1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Bowflex 20-minute Workout...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by HevyMetal, Nov 24, 2006.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

done 3 times a week is comprised of what?.....anybody do this?

And...did you get results?

Just curious.

2. pilotmaf

pilotmaf Active Member

About a year ago I purchased the cheapest Bow Flex I could find. Due to my situation that was the best all round workout equipment I could afford to ship overseas. This was for both my wife and myself. Basically I liked it.

My experience.
    I was about 220 lbs when I decided to had to do something. Got the BF and read the little book that comes with it. It had a simple meal plan that was easy to follow. 1500 cal for men, gallon of water and 3 days a week full body workout. It consisted of:
    Leg Curl
    Leg Extension
    Bench Press
    Standing Bicep curl
    Shoulder Press
    Ab crunches.
    Then adds the following after the first week.
    Seated Row
    Laying Shoulder Pullover
    Leg Press

1 set each of 8-12 reps. Once you go over 12 reps increase the resistance.

I did pretty well. Lost about 50 lbs and did gain some muscle. (No where near the guys on the ad!)

I did notice I hit a plateau within 6 weeks of the 12 week program. I did it for 24 weeks. Figured I was not eating enough to increase muscle strength but I was going after fat loss at that time.

I have since purchased some free weights off other Americans going back home and really enjoy them. I still use the BF but mainly am on the free weights trying to bulk up some.

I did notice that after a work out on BF I was very shaky and would sit for a little while. But the next day I was never sore! Something about the progressive resistance of the rods. BF also claims you get a good cardio workout if done correctly. At first I did not believe it but several times I did check my pulse during the work out and when you "move along" like they say, my pulse rate stayed up. So that should help with the fat loss.

There used to be a good Bow Flex message board and it seemed that older people liked it because it was easier on their joints. Whatever that is worth.

So that is my experience with Bow Flex.

3. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Yes, I have. It probably is as effective as the vast majority of workouts performed. The Workout is a form of HIT, it was developed by Ellington Darden.

Here is a form and explanation of a similar workout. :tucool:

#3 RTE, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. HevyMetal

Thanks, RTE !

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My brother the power lifter and I came up with a program for my dad. For the strength part, my brother went with the bowflex. For metabolic, I got him doing step-ups on the same days as the bowflex. He also walks. He's really happy with the results.

6. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Well-Known Member

#6 lordkovacs, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  7. HevyMetal

Thanks LordKovacs....:)

As you can see the original thread start post is years old.

Maybe you were surfing old threads?

Anyhow I will give your info a look...although currently I do not possess a BowFlex....

Thanks again though.....:tucool: