1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Supplements for tendonitis?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by hourglassy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. hourglassy

hourglassy Active Member

This question is on behalf of a co-worker who has had tendonitis in one ankle for almost a year. She's done physical therapy, exercises, etc. but it's been kind of hard to heal 100% since it's really not practical to stay off one's feet for an extended period of time. As she tells me, it comes and goes...some days are ok, but if she's on her feet a long time the pain comes back.

Are there any supplements which may help along the healing process? Glucosamine? Recently I've heard that silica may help for inflammation, is this accurate?

2. NotNamedDan

NotNamedDan Active Member

I have nasty tendonitis in both arms from working in a warehouse. I take glucosamine and fish oil and that seems to help. Chondroitin would be the only other thing I'd expect most people to mention, I've just never bothered to take glucosamine that has that with it.

Fish oil and glucosamine are the way I'd go.

3. dano

dano Well-Known Member

Cissus Quadrangularis, hands down.

I have had quadracep tendonitis like forever. It has been more severe in the last several months. It got to the point where I could not squat even close to parallel. I would have to push off on the arms of a chair to get up.

I have been taking 2800 mg in the morning and 2800 mg in the evening for the last 3 days. I am now able to get out of a chair without bracing an dcan get parallel on a squat. Not quite ready to add weight though. I am not sure what to expect with this stuff but so far it has been pretty amazing.

Glucosimin/Chondroitin/Fish Oil has not helped my tendonitis one bit. Joints are great though !

4. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

I have always used ice, traumeel ointment (3-4 times per day) and MSM (500mg) plus glucoseamine SULFATE 1500 mg per day.

The ice is great as an ice cube massage. 5 minutes 2-3 times per day- just rub the cube directly on the skin. Space it out time wise- morning noon and night.

MSM is the anti-iflammatory... I would suggest that over Glucoseamine (which is great for rebuilding the tendon). 500 mg.

Glucoseamine... make sure it is KCL (sulfate) NOT HCL (hydrochloride). 1500 mg.

Traumeel. Check out this web site: www.heelusa.com
    I have used this in my practice for years. It comes in tablet, liquid, ointment and gel. I like them all. The gel is good if you use it with ultrasound. The cream is great with a dab of massage lotion for some strong cross-friction work.

I hope this helps!!!

Dr. Jen

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I absolutely agree. Same chemical, same dosage. I'm a post-arthroscopic subject. My knees haven't hurt and I lift heavy. I've been taking Glucosamine Sulfate for about a year. There is a reference on the Net. If you like, I will find it for you.

6. hourglassy

hourglassy Active Member

Thanks for the replies, guys :tucool:

I will pass on the info. She already takes fish oil caps regularly and has tried glucosamine, which has helped but the pain is still there. Ditto with physical therapy that includes ice and strengthening exercises - but it has been a year already.

I'll have her look into the cissus (had never heard of this one before) and ETS.

7. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

Any of these useful for a diabetic? I was all set to start taking Glucosamine sulphate, and found a fair amount of info, suggesting, it could worsen insulin resistance,....I have been battling a distal bicep tendon for several months now. Not exactly sure if it's inflamed, pulled, partially torn, or what, but it is painful every day, and I sure can't do bicep lifts, the way I should,... Suggestions?

Thanks very much,...>>>--->

8. hourglassy

hourglassy Active Member

Not sure about the others, but glucosamine-chondroitin does not seem to affect diabetics:

link to study