1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet potatoes or Yams?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by pr22, Aug 7, 2006.

1. pr22

pr22 Active Member

I'm confused on which I should be having, both seem to have their benefits. Yams have less sugar and this website says that their carbs are good for weight loss. But a lot of people here have recommended sweet ptoatoes because of their complex carbs.

They have different stats;

Yams: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=113
    Sweet potatoes: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64

Which do I have? I don't even know whether I've been eating giant sweet potatoes or yams this week (mom just randomly bought a bunch while I was home), and these things were huge so I'm thinking that they're yams?

Any suggestions?

2. crupiea

crupiea Well-Known Member

I can understand your confusion, I kind of figured it out. I bought sweet potatoes that were labeled as such in the store. They were smaller and kind of green on the inside. Delicious.

For some reason, as soon as I start buying food and adding it to my diet, they stop carrying it so I bought the yams. They were Thanksgiving orange inside and did not have anywhere near the flavor of the sweet potatoes. They are the huge tuber looking things as opposed to the smaller tuber looking things.

Anyway, San Diego seems to no longer stock sweet potatos, I guess I ate more than I thought, so now I eat brown rice in their place.

I feel the sweet potatoes have more vitamins than yams and are in general pound for pound better for you. I could be wrong though.

When you buy them make sure they say sweet potato, not yams. They difference in flavor in night and day. I make mashed potatos out of them, just boil them, then mash up. Yummy.

3. pr22

pr22 Active Member

Yeah went to buy some today and all they had were yams and they looked much more like what I've been eating today than not.

Gonna try again tommorow and see if I can find them again. Also I don't remember what sweet potatoes taste like to compare with yams, I'm sure they're sweeter but TBH I don't even pay attention to what I'm eating anymore since I just watch or read something while chowing down.

4. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're buying the canned ones with a boat load of sugar added, I think you'll be fine either way.

JMO though; I'm not an expert on either food.

5. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

I'm not a food expert either, but I can tell you with some certainty that there is no huge nutritional advantage to one or the other. They're both awesome sources of complex carbs, two of the best.

6. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes have a browner skin and a more orange/reddish inside.

#6 Coachese, Aug 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  7. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/sweetpotato.html

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What you have pictured are called garnet yams in the U.S. There are 2 types of yams that are sold in Whole Foods where I live: garnet and jewel.

Below is the jewel yam.

[​IMG]

According to every source on the internet, both are in fact different forms of sweet potato.

See, e.g., http://www.foodsubs.com/Sweetpotatoes.html

I know that technically Sweet Potatoes have more carbs than Yams...(or is it the other way around?) but what the calorie nutrition counters use for their yams and sweet potatoes... I have not clue.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Once I get off this current lowish carb diet I'm on, I've GOT to bake me some more sweet potatoe chips with splenda and cinnamon. :eat: You guys are giving me a craving...

10. Ziegenbak

Ziegenbak Active Member

OMG <3

Post that recipe please. I don't care if it tempts your low carb diet or not :evil:

11. DLiquid

DLiquid Active Member

So what is it that makes sweet potatoes and yams healthier than regular potatoes?

12. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Well, for one, sweet 'potatoes' aren't really potatoes. ;)

However, the sweet potato is double the fiber, translates to less insulin reaction, great source of iron, vitamins B6, A and C and beta-carotene. Also, they are a tremendous source of anti-oxidants.

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Nothing to it, really.

Slice potatoes to desired thickness (too thin they burn, too thick they don't really crisp). Spray a baking sheet with no fat cooking spray, then place chips on it. Spray tops of chips, too. Sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda. Bake for about 25-30 minutes (until they start to crisp). I think I used 350. Flip halfway through, and sprinkle other side.

If you have a slicer or mandolin, that would work to slice them uniformly, btw.

I guess you could toss them in a plastic bag with the coating before putting them on the sheet, too. You could mix your cinnamon and splenda if you used the granular to make the sprinkling stuff similar to what you'd use for cinnamon toast.

Alternately, they aren't bad spicy, either. I've done cayanne/chipotle/or paprika and salt. Depends on my mood, but I'll do both sometimes on the same sheet :)

14. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Answered my question, thanks! The search feature does work!

Sweet Potato mashed with garlic and black pepper is the bomb!