1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The "Get a Life" Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Pete5, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

This is fitness related in the sense that you will have more time to do other things and be more productive.

As a personal challenge to myself and others who may want to join, I am proposing the challenge to spend less time on the computer, watching TV, playing gaming consoles, computer games, using your phone, etc. I never watch much TV, never play video games, and I almost never use my cell phone so that isn't a problem, but I do waste a lot of time surfing the web. It's not a big problem when I'm in school, but during the summer I get bored and it turns into a problem.

To hold myself accountable I will post my total time spent on the computer each day. The plan is to get it down to an hour or less per day. I may also post things I accomplished during the day with all the extra time I'll have.

2. George

George Senior Member

I'm in. :)

One hour a day at the computer for me as well. Although I don't think spending less time at the computer automatically constitutes having a life.

3. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Sounds good George. Although it automatically doesn't constitute a life, it does allow you to do more productive things. Sitting behind a damn computer all day is not a productive day, assuming it isn't your job, then it's understandable.

4. George

George Senior Member

I think I have the hour thing for the day. The computer's been on for half an hour and I plan on turning it off in another half. :nod:

5. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I was on the computer for about one hour and forty-five minutes today. Oh well, it's still better than usual and I did get a lot done.

-Worked for two hours in the morning
    -Mowed a lawn for two hours in the afternoon
    -Finished a thirty minute conditioning medley
    -Started watching a Physics lecture on my Ipod
    -Layed out in the sun for 50 minutes

6. George

George Senior Member

Hey Pete, what helped yesterday was that I made a list of things I wanted to do while on the computer (update training log, look a few things up, etc.) and then did those things. Once I finished I realized that I really didn't have anything to do on the computer that was productive and just turned it off at the 1 hour mark.

I think I'll stop at an hour today. :nod:

7. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

That's a good idea George.

Today was an excellent day for me. I was only on for an hour today.

-I finished the book Friday Night Lights
    -I played basketball for an hour and thirty minutes
    -I ran for forty minutes on the trails

8. George

George Senior Member

I've been failing hard for the past few days. :o This usually happens when I decide to do something like change my diet and then end up reading a bunch of articles, logs, and playing around with Fitday for hours. Hopefully I'll have everything squared away by tomorrow and can get back to an hour a day.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You could make a list of all the things you're missing out on by being at the computer. And then if the non-computer options are more valuable than the computer options, then it'll be easier to see that you should choose them.

But as long as reading articles and logs, and optimizing your diet are as rewarding as all possible alternatives, then I don't see a reason to call it failing. :confused:

10. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

The past few days have been terrible for me as well. The damn computer is so addicting.
    I'm going to give that a try.

11. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Computer is how I relax, but if you really want to get off it for awhile go on a couple dates, girls really suck up ur time :mad:

edit: Obviously because I'm super way max hardcore, bro(I realized how this post came across lol)

#11 Big_D, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  12. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

..and in some cases they suck up your $$$ money $$$.:blank:

Anyways, today I was on for about an hour and forty-five minutes. I went to the dentist today, did some conditioning, and read a little.

13. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Haven't really been on due to basketball tournaments, so that's good.

14. dominozguy

dominozguy Active Member

I am doing the same =-)

I will try to bring it down to 3 hrs a day.

So an easy way to measure this for me is just using my laptop battery =-P , I unplug it and only use it for as long as the battery lasts.

I'll try to remember to post here at the end of the month--in the meanwhile I just added this to my food/workout log. So I'll note down how long I spend on the computer everyday.

15. George

George Senior Member

I'm bringing this thread back because I need to work on this.

My first goal is to make it to March 7th while not spending more than an hour a day browsing the internet.

16. George

George Senior Member

Today looks like it will be a success. One day at a time.

17. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

The problem for me on this is, as a journalist, my entire day is nearly spent on a computer, especially on the Internet. I do a lot of investigation using Internet tools like Lexis-Nexis, voter registration databases, birthday lookups, assessor and auditor records, etc. etc. I also run a political blog for my newspaper and surf the Web looking for interesting political stories from all sides of the aisle that I think will get people chatting and to foster community discussion about issues at the local, state and national level.

I did, however, make a New Year's resolution that for the first two months of the year (March 1 being the finish line) that I wouldn't go on Facebook or MySpace nor a favorite blog I participate in from my hometown that is extremely popular. And I said I'd only use the Internet to do things in terms of health research and whatnot, like JSF and my journal.

I have only half accomplished this resolution. I haven't been on facebook or myspace or the blog. But I have started reading news again at home. I just can't help it.

18. Azure

Azure Active Member

I think it would be a better idea to start by cutting down on the non-productive things we all do on the computer.

Surfing the web can be productive if we're constantly reading about fitness/nutrition or something else that is educational.

Playing games, watching movies, not so productive.

19. George

George Senior Member

Day two is looking like a pass for me as well.
    I was pretty productive for over 14 hours straight today and actually managed to do everything I wanted. This is unheard of for me.
    Friday and the weekend are going to be tough.

20. George

George Senior Member

I was two minutes over the one hour limit yesterday. I don't feel like counting this as a fail so I'll just go two minutes under today.