1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Targeted Keto Diet - What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by cwbolton, Mar 5, 2012.

1. cwbolton

cwbolton Active Member

I was looking into Keto diets as the diet i am on now is high protein low carb moderate fats and just thought it looks like a good way to cut bodyfat even thought the concepts are a little strange to the 'average dieter' Such as 1g of protein per lb of LBM, then take around 30-50g of carbs away from your total calories which will have been calculated from your maintenance x activity factor then the rest of the calories come from fats so it would be around 144g protein 210-249g fats and 30-50g carbs for a 176lb individual like myself. But then they reccomend a weekend 'refeed' or carb up such as friday afternoon through to saturday night, during this period they reccomend taking in 10-12g for every kg of bodyweight meaning i would have to eat 176g protein, 80g (Max) fats and 800-960g carbs over a 48 hour period which seems a RIDICULOUS amount, is this right what im reading for a CKD?

Getting the foods and being strict isnt a problem, my job allows me to eat fairly frequently (At least every 3 and a half hours) id say im around 18% BF (I think) and wanting to get quite lean to enjoy summer and then bulk up after wards so being as lean as possible without loosing much muscle or even building a bit as i used to be bigger but stopped working out is the goal. Would this diet be right for me on a strength training program with additional HIIT cardio? The concept of a TKD is to only eat carbs around your workouts for fuel and is seen to be good for muscle gain/fat loss

What do you guys think? What is your experience with it?

Many thanks

#1 cwbolton, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. user786

user786 Active Member

In a Nutshell Yes it will Work as long as you are in a overall defecit .
    keto suitability Depends on how well you go without carbs , i have done them in the past but from experience have found i function better both
    mentally and physically eating moderate carbohydrates. Also i have had better strength retention /gains whilst eating plenty of good carbs rather than totally eliminating them.

IMO getting from 18% ish body fat to low teens is achievable
    WITHOUT carb manipulation .Any reasonable diet will work . i would just go with a 40c/40p/20 fat diet
    eating plenty of good wholesome food .and maintain a 300-500 calorie defecit .

once you drop to 10% bf and if you plateu then you can start playing
    with carb cycling .

if you get some time to kill have a look at
    http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10&order=desc&page=2

there is a fair amount of good imformation about Ketogenic diets.

#2 user786, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012