1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Thai Satay Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Phoenix, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Anyone who has a hankerin for a nice satay you don't always need to go out for one. I tried a couple types over the years and used to rely on a sauce bottle for part of the recipe but then I found this one.

Ingredients:
    450lb(1lb) chicken, pork, beef and even seafood like prawns works.

For the Marinade: This is optional you don't need to marinade the meat if you are short on time and can't be bothered but it can help to tenderize the meat and add a different flavour.

8-10 tblspns coconut milk
    up to 1 tblspn red curry past
    1 tblspn nam pla(fish sauce)
    1-2 tspns palm sugar

The Sauce:
    150ml(5 fl oz) coconut cream
    4 tblspns crunchy peanut butter
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    1 tblspn palm sugar
    2 tblspns nam pla(fish sauce)
    1 tspn chilli paste, or fresh chillies cut into strips
    1 lemon grass bulb or kaffir lime leaf equivalent to 1 tspn(very finely chopped or leave the lime leaf whole and remove after sauce is done)

Instructions:

Marinade

Trim fat of meat and cut into strips around 6 x 1 inch or shorter if you want. This is a good size for stir frying, if you are going to put the meat onto skewers then you can cut the the meat into more of a cube shape.
    Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix with the meat, leave for 1hr at room temp or 4 hrs in the fridge. For maximum flavour you can marinade it over night in the fridge.

Once marinated if you are using skewers then soak them in water for several hours first(reduces chances of burning on the bbq).
    Thread meat onto skewers, you can mix and match here. Two to three pieces should fit on a skewer, don't bunch them up too much.
    Cook on the bbq or grill on medium heat until done.
    To stir fry just cook in a wok or non stick pan untill cooked through.

Sauce:
    Very simple but easy to mess up a little if you do not take care. Combine ingredients and place into a wok or large pan. Use a low to medium heat and keep watch of the sauce stirring regularly. Keep going till the mixture is all combined, it is ok for some small bubbles to be forming but don't let it get too close to boiling. If this happens then the oil will separate out of the peanut butter and the sauce will look a bit coagulated. It will still taste great it will just not look as impressive especially if you have guest.

Great with rice, brown, white, or wild.

Extra Notes:

The great thing about sauce is that you can alter things a bit to suit your tastes. I cannot put more than 1 tspn of chilli into the sauce as it becomes too hot for my wife. If you are like Mr Stone and like it hot :mad: then try 2 tspns or more :scared:

I tend to put in extra coconut cream and around half the recommended amount of fish sauce otherwise it is too strong for my wife. This makes the sauce a more light brown colour, otherwise it ends up a darker brown colour. Next time I make it I will try to get a pic up.

It can take a couple of times to get the sauce right to your liking but that is the fun of cooking, when you do it will be a dish that can impress. I make it for friends they end up having to pick their tongues off the floor after eating it and it is very moorish :drool:
    It can be eaten the next day cold as well.

If you have a family event or a bunch of friends coming over you can double the sauce and make a variety of skewers up using all kinds of meats and serve with a bowl of sauce in the middle or individual sauce pots for people.
    For vegetarians make up vege skewers and replace the fish sauce with 1/2 tspn of turmeric(or just don't tell them :lol:)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, you can use low fat ingredients but it detracts from the taste.

#1 Phoenix, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I will enjoy this recipe, thanks for sharing it with us, phoenix. :tucool:

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This sounds like a really complicated recipe, with a lot of ingredients that I don't have. :scared: But I've recently been craving a lot more Thai food, so I might try to wing this with what I have available.

What is coconut cream? Is it in a can like coconut milk? I bought some coconut milk powder several weeks ago, which I find to be really, really convenient. Do you think I could just vary the water content to make this work for me? I also don't have curry paste. Should I buy some, or is there any way that I can substitute curry powder plus some other ingredients that I might already have?

No fish sauce either. And I have no chili paste, but sweet chili garlic sauce. Would that work, or is that an entirely different thing?

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Don't stress guava is really is an easy recipe and I am sure you will nail it.
    Coconut cream is basically coconut milk with less water added and it is bought in a can. You could boil down some coconut milk to thicken it up a tad or use more peanut butter to thicken it up :drool:
    Yes you could just make the powdered coconut milk up with less water.
    You will find that red curry paste is a very different taste to your run of the mill curry power and if you are going to use the marinade I would wait until you can get the red curry paste it is very cheap and lasts forever. You can also just use the paste with some coconut milk to make a red chicken curry for example. You need quite a few ingredients to make the paste from scratch ones that I don't even have.

That all being said the marinade is optional and you may find you prefer not to use it so put your efforts into getting the sauce right then the marinade you could always worry about later if you have trouble sourcing the paste.
    Regarding the chilli well I would not use the sweet chilli sauce :nope: it could end up badly for the taster :curses:.
    You could get either dried chilli flakes if you are desperate or fresh chillies or finally chilli paste from the supermarket.

We have two options over here to get the ingredients to make thai or asian recipes at home either the chinese grocers/shop or the supermarket. They have a asians foods isle that has some stuff in there.
    Are these options feasible for you ? The good thing is that these ingredients should be quite cheap and last a long time. I have some palm sugar that is over 2 yrs old and still great hehe.

Sorry if the initial recipe seemed complicated it is just all the anecdotal notes I provided to save people time and prevent them from making some of the mistakes I did when mastering this recipe.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Cool let me know how it rocks your world :nod:

6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Michael, this looks awesome! Lisa is going to the grocery store today, so I'll have her pick up the stuff we need for this recipe. I think I'm going to use chicken and make it on the grill using skewers.

Thanks for posting, I can't wait to try this!

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Did I miss an ingredient? I don't see PB listed as an ingredient in the sauce.

8. TrueBDB

TrueBDB Active Member

I didn't either, and I thought peanut butter was the key ingredient to a satay.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks Phoenix.

Yeah, I think I'd be the only one who eats it, so I was mainly worried about how long each of these ingredients would last in the fridge. My fridge is packed entirely full right now and probably couldn't fit anything else in it, so I think I will have to get those other guys to finish off a barbecue sauce and a jar of pickles before I pick up some curry paste. I've always meant to get some, but never known how to use it.

We have a beautiful and incredibly cheap Asian market about a half hour from home, so it won't be a problem once I commit to it. ;)

10. bluser

bluser Active Member

Hmm in regards to the red curry paste... if you're feeling adventurous you can make your own especially if you have a nice heavy mortar and pestle or a good food processor...

The ingredients are-

Red chilies, lemon grass, cilantro, shallots, galangal (or ginger if you can't find galangal), garlic, lots of lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, salt, peanut oil... some add shrimp paste but it’s not absolutely necessary... if you make it yourself you can be sure that there aren't any weird preservatives in your paste and you can control how much salt goes into it.

I sort of try and have the flavours balanced but if you like it spicy you can add more red chilies... I don't remember exact measurements but you can sort of play around with the proportions and figure out something that works for you... if not a quick google search should help you out. This also freezes very well so you can make a big batch and always have some on hand :)

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Arrgggg DOH x 10 :doh::doh::doh:

Sorry John that deserves a :spank:

I read it out when writing up the recipe but I forgot to write it in, thanks for picking that up and sorry to anyone who has tried to make the dish without PB or who might have made a trip to the shops without getting the PB.

How could I have missed the crucial ingredient :crazy: :cry:

It has been corrected... :o:p

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

I do have a red curry paste recipe in the same book but it takes some time to make and numerous ingredients are needed. Much easier to buy some for around $3 and you always have it on hand.
    Great in theory but knowing my situation I would have to make a batch up for me and then one to suit my better half.

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Don't sweat it, man! :)

Lisa managed to get almost all the ingredients yesterday. She had to go to three stores, including a specialty Asian shop, but just about everything will last quite some time. The only thing she could not find was fresh lemon grass, so she got dried.

I'm going to start marinading tonight, and will make it for dinner tomorrow night. :spaz:

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Lisa might have been saying under her breath "Bloody Australian making me run around the country side for a recipe." :evil:

Hehe I got the craving from all the talk about the satay recipe I had to make it and it was my last snack for the day. :) Enjoy your dinner big fella :tu:

Here are the ingredients lined up. The paste is the green curry version as I don't have the red at the moment, it comes in a small jar but it is concentrated. No idea if the green would go well instead of the red in the marinade.

[​IMG]

This is what the finished product looks like, cashews are just for decoration. I used half the amount of fish sauce and about double the coconut milk otherwise it would be a darker colour.

[​IMG]

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

What a great meal! I made satay and cucumber salad and it was awesome! I love the base recipe for the satay. I made a few changes, and there are a few changes I'll make next time as well. I'll post what I made along with the cucumber salad recipe in tomorrow's daily news update. In the meantime, here's the salad and the satay with peanut dipping sauce:

cucumber-salad.jpg

satay.jpg

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Good work John looks great, though I was expecting to see your skewers consisting of one whole chicken breast per skewer :lol: to feed the machine.

The beauty of the recipe is as you have said your self - it is easily changeable to suit individual tastes. Your satay sauce appears to be a much redder colour than mine.

There is a really nice indian cucumber salad that would suit the satay meal(originally paired with tandoori) greatly as well. From memory it is basically thinly sliced cucumber, chopped mint, garlic, salt, some lemon and thick yogurt.

17. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

I must say the photos make this look like two different dishes. What is the plate of PB? :confused: I'm looking to try some more foods and I must say what John made looks very tasty but I'm unsure if this is the correct recipe.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

I am not sure, maybe john mixed some red curry paste into the actual satay sauce(which there is nothing wrong with if you like it that way). That would definitely give it a redder colour, normally if I use the marinade I stir fry the chicken in a hot pan and drain a good portion off the meat/marinade mix before it hits the pan.

There a many variations of the satay sauce, the one I provided is close to what you might expect to see in a Thai restaurant.

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I did, but it was a mistake. :doh:

I mis-read the recipe and used curry paste and not chili paste in the peanut sauce. That's probably why I didn't think it was hot enough. :o

Next time I'll use chili paste, although I imagine the sauce will still look pretty red because I like a lot of heat.

20. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

So I marinade the chicken and then stir fry or grill it?

Ahh, this is making more sense to me now.