1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The 500-Pound Deadlift Club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by bradh, Jan 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MT77

MT77 Active Member

More progress.. Got 440x5 today, thats a 1RM of 506.

2. MT77

MT77 Active Member

12/18 - up to 465x3 PR ~1RM 506

3. Alby

Alby Active Member

Hey all..

500 pound done and dusted..

230 kg deadlift done on the 24/12/10 over in Australia

4. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Got my 500 on 12/31/10!

5. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Pulled 400 today and it felt easier than I thought it was going to. I am pretty sure I could have pulled more.I may have built the number up in my head more than needed.

I'm going to go for 500 now. I said 6 weeks for 400 last time and made it in 7 days. I think I'll shoot for 6 months on this additional 100 lbs. That makes it the end of 2011.

500 lb DL by 12/31/2011. On it. :flex:

6. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Good luck man. It took me about 16 months I think to go from 400 to 500. Now, 6 months after that, I just pulled 510. Wahoo! 10 more pounds. :o

7. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Thanks! I am still getting some of those good old newbie gains, though. I added 20 pounds during the time I hit 400# in the form of actual 1RM tests over an eight day period. I will probably test again in a few more weeks.

8. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Increased my calorie intake, upped my protein intake by ~ 20%, and made some technical improvements. Just did this on Saturday:

http://youtu.be/VxvFwasK1a4

I still wish I could eliminate the little courtship dance I do with the bar before I start the pull. Its just nerves, but the higher the required effort, the longer the dance takes lol.

9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Why did you stop? You had more reps there by the look of it ;)

10. MT77

MT77 Active Member

You're probably right. Here's the thing, and this is another mental glitch I suffer from. On those final sets of 5/3/1, the program states that you must do 5+ (or 3+ or 1+, depending on the week). This being a 5+ week, before the set, I ask myself how many I should shoot for. I thought about it, and, based on how I was feeling, told myself to get at least 6, and that 7 would be badass.

Once I hit 7, my will to continue dropped to zero. My body has delivered what my brain had set forth as the goal. It is virtually impossible for me to "go for 1 more" in this situation. Strange, I know, but thats how my brain is wired. :tu:

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Pulled 425 today as the last work set of 5/3/1 week 3 day 4. That's a new 1RM for me and puts me on pace to get to 500 lbs by the end of June 2012. I'm going to have to push a little harder. I want to see 500 before then...

I also attempted to pull 450 lbs 4 minutes after the the 425# pull, but got it to my knees and dropped it(before it passed the knees). I'm pretty sure that I could lock that out no problem if I get it past my knees. I'll likely be working deficit deads and also doing lighter weights in a manner that is more explosive for a while in order to work the first part of the pull.

:bb:

12. MichaelT

MichaelT Active Member

My personal best deadlift is 418 lbs / 190 kg at this point. Seems like I still have a long time to go until the 500 club :confused:

13. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Yeah.. this isn't going to happen by the end of 2011. I have added 30 pounds since the post I made on June 24th, and that would put me in a position to potentially hit 500 by the end of June in 2012. Goal adjusted. ;)

14. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

My latest progress.

405x3 ~ 445 lbs 1RM

I may test a true 1RM in the next few weeks, since I'll essentially be at the 6 month mark from my 400 lb 1RM. I have only been hitting DLs every other week, though, so it may have to be the day after Christmas.

Hmm... go for 450 or stay reasonable and shoot for 440-445? Any opinions?

15. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

I pulled a 455 this evening. Just hit 425 a couple weeks ago. 415 a couple weeks before that. I feel like I'm mostly grip-limited and I hate using straps. Almost lost my grip on this one. I think I should hit 500 soon if I can get my grip good enough.

16. Euphonicus

Euphonicus Active Member

Just hit 400 today, so I suppose I'm onto this challenge. Judging by how the pull went up, my absolute, grind it out 1RM is probably 410-415 right now. 85-90 lbs is a good amount of progress to make, but I'm hoping I can get there by the end of this year, which gives me a little over eight months.

17. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I am closer to this. I may get it at the 2 year mark, which means June of 2013. :p

I pulled 465 a few months ago and tonight I pulled a double at 450. Running a modified Coan-Phillipi shooting at 500 on June 1st at an Illinois Strongman Power Challenge(DL & Clean & Press).

18. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I never did get this. I pulled a double at 475 about four weeks out and a single at 490 three weeks out. I strained my lower back on the 490 pull and decided to unload for two weeks rather than taper. No work at all in an effort to still be able to compete.

The strongman event got cancelled due to weather(outdoor event). I ended up with three weeks off and was not able to ramp back up with a tweeky low back still.

I've been running a program favoring more volume and less of the high intensity sets lately. I may already have this, but am not planning on testing a 1RM for at least a few months.

Latest rep PR is 360x10. It was a plus set, but I planned 10 reps since I am feeling a deload sneaking up on me. Pretty sure I had a couple more in the tank.

19. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Of yourself, within a few weeks of the last post, I strained my low back doing bent barbell rows. Too much TUT on high rep sets, I guess. Aggravated it again a month or so later when I adjusted my pelvic tilt during a deadlift session. Been leaving deads out of the work since then.

Working back in just recently. All told, I probably skipped dead lifting entirely for about 6 months. Just pull a moderately challenging double at 420 on the last set of my session today. Felt solid.

Maybe this will be on the books soon?

20. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Still chasing this. Did 437.5x4 last week, with one rep in he tank. That puts me ~490-500 for 1RM. May not test for a while, though. Running a linear progression and enjoying novice gains on squats and deads again. I refuse to waste them this time.

The real question is whether I get to 500 on squat or deadlift first. :lol: