1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Supplements

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Abby, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs. and tone my body so you can see muscle definition (not too much though!) And I was wondering...... can I follow the same concept that John is using? Should I be taking Whey Protein powder, glutamine, etc?? I know I can do the same cardio and weight training.... but what about the supplements? :eat:

2. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

Take supplements that will allow you to tone as well as give you the energy to do so, so creatine, glucosamine sulfate (which i take for my knees), whey and soy protein, a multi-vitamin, anti-oxidant, vitamin b, zinc and magnesium.

I also take something called tribulus which is great and even better when used with hydroxycut. After hard works I'll follow with some Cell-Tech (from Muscle-Tech).

3. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

I also have the similar problem. I have been excercising for a few years, n though I am not looking for huge muscles, but definitely I want to look toned.

Recently, my hubby recommended me to take Whey powder together with him, but I am afraid that I might develop manly muscles if I do that. And also, on rest days, we also must drink our supplements as well. Why is that necessary ? :rolleyes:

4. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

If anything, I thought that females should be taking in more whey protein than males? Don't worry about bulking, whey and soy proteins help females with toning.

And although you take these on your off days too, it doesn't mean it's not doing anything. On your off days is the most important time as your body is busy recovering and rebuilding and needs protein and supplements on those days too.

5. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Black Beauty. :tu: I will monitor the progress and make sure there is no "Bulking".

Will be doing my workout tonight, but before that, got to work now ! ;)

6. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Women DO NOT build muscle very easily. Unless you're using a lifting regime designed for muscle bulk, it's not accidently going to fall onto you. And unless you use steroids, you're never going to look like a she-man. Protein powders won't "bulk" you anymore than chicken breasts will. It's just another form of protein. If you want to see your muscles, you need to lower your bodyfat.

7. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

I concur! Welcome to the board, Chopaholic :)

8. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I don't know of anyone, male or female, who ever woke up one day and said, "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WHERE DID THESE MUSCLES COME FROM?!#$@"

;)

It takes a long, long time to add muscle, and it's especially difficult for most women. Don't worry about getting too bulky - you won't.

9. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

all the time, women in the gym say "i dont want to look like HER" and point to some poster of a female pro bodybuilder, as if it took her a short 6 months to go from pudgy to ultra-ripped, with 18" arms, etc. little do they know, that most if not all females that turn out like that are heavy heavy heavy users of steroids, pro-hormones, growth hormone, etc. look at their jaw line, growth hormone accentuates it. you cannot and will not turn out like a muscled mamma at 3% bodyfat because its impossible without "assistance"

10. teencraft

teencraft Well-Known Member

Woudln't Soy Protein be better for the femininas than Whey? Or at least not as bad as soy is for men? I mean extra estrogen can't hurt the fems, right?

11. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

this is a common misconception about the isoflavones in soy protein. people think that if men drink soy milk, they grow breasts. wrong! here is a good article about it. Basically, the phytoestrogens help remove an excess amount of bad estrogen. ::

"
    Does consumption of soy adversely effect male fertility and masculinity?

Soy contains active plant compounds called phytoestrogens or isoflavones. These compounds are similar in shape and size to human estrogens produced by both women and men. However, unlike human estrogen which can cause disease in humans when in excess or deficiency, "phytoestrogens have a built-in barometer, acting like estrogen or anti-estrogen depending on the body's needs." When the body needs estrogen, phytoestrogens help to bring the balance to a healthy level. Similarly, when an excess of estrogen is detected in the body, phytoestrogens will help to lower the level by blocking the more potent human form of estrogen (1).

Since soy contains a plant-based form of estrogen, concern has been raised regarding the potential for soy to have a negative effect on fertility and sperm production in men. It is true that in the 1940's farmers observed a decline in fertility of rams that grazed on red clover rich in phytoestrogens. However, the sheep's intake of phytoestrogens was at an extremely high level, nearly 100 - 500 times greater than an isoflavone-rich human diet (1).

For humans there has been no evidence that a diet rich in isoflavones is harmful to men and while there is currently no scientific research that has determined the upper limit of soy a person can eat, in Asian countries such as Japan, China and Korea where the daily intake of soy protein is over 10 times higher than that of Westerners (2), infertility does not look to be a problem (1).

In addition, a major study conducted by researchers from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine found that infants fed soy formula grew to be just as healthy as those raised on cow's milk formulas. The study evaluated 811 men and women between the ages of 20 and 34 who had participated in soy and cow's milk studies as infants. No significant differences were found between the groups in more than 30 health areas including adult height, weight, body mass index, infertility and timing of puberty (3).

As with any health issue, we highly recommend speaking with your physician about your concerns regarding soy and your health.

Refrences:

1. Wharton, Lynda. "Boy oh soy."
    http://health.nzoom.com. September 2003.

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/3421.html. September 2003.

3. Brian L. Strom, MD; Rita Schinnar, MPA; Ekhard E. Ziegler, MD; Kurt T. Barnhart, MD; Mary D. Sammel, ScD; George A. Macones, MD; Virginia A. Stallings, MD; Jean M. Drulis, BA; Steven E. Nelson, BA; Sandra A. Hanson, BA. JAMA. 2001; 286:807-814. "