1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Tapering for a Centry Ride

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by losh96, Aug 11, 2014.

1. losh96

losh96 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am riding my first century ride this Sunday (I completed a 75 mile ride about a month ago).

I have been training a around 6-8 hours per week (80-120 miles).

What would be the best approach to tapering this week before the big ride on Sunday to make sure my legs are fresh? A couple of medium intensity 25-30 mile rides Tuesday and Thursday (Monday is my off day usually)?

Thanks!

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

You could probably get a solid training ride in on Tuesday, that's early enough out that it won't hurt you on Sunday. In fact, I think it would help you. Something like 50-60 miles @ Zone 3/Tempo.

Maybe get a light ride on Wednesday (or take that day off if you prefer that to recovery rides), then a 30-40 miles Zone 2/Endurance ride on Thursday.

I'd keep Friday and Saturday very short (20-30 miles) and light (Zone 1/Recovery), or take one or both of those days off.

On that note, personally I find that short and very light rides (in Zone 1/Recovery) are much better than time completely off the bike, but you know yourself better than anyone. Do whatever makes you feel most rested.

Also, be sure to hydrate all week long, and eat plenty of healthy foods.

Good luck on your century. That very first 100 mile ride is a significant milestone, and something you'll never forget! Have fun, and enjoy the ride. :tucool:

3. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Great information, thanks. I'm planning on doing my first century at the end of September (http://www.seagullcentury.org/), with my current longest ride being 81 miles.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Awesome, I'm looking forward to some great first century reports! Ride safe and have fun. :)

5. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I finished my first century this past weekend! It was a blast, and I'll certainly be doing another one in the future. It was on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and it led down to Assateague Island where the famous wild horses run, and there were indeed some running around right along the road we were riding. Very cool.

Physically, I was running out of gas in the last 10 - 15 miles, which I think is largely due to the fact that I was riding on hybrid tires. My brother and uncle both had really nice road tires and they pulled way ahead and smoked me at the end. I wanted to pick up road tires for my hybrid bike, but a few days before the century BOTH my bikes got stolen off my 2nd floor balcony, so I had to run out and scramble to buy a whole new bike just to do the ride. Since I was already spending 500+ dollars, I couldn't justify splurging for road tires as well.

My goal was to average at least 15mph, which I managed to accomplish (just barely!). I'll be hitting my legs hard in the gym this winter to build up more strength and endurance in preparation for another century in the spring or summer.

Attached Files:

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on your accomplishment!

7. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes yes, grats... and sorry your bikes were stolen. :mad:

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Great job! In addition to weight training, try some interval training as well. Keep riding, and have FUN!

Very sorry about the theft. :mad: