1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The 600lb Deadlift Club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Big_D, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

If I wasn't bulking I would have that already, ha! I'll get it when I cut again :)

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

3. boots

boots Well-Known Member

4. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

just bumpin this thread to see how everyone is doing. anyone made progress since they last posted??

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm still at 500#, and not going to get that close to improving that while I am rehabbing the hamstring.

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

wise decision.

speaking of that.... do you think sometime after ur hamstring is good to go u'll try to get the 50 @ 315 in a faster time??

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh I'll get up to all my little reindeer games once the hamstring is up to it. So far, I've only been fencing, and after Saturday, it was a little tender, so it's not completely healed.

But there is a little fad on youtube for reps at 325# in a minute. I will have to have a go at that. I might use 150kg.

dejavued likes this.
  8. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Zen, how did you injure your hamstring?

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sprinting with my son at the health club. It's a classic. On Saturday I had had a huge day fencing and hauling firewood, on Sunday I took my son to the health club swimming and racquetball. After that we wanted to shoot baskets, but the gym had some sort of class. So my son suggested doing some laps. I was OK with that until after the first lap he wanted to race. I declined but he persisted, and it was clear that he reallly wanted to race. I figured the only way to get him off that kick would be to win the race. So we raced. I was cruising to the finish with a comfortable lead, and then he shot past me. Without thinking, I went for it 100%, and the hamstring went on the second stride. I went down, the whole nine yards.

It was really not that bad though. Just a minor pull, and I've been taking good care of it. I went five weeks without any exercise on it at all. Now I'm gradually working back in.

10. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

11. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Take a look at his profile.

12. CuTe PoIsOn

His back is beastly wow, Although What I noticed is his delts, wonder what he does on them?

13. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Synthol. Massive amounts of synthol. :nod:

:D

14. CuTe PoIsOn

Serouis LMAO, please tell me your joking lol

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Um yeah he's joking.

I've just started edging back into this picture; I'm using a trap bar at the moment, but I doubled 500# and pulled 505# and 510#. I think next week I want to max out the trap bar for 1RM and also get reps at #500. I think the best training I'm going to be able to get in the near future will be trap bar sets at 500#. It felt like I can triple it for sure, if I work up to 5x5 on that, I'll feel like I'm getting somewhere.

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

As to that; today I got 3x500#, 520#, and 550# with the trap bar + hooks. I think I had a bit more, but the only way to load that bar with more was 590# which I missed.

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Is your goal a 600lb deadlift or a 600lb straight bar dead lift?

18. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I want the 600# barbell deadlift, these other lifts are just subgoals and training for that.

The problem here is that trap bar has horns too short to get past 590#. And 590# is with zero room for collars (maybe I will bring duct tape). I'm thinking about getting a bar from Piedmont (www.fractionalplates.com) but I'm not quite sure what customization I would want.

I actually think that trap bar training is going to be really useful for me up to the point where I have to deal with that low sticking point. The reason for this is that the trap bar really actually is honest weight - it's not like a machine. But I have a very reliably repeatable stroke with the trap bar, and I have noticed it lets me think very constructively about stance and alignment at higher weights than the straight bar. So it's the old story that I will use the trap bar for the strength, hypertrophy, and connective tissue adaptation training, and the straight bar will be more for nailing down the most effective form. I think I might break the training into heavy trap bar day and then speed straight bar day.

But definitely from a training point of view, I really like the trap bar, as long as I can get as much load on it as I need.

19. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:dreamy: now that's a problem worth having.

20. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Agreed...a good problem to have.

Use 100 lb plates...not much thicker than the 45s....
    Thorbecke's has them all over the place...