1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The big MAC attack....

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by AndiMAC, Oct 20, 2008.

1. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

Hehehe I was going to title this thread The return of the MAC but I figured in 6 months from now it will sound kind of stupid so I went with this because I'm kinda big, my name is AndiMAC and I am on the attack (of fat)

I can't believe I have been a member here for almost 5 years and it took me about 4 of those to finally get it. I lost count of how many times I started and stopped. Actually almost a year and a half ago I was back on track and doing well then I sprained my knee doing an improper side lunge and that's all she wrote.

That was July of last year. Also, my gym membership ran out so I was like ok whatever. It was around September I ended up hooking up with an old high school friend who also wanted to get in shape as well but she was pretty much at level zero and didn't really have any fitness knowledge whatsoever. So we started meeting up 3 times a week at this park and walked the trail. We did 3 miles each night. And as we progressed we did things to mix it up and make it different. I don't know about her but in the time of 6 months I had lost 30 pounds.
    And then it was late spring and she had some events happen in her life (parent illness) that took her away for weeks at a time. So consequently when she got back into things she was back at sqare one but yet I was far ahead and ready to advance more.

I had been itching to get back to the gym for awhile only because you have so many different things you can do. And I was racked with guilt but finally I told her that I couldn't walk anymore and I was going to the gym. Luckily she understood. That was about 4 or so months ago.

So here I am today. I do spinning usually 4 times a week and weights 3 times. But I was talking to my spin instructor and he would rather me not do it 2 consecutive days so I am going to cut back and do it M,W,F and then do some weights Tue and Thur. And then Sunday I am attempting Yoga. I tried it a week ago. It was hard, very hard for a first timer but I am not scared and for sure will be back.

But my main issue is food intake. It's not horrible but it could be way better. And I definitely need to figure out how to eat 6 a day. I would like to find a nutritionist that deals with athletes and can help me with meal plans because the bulk of my issue is I hate food shopping and cooking. I CAN cook, I just don't like to. But after seeing John's kickass toaster oven, I have felt a spark of interest.

I am not exactly sure what I will be writing in this journal but it's a work in progress and I am just so happy to have come this far with out fail. I think I have worked out more this past year than I have my whole life. So yay, go me! :claphigh:

2. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

Good job! Sounds like you're on a roll. And I love the name of your thread!

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Yay you! Go you!

4. AndiMAC

WOW, I am going to be sore tomorrow!

OK a little back story. I was doing spinning like 4 days a week and three of those days I was doing weights. I had been hearing differnt things about what you should do when so I was getting kind of confused. Yesterday I went to my spin instructor and asked him what he thought would be good for my personal situation. He said "well, I don't want to see you spinning on consecutive days" So I am doing spin M, W, and F now. On Tues and Thur some people from class just kind of do a little group thing with free weights. Today was my first day. HOLY SH*T. We did legs today and OMG I did things I never thought I could do. I mean I was doing like over 150lbs in leg press! I think max I did out on the machine was like 95 lbs. My legs were like jelly like 35 min in. But that's good and that's what I want. SO tomorrow is spin and then Thur is upper body. I can't wait to see what's in store. I just want to say how truly blessed I am to have become a part of this tight knit group and they are taking me under their wing and helping me really learn proper fitness.

5. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

Weights are your friend! Once you do start doing it you'll learn to love them! :tu:

6. AndiMAC

Today was a relatively "easy" day as it was just spinning. But damn, every time I turned that resistance up....yowza! My legs are pretty sore from yesterday's workout but thank the Lord they aren't so sore that I needed assistance getting on and off the toilet. Last month I had a session with a trainer and I couldn't walk for a week! (well, I could walk, but I just looked like I had a stick stuck up my butt or something)

Tomorrow is upper body and I am looking forward to that. That has always been a major bone of contention with me. My lack of upper body strength. My goal is to one day be able to do 5 pull ups.

