1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Cat Came Back -- Xingcat's Fit by 40

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by xingcat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

One more day of this heat wave. Whew!

I don't mind the heat that much, though I haven't gone out running in it just yet. I'll probably mind it quite a bit then!

The car I've been borrowing since my last one died has had some trouble starting, so it's at the shop. I'm working from home, though I did get to the gym with no problem. My weight is up a little from the weekend of no running and not tracking my food, so I have to get back to being strict with my diet, but my workout was terrific this morning, so I'm not feeling discouraged. I have to start taking measurements (something I tend to avoid, because I can get obsessive) because I feel like I've made some real gains in my arms, chest and back, but I'd like some numbers to back that up. I think by the beginning of next month, I'll even be ready to post some pictures, heh.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Flat Bench Press: 2X10, 1X8, 1X7
    Incline Bench Press: 2X10, 1X9, 1X6
    Flyes: 3X10
    Standing Military Press: 3X10
    Lateral DB Raises: 3X10
    Upright Rows: 3X10
    Shrugs: 3X10
    Dips: 1X10, 1X9, 1X8
    Weighted Bench Dips: 2X10, 2X8
    Overhead Rope Pulls: 3X10

Crunches: 2X100
    Leg Raises (weighted): 3X20

2. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

The play progress sounds good!:spaz:

I hope it really does get a little cooler tomorrow. I tend not to believe our weather forecasts.:lol:

3. xingcat

That's the beauty of New England...you never know what the weather will be!

4. xingcat

Looks like we won't get relief from the heat today. Last night, it was tremendously windy outside, and a lot of tree branches were on the ground as I headed to the gym this morning. I think I missed a big storm.

I didn't have the greatest workout this morning. Legs/Back/Biceps today, and the leg portion was really good. I added a few sets to my squats, just testing higher weights, and I did pretty well at that, and lunges were the pain they always are (I need to start up with yoga or something again, just to stretch out more), but by the time came around to deadlifts, I was beat. I think it's because I get to the gym at 5:15am or so, and the place opens at 5, so the a/c doesn't have time to catch up. Dripping with sweat. I got through it all, though.

Tomorrow through Saturday afternoon is a retreat at work. I was worried that we had to stay on-site for it (it's just in Boston), but only the directors have to do that, so I'm safe from that. I'm not safe from the tedium of endless meetings, however.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Squats: 2X10, 1X8, 1X6, 1X5
    Lunges: 3X10
    Calf Raises (sled): 1X12, 2X10, 1X8
    Leg Extensions: 2X10, 1X8, 1X6
    Deadlifts: 4X5
    Lat Pulldowns: 3X10
    Bent-over Rows: 3X10
    Back Flyes: 3X10
    BB Curls: 3X10
    Concentration Curls: 1X10, 2X8

5. Butterflyer

Every time I look, I see a new avatar!;) This one with only part of your face is especially mischievous and cool!

6. xingcat

:lol: Thanks! I got a new digital camera (my old one's screen broke because I was careless with it), and I took a bunch of pictures, most of which looked pretty good in their original size, but when shrunken down to a 75pxX75px, I looked...weird. :lol: So this is the new one that I'll keep...as long as I'm happy with it. :)

Start of a three-day "retreat" with my company. We don't have to stay in the hotel where we're having meetings, which is good, but we're expected to have lunch and dinner there, so I can't control what I'm eating all day like I'm used to. I'll deal, but it kind of sucks that the first week that feels like summer to me is the first week where I have to give up control over my intake.

One of the things we're doing is some sort of icebreaker exercise where we each bring in something that tells people about us that they might not have known. I decided to bring in the very first review of my very first produced play, which started with the line, "Do you admire the band that played while the Titanic sank? Enough to be in attendance?" Yeah, it was a BRUTAL review, but I deserved it, because the play was pretty awful. I kept that framed above my desk for years, to remind me to write something better than that first play. :D

Running this morning. Gorgeous and cool outside!

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Running (outdoors): 7 miles, about 55 minutes.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nicely done. Our weather broke also and I took advantage of it to go running. Not nearly as fast as you though.

8. xingcat

Done with the retreat, as of 2pm today. Damn, that was long and dull! I got a lot done, but it was endless hours, and though I got in my workout yesterday (chest, shoulders and tris), which went very well, but didn't have time this morning to hit the gym. I'll get back on-track tomorrow, and get my eating back on-track then as well (conference center food is irresistable). I didn't slide back too much, but it wasn't as disciplined as I'd like to be.

Also, we had a death in the family, so I have to attend a wake and a funeral tomorrow and Monday. :(

9. xingcat

Pouring rain this morning, which didn't let up for hours, so I didn't brave the elements and went to the gym to hit the bike instead. I need to get more time on the bike, because it really hits some muscles in my legs that running doesn't. I need to spruce up the mountain bike or get a new one, but the summer is a perfect time to do so.

