1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Clean Eats and Sweat Story

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by bellezza, Jun 4, 2006.

1. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

I NEED YOU GUYS TO KEEP MY BUTT IN GEAR! I do a pretty good job maintaining a healthy/average body, however, to take it to the next level, I think I'm really going to need some motivation. It's hard when none of my friends are disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise. They already think I'm crazy, and I'm not even as strict with myself as I'd like to be. I'm hoping that hanging around here, and talking to more fitness minded people will help keep me sane on my way to my goals.

That said, here are my stats from this morning ...

22 years old
    5'5"
    126.6 lbs
    23% bf (scale BIA); 18% bf (calipers 5/12/06)

I posted some pics from today, too.

I don't have any numbers I'm trying to reach. I don't care too much about the scale, more the way my body looks. Truth be told, I'd love to achieve a body similar to Kristia Knowles. ( www.kristiaknowles.com )

So here's my plan ...

Monday AM sprints PM strength train
    Tuesday AM steady state PM yoga
    Wednesday AM hills PM strength train
    Thursday AM steady state PM yoga
    Friday AM sprints PM strength train
    Saturday AM strength train PM OFF
    Sunday AM OFF PM OFF

I'll post my diet here, too.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Attached Files:

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you've already got a great base to build from. I think that if you can get past the challenges presented by your social circle not being in the same mindset you'll absolutely rock this out. I think you appear extremely focused and love to hear your enthusiasm about "taking it to the next level."

What kind of yoga are you doing? I do Vinyasa on Sundays and find it to be an incredible strength-oriented workout. For that reason I'm very leery about doing it close to other resistance training. From your workout plan you're doing strength work or yoga six of seven days. That doesn't seem like enough rest to me.

If you want to post your diet and your weight-training split I'm sure you'll get some great advice from folks. I'd tell you to get off your butt and go work out now, but it's Sunday...you're off! :lol:

Get ready for Monday. :D

M@

3. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Thanks M@!

I just do beginner yoga, "Yoga basics" I like the relaxation and the stretch on my off strength training days. I used to do Ashtanga on the weekends, but that usually left me just as sore as a strength training day! So, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm making sure to keep it light. Do you think it's okay for me to continue doing it?

As for my split ....

I don't do a straight body part split. If any of you are familiar with NASM, I use a lot of their "Optimum Performance Training" progressions. However, I do tend to focus more on certain areas of the body on certain days, but compound exercises and stabilization are almost always thrown into the mix.

Monday - I actually take a group ex class, it's an hour long and targets 3 muscle groups with active recovery.

Tuesday - yoga basics

Wednesday - focuses more on back and biceps

Thursday - yoga basics

Friday - targets more of lower body, a lot of balance and power exercises

Saturday - mainly chest, shoulders, and triceps

What do you guys think about the cardio I posted earlier? Any suggestions? I was doing a lot of distance running, but am done with that now, so I'm trying to sort it all out. Any ideas on a good schedule?

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey bellezza, welcome. :)

Your stats are pretty similar to what I was when I joined the forums. I didn't make any quick dramatic changes, but I've been happy with my elongated maintenance phase. I think my wisest strategy was to focus a big portion of my strength training efforts on building my shoulders and back muscles. Broadening the upper part of my body has made my lower body look much slimmer and balanced out.

What is your strength training program like? Are you lifting heavy weights with fewer reps, or lighter weights with more reps?

It sounds like you have a lot of cardio planned. Is this typical to what you usually do? You might not need that much. Your scale weight is good for your height, so you really don't need to worry too much about burning fat. Since you don't have far to go, you don't need to split up your goals into bulking and cutting phases; you can slowly lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

5. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Thanks for all the advice Guava! That's an awesome avatar is that you??

I keep my weights pretty heavy. Definitely always take my sets to failure on my upper body. If I can make it to 12-15, I up the weight, and end up only being able to about 6-8 until I get stronger .... and the cycle continues. I do more endurance work on my lower body, though.

Cardio for me has been a lot of running on the lake - it's addicting out there. Chicago has a beautiful lakeshore. Long steady state at least 4 days a week. I'm trying to change it up because my schedule got a lot busier and I don't have time in my mornings for 8 mile runs anymore. So, I'll only be doing about a half hour, higher intensity. Cardio in the morning wakes me up for the rest of the day. It's sick, but I enjoy it. It's like my coffee. (Which I also usually have around midmorning when the running buzz wears off :) )

I threw in some cross training, hoping that would make it okay to do cardio every morning during the week. Do you think it's too much?? I hope not, because I need it to be a daily routine if it's going to stick. Let me know what ya think.

Anyway, here's my food intake for the day, keep in mind it's Sunday - not typical eating day!! ....

1/2 c Irish oatmeal, 1/2 scoop Isopure vanilla, 1 Tbs milled flaxseed, 1/2 c raspberries

coffee w/ splenda

mixed greens salad w/ can of crab meat, mushrooms, and peppers, 1 Tbs FF Italian

2 slices Natural Ovens Right Wheat, 1 Tbs natural almond butter, 1 Tbs sugar free jelly

Baby carrots

This is where I get bad (friend and hubby entertained for dinner):
    about 4 oz pork tenderloin, 1/2 cup green beans, 1 small baked potato w/ tsp smart balance and 3 glasses red wine, then about 1/2 c chocolate covered raisins at the movies :(

And this is where it gets embarassing ...
    Everytime I'm out and I have some drinks, or unplanned sweets, I come home and want to snack. I don't keep ANY junk in my place. Yes, I just ate about 2 cups worth of Fiber One cereal. Straight out of the box.

My first diet post and I already sound like an idiot. O'well, clean week ahead!

Total kcal = 2262
    Protein = 102 g (19%)
    Carbs = 332 g (43%)
    Fat = 47 g (20%)
    Alcohol = 55 g (18%)

#5 bellezza, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  6. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Hi! Sounds like you're all over this fitness thing:nod: I hope we can encourage you, it sounds like you have loads of desire and motivation already!

Love your signature:tu:

7. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Thank you!! Just reading through other threads has already been so encouraging. It seems like such a great community here. I have a feeling you guys are exactly what I need to reach my goals.

The quote from my sig came from some bodybuilder. I knew who the guy was when I read it, but I can't remember him for the life of me now. Anyway, I'm glad you like it :) So true isn't it?

So, this morning I woke up and rethought my cardio plan. Tues and Thurs are the days where I'm really tight on time because I have to actually get dressed nice and drive out to my internship. Mon, Wed, and Fri however, I just have class (exercise phys - so i get to wear gym clothes :) ) and it's right downtown, so, I don't have to leave quite as early. Considering all that, I decided to do my shorter, intense cardio on Tues and Thurs instead of Mon and Fri like I had planned before. Plus, sprinting is pretty anaerobic, and I thought it might be too much on lifting days. Hope that made some sort of sense ....

Anyway, I just got back from 45 minutes of fasted steady state on the elliptical.

I'll be back later to post my PM workout and food intake. Hope you all have a great day!!

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good to have you here. We need more female influence on the boards.:bb:

Daily cardio would be too much for me, but I can't say if it's too much for you. It's not the end of the world if you change your fitness plan. You could go on a one week rotation, then evaluate it, and switch it around as needed for the following week.

I keep changing my avatar so much that I have to think about it when someone asks if it's me. The gymnast wearing white isn't me.

#8 guava, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  9. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

Hey bellezza! That salad sounds good, I might have to try that! ;)

I see you're in Chicago! I'm near Lake Forest! I'm so jealous you get to run by the lake. I would love to run around some of the trails around here, but I never feel comfortable going out in the woods alone, ya know?

don't beat yourself up on the diet. We all have to start somewhere ;) hang in there!

10. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Thank you! Definitely glad to be here :)

And as for trying out a program for a week and then making adjustments, I think it is a great idea. Keep an eye on me okay? Pleeeease chime in if you see anything that could use changing.

Just got back from my group ex class ... it kicked my butt! I'll try and remember everything we did:

Step up and balance w/ shoulder press on a step w/ 4 risers under it - 10 each leg x 10 lb DBs

Reverse lunge w/ shoulder press 10 x 10

Combo step up w/ press and reverse lunge w/ press 10 x 10

Chest Press 15 x 20 lb DBs
    Bench Dips 10
    Chest Press 5 x 20, alternate arms (keeping one in up position) 5 x 20, both together 5 x 20
    Bench Dips 10
    Chest Press 5 x 20, alternate arms (keeping one in down position) 5 x 20, both together 5 x 20
    Bench Dips 10

2 sets
    Upright Rows 10 x 10 lb DBs
    straight into shoulder press 10 x 10

2 sets
    Lateral raises 8 x 5 lb DBs, supinate hands and bring together straight over head and back to "T position" 8 x 5 lb DBs, bring arms straight in front of body and raise straight overhead 8 x 5, bring arms down and half way up to straight out in front of body 8 x 5

I don't remember weights for anything else, but we did a lot of core combined with burning out the chest and shoulders. Some stuff we did ... burpies w/ DBs down into push up and up into shoulder press, lots of plank variations, pikes, knee tucks ... I can't remember everything.

Anyway, I'm not sure if ANY of that made sense. But I'm definitely spent!

Oh yeah - just wanted to add - all the other girls were using 5 or 7.5 when I was using 10s and I was the only girl using 20s for a bench press. I know it's not a ton of weight compared to a lot of you on here, but if felt really good while I was in class :flex:

I'll post food after I'm all done eating for the day. Hope everyone's week started off great!!!

11. Zoetastic

good job!

i'm actually joining a "body tone" class at the College of Lake County :) and I'm hoping it wears me out like yours did ;)

12. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

We're neighbors!!! :D

There's not a chance I'd run in the woods alone! I feel pretty safe on the lake because there's tons of people out. And it's right on Lake Shore Drive, so it's nice and in the open.

Thanks for the encouragement on the diet. My weekends are always pretty bad. I'm wondering how much this will hinder my progress. Any opinions on if I need to completely cut this out if I want to see results or do I have some cheat room?

13. Zoetastic

i dont think i can tell you anything you dont already know ;) as long as you keep track of what you are eating and how much you are burning via exercise and make sure there's a decent deficit there.

14. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Don't have a lot of time to post, but wanted to get in my food intake from yesterday ....

MONDAY JUNE 5, 2006

1/2 c oats, 1/2 scoop Isopure vanilla, 1 Tbs flaxseed, 1/2 c raspberries

Larabar - Apple Pie

2 slices Natural Ovens, 1 Tbs almond butter, 1 Tbs sugar free jelly
    16 oz. soy latte w/ 2 Splenda

Mixed veggies (I brought a sandwich size ziplock full of sliced, mushrooms, peppers, brocolli, cauliflower, and zuchinni)
    String Cheese - part skim

2 cups mixed greens, peppers, mushrooms, 1/8 c sliced almonds, 5 oz. chicken breast
    Sweet Potato

David Kirsch Vanilla Protein Meal Replacement

Total calories = 1423 kcal
    Carbs = 127 g (28%)
    37 g Fiber
    Fat = 50 g (35%)
    9 g sat
    Protein = 120 g (37%)

Off to do some sprint work!!!

15. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

So, I don't think I've done suicides since college vball. That was 3 years ago. Those long runs I've been doing on the lakes did not help my speed any!! I'm gonna have to work on this sprinting stuff. Long way to go.

I did suicides on the tennis courts on top of our parking garage. I had a lovely bunch of construction guys working on the building across the street standing around for cheap entertainment. I probably did look pretty stupid. Oh well, it was a hell of a workout.

Anyway, I did 10 of them across 2 courts. Stopping at the center line of the first court and back to start, then half way between the two of them and back, center line on the second court, then all the way to the other side of the second one and a full out sprint back. Then I just walked down to the end and back for rest. Gonna keep working at 'em, then they won't feel so hard and I can add some more in.

I'm off to work, have a great day everyone!

16. Zoetastic

way to challenge yourself! and im proud of you for working out despite the gawking construction guys. many people will take any possible excuse to get out of working out and i think it's awesome that you did your workout, you challenged yourself, AND you did it in a less than desireable situation (i.e. having unwanted witnesses, lol).
    good job! you get a gold star ;)

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Cheat weekends won't hinder your progress so much as screw with your mind. They'll have you retaining water weight for the early part of the week. You'll drop it around Thursday or Friday and then start putting it back on again 'cause the weekend's arrived. As long as you're not intimidated/focused on the scale you should be fine.

How you, specifically, will react to going off-program for multiple meals a week is something that'll become apparent as you track your progress. If you're not getting the results you want in the timeframe you're looking for, that'd be the first place to consider making some changes. ;)

I remember suicides from tennis, football, and hockey. Just got flashbacks. :eek: Never crossed my mind to do those voluntarily. :lol:

18. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

I'm not so worried about the scale, but I can always see the difference on my body at the beginning of the week. I think I'm going to limit myself to one night only. Friday nights I'll find something more productive to do.

LOL, I know, it took me back quite a few years too :) I figured it be sort of like HIIT, but I wouldn't have to mess around with the speed on the treadmill, plus I got to be outside!

On another note, here's my diet from yesterday ...

Pre-cardio
    1/2 c oats, 1/2 scoop Isopure, 1/2 c raspberries, 1 Tbs flaxseed

Coffee w/ about 1 1/2 c steamed soy milk (the espresso machine was broke :( )

Huge Salad: mixed greens, broccoli, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, 2 Tbs garbanzo beans, 1/4 c diced turkey, hardboiled eggwhites, FF dressing
    Larabar

2 almond butter and jelly sanwiches
    - I hadn't eaten since noon and it was 530. maybe normal for some people, but I'm used to eating every couple hours! I was famished!!

Chicken Stirfry

Total calories = 1704 kcal
    Protein = 124 g
    Carbs = 191 g Fiber = 54 g (holy crap!)
    Fat = 56 g Sat. fat = 6 g

I didn't go to yoga. It would've taken another 2 hours out of my night, and I had other stuff that needed to be done. I think I'm going to look at it as an optional workout. Strength training and cardio are non-negotiable.

19. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

I DID A PULLUP ALL BY MYSELF!

okay, the form was terrible and I needed spotting for the following 9, but I got up there, just once, without help.

It felt good, I've wanted it for a long time.

Felt pretty strong the rest of the workout, too. Focused on my back and core. I was pretty shaky on my way out of the gym. I love that.

I turned down dinner tonight - twice. I've been sort of talking to two different guys. Neither one of them are worth derailing my week. Everytime I go out, it ends up being apps, meal, dessert, and drinks on top of it. I just don't need that right now, especially in the middle of the week. It gets so tiring to try to explain that I'm working toward something. Guys see a girl watching what she eats and she's automatically one of "those" girls that pushes around a salad. Someday my prince will come, and when he does, he'll prefer a clean meal too :p

20. Zoetastic

OMG! I am soooo excited for you! i cant imagine what that must have felt like! it is one of my dreams to one day be able to do pullups. kudos to you!

i also totally hear you on the dating = lots o food thing. i was dating like crazy earlier this year. now, im not dating a single person and i'm actually feeling really good about my choice. im working out 6 days a week, i'm keeping track of my calories, etc., i'm taking fitness classes for fun. i am starting a book club, and am making consist plans with female friends every week. i couldnt do this if i was dating someone. i can tell you that something would have to give and im sure that the healthy eating/gym would be one of the first things to go.

i am trying to stay goal oriented, so i guess my goal (besides getting in shape/losing weight) is to get to a place where i can go out, have a nice meal, a treat or two, and not let it turn into a landslide. moderation is tough for me to master. if you can do it, then you have a great advantage.