1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

TBT concern.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by krosspyder, Jul 28, 2006.

1. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Bi-lateral literally means two sides, so basically it means doing legs together. Unilateral is stuff like Bulgarian split squats or single legged stiff legged deadlifts.

EDIT: For 6:30 AM fogginess.

#21 MannishBoy, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Reverse that.

Unilateral is single limbed variations. Bilateral is normal two limbed exercises.

3. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Too early in the morning. Sorry :D I'll edit.

4. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

ah okay, thnx mannishboy.

so i think im going to go with this now...

This is a good routine.

Add some leg variation and it's good to go:

Monday
    Row
    Bench
    Overhead Press
    Abs

Tuesday
    Back Squat
    Good Morning
    Calves

Wednesday
    Off or cardio

Thursday
    Pullup
    Dips
    Upright Row
    Abs

Friday
    Front Squat
    Romanian Deadlift
    Calves

I'd probably 5 x 5 this if I was interesting in gaining mass. Alternating bench / row and pull-up / dips to save time and doing the rest as straight sets.

my question is.... how many weeks do i do this before moving on to another routine? or does that not matter... so as long as i swicth things up? whats the rest time?

5. krosspyder

omniflex said this in another thread

"There is one thing many seem to forget about. We are all built differently. Eating habits, lifestyle and, how often we exercise will play a factor on results.

Most of these guys, who offer their method on achieving results, base it upon their own achievements.

If your eating habits, lifestyle, and how your body is built, is not the same compared the person you're copying his/her program, your chances of getting the same results is 50/50.

I realized this, years ago when I would do the opposite, what everyone suggested, and get better results, than following their methods.

This is why, I follow my own method, and play it by ear. The best thing you can learn is how your body works. Only then, you’ll know what to do to achieve the results, you’re aiming for.

This is what the other guys/gals figured out, in which many of you admire so much, you are willing to mimic his/her program.

BTW, I did try the methods others suggested. But, all in all it was jumping up to 110 that made the difference."

i agree with this. my concern is that the above routine would be beneficial for my body type (meso-endo, easy gainer).

6. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I think your over thinking this dude. Core lifts and general set/rep volumes work for the mass population. 80-120reps per major muscle group per week using repeated efforts using %70-85 of your 1RM would work for most folks. Hardgainers would just have to eat more.

7. krosspyder

respected and noted. thnx man.

8. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

No problem. I'm refering to hypertrophy of course and i'm sure that's what your concentrating on. :)

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well you got good results from Swolecat, were you doing the opposite of his advice? Or did you do the same as he suggested? I agree about everyone being different, but sometimes the right answer is the right answer.

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Good point. Swolecat and Waterbury obviously have lots of experience and can put together things that work. I'm not to the level I feel like doing more than tweaking a program a bit yet, so I like Waterbury's templates to fill in my lack of overall knowledge. Others get good results from other programs, but generally, consistent adherance to an intelligently designed plan is a key for success.

I'm sure at some point, maybe I can make the change ups on a workout by workout basis I see experienced lifters like Mastover make, but I'm nowhere near there yet, either in overall physiological knowledge, or knowledge of what will really work for me on a personal level.

I guess that's why I'd call myself a low intermediate lifter :)

Keeping yourself interested and not stressing out is important, too, but constant second guessing of what you've decided to do isn't the answer until you've given it time to work or fail.

Just MHO.

11. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Honestly, the way I see is that CW is a little conservative with his rep/set and loading for an only-hypertrophy program. I would actually (and do, in fact) add a bit more volume to his programs- just enough to push the limits of overtraining, and ease back for a week to recover.

But for kross- don't overthink it. If you lift 5x5 for 8 weeks, then lift 4x8 for another 8, and then 3x12 for another, you will make steady and noticable progress. What Waterbury has you do in TBT is to use all these rep schemes in one program for one cycle. I think you should try them all out, and see what the mirror is showing you. Just be consistent, and work REALLY hard in the gym!

12. krosspyder

damn.. im a week into that 5x5 deal... and i already notice a differnce in mass.

great.

13. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

The Great Reg Park was a biggie on the 5x5

Attached Files:

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

He's got a huge tumor under his left arm :D

15. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

After posting that and looking at ole Reg...makes a guy want to go lift.:tu:

16. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

makes me want to get a haricut...

17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

EDIT: I thought we had answered this, and turns out we did. However for some reason today I forgot that and answered it again. Skip reading this unless you want another take on that.

Bilateral means two sides. Lots of people only do bilateral leg exercises - where both legs do the same thing. The usual two-legged squat is an example.

Unilateral means one leg at a time. Unless you are a professional sack racer, you don't use your legs two at a time. Walking, running, going up stairs, normally it's one leg than the other.

Unilateral leg exercises include lunges, split squats, single stiff legged deadlifts, pistol squats, etc. It's a lot like the difference between barbell and dumbell for your arms. There are a lot of things that can hide from you during two leg exercises - no matter how heavy. If you do one leg exercises there is nowhere to hide.

I don't think it should all be unilateral though. You don't tend to load the back quite as much with unilateral work, and that's good for giving your back a break, but sometimes you want to get heavy with the back and for that, big old two leg barbell squats and deadlifts are one of the better answers.

18. Blob

Blob Well-Known Member

Hi Kross,
    I just finished my second day of a 5x5 version of a modified TBT plan, and I've got a pretty good pump going. :bb:

I too was kind of concerned about the constant variation in TBT, so I used it as a template, changed some of the exercises to match my home equipment, and threw in a couple of things from CW's Set/Rep Bible and 10x3 for Fat Loss program, and I think I got a pretty decent plan (for me). I plan to go for 6-8 weeks on this unless it gets stale, upping the lbs or shaving the rest period each week. Unlike TBT, I'll probably keep the exercises the same for the duration.