The goal for today though is to drink all my waters and eat all my meals.

7. AndiMAC

What I learned today

Well, Andi learned 2 things today....

1) That she is very strong in her lower body
    2) That she is very NOT strong in her upper body

Oh boy am I a weakling. I learned today how very UNbalanced I am. I did ok with the free weights and things but today as I worked out with my spin instructor as opposed to who I worked out with Tuesday he had me doing things with the Swiss ball (I forget what the other term for it is) like balancing my legs on it and doing (trying to) push ups and stuff. Oh, and how I said in my last entry my goal is to do 5 pull ups. Well, today he had me do this exercise where my legs were all the way out and I pulled myself up on what was basically a barbell ummmm bar? He had set it on a rung maybe 2 feet from the floor. So my legs were straight out ahead of me kind of like you'd be doing a push up only you are on your heels and doing a pull up. So I didn't pull myself ALL the way up but i did manage like 10-12 mini ones and I was like AHHHHH OMG! I was so happy I could even do that. Well it was a start anyways.

And yesterday...oh boy. After finishing my entry here, I got up to go get ready for work and Oh sh*t did things hurt. I think I would have been ok had I not pushed up the resistance so much in spin class. I should have just been in recovery mode but now I'm in that state of mind of always pushing myself. I think a just as important thing to learn is to know when to push and when to HOLD BACK. Because as we all know, pushing TOO much can lead to not good things like injury and being sore for longer than you should be. Ok so live and learn.

Tomorrow, group is having boot camp which I think I am going to hold off on for a few weeks til I get into the groove of this whole new routine. My head is swimming with all this new information.

Also, I am going to take new pics this weekend before I get too far in so that way I have some comparison as to inches I have lost and such.
    And Sunday I will be getting a new bodyfat reading as well. The last pics I took were 2 years ago and I came upon them and I can tell already that there has just GOT to be a difference in the new ones I am going to take.

OK off to get ready for work. Happy Thursday! (even though it is rainy and dreary and I just want to crawl back into bed)

8. AndiMAC

Today I made it a recovery day. I took it a little easier in spinning because my legs were still sore from overdoing it on Wednesday. I did good yesterday with my foods trying to eat a little every three hours or so but sometimes its hard because I work in a salon and generally you just try to eat when you can (between clients) Right now it's not so bad because it's not as busy. But I dread starting next month when we get our holiday rush and we'll be slam packed. I just need to get a nutritional IV bag and hook it up in the morning so I don't even have to think about it hahahahha.

Another dreary day here in South Florida. It's all I can do to even get motivated to get up and ready for work from this point. I just want to crawl back into my cozy bed that is calling my name.....:sleep:

9. AndiMAC

Ahhhh, what a beautiful day it's going to be. It's about 8am right now and in the upper 50's. I live for this kind of weather. It's better than any anti depressant on the market. But of course the sky is blue and the sun is shining as well. I'm kind of a weird Floridian in that I actually LOVE cold weather. I'm not too crazy about snow but whenever it goes below 60, I am in heaven!

Today was spinning. Yesterday was legs. It's hard sometimes to write what I do on my non spinning days because we don't do "just" free weights. Like yesterday we took plates (the ones for the weight machines, not what you eat dinner off of) and we went up and down the stairs. Or like we'll take the thing you use for step class and jump over it back and forth. Or doing stuff with the bosu ball. It's a nice mix to add with the typical squats, leg presses, and lunges. That way you can work all the muscles and not just the quads and the hams.

Got on the scale Sunday. It still hasn't moved. But I know things are different since I change my routine last week. I am more hungry and I have being doing pretty well eating every few hours. The only downfall with this cooler weather is that I have no desire for liquids. So I guess I will be forcing myself to be drinking water this winter. Not an easy task at hand.

Hope you all have a good day!

10. AndiMAC

Ack, almost 3 weeks since I have posted. DSL changes and dogsitting to blame for that. But that hasn't affected my working out in the least. I still do my five days. I actually went today and worked on arms, chest, and back with a friend of mine outside my little group I usually work with.
    I am sore and it feels so good. Even seeing my reflection here on the computer monitor I notice change.

Food still seems to be the biggest challenge (as always) Working out has now been ingrained into my brain so it comes easy. I am still amazed after 5 months that I still get out of bed M-F and get into the gym at 6am. I need to get more into those little meals like Maya posts. They seem very easy to prepare and I think I will like the taste of them too.
    Going to kid b-day party in a few so can't wait to see how I handle that challenge.

Have a great Sunday all.

11. AndiMAC

Lower body today. Man I kicked ass in leg presses doing about 180lbs. If you would have said a few weeks ago that's what I'd be doing, I would have doubled over in laughter. Killed it with the calf raises and quad work. Damn legs were burning, wow it felt good. I know today was a good day because when it was all said and done my legs were like jello. And it was great seeing I had burned like 600 calories during my workout.

And as if this day couldn't be any better, the sky is amazingly blue and the high for the temp today is like low 70. It's going to suck driving in to work today and be inside. UGH!

12. AndiMAC

Yesterday was Boot Camp Friday. I can't believe I came back for more. I've been working hard this week and I can tell. Thursday when we did upper body and then Friday there were points when I felt like I was going to throw up. :eek: But it's all good. Getting a heart rate moniter was the best thing I have bought all year because it helps me to know when to slow down. Overall though, I am feeling great. Was sore yesterday all day after my workout and even though it was a little harder to get around sometimes it's good to know it comes from a good place and I am only getting stronger.

Taking a day of rest today but then I will be back in the gym tomorrow. I have started going on Sundays so I can do an extra upper body day as that is what I need to focus on most since it's so much weaker than lower.

13. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Um...you're my hero :bow:

14. AndiMAC

Well, Lower Body Tuesday. Bleah. I got in and was warming up on the elliptical and it sucked because my HRM (heart rate monitor) readings were all over the place. I think it's just that I need to tighten the band because I think it must have been slipping out of place every so often. LOL one day it got edged up on top of my bra and I was getting like 00 readings. Needless to say I was thinking hmmmm, I feel ok for "dead". Yeah so warm ups felt a little extra hard today. Then usually we break off into pairs or trios. But somehow I ended up by myself but that's ok because I need to know I can go on my own if I have to. And I think I did ok. Of course I didn't push myself as hard but I think I did well.

They (the personal trainers) at my gym are giving this one spinning instructor grief because they think those of us in our group are paying him to train us. PUHHHLEEEEZE! Basically we kind of train each other. But people (pt's) see this and get all mad because we wont spend our hard earned dollars and hire them. Trust me, I see what these trainers do and it isn't much of anything. Their clients don't even break a sweat. I'm sweating just after warm ups alone!

Yeah so we kind broke up a little today and did our own thing. Plus too it's hard because people are going away for the holidays so it's mixing things up a little bit.

Back to spinning tomorrow. And I will probably go in on Thursday just to keep in routine. No holidays on the workout front. Plus I heard its supposed to be kind of chilly towards the end of the week so I am psyched for that!

15. AndiMAC

Yesterday, right before we went to stretching we did one lap around the track doing lunges. Today my ass feels like someone punched me hard in each cheek. But I am grateful for the pain. Means I am doing something right. I'll take that kind of pain any day or the ones that make my thighs so stiff I cant sit down on the toilet without groaning and wincing in pain.

Today was spinning. It's funny how in some parts of the class I feel like just cruising through the set and how other sets (like climbs) I push myself to the limit. I have really been focusing on keeping my knees straight and it's making my inner thighs BURN. Again, sometimes pain is a good thing.

16. Avy

Avy Active Member

:lol: that cracked me up!

17. AndiMAC

Well, after dragging myself to the gym this morning (I was thisclose to not going) Only to have to wait AGAIN because some dipstick couldn't be bothered to be on time to open the gym I had the crappiest work out. What a waste of my morning, UGH! :mad:

As I told you all before, there is a group of us (I think like 6-8) and we work out together but we break up in pairs or trios. Well, the PT's are having a fit over us and causing a big pile of poo. So today 5 of us had to go and talk to the gym manager about this "issue" that they are accusing our friend (who also happens to teach 2 spinning classes) of taking money and training us. Its such gym political BS. Basically what the gym is saying is if I come in with a friend and I show her what to do I am "training" her. The truth is, if these stupid ass PT's would actually go and promote themselves instead of bothering us and whining and complaining then there wouldn't be a probem. They need to stop being jealous of us just because we work out and actually get results and work on their own "training". Arrrrgh Im so mad! :mad:

Someone is getting some hate mail today for sure!

18. AndiMAC

Holy crap time flies! Over a month and a half since I posted in my journal.
    Kinda hard sometimes as I do have blogs elsewhere so writing can get a little tedious.

No fears though, I am still hitting up the gym 5 days a week getting in great work outs with my pals. I started noticing a change in body a few weeks ago when I started taking cod liver oil supplements. Now before you get all Ewwwww, hear me out. This one is actually pleasant. It's by Nordic Naturals and it's not the capsule form (its the actual oil) and it has a nice orange flavor to it. First time I took it alone and while it was tolerable, I won't be doing that again! So now what I do is put it in my protein shake in the am. Mixes real nice.

Then I made a MAJOR change last week. I went to see a new Chiro/Acupuncturist about my knee and my patella slippage but then we got on the subject that I have been working out for over six months and trying to eat healthy and all that but I had not lost a pound. He did some points around my Thyroid and found it very sluggish. So we went through some background history and he said he wanted me to do a Gluten free diet for two months to see if we could kick start things back into working order. This was good news to me because I was only going to consider meds as a last ditch effort. I have heard too many horror stories about the ups and downs of being on Thyroid meds (Synthroid) and I have been trying to live a pretty natural med free existence (and doing well at it so far)

So it has been a week today. I got to the gym, set up my bike for spinning class then went out and got on the scale. I had to look a couple of times to make sure I was seeing it correctly but I have lost 7 pounds! For me this is so major you just dont even know. You would have thought I won last season's Biggest Loser. I know its only 7 lbs but its a start! After going so long of NOTHING....It totally made my day. And honestly it's not so hard and the food (to me) is pretty tasty.
    So only 7 more weeks hahahaha. I may adopt this as my way of life. Just taking one day at a time. Cheers all. :D

#18 AndiMAC, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  19. AndiMAC

Leg day today. I wanted to change things up today and did a little bit lighter than I normally go and just did more reps. Im having issues with my knee still. I didn't wear my brace so I was a little nervous but by the time I did my stretching it actually felt pretty good.

Will be interesting to see who shows up for Spin tomorrow because it's supposed to be 40 in the morning and I don't know who is going to be standing in line in that hahahaha I will because I don't mind the cold at all. I love it. :love:

20. AndiMAC

Hey everyone, I know its been months since I actually posted in this thing but well you know how that goes. I wanted to post some pics because I never really had before but I was just looking at some from 2.5 years ago and compared to now....wow, blows me away.

OK so the "before" pics are from Nov/Dec 06

[​IMG]

The thing with that picture is that Im not as freaked about my gut hanging so far out as how round my face is. (weird, I know)

[​IMG]

And now the "afters". Im guesstimating this is about a 60 lb loss. Both taken in May 09.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, I wish I knew how to post pics side by side but well that's another day. Im really glad I came across that top photo because until I had, I never realized how much I have changed. I mean yeah I notice more muscle tone in my legs and my arms are more saggy from the fat loss but wow to see it all together like that really keeps things in perspective. :o