1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Swim, Bike, Run 70.3 - My HIM Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Aug 10, 2008.

1. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Weekends?? Oh it is Monday morning there now isn't it?

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

If by Monday morning, you mean about 9:30 on Sunday night, then yes. We're way behind, heh.

3. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, VERY early Monday morning! :eek: That IS what I meant.

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Nice little wine cellar you have there:drool: do you have an actual cellar or have you bought one of those electric wine cellar things?

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hi J! :wave:

We have a crawlspace here and it stays pretty cool. It's not perfect conditions, so I would like to pick up a decent electric cellar/wine fridge/whatever will work to keep the temps steady.

I'd like to hold on to the 2005's for ten + years and maybe sell some of them (unless I'm doing very well financially, in which case I'd just drink them :lol: ). In order to do that, I think proper storage will be key.

6. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:nod:essential I would say. Sure hope you do well financially over next few years:D:D

7. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I think that, once a week, I'll start doing a weigh in with scale measurements (I have an Omron HBF-500). It's not that I put a lot of stock in the accuracy of the numbers, but if I use the same device consistently, I'll be looking for consistent improvement.

January 19, 2009

Weight: 248.2 lbs
    BF%: 30.0
    Skeletal Muscle: 33.3%
    BMI: 33.7
    Resting Metabolism (RM): 2188
    Visceral Fat: I forget :lol:

Oh well. Today will be on the trainer for as long as I can stand it (need to get my bike seat ass muscles back into shape) and then might hit the gym later if I've got enough time.

One note on what I'm doing differently this time: I'm not, at this point, actually calculating my caloric intake. I'm simply trying to eat heatlhy meals/snacks every 3 - 4 hours. Taking the time to do the caloric intake thing is simply too frustrating most of the time. If I find I start getting off track, then I'll probably start doing it again, but I have a reasonable idea now that healthy food doesn't have to be calculated to the calorie. I've learned enough that I have a pretty good idea what is healthy and what isn't and what appropriate portion sizes are.

I'll go with it for now and hope it works.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:nod: It's fairly cool in the crawlspace - never above about 18 or 19C and never below, probably 16? It's not "perfect", but good. It gets a bit dry at times, so I try to keep a few buckets of water in there to help humidify it.

Wine is good :)

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on the run today, especially because the conditions weren't too good and you didn't use that as an excuse.

I'd like to chime in to the conversation about wine/booze and eating, but the less I think of such things while in the SJC the easier it is for me. Come February, now that's a different story. :lol:

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Probably a good idea to keep quiet, for now, then! :lol:

Managed 35 minutes on my bike before my ass couldn't take it anymore. Watching Babylon A.D. Looks interesting, so far. Will take it up again a bit later. May even get back on the bike for another 30 minutes of TITS (time in the saddle).

11. BJD77

BJD77 Active Member

Time in the saddle that is exactly what I thought you meant...LOL

I have decided to do the same thing as far as calorie intake. I am going to keep eating really good and be consisitent with my workouts. If after awhile I dont see any progress than I will change my approach.

Hopefully this approach works for both of us :)

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:nod: It works well if you're careful and you have a pretty good idea of what you're putting into yourself insofar as what you want to achieve.

For example, I spent more than enough time managing every single calorie that went into my mouth that I now have a good idea of what most of my meals contain calorically. It took me awhile to gain that kind of insight and may have to go back to it if it stops working this way, but we'll see.

13. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Rather than further punish my ass, I elected to go down to the gym before picking Angus up from daycare.

10 minute warmup on the bike (puts me at 45 for the day, sweetness), then:

Assisted Pullups - 12x100, 10x100, 3x100, 4x120
    Squats (rack was empty!) - 10x45, 12x95, 10x115, 8x125
    Bench DB Press - 12x50, 12x70, 10x70
    SLDLs - 12x70, 12x90, 10x90
    Bent-over BB row - 12x50, 10x70, 10x70

I've really gotta write this crap down, I totally forgot half of the weights for what I did. I think this is right, though. Some of the numbers are estimates because I don't remember the number of sets at what weights, :doh:.

Note on the assisted pullups, I started with a neutral grip, then went wide grip, then switched to a chin up grip.

Note on the squats (and everything else), I'm weak :cry:

Will hurt tomorrow. I think I'm going to seek some feedback in the Beginner forum for a strength regime for my goals.

14. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

i think when you have a decent idea about good nutrition and quite a few pounds to drop, this should work fine:nod:

sounds good ;)

does he get to play with other dogs at daycare:spaz:?

15. BJD77

BJD77 Active Member

doggy daycares are awesome if you can work them in your schedule. Im trying to. Some days it is all i can do to get myself and my two boys out the door. Not a morning girl AT ALL!!

Jedi, this is the website of our local one...pretty cool the stuff they offer

http://www.adirondackpetlodge.com/

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Quick morning weigh in:

January 20, 2009

Weight: 250.6 lbs
    BF%: 28.3
    Skeletal Muscle: 34.2%
    BMI: 34
    Resting Metabolism (RM): 2202
    Visceral Fat: 14

Apparently, I'm a beast. I spend an hour in the gym and suddenly I gain mass and reduce BF :D :flex:

Now I've gotta hop in the car, drive to Whistler, do some work, drive home, do more work, walk the dog, etc. Will reply later!

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:nod: He plays with other big dogs all day at the daycare - they do 2 hour off leash walks in the woods and he comes home exhausted. It's great!

Very interesting looking place, there BJD. Looks like the schedules for pickup and drop off are fairly open and like the daycare would be quite fun - and a good price to boot! I'd be too much of a sentimentalist to be able to leave him there as a boarding dog, though, I think. The boarding facilities look very "warehouse" in nature.

We're suckers and board Angus with a woman who owns a different daycare than the one he normally goes to (as this woman's is very far from where we live). She takes him to daycare during the day and then takes him home with her at night to hang out in her house as part of her family. She has two dogs of her own, one of whom gets along very well with Angus (a young labradoodle named Noodle) and usually boards about 5 other dogs at once. The crazy part is that she only charges $30 including daycare and homecare. She's nuts, but we love her. It's as inexpensive as any other boarding that we've found and is in WAY better conditions. Very lucky to have found her.

On a nutritional note - I did very well today, despite the running around all day. I had my usual McD's breakfast (only have it on Tuesdays when I go to Whistler - a bacon and egg mcmuffin with a hashbrown - only 480 cals, although higher in fat than I'd like...still not bad) and then had a grilled chicken breast burger for lunch. That's much better than I usually eat on those days.

As for how I feel today? I'm not sure what I was thinking going so hard at it at the gym yesterday because today, I am SORE. Ah well, it's the price I'm paying.

I also realized today that I really need to focus on losing weight if I want to be able to fit into my wetsuit in time for the race! Best get to :bb:'ing as much as possible!

18. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

You know, I realised today when I was at the gym, that for some weird reason in my head I always imagine you'd sound or look like the dude from Barenaked Ladies. You know, like that song One Week? It was playing at my gym. I have no idea what they look like, so my sincerest apologies if the dude's hideously ugly, and you fancy yourself to be a bit of a dreamboat, but it was a weird thing to think.

Anyway, how good are hash browns? I used to hate them as a kid, but now I love them. Eating one today would kind of almost makes up for that stupidly sore feeling you've probably got.

19. BJD77

BJD77 Active Member

Dunkin Donuts has hashbrown circles for 99 cents and they are yummalicious. My biggest weakness if fried food.

kate I had to look up images of barenaked ladies ... lol

Im so addicted to this website and it is great to talk to people that are experiencing the same things as myself. One of you is from Canada and the other from South Australia. Sweet! We are like our own United Nations...hee hee

I love reading your posts kate because you have many cultural experiences that I do not but still have some similarities. Love of wine, dogs and a taste for good food

BTW Silver good luck on the weight loss. YOU CAN DO IT :tucool:

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:confused: The fat one? They're awesome live, btw. If you ever get a chance, go see them.

Almost!...but not quite :cry:

Thanks BJD! I know I can, too!

Today will be a bike/run brick, I believe. I'll probably hop on my bike for about 30 - 45 minutes and then go for a 30'ish minute run. Or at least that's what my plan says that I'll do (actually, it says to do a double brick of 20 on the bike, 15 run, 20 bike, 15 run).

This will hurt, I assume.