1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Taking the next step - reducing bf%

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Katie32, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Katie32

Katie32 Active Member

Hi everyone,
    Real quick history - I have been lifting since October and have seen some progress, but I just had my bf% checked (calper) and it was 30.3%!! Talk about depressing - after all my hard work. I eat pretty healthy, 70-80% clean, and I lift 3 days a week. I haven't been doing much cardio because I was afraid it would hurt my muscle building. I am going to try and start running on my off days and I am hoping that will help, but my worst areas are my arms and abs (just lack of definition). If anyone can point me in the right direction to get my bf% down to anywhere from 15-20% I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    - Sorry the photos are so bad - I was taking them myself! I will work on getting better ones soon!
    Workout 002.jpg
    Workout 001.jpg
    Workout 003.jpg
    Workout 004.jpg

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, don't go by the numbers.

I don't believe that you're 30.3%. I'd say you're about 20-24%, which is a very healthy body fat percentage, and it looks like your body weight is between the low end and the middle of the ideal range as well. Sounds like your goal is to lose about the same amount of fat as you gain muscle; is that true?

You could do cardio, or not do cardio, depending on your preference.

Are you lifting to failure?
    Are you counting calories? tracking your macronutrient values? How often do you eat, and do you get proper post-workout nutrition?

3. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

No way you are 30%.

And if you were but still looked to be fit (and you do), why is a number important to you to the point of being discouraging? Numbers like that are good ways to track progress, but are not the important thing in the end. The important thing is being healthy and looking it, not a number.

(and clean your mirror ;))

4. Katie32

Katie32 Active Member

Guava,

Thanks for your insight. I am not very educated on all the nutrition aspects, and I do not count calories. I am eating about 5 small meals a day - oatmeal w/peanut butter, tuna, chicken, salad (lettuce & olive oil), fruit, V8, cheese. I am using a workout program right now but I am in the process of manipulating it so that I am doing my sets to failure. Right now I am doing a 4 week rotation where I do 3 sets of 10, 3 sets of 15, 4 sets of 10 and 4 sets of 12. I think I need to start to do 3 sets of 15, 12 then 10 so that I can do each set to failure. Unless you have a better idea this is the best I have come up with, but any help would be welcome.
    Thanks

5. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Lifting to failure has a nice mentality to it but the benifits of lifting to failure haven't been conclusively proven

How do you track weight increases with your current rep & set rotation? It seems overly complex

I think perhaps you'd be better off with a simple 5x5 or 3x6-8 , at the very least your gains would be easier to track

What does your current workout plan look like?