

i need to go eat some more before bed... :eat: Seacrest, OUT!

3. Rise

Rise Active Member

my back & hammies are a wee bit sore today, but i guess that's to be expected after the workout i had yesterday. but it still makes me feel like if i'm only getting sore after pushing it that hard that it really is time to start "raising the bar" both figuratively & literally and really start to progress. i feel like in the next couple of months i'm really going to see some serious weight lifting gains for some reason - i hope that it turns out to be the case!

also, i bought an engagement ring today :eek:

4. Rise

Rise Active Member

I've been doing a lot of reading other people's journals lately. I've come to the realization that I really need to stop and look at what i'm eating. Throughout my bulk, i've just been eating a lot of whatever. sometimes it's clean, sometimes it's not. i've been lifting since april and i've made great progress in the gym, but i feel like i'm still holding myself back by not learning enough about food and more importantly, not implementing what i've already learned about food. i've thought about the cut that i'll have coming to me in february, and i just realized that i have no idea how to know how much i should be eating. i'm just getting used to what has been working for me and kind of sticking to that...

For some reason, I just don't know what to do. i've read a ton on it, i've read all the beginner stickies twice, and i've even been able to give other people advice on what to eat (on occasion). i guess it's time that i try to give myself some of that advice and stop being a hypocrite of sorts. but even now, i'm not sure where to start. i've tried writing up food plans but i don't follow them, other than trying to eat a lot and trying to hit my calories. it's frustrating.

so i'll try. i know oats are good, but i don't really like them other than in my protien shake. so if i have a protien shake every day (after my workout on gym days) I'll be heading in the right direction (i think). i put maybe a half a cup in them now. i also take my protien shake with 1% lowfat milk, and i think that's pretty good as well. that's 1 of 2 consistent meals i think i can have every day, and it's basically the afternoon snack or evening meal depending on when i get to the gym or whatever. 1 meal down, 5 to go!

next, i'll attack 2nd breakfast. 2nd breakfast i already generally eat the same stuff every day - 2 eggs & whole wheat toast w/ butter & juice. i don't know if this is really an ideal meal, but it's what is available at the cafeteria and seems healthy, so i eat it. i could use some help on the quality of that meal, so i'll look into it.

the only other meal that i can predict in anyway would be first breakfast which often ends up as a cup of OJ & my multivitamin. i really don't know what to eat for this meal though. and now i'm lost. i don't know what to eat for lunch, dinner, and my snack meal other than i obviously need some meat and veggies in there, somewhere. but lunch tends to end up as nothing more than some sort of sandwich like a tuna melt or chicken salad on a roll or something along the lines of those items. i don't know how good any of that is for you, and i don't think that it's the healthiest of options either.

i've rambled on enough for now i guess. i need to do some thinking.

5. Rise

Rise Active Member

i just finished my chest/tri's workout for today and man, am i wiped out!

BB Bench
    warm up w/ bar
    warm up @ 95lbs
    135lbsx10reps
    145x10
    155x10 <-failure

BB Incline Bench
    95x8
    105x10
    115x8 <-failure

DB Flies
    25x10
    30 crunches
    25x10
    30 crunches
    25x10
    30 crunches

Dips
    184x8 <-failure
    184x5 <-failure

Tricep Pushdowns
    90x10
    100x10
    100x10

Muscle Ups:
    0 <-big failure :(

so today was a bit of a weird day for me. first off- this is the FIRST time i've done BB bench press since i've started lifting. so i do my warm ups and kind of expect to push up some serious weight since i can do 160 w/ dumb bells. well, that wasn't the case as you can see. i actually couldn't bench as much with a BB as i can with DBs and i went into the work out today feeling absolutely great! that said, i did push myself to the limit one way or the other and i had a great work out today, i'm just so confused as to why i can't bench as much with a BB compared to DBs.

the next part of the day that was weird for me was adding an extra exercise in - incline bench press. i haven't really done 2 bench exercises in a row like that before but for some reason i thought it was a good idea. maybe it is, it confused my body at the very least. i didn't put up very heavy weight for that, partly because i was still kind of spent from the BB bench, but i still went to failure on those as well. it actually felt pretty go to do them to be honest.

anyway, after that i realized my arms were dead, but i tried to do some weighted dips anyway. since my gym is retarded and doesn't have a simple weight belt, i had to use the weighted dip machine where i literally need to seat belt myself in to not get propelled straight out of the seat like the glass elevator in charlie and the chocolate factory. well, i threw on the same weight that i started with last time i did these and i barely could do any! my arms were shot, big time. so i did what i could and finished out with tricep pull downs. a bit of a weird day, but a nice change as well. maybe next time i'll start with dips!

i had a protein shake so far since then and i am starting to get hungry for some real food. i think i'm going to pick up some chinese because i have nothing in the house to cook... then again i'm so tired i don't feel like driving so maybe i'll just make a pb&j or eat some eggs.

i can't lift my arms.

6. Rise

Rise Active Member

well, no work out today, but i'm trying to find a way to keep on track with my diet all the time. i went food shopping but the place i went to didn't even have a lot of the stuff i was hoping to pick up. so i guess i'll be going food shopping again tomorrow. i've been eating a lot of eggs lately and i'm worried that i'm eating more than are healthy for me since i eat them whole - yolk and all. today i had 3 hard boiled eggs but i made sure only to eat the whites today, and i had them with edamame. tonight my fiancee is cooking some chicken/broccoli/rice thing and it looks/smells good except that she is using white rice... oh well. so i've managed to stay mostly clean today.

so i'm wondering how much sleep really matters to a muscle growth. i imagine it does matter a lot, i just don't know why. i usually get 6-7 hours of sleep during the week (occasionally less) and 8-12 on the weekends. i'm going to try and get myself to 8-9 hours a night during the week and at the same on the weekends. i'm tired of being tired all the time during the week and if it is affecting my work outs, i'm really selling myself short since its something that's so easy to do.

squats tomorrow, can't wait.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It matters a lot, but you are probably OK. Try and get the 7 on the weekdays. More than 8 on the weekends is not helping as much as getting the 7 consistently.

8. Rise

Rise Active Member

i don't know why, but its so hard to get that much during the week. i have to be up at 6 and it's just so hard for me to get to bed before 11 for some reason. sometimes it's the tv, but other times i just can't shut my brain off soon enough. sleep is such a "simple" thing but i have so much to learn about it yet. i have a lot of trouble turning my brain off and i've always been told i have an overactive mind - whatever that means. but i am going to try getting 7-8 hrs on a much more consistent basis.

i'm drunk and i'm going to bed now. hungover squats tomorrow, can't wait.

9. Rise

Rise Active Member

Squats today were BRUTAL, it was awesome! bulgarian split squats were even worse, but those weren't so awesome... just painful really.

Squats:
    warm up @ 95lbs.
    155lbsx10reps
    175x10
    185x10
    205x10 <-PR

Cable pull throughs:
    90x10
    100x10
    105x10

Bulgarian splits:
    50x10 (each leg)
    50x10
    50x10

Seated calf raises:
    50x10
    50x10
    60x10

Leg throw thingies:

the leg throw thingies are when you lay on the mat and a partner stands by your head. you grab onto their ankles and raise your legs up to them and they proceed to throw your legs down at any angle they like. it's fun, i like to try and throw my partner for a loop by faking left and right :lol:

i just ate a pb&j and i'll be having my protein shake in maybe an hour. then for dinner i'll be cooking this greek disk called Pasticcio (not sure if i spelled it right). finally i have 3 hard boiled eggs left from yesterday or the day before and i'll be eating those at some point today.

i am wiped out, but i need to put up christmas lights and cook dinner and clean and get gas and go food shopping and :sleep:

10. Rise

Rise Active Member

man, i am hurting from the past few days. with squats on sunday my ass is sore, with icy snow shoveling my back is sore and with installing a garage door opener my neck/ego is sore. i'm debating putting my pull up workout off until tomorrow to get an extra day of recovery in, especially since i only got about 6 hours of sleep last night an i'm feeling it big time today. then again, i love pull up day and i'd hate to wait. what would you do?

i'm sitting here dreaming about breakfast since i woke up late and didn't have time to make anything this morning other than some OJ & my multi.

on another note, i need to make a chiropractor appointment. oh and a doctors appointment. oh and a dentist appointment. my tooth is killing me :(

so garage door openers are about the most complicated thing i've ever tried to install. what a pain in the ass, seriously. everything needs to be modified after basic assembly is completed. i had to make my own brackets for hanging the motor from the ceiling, for hanging the rail to the wall above the door (twice), and i had to take my door apart to cut off the spring support brackets on the door that were for some reason welded together on top of being bolted together. taking the springs off is a pain as well, and those doors must weight near 200lbs (without the spring). the first time we ran it, the door ripped the wall bracket straight out, even with the giant lag bolts we used. so we had to re-make the bracket to accommodate new lag bolt holes. 3 hours later, we finally got the damn thing running and properly adjusted. on the plus side, when we finished, we got to watch the pat's win it with 44 seconds left on the clock :) brady is 1 lucky bitch.

11. Rise

Rise Active Member

Well, it seems as though I am coming down with a sore throat. I'm guessing its from shoveling snow in the 15 degree weather last night for 2 hours. Since I'm so tired and sore from the past few days I should probably give my body an extra day's rest and try to avoid this sore throat as best as possible. I had gone as far as making plans to meet my buddy at the gym, but it just isn't worth it to put myself out of the gym for even longer by not taking care of myself. So chicken noodle soup it is, and pullups hopefully tomorrow.

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

so i woke up with a full blown sore throat. i'm sucking down tea & cough drops all day and I need to get over this asap. not only do i hate sore throats, i hate things that prevent me from going to the gym, especially when i really want to go. son of a bitch.

edit: i've been thinking about it, and should a sore throat stop me from going to the gym?

anyone know some good ways of getting over a sore throat?

13. Rise

Rise Active Member

amazingly, i woke up and the sore throat was gone! i am one lucky s.o.b. i hate sore throats so much, they are just miserable. so i ended up taking off from the gym yesterday and i'm glad i did if that's what made me feel better. i think it was a good move since my body really needed a rest anyway, i feel great today.

so today is pull ups day which is for some reason paired with my shoulder workout. maybe i have it all backwards? i can't remember what work out i'm supposed to do now... oh no, that's right. i was doing shoulders/back and pullups are my back work out. i wonder if chin ups or pull ups are better to target your back with, hmmm.

back to work, for now.

14. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Ibuprofen works wonders for me for a sore throat, only for 4-6 hrs though. (sry for the late reply, glad you're feeling better :) )

I'm no expert but I think pull ups hit your back more than chins.

#14 Lo0p, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  15. Rise

Rise Active Member

thanks for the info either way... i'll keep it in mind for the next one since i'm guaranteed to have one again sooner or later.

is that you in your avatar? if it is, you look f*ckin ripped

16. Rise

Rise Active Member

tonight's workout was fan-f*ckintastic. i did 50 pull ups today, not in a row though. i had a serious pump going in my arms and i hit a new PB today in a couple of lifts:

Pullups:
    warm up @ 75lbs lat pull down
    bw x 10 overhand
    bw x 10 neutral
    bw x 10 overhand

Military press (dbs):
    90lbs x 10 reps
    100x10
    120x6 <-failure/PB

Shrugs (BB):
    135x10
    bw x 10 neutral pullups
    155x10
    bw x 10 neutral pullups
    175x10 <-PB

Front raises:
    15sx10
    20sx10
    25sx10

Side raises:
    15sx10
    20sx10
    20sx10

great workout, i thoroughly enjoyed this one. after the workout, i went to the mall to pick up "the ring" that had just been sized. you can see it here. let me know if you like it!

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I agree with your observation. There is just so much information, and much of it conflicting. For your weight, you already have great stats on what you can now lift. When you reach the goals you set for yourself, you will be super strong. What is the exercise "muscle up", never heard of it.

18. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thanks, Shamie. I've just figured that I'll slowly get better and better at figuring out how my body reacts to the different types of food that I eat. I think as long as I eat healthy, I'll be OK this way.

Muscle ups are when you do a pull up and when you are in the pull up position with your hands at your upper chest, you roll your shoulders forward and perform a dip, ending with the pull up bar at your waist. there are a few videos on youtube demonstrating how to do them, but i can't access youtube from work to give you the link unfortunately. it's one of those "feats of strength" that I would love to be able to perform. If you figure out how to do one, let me know!

19. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Don't forget military presses (as a goal, I see you are doing them in your workout...). Working on your shoulders will *REALLY* help with your BB bench press...

20. Rise

Rise Active Member

good call. i've modified my goals to include repping some bw military presses. i prefer DB mil presses over BB though, ergonomically.