1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Swim, Bike, Run 70.3 - My HIM Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I did it! Not a bad brick! (despite the crazy long transition)

40' on the trainer - 25' in an easy gear (HR at about 130'ish), 10' harder (HR 150'ish), and 5 easier to ease out of the bike. Kept RPM high - over 90 for most of it.

Quickly got changed to get out for the run and then tried to figure out how to switch the exercise from Bike to Run on my Polar S625X. I thought it was easy (by holding down a button), but I was wrong. Couldn't get it so gave up after 15 minutes and just left on the run.

Did 30' out on the streets near my house (several laps). Just took it easy, although the hills were tough. Ended up at only 4.8 km, but whatever, that'll get better when I get more used to bricks.

2. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

OMG, see! I knew I would bugger it up! I didn't even bother googling pictures of them when I posted that, just in case, because I was worried about like, him being "the fat one".

I'm impressed by your riding/running. But, um, what's a brick?

3. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

A brick is a back-to-back workout that triathletes do to prep for a race.

More often than not, it's a bike/run brick. Swimming is a pain in the ass to brick, generally.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol: Bricked a swim/run today. :rolleyes:

25 minutes in the pool, a fair amount of pull work - I need to go back and do some lessons as my form is some kinda shit right now.

Followed it up with 25 minutes on the treadmill. Dislike the equipment and the system (stupid signup for treadmills crap) at the pool's gym. I like my regular gym better, I think.

5. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Silver, have you ever used rollers?

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:confused: Like...Rollerblades? Yes. Foam rollers? Once as a stretching tool, but my gym is a bunch of assholes and keeps them in the "personal training only" section.

Or another kind of rollers?

7. Chopaholic

:nod: This kind. I'll take that as a no, then. Me neither. :confused:

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

OH! That kind of roller. :doh: I haven't looked at trainers and rollers in so long that I forgot about them altogether. Personally, I think they're crazy. :eek:

It's the same idea as my trainer, I have a CycleOps Fluid Trainer, (although mine is older) except way crazier.

9. Chopaholic

Well, sort of. I hear they're great for developing form, but I haven't had a chance to try them. :confused: Trainers irritate my knee; I suppose the rollers aren't much better in that regard.

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Do trainers irritate your knee more than actually riding? :confused: Is it an issue of the type of resistance?

11. Chopaholic

Yep; riding doesn't bother me at all (thankfully). I was chatting with a guy at my bike shop about it, and he said it happens to a lot of people because you're so static. Apparently, you are constantly making micro-adjustments on the road that you don't make on the trainer. Totally made sense. :nod: I was wondering if in keeping yourself upright on the rollers, you tend to do a bit of the same? Or maybe once you get your technique down, you don't. :confused:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting and it does make sense.

Silver I have an trainer that's similar to your's that is gathering dust in the basement. Knowing how much I hate indoor cardio I really didn't give enough thought to the purchase. As a consequence of rarely using it I have no idea if I would experience any knee irritation.

I've never used rollers, but know some racers who do, and they generally prefer them to trainers because of the added imperative to maintain one's balance. Supposedly a fairly steep learning curve, especially the first few times.

13. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Yeah, that makes total sense. You'd have to micro-adjust on rollers all the time - part of the keeping balance thing. It'd be inevitable.

I have two ways of making it somewhat bearable - either I set up my laptop in front of me and watch a movie/tv show (usually on headphones because the trainer is still kinda noisy) or I listen to an audiobook. That can keep me going for 30 - 60 minutes, usually. I don't know about longer without a break yet - but I'm sure I'll have to figure it out in the next little bit.

The other thing that I've heard works well (although I haven't really done any) are Spinervals DVDs. I only have one or two, so have never really followed up on that. I probably should, though.

Rollers just scare me - my balance is shit to begin with - I can't even ride without hands anymore (used to ALL the time as a kid). I'd bail so fast.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've tried the tv approach and while it does make it less arduous of a task, I still find myself loathing the experience. I'm the same way with the treadmills at my gym; I'd much rather be outside.

I have a Spinervals DVD that came with my trainer that I used a couple few times and I found it helpful.

I'm with you regarding rollers; I don't trust my balance enough and for the type of riding that I do (non competitive) I don't see a need.

Good luck with your trainin.

15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. I've gotta say, yesterday on the treadmill, I wanted to shoot myself. I found myself wondering how much longer I had left very literally after 3 minutes. I'm so used to running outside now that I don't enjoy the tread for much other than intervals (not good at doing those outside yet).

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know exactly what you mean. :lol:

Your observation about the utility of treadmills for intervals is something that I've noticed also. I don't do them too often, but every once in a while I'll do so as a change of pace.

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

45 minutes on the trainer this morning - 10' easy, 12' hard, 3' easy, 12' hard, 8 easy for cool down

Gym this afternoon to be:

Negative pullups (unassisted)
    Lunges
    Military press
    Deadlifts
    DB rows

18. BJD77

BJD77 Active Member

I know what you mean about being outside silver! Got on the tread tonight for 30min and it was a loooooong 30 min. An hr with tobey not nearly as painful and I do push it when I walk with him.

Good job on all the recent activity. You seemed to have really stepped it up.:tu:

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks BJD! I'm doing my best. Good luck with Tobey, hopefully you get a chance to get out with him on the weekend! How does he like the snow?

Hit the gym tonight - did 5 minute warmup on the elliptical

Negative neutral grip pullups (tried to do 5 - 8 seconds per negative)
    Deadlifts 10x95, 10x95, 8x115
    BB Military 12x45, 10x65, 8x60
    Walking lunges 16x50, 16x50, 16x60

Skipped the DB rows, giving my back and arms a break.

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

1:04, 9.13 km in the park. Bought some Yaktrax Pro today - they worked AWESOME on the ice. AWESOME.