The wake was tough, but it's over. It's sad that you tend to see people only at sad events.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Bike (stationary): 45 minutes.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about the family death.

11. xingcat

Thanks, Paul. It was a tough weekend, but everybody got through it.

Back to it today. Even though I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off at work, I managed to make and pack meals for today and get to the gym for a really good workout. Chest/Shoulders/Triceps day, and I've reached a milestone of sorts with bench presses, in that this morning was the first workout since I started back on lifting weights in which I benched 200#! I know a lot of the folks here would consider that child's play, but I've been really hesitant about adding that much weight onto the bar, and I only managed 3 reps, but it's great to know I've been gaining strength, even while on a moderate cutting diet.

I have no time this morning...this afternoon, I have to meet with the president of the company to go over all the stuff I did this weekend, and then I'm sure I'll get a ton of edits to do tonight and tomorrow morning. The fun never ends!

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Flat Bench Press: 2X10, 1X6, 1X3
    Incline Bench Press: 2X10, 1X8
    Flyes (machine): 3X10, 1X6
    Standing BB Shoulder Press: 3X10
    Lateral DB Raises: 3X10
    Upright Rows: 3X10
    Shrugs: 3X10
    Weighted Bench Dips: 3X10
    Cable Tricep Extensions: 3X10
    Single-Arm Tricep Pull-downs: 3X10

Crunches: 3X100
    Bench Leg Lifts (weighted): 3X20

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the benching 200. There sure are a lot of very strong people at JSF, but for those of us who are not competitive lifters our competition is ourselves. You're doing more than you did last week and that's what matters, not that some here can move substantially more.

I know what you mean though and get a kick when someone writes about doing a light workout with weights that are higher than my PR's.

13. xingcat

Loooong day at work, yesterday. Our company is meeting with another company (who is huge and vast while we are small and compact) that may partner with us or give us tons of money or something. I'm not clear on the details, only that I had to create a brochure and a presentation for our directors to use, and every director had some very strong ideas about what should be put in or taken out of the brochure. That meant every director gave me conflicting information, and by the time I got a version to the printer that everybody could be happy with, it was just about time for bed.

Today should be quieter, but I shouldn't count on it.

Today's workout went very well. Legs/Back/Biceps day, which wipes me out. My squats are really improving, and I've added weight to the deadlifts, though that means one less set than the 5X5 I generally do on deads, since by the fourth set, I feel like if I go for one more, I'll lose proper form. Maybe I'll reduce the weight to get out the fifth set, or maybe I won't worry about it too much.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Squats: 2X10, 1X8, 1X6
    Step-ups: 3X10
    Leg Curls (machine): 2X10, 1X8
    Calf Raises (sled): 3X10
    Deadlifts: 4X5
    Assisted Wide-grip Pullups: 3X10
    Bent-over Rows: 3X10
    Back Flyes (machine): 2X10, 1X9
    BB Curls: 3X10
    DB Curls: 3X10

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Form is king and especially so on the heavy compounds like deads. Keeping strict form and reducing the possibility of injury is the way to go.

A public service announcement from the Injury Prevention Institute. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

15. xingcat

A nice cool morning today, which made running a breeze. I was worried that cutting down my running would mean that I'd gain back a bunch of fat and/or result in a loss of stamina, but neither has been the case. I think it was Guava who said something along the lines of, "Wanting to cut down to 10% bodyfat is one thing, wanting to be 185 pounds and 10% bodyfat is another." I really took that to heart and have been trying to use this "maintenance" bit of my fitness quest to maybe add a little bit of muscle while keeping the fat loss that I've had through the strict cutting plan I started out with. I could probably drop down my bodyfat percentage further by staying on such a strict cut, but this 4-day weights, 3-day cardio + a bit extra food plan seems to be giving me results I haven't seen before, and I kind of like it!

The run went very well. I need some new music for my iPod, because I find myself running to the same three albums or so, and it's getting a little dull. Because I have satellite radio in the car and at work, I stick to the 80s station and talk radio, so I have to go exploring for some new music. I feel like such an old fart.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Running (outdoors): 7 miles, about 50 minutes.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on the run. Distance + speed is a tough combination.

17. Butterflyer

Have fun looking for new music! You can go crazy with everything, there's so much.:spaz:

18. xingcat

Oddly enough, I find it much easier to run faster than more slowly. When I try to slow my pace, I find it a chore, but if I take longer, faster strides, I can go for quite a distance without feeling as fatigued. I'm sure it has something to do with form.

19. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

I have about 6 or 7 playlist that I jump back and forth to depending on my mood. Man, awesome job on the 7 miles man!:nod:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Often I have to make a conscious effort to lengthen my stride. I find that when I do so it lessens any lower leg discomfort I'm prone to getting. I'm sure it has something to do with all the mechanics beginning with how I'm striking. Also a real key for me is to make sure that my hips are loose.