1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Gorilla Needs Some Help

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by HalfGorilla, May 2, 2010.

1. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

Well, I guess I'm posting this because things have slowed down a bit recently, so it's definitely time to kick it up a notch.

So my current weight is around 110kgs (242.5lbs) and my body is around 15.something%

I would say I have 4 options at this point:

1. Drop my calories bit a bit.
    2. Add 1 or 2 cardio sessions per week.
    3. Do both 1 and 2.
    4. Buy the Ab-Matic-Pro 4000 and get ripped in only 5 minutes per day (it's on TV, it must work, right?).
    What would you folks experienced in fat loss do?

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

Personally... I would drop the calories by 200 / day

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sorry, I should have reviewed your journal. I'm not really all that experienced with fat loss either. But here's what I'm curious about:

What are your calories at right now?
    How long have you been cutting?

Any of your suggesteions could help you get off your plateau, but if you're already at a significant deficit, I'm concerned that they might just slow your metabolism more. You might want to take a break from cutting, put your calories back up to near where maintenance should be (maybe 14-15X your weight in pounds) and keep lifting heavy. After several weeks, go back to a deficit.

4. HalfGorilla

Thanks for that... I might need to.

Calories now are at about 2900, and I have been cutting for about 18 weeks.

According to this site - http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/456/calorie-calculations/ - The 14x-15x should be calculated using LBM, so that puts my maintenance at about 3000.

So I have a huge 100 calorie defecit :)

It looks like I need to drop my calories by a fair bit to get things moving again. I think I'll drop 400-500 per day and see how that goes, and when things slow down again, I'll up them back to maintenance.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've always advised the 15X based on Tom Venuto's quick method. I just mentioned it to you to find your ballpark potential maintenance, which you can estimate from any of the formula in the stickies.

A fast and easy method to determine calorie needs is to use total current body weight times a multiplier.

Fat loss = 12 - 13 calories per lb. of bodyweight
    Maintenance (TDEE) = 15 - 16 calories per lb. of bodyweight
    Weight gain: = 18 - 19 calories per lb. of bodyweight

I'm pretty sure your deficit is a lot more than 100 calories. :nod: What method did you use to determine it in the first place? Are you doubting that now? I think the Harris Benedict formula will give you a better estimate of your maintenance, and you can play around with the deficit as you wish.

Actually, I can't make heads or tails of that math. He says his formula applies to women as well as men. So he claims that if I had 100 pounds of LBM at 12% body fat (114 pounds total body weight) it would take me 1500 calories to maintain, and if I have 100 pounds of LBM at 22%, (128 pounds of total body weight) it would take me 1300 calories to maintain?

:confused:

That goes against the science I know. Did I make a mistake in the math somewhere? I've been pretty close to both of those body compositions before, and I could eat a lot more calories in the second case without gaining than in the first. :eat: It was more like 1700 in the first case, and 1900 in the second.

Personally, I think 18 weeks is a LONG time to be cutting, and taking a break from your deficit and from working out could be just what you need to jump start your fat loss.

On the other hand, if you're ready to knuckle down, sweat a little more, crave a little more, and push yourself harder to see the results you really want to see, then I don't see anything wrong with that either. :)

:gl:

6. HalfGorilla

I used the formula on the Roman Fitness Systems page. To be honest, my caloric intake during my whole life has never been that high. But saying that, I haven't ever been lifting like I have now, so who knows.

Thanks heaps for your reply. It's given me some stuff to think about and I'll be updating my journal with a new diet plan and some other stuff too.

7. Wrenn

Wrenn Active Member

Working out BMR definately seems more like an art than a science. That said, I am 39 years old, 180cm, and 107kg. The 15xBW method says I need 3500 calories for maintanence while the Harris-Benedict method says I need 2166 calories for maintanence so the methods can vary a lot.

From my own experience in cutting for the past 4 months, the second method is a lot more accurate for me (though my maintanence from watching logs seems to be closer to 2400), and I have been using ~2000 calories for weight loss and losing 0.5-1kg per week on average.

My suggestion is start with whatever BMR value your using now, watch your progress for a week or two, adjust calories slightly, repeat until you find the right numbers, as they will vary a lot from person to person.

8. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

On your Harris Benedict number, you then need to multiply that by an activity factor, which would take you closer to the 15X BW number you have.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Try taking your calories to around 2500 a day(your natural inclinations are right), your macros look ok, and you could cycle your calories a little.

You may need to up you cardio a bit or do a different type of cardio that burns more calories.

I am close to my goal of 85kg, at around 8% down from 107kgs. Along the way there have been a couple of little plateau's. If you plateau then you need to work a little harder or eat a little less.

10. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Do one and two. Drop calories by 200 and do 15 minute cardio 3 days a week. Do something that will make you sweat and get a good heart rate going.

Try for two weeks and see where it takes you.

Calories = Use them or lose them.

11. HalfGorilla

Hi folks, somehow I missed the last lot or replies...

Currently I am eating around 2500 calories per day, and doing 3 cardio sessions. 1 or which I would consider HIIT - hiking in the hills nearby to be exact, with a weight vest. All the up and down is great for getting the heart racing, followed by some recovery with the downhill portions.

12. mcfc98

mcfc98 Well-Known